Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

$150 for a F2P Game!?!?!

invizoinvizo Member Posts: 41

And i'm enjoying every second of it.  Soo many MMO elements in here that are already very polished and they are still feeding us the watered-down client. Carebears and PVE players can stay away though, they wont have fun.

Comments

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    For people who drop tens of thousands in cash shops and keep the f2p ship afloat $150 is nothing.
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Originally posted by invizo

And i'm enjoying every second of it.  Soo many MMO elements in here that are already very polished and they are still feeding us the watered-down client. Carebears and PVE players can stay away though, they wont have fun.

So you're saying the PvE is really lacking in this game?

• MagikarpsGhostMagikarpsGhost Member RarePosts: 689
    what he is saying is AA is a Pvp style game, and when released in NA it will be full of all those jerks who no one likes. AA is one game i will avoid thank you.

free 7 day sub and unlocks for swtor new accounts and 90+ day inactive subs click here to get it!

Click here for trove referral, bonuses to both!

• Insurgent99Insurgent99 Member Posts: 58

When is the release date?

• dandurindandurin Member UncommonPosts: 498
    Originally posted by jircris
    what he is saying is AA is a Pvp style game, and when released in NA it will be full of all those jerks who no one likes. AA is one game i will avoid thank you.

It sounds like it's only PVP to the extent you let it be.

It seems those willing to take on that risk may progress a little faster if they are clever. 

I like how primarily PVE-players such as my play group can elect to determine our risk level.  (ie, to what extent should we try to farm "off the grid", when should we try to quest during war time, how often should we do intercontinental trade runs versus safer routes or alliances and caravans etc.)

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    Originally posted by jircris

Op is certainly making it sound like that sort of game.  Will have to wait until after it gets released to truly find out i guess.

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373

Apparently others who want a real pvp experience don't have fun either.  Too many friends and guild mates keep on telling me not to dump money onto this based upon their regrets..

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Imagen a sandbox completely free to play.....making 50 accounts and do a mass landgrab for farms and houses.....
    It would totaly destroy alot of aspects from the sandbox.

If you want to own land you pay a sub if you cant afford a sub dont play games.
    Free to play should be restricted and this goes in tenfold for a sanbox.

135 euro for alpha is a little expensive but you get extra perks and i believe 3 months worths of sub with early acces and 24/7 acces from now till launch.
    I woulnt buy it, but many people have cash to burn so why not ?

I will buy the beta for i believe 50 euro ? it has 30 days of sub i think and also early acces with all beta events included.

Free to play is bad as it mostly turns the game into a pay to enjoy and makes you spend more then a sub based game.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by Mothanos

Free to play is bad as it mostly turns the game into a pay to enjoy and makes you spend more then a sub based game.

i agree that f2p mmos with greedy managers are awful, but that also counts for subscription or any other model. The games dont price themselves. Its the company behind them. You can tell from the $150 price tag for alpha access on this one. Perks are just eye candy to get the wallet open. Not going to work with me. Unfortunately its fairly predictable and almost inevitable the pricing of games in the near future for $100+ out of the box because of dumb people that help make it happen just to get a taste of alpha/beta. The more i see this greed happening the more i want to see a lot of companies going belly up.

• BinafusBinafus Member UncommonPosts: 230
    Originally posted by rojo6934

i agree that f2p mmos with greedy managers are awful, but that also counts for subscription or any other model. The games dont price themselves. Its the company behind them. You can tell from the $150 price tag for alpha access on this one. Perks are just eye candy to get the wallet open. Not going to work with me. Unfortunately its fairly predictable and almost inevitable the pricing of games in the near future for $100+ out of the box because of dumb people that help make it happen just to get a taste of alpha/beta. The more i see this greed happening the more i want to see a lot of companies going belly up.

The more a company makes will make them go belly up, I'm not sure I understand this logic.

It is a great game if you do not like that it is F2P you are welcome to talk with your wallet and not pay to play it.

Yes you can play for free but do not expect the company to cater to people who do not support them.

Better get use to this type of pay model more and more companies are moving to it every day.

• chronoss2015chronoss2015 Member UncommonPosts: 217

and im about done with mmos.....how are the bots in archage...just wait till the NA goes free to play....

• Proudsoul1Proudsoul1 Member UncommonPosts: 72

Its hardly just a PvP game. There are many PvE elements in this game and safe areas. If you think about it its kinda like EVE in a way though safe areas are just that safe. There is so much to do in this game you can play for years in my opinion. Oh and if you wanna be a straight PvE just stay in the safe areas farm,quest,craft and explore. If you want to explore the more interestings part of the game join a good guild. Oh and you can be a pirate if you want but then you are fair game for everyone but hey you dont HAVE to PVP ever!

• invizoinvizo Member Posts: 41

Now when you guys see me with a dragon phoenix instead of flimsy kite on launch; you will know the $150 was worth it LOL.

I thought I would come back and explain what about ArcheAge Alpha has been so fun and what hasn't.

The fun:

If you liked the concept behind Silk Road Online's Thief and Trader system you will LOVE this game, it uses the same system; full of risks vs rewards, and obviously PVP risks are present in the further / more profitable areas.

Gliding trumps flying in any other MMO, feels very natural and is in-line with the laws of physics,  The swimming/boating is also going to be another Top item compared to other MMOs.

The crafting unlike other MMOs is required in this game.  A decent boat required 300 logs(4 per tree), 300 iron ore, 400 cotton(10 per plant), Time, and 400/1800 of my current maximum labor points (regen with RL time).  As a MMO veteran that hates crafting and always avoids it; this game has a tremendously addictive crafting system.

If you like Farmville at all you will also love this game.

The Questionable:

After level 30 you will be forced to level alongside player-killers and the opposite faction, the death penalty is only time wasted, and unlike other games you can get the crime-doers sent to jail where they must spend real life time in prison if the real-player jury convicts him/her.  This makes for an excellent guild political system but will need more work.

Dungeons -So difficult that you wont find youtubes or strategies on the internet for them in English, hopefully I will have an opinion on this soon.

Raids - All outdoor open raids from what I understand, first tap gets the loot but I believe you can be ganked by competing raids.

The Bad

Zomg Arena was terrible

Travel time/pace of game - They are constantly Westernizing this game from the super slow paced korean game it used to be; probably took 10 times longer originally to get to 50.

Engine - It's 32bit, it can be glitchy, poorly optimized, and brings the best Rigs to their knees while allowing 2-3yr old hardware to outperform.  TXAA is broken but available, DX11 is also semi-broken but available.

Hope this helps you guys with your opinions.

Originally posted by Robokapp
    free to play is too expensive for me. I'll stick to subscription.

If you take the time to research what they currently sell in the f2p store in Korea you would not make this statement.  If you spent time to research the updates and changes Trion (Rift) plans to make to these f2p stores you would really not make that statement.  The only thing you can pay for on the f2p shop that is on that helps you get ahead is Labor Points, and that is only because it will deter people from making multiple accounts.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Ok lets say it this way for the people who seem confused.

Its a sub based game with a free to play option !
    Cant make it any more simpler can we :P !

• huxerhuxer Member Posts: 12

Imagen a sandbox completely free to play.....making 50 accounts and do a mass landgrab for farms and houses.....
    It would totaly destroy alot of aspects from the sandbox.

If you want to own land you pay a sub if you cant afford a sub dont play games.
    Free to play should be restricted and this goes in tenfold for a sanbox.

135 euro for alpha is a little expensive but you get extra perks and i believe 3 months worths of sub with early acces and 24/7 acces from now till launch.
    I woulnt buy it, but many people have cash to burn so why not ?

I will buy the beta for i believe 50 euro ? it has 30 days of sub i think and also early acces with all beta events included.

Agree! Free to play is  a TRAP!

Ok lets say it this way for the people who seem confused.

Its a sub based game with a free to play option !
    Cant make it any more simpler can we :P !

This statement is nearly dead-on.  If you are a casual and do not wish to ever get ahead economically or attain cool vehicles you can be entirely F2P with no combat disadvantage.

• yorkforceyorkforce Member UncommonPosts: 160

If it were on offer 2 years ago I might have gone for it, but 2 years later and my hype for Archeage is pretty much nil. $150 is excessive, I remember the days when Alpha/Beta testing were free with gratitude from the devs and companies for taking the time to help them flesh out the issues.

Now its just idiotic to pay for alpha. You get bored of the game by the time it gets released.

• CrazyhorsekCrazyhorsek Member UncommonPosts: 272

the math is far easier for me...

150 = 10 months of sub... now would I play archeage for 10 months? Would it be a game that I would play for 10 months? No... therefore the 150 arent worth it - easy

• JupstoJupsto Member UncommonPosts: 2,075

I think you missed the point of AA, it aims to please carebears and pvpers.

You acting like its super hardcore but its not, its not even full loot, and most the game is a safezone.

My blog: image

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    Originally posted by yorkforce

If it were on offer 2 years ago I might have gone for it, but 2 years later and my hype for Archeage is pretty much nil. $150 is excessive, I remember the days when Alpha/Beta testing were free with gratitude from the devs and companies for taking the time to help them flesh out the issues.

Now its just idiotic to pay for alpha. You get bored of the game by the time it gets released.

Valid point and a trend I also don't like.  I find myself steering away from more and more games doing this.  It just further goes to prove what we already know, all these companies care about is the almighty dollar.

• anrenruianrenrui Member UncommonPosts: 21

Are you joking about carebears staying away? To get rune weps you have to grind out 8 hours for the first tier then 10 for second ON MOBS, oh by the way lets not mention how much farmville is in this game. There is no consequence for getting killed. It has no full loot pvp, this IS a carebear game.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

Developers realized half the people invited to beta/alpha never use their access or play for five minutes and quit. While the most hardcore members of the fan base might never get an invite in a random system.

They realized someone who pays $$ for access is probably a much bigger fan than someone who just got a random invite. They want people who are dedicated to actually playing the game and giving feedback. Not someone who is just looking for a free trial before the game launches to see if they like it, which is what most beta tests were to players anyways.

• HricaHrica Member UncommonPosts: 1,129
    Originally posted by Robokapp
    free to play is too expensive for me. I'll stick to subscription.

+1

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by Dreamo84

Developers realized half the people invited to beta/alpha never use their access or play for five minutes and quit. While the most hardcore members of the fan base might never get an invite in a random system.

They realized someone who pays $$ for access is probably a much bigger fan than someone who just got a random invite. They want people who are dedicated to actually playing the game and giving feedback. Not someone who is just looking for a free trial before the game launches to see if they like it, which is what most beta tests were to players anyways.

Problem with your thinking is that these fanboys usually are blind to major flaws. So the game would go live with all of them intact and only minor bugs would get addressed.

This discussion has been closed.