Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Longevity question

BulldozeBulldoze Member UncommonPosts: 115

Has anyone on here been playing the game for a while and experienced higher level content either in the RU or KOR version?

I'm wondering how the game pans out towards cap because all I've seen so far is people who have just bought into the alpha and are enjoying the early stages.

Does the game maintain your interest after the dust has settled? Reason I'm asking because there are lots of MMO's I've played that I really enjoyed for a while but then suddenly lost all interest and will to log-in.

Does ArcheAge have that hook that I find most recent MMO's the be lacking?

I am the Arch-fiend, the Despoiler of Worlds, and by my hands shall the false Emperor fall.

Comments

• An4thorAn4thor Member Posts: 524
    You create your own end game, if one aspect tires you try something different. Currently at endgame you can:farm, fish, do open world pvp, build a castle on the north continent, sige a castle, treasure hunting, pirating, trading, grind for items, world bosses, raid with your guild, dungeons, rift events, dailies and ofc crafting.
    I think that should be it.
  • BulldozeBulldoze Member UncommonPosts: 115
    Originally posted by An4thor
    You create your own end game, if one aspect tires you try something different. Currently at endgame you can:farm, fish, do open world pvp, build a castle on the north continent, sige a castle, treasure hunting, pirating, trading, grind for items, world bosses, raid with your guild, dungeons, rift events, dailies and ofc crafting.
    I think that should be it.

Thanks for the reply but not really what I was looking for. I'm aware of the features available to players but I wanted insider knowledge of people who have actually been high level and played the game for a while, to see if they enjoy it, want to log-in etc rather than play 100 hours for 2 weeks then drop it

I am the Arch-fiend, the Despoiler of Worlds, and by my hands shall the false Emperor fall.

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

The endgame in AA is pretty much running dailies and daily dungeons.

After that you choose your own activity to fill out the rest of the day.

There's plenty to do but not many clear objectives, you have to set them yourself.

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626
    Been level 50 for a while in Trion's version, and what Anathor says is right. You basically create your own endgame. If you're expecting raids and such to be your endgame experience like WoW, then this might not be the game for you. There are world bosses and dungeons, but it's more about PvP, building, farming, and working together towards common goals with your guild. Not so much about beating X raid, gearing up, and moving onto Y raid.
  • JabasJabas Member UncommonPosts: 1,249

ArcheAge is not about a "fixed" end game, its about your objectives, you define the current objective in-game and then try to archive. Bored at some point with the current objective, make a new one and fight for.

Im not 50, only 37. I dont kill 1 single mob since lvl35. My current objective is get 10k on fishing atm and get gold from farms in AH (no time fro trades now). I have other plenty of diferente objectives in-game, just one of the reason im adicted to this game atm.

Will get bored some time in future? have no idea, but im sure is going to take awhile

Originally posted by mcrippins
    Been level 50 for a while in Trion's version, and what Anathor says is right. You basically create your own endgame. If you're expecting raids and such to be your endgame experience like WoW, then this might not be the game for you. There are world bosses and dungeons, but it's more about PvP, building, farming, and working together towards common goals with your guild. Not so much about beating X raid, gearing up, and moving onto Y raid.

Has your play time changed since hitting cap?

Do you enjoy being 50 or was the journey to cap more fun?

Thing I want to know is if the game can hold players attention after the honeymoon period, as so many games just can't!

Originally posted by Bulldoze

Thing I want to know is if the game can hold players attention after the honeymoon period, as so many games just can't!

Really stayed about the same. Even when you're done leveling your  character - you can simply switch to a different set of skills and keep leveling those, which is what I have done. I also do a lot of trade running on my newly constructed merchant ship. Trying to start a business running people across the ocean for a small fee, but I need better routes lol.

Really stayed about the same. Even when you're done leveling your  character - you can simply switch to a different set of skills and keep leveling those, which is what I have done. I also do a lot of trade running on my newly constructed merchant ship. Trying to start a business running people across the ocean for a small fee, but I need better routes lol.

That's the kind of thing that would keep me loggin in. 

• KanesterKanester Member UncommonPosts: 375
    This game sounds perfect, I want to play it so much but i'm building a house (real life stuff) and the misses wouldnt be to happy after i told her to stop spending money on clothes only for me to drop 100 Welsh pounds on this stunning game. I might go for the £40 founders pack and wait for beta, anyone know when beta is and will there be a char wipe?

Yeah man - the merchant ship is nice. Can hold 20 packs of cargo. So if you take 20 people at 2 gold a piece, it can be pretty profitable. Pirating is a 'thing' in this game though, so you better hope those people you're taking with you can fight, as the merchant ship is kind of a slug lol.

Yeah man - the merchant ship is nice. Can hold 20 packs of cargo. So if you take 20 people at 2 gold a piece, it can be pretty profitable. Pirating is a 'thing' in this game though, so you better hope those people you're taking with you can fight, as the merchant ship is kind of a slug lol.

Is there any defense against pirates other than your passengers fighting?

Like can you buy water cannons to stop them climbing aboard, cannons etc?

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Like most FFA games I see this coming to an end as the zerg guilds get bored when everyone else quits. There are guilds on alpha with 1200 members. It reminds me of when they made Shadowbane free-to-play and the chinese guilds would show up with 300 people vs. your 25. 

Your boat has skills that can help prevent people from coming on, and there are items on each ship. However, players are your best defense at the moment. Unless you have a warship running with you.

• blutigfaustblutigfaust Member UncommonPosts: 129
    Originally posted by Kanester
    This game sounds perfect, I want to play it so much but i'm building a house (real life stuff) and the misses wouldnt be to happy after i told her to stop spending money on clothes only for me to drop 100 Welsh pounds on this stunning game. I might go for the £40 founders pack and wait for beta, anyone know when beta is and will there be a char wipe?

The beta is scheduled to begin in June. Yes at the end of alpha and beta, all will be wiped. There will however be a 4 day head start for those who've purchased a "founder pack", which of course will not be erased.

Also, for the OP and transport ship guy, maybe developing a Navy of sorts is in order for a new "objective". I'm currently level 40 and haven't been grinding towards it, nor fighting,  just been playing at farming, fishing and Alchemy, having tons of fun, and every now and again DING, new level   lol

Current games playing: MechWarrior Online
    Games being watched:  Project Genom
    Favorite played games: SWG, RomaVictor, and Xsyon

• angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,259

Your boat has skills that can help prevent people from coming on, and there are items on each ship. However, players are your best defense at the moment. Unless you have a warship running with you.

That actually sounds awesome!! If I was not already planning on playing a bunch of single player games I may have bit the bullet and bought Alpha access to check this out.

• steelwindsteelwind Member UncommonPosts: 352

Short answer is yes. This game has more longevity than any MMO I have played in 10 years.

Long answer, I played AA KR daily for 14 months, 12 months of my playtime was post 50.There is simply so much to accomplish, endless goals. If it isn't building your empire (bigger and bigger houses, more land), obtaining your tools (ships, tractor, sub) or your gear. It all takes a lot of time. Most my time was either generating income (trading,farming), crafting my gear or simply setting my next goal.  Also note, I avoided questing almost entirely. At no point in my 14 months did I ever run out of things to do and the only reason I decided to stop playing was simply due to the NA release approaching.

Even more so, there were things I chose not to participate in due to the language barrier (boss raids, sieges, northern territory control/politics, castle building). I imagine these things would add even more goals and long term appeal. So my long term experience is most definately yes!

One exception though, if you are looking for long term appeal/endgame to revolve around combat only, then this game may have less for you. If you are willing to accept many many many non-combat activities as part of your endgame in addition to the combat, then the long term appeal will be there. If you only care about combat, then you will probably burn out sooner than most.

Originally posted by steelwind

Short answer is yes. This game has more longevity than any MMO I have played in 10 years.

Long answer, I played AA KR daily for 14 months, 12 months of my playtime was post 50.There is simply so much to accomplish, endless goals. If it isn't building your empire (bigger and bigger houses, more land), obtaining your tools (ships, tractor, sub) or your gear. It all takes a lot of time. Most my time was either generating income (trading,farming), crafting my gear or simply setting my next goal.  Also note, I avoided questing almost entirely. At no point in my 14 months did I ever run out of things to do and the only reason I decided to stop playing was simply due to the NA release approaching.

Even more so, there were things I chose not to participate in due to the language barrier (boss raids, sieges, northern territory control/politics, castle building). I imagine these things would add even more goals and long term appeal. So my long term experience is most definately yes!

One exception though, if you are looking for long term appeal/endgame to revolve around combat only, then this game may have less for you. If you are willing to accept many many many non-combat activities as part of your endgame in addition to the combat, then the long term appeal will be there. If you only care about combat, then you will probably burn out sooner than most.

In regards to avoiding questing; Would a new player be at a disadvantage by choosing not to quest, at least at the start of them game? reason I'm asking because I've read somewhere that quest rewards are things such as mounts, gliders etc

Are these things obtainable by other means? I want to mix up my game-time and will probably just try and do the quests with worthy rewards, if that's possible

• An4thorAn4thor Member Posts: 524
    Leveling without questing would take ages. You'd be at a disadvantage with lvl 50s ganking you as you lvl further or during trade runs. Also just by questing 1-50 you'd get 150+ g.
    Quest while doing other things; but don't skip questing imo.
  • JabasJabas Member UncommonPosts: 1,249
    Originally posted by An4thor
    Leveling without questing would take ages. You'd be at a disadvantage with lvl 50s ganking you as you lvl further or during trade runs. Also just by questing 1-50 you'd get 150+ g.
    Quest while doing other things; but don't skip questing imo.

As far i know the lvl means nothing for those who want to focus in non-combat activitys. Those who want to avoid PvP do quests untill lvl 30 to get some income while focus in other non-combat activitys, after that can all be done with farming, fishing and trade runs alone in safe zones, trade runs in enemy territory when in peace time (normally in small groups to survive sea mobs).

Those who rush to lvl 50 its because the PvP, other then that lvl means nothing imo.

• steelwindsteelwind Member UncommonPosts: 352

The only quests that are mandatory are the crafting quests that will get you your small and large scarecrow and donkey.  Yes there are quests that grant your basic glider and mount but the same glider is easily crafted after 10 min of gathering and the mount is also obtainable else where for a few silver. I would argue while there is nothing wrong with questing, your time is better spent building your empire and getting the tools you need to achieve your goals.

While leveling will take longer via crafting, you will be in a much better place when you hit 50 than the player who only focuses on the level cap. Using strategy (safe routes, stealth, late night runs), at lower levels you will still be able to trade successfully and generate considerable income if you are smart about your trade runs.

A previous poster stated ignoring questing 1-50 would sacrafice over $150 gold for the duration. When I hit 50, I had two large scare crows, farm house, tradeship and tractor, upgraded glider and $2000g. So while others may hit 50 first, they will also be still playing catchup in the sandbox.

The other nice benefit of ignoring questing is that your leveling experience will feel like you are playing a sandbox instead of a quest hub themepark.

Originally posted by steelwind

The only quests that are mandatory are the crafting quests that will get you your small and large scarecrow and donkey.  Yes there are quests that grant your basic glider and mount but the same glider is easily crafted after 10 min of gathering and the mount is also obtainable else where for a few silver. I would argue while there is nothing wrong with questing, your time is better spent building your empire and getting the tools you need to achieve your goals.

While leveling will take longer via crafting, you will be in a much better place when you hit 50 than the player who only focuses on the level cap. Using strategy (safe routes, stealth, late night runs), at lower levels you will still be able to trade successfully and generate considerable income if you are smart about your trade runs.

A previous poster stated ignoring questing 1-50 would sacrafice over $150 gold for the duration. When I hit 50, I had two large scare crows, farm house, tradeship and tractor, upgraded glider and $2000g. So while others may hit 50 first, they will also be still playing catchup in the sandbox.

The other nice benefit of ignoring questing is that your leveling experience will feel like you are playing a sandbox instead of a quest hub themepark.

Thanks for the info. I think I will aim to go craft heavy and take breaks from that with the quests, rather than the other way around. Strategic late night trade runs sounds pretty fun, looking forward to that kinda thing.

Can you explain what exactly a trade run is though? 

• CelliealiaCelliealia Member UncommonPosts: 8
    Each area has a series of so called "Specialities" that you can obtain only in that particular area and you have to carry (as trade packs) to other areas. The further you take them and the less people who carry the same thing, the better your profit. That is a trade run.