Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why World of Warcraft is the King of Kings, The Greatest, The number one of all MMO's.

Comments

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser
    Originally posted by Wizardry

If i was to scour the entire gaming database for ideas,there is not ONE single aspect of game design i would use from Wow.So how does that shake you for quality?

What has been hilarious to watch is how Wow an identical copy of EQ2 but with cheaper graphics tries to claim it is a great game,yet it is just a copy.I find it peculiar that Blizzard having been EQ1 players made a copy cat version of EQ2 and not EQ,since they said they were influenced by EQ1.My guess is they somehow got wind of the EQ2 design and chose to compete directly with it and they most certainly did copy the template,exactly.

So here we have two IDENTICAL games,EQ2 has better lighting,graphics,textures and housing,guild halls overall a much better product doing the exact same thing.

SO how could Wow be the best when it is not even on par with the same game it copied?

Even better is that FFXI came out before both EQ2 and Wow and designed a MUCH more in depth game and has left both games in the dust when comes to creating variable content.

Sorry but Wow can't beat the game it copied and can't beat a PS2 game in FFXI ,idk maybe it can boast being better than some Indie f2p game?

Besides i believe Farmville had probably 50+x more players than Wow,is Farmville the best game on the market?

Farmville is best for those who play it. is that a problem? or you just in habit of feeling better by putting down other who are atleast capable of enjoying their games? misery loves company really.

And how the hell did WOW managed to make a copy cat version of EQ2 when it was released before WOW and was also in development for much longer? unless they sent ninjas to Sony office to steal the blue prints or actually have a time travelling machine...care to explain how is that possible? its true when they say that 'hate often takes over logic and prudent thinking'.

It doesn't matter if one was released before the other. There are thing's like industrial espionage and insider information etc. etc. happens all the time.

Dollars to doughnuts, Blizzard sent Titan back to the drawing board when they did because of inside information concerning upcoming titles that showed Titan was probably not going to cut the mustard.

Just my humble opinion of coarse.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by laserit

If i was to scour the entire gaming database for ideas,there is not ONE single aspect of game design i would use from Wow.So how does that shake you for quality?

What has been hilarious to watch is how Wow an identical copy of EQ2 but with cheaper graphics tries to claim it is a great game,yet it is just a copy.I find it peculiar that Blizzard having been EQ1 players made a copy cat version of EQ2 and not EQ,since they said they were influenced by EQ1.My guess is they somehow got wind of the EQ2 design and chose to compete directly with it and they most certainly did copy the template,exactly.

So here we have two IDENTICAL games,EQ2 has better lighting,graphics,textures and housing,guild halls overall a much better product doing the exact same thing.

SO how could Wow be the best when it is not even on par with the same game it copied?

Even better is that FFXI came out before both EQ2 and Wow and designed a MUCH more in depth game and has left both games in the dust when comes to creating variable content.

Sorry but Wow can't beat the game it copied and can't beat a PS2 game in FFXI ,idk maybe it can boast being better than some Indie f2p game?

Besides i believe Farmville had probably 50+x more players than Wow,is Farmville the best game on the market?

Farmville is best for those who play it. is that a problem? or you just in habit of feeling better by putting down other who are atleast capable of enjoying their games? misery loves company really.

And how the hell did WOW managed to make a copy cat version of EQ2 when it was released before WOW and was also in development for much longer? unless they sent ninjas to Sony office to steal the blue prints or actually have a time travelling machine...care to explain how is that possible? its true when they say that 'hate often takes over logic and prudent thinking'.

It doesn't matter if one was released before the other. There are thing's like industrial espionage and insider information etc. etc. happens all the time.

Dollars to doughnuts, Blizzard sent Titan back to the drawing board when they did because of inside information concerning upcoming titles that showed Titan was probably not going to cut the mustard.

Sounds more like a conspiracy theory that Blizz did industrial espionage to steal ideas from EQ2 while it was still in making when anyone who played EQ2 knows that it started to change and model itself after WOW became success and it wasn't the other way around.

EQnext was also sent back to drawing board and started from scratch..so whats the big deal here if companies want to improve and make a better game?

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Originally posted by laserit

Sounds more like a conspiracy theory that Blizz did industrial espionage to steal ideas from EQ2 while it was still in making when anyone who played EQ2 knows that it started to change and model itself after WOW became success and it wasn't the other way around.

EQnext was also sent back to drawing board and started from scratch..so whats the big deal here if companies want to improve and make a better game?

It's not a big deal.

They're all guilty of "borrowing" each other's idea's. Many of the developer's know each other, have worked together in the past, have ongoing friendships, have drinks together etc. etc.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by Darknessguy64

Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    Originally posted by Mpfive
    If WoW was released in this day an age, it would sink faster then SWTOR

If we are going to discuss "What Ifs", can we at least make them realistc or possible ones? This "What If" is entirely impossible and as such subject to your whim. 

What If no MMORPG was ever released before and now in 2014 Vanilla WoW, An aging game that was plagued with delays and complications for over a decade before it's release, now makes it's debut?

Seriously now. That's not what happened.

What if WoW chose NOT to use the holy Trinity?

What if WoW was a sandbox MMO instead of themepark? Would all the WoW clones be sandbox MMO's too?

No because WOW would have went the way of every sandbox before it.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135

It left my machine after 45 minutes of play loong time ago. I was never the guy who followed masses but then again I also dislike pointless TV shows and mass histeria around movie stars. I guess that pretty much defines what kind of audience likes wow.

King of kings? Not im my kingdom.

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Spiider

King of kings?          Not im my kingdom.

i like wow and have played it in the past

WOW is in my top 10 mmos - but not in my top 5

everyone has different tastes

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

It left my machine after 45 minutes of play loong time ago. I was never the guy who followed masses but then again I also dislike pointless TV shows and mass histeria around movie stars. I guess that pretty much defines what kind of audience likes wow.

Yeah yeah we get it. you are special and unique individual who is 'different' and not just another face in the crowd. But let me tell you something shocking...almost everyone thinks like that about themselves.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858

Neither am I, but I will tell you what I am a fan of......120 frames per second with 24 other raiders fighting the most challenging, complex, and pollished raid encounters in the industry.

• DalanonDalanon Member UncommonPosts: 126
    Vanilla wow was fun, BC was hard but fun, Lich was the high point of the game if you ask me, Cata was crap, and mists was fun to about level cap and then it felt like it went downhill after that. I'm hoping WoD turns out to be decent because you know Titan is still probably 10 years off the way blizz develops games.

Not all who wander are lost...

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by Dalanon
    Vanilla wow was fun, BC was hard but fun, Lich was the high point of the game if you ask me, Cata was crap, and mists was fun to about level cap and then it felt like it went downhill after that. I'm hoping WoD turns out to be decent because you know Titan is still probably 10 years off the way blizz develops games.

Most of my friends that have played through the game since the beginning have  similiar attitudes about the expansions. Catacalysm is considered the worst while they argue over whether BC or WOTK was the best. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

I find it ironic that someone who watches TV at all feels comfortable saying he doesn't follow the masses.

I don't own a television - by personal choice.

I RARELY go to the movies. 

Therefore, I don't even know which movie stars the masses are getting hysterical about.

I think WoW is the highest quality, most polished mmo on the market, and yes, I've played quite a few.

Now tell me again that you have 'pegged' the personalities of 7.8 million individuals and know exactly what kind of an audience they are, and that every one of those millions upon millions of individuals are exactly the same.

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

WoW is the highest quality MMORPG ever made from a pure movement/combat standpoint and that is the most important aspect of a MMORPG. I personally think the game has gotten worse over time but that is still the one thing I cannot argue against. Someone tried to compare it to SWTOR but there is no comparison, SWTOR is sluggish compared to WoW. Rift, WAR, SWTOR never stood a chance because the basic gameplay stunk. Wildstar and ESO are both eons behind WoW in this area as well though they are better than the others I listed. The only game coming anywhere near WoW in terms of basic gameplay is GW2 and that is why that game thrived despite the awful decision process that went into so many of its core functions.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by Mpfive
    Originally posted by Mors.Magne

This thread has no real content beyond being a sales pitch.

Please let this thread die and sink to the bottom.

Or it's just a troll bait thread..

Having the most subs doesn't make it a better game

But it's probably the only objective criteria. Any opinions on quality can never be objective. The only thing on which you can be objective is financial success. On that front is miles ahead of everything else.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• HellCasterHellCaster Member UncommonPosts: 234

It was fun for a while but I haven't subbed to WoW since 2010, and while I don't think the game is horrible, I never plan to sub to it again.

There are too many new options out there.

Playing: varies every day it seems.

• SonofSethSonofSeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,884
    WoW is still the best Game out of all the MMOs, when there is a Virtual World, that also equal or better than WoW in it's gameplay, I'll be right there with anyone else on these forums.

• Path4Path4 Member Posts: 35
    Originally posted by HellCaster

It was fun for a while but I haven't subbed to WoW since 2010, and while I don't think the game is horrible, I never plan to sub to it again.

There are too many new options out there.

The "community" is what really killed it for me.

If they are so successful I'd like to see how many players are in NA and other regions.  You'll never see that.

The game is very derp friendly and that is one reason why it's so popular.

• spades07spades07 Member UncommonPosts: 852

With all the mmorpg releases now it's a hard press for Wow to be called the best any longer.
    Going by this forum it looks sadly to be a dieing game. Returners are going back and leaving again.

I mean It's still got a hardcore crew as you'd expect with any mmorpg, and still a number picking it up and trying what the fuss has been about all these years. But mostly it's no longer at it's peak. And you have to wonder whether some of it's game design choices are the reason for that.

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    Originally posted by MMOGamer71
    With billions served, McDonalds is the best food ever !!!

The actual quote would be

With billions served, McDonalds is the best fast food franchise ever!!!

There's a clear difference. One is a logical fallacy. One is fact.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• Sk1ppeRSk1ppeR Member Posts: 511

Because its the default game for so many. I have at least 3 friends that have subscribed for an year even if they do not play occasionally. 

Other than that, add nostalgia, no gamebreaking bugs or stupid lags, old "friends" and a place where you are "somebody" and you don't have to start all over again. Believe it or not, not many people want to start the grind to endgame and "enjoy the journey" all over again in a MMO that seem exactly the same as WoW. It seem all worthless. 

I've always imagined the "WoW killer" to be a game without quest hubs. The WoW killer for me was Gw2 because of the lack of quest hubs. Dynamic events, even though not so dynamic, do make a lot more sense than the good old "go fetch me XXXX and come back". I suppose the "WoW killer" can not be a single game, because of the reasons I said the "WoW killer" is a personal thing. As I said, for me it was Gw2, for others might be FFXIV or even TESO. 

Because of the reasons I listed above I highly doubt a single game can outpace WoW. Not only that. WoW is really polished game even if I'm currently not playing it, I can't call the white black. 

It's not really the game that makes it king. If WoW was to be released today, it would probably go F2P rather quickly :) 

• zevianzevian Member UncommonPosts: 403
    It is indeed the Wal Mart of MMORPGS  You dont always like shopping there but you usually get a deal and have a bit of fun wandering around.
  • delta9delta9 Member UncommonPosts: 358

Just because something is popular (and how many of their 100million are spam type or gold seller accounts?) does not inherentily make it good  - the only people those number really affect is the investors, as a player so long as a game interests me and isnt a ghost town that is what matters - not inflated 1 sided statistics

• xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078

Recently just resubbed. Numbers are still huge for this game. Was surprised to still see noobies in the starting areas. Thought it would be all of us old vets. The new starting areas are awesome! Gnome area is the best!

Love you all for the responses. Glad some still debate!

WOW is the only mmo I play once in a while. I have reverted back to single player games. Retro as well.. Warcraft III ect. Ever wonder where the world of warcraft history comes from. Play that game and youll learn. Pretty awesome!

Back to Hearthstone now :-). Need to beat up some Zoolocks :-)

• ImperatorBellusImperatorBellus Member UncommonPosts: 35
    Originally posted by xpowderx

While there are naysayers who would like to say differently. Thought I would share some interesting facts about our beloved World of Warcraft, Also why no mmo on the market can touch WOW!.

Here is the link:http://media.wow-europe.com/infographic/en/world-of-warcraft-infographic.html  

Too much to post here! Hope you enjoy!

http://www.masterofmom.com/2013/03/world-of-warcraft-addicts-victims-of.html

World of warcrap is also the only mmo ever made  that has a subliminal message that you hear every time you die within 13 seconds of dying. Subliminal messages can easily manipulate people, especially when they are not aware they are being manipulated, perhaps if wow did not have this, it would not be even half as popular as it is.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    If i had a dollar for every time made a McDonald analogy, I would be a billionaire. Literally. The only thing McDonald's and wow have in common is financial success. I am sure if the OP made a thread like this about an old school game like daoc and EQ, people would be cheering. But wow needs to be hated. It's the cool MAINSTREAM thing to do. Bravo!

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    That is impressive. Conga rats.   <:()~ <:()~ <:()~
    Chamber of Chains