Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Destiny: Reinventing the First Person Shooter

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

According to a new video released on the PlayStation YouTube channel, Destiny will 'reinvent the first person shooter'. The video shows multiplayer action with all classes represented and includes a look at special skills that require specific button combinations on the PS controller. Destiny is scheduled to begin beta testing later this summer.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    Badly need a PC version!!!

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• LyrianLyrian Member UncommonPosts: 412
    Yeah...shooters live and breathe on PCs. It isn't reinventing anything but how to have little to show for a 500 million dollar investment.
  • God... I can't wait for it.
  • DeathsmindDeathsmind Member UncommonPosts: 185
    From everything I have seen so far it sounds like its similar to Borderlands. How is copying a game reinventing? 
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by Deathsmind
    From everything I have seen so far it sounds like its similar to Borderlands. How is copying a game reinventing? 

I didnt know in borderlands you can see every other player in the world minding there own business if u happen to run into them kind of like an mmorpg.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

Either you didn't watch or you've never played borderlands because other than being a fps that looked nothing like it.

Originally posted by ElRenmazuo

I didnt know in borderlands you can see every other player in the world minding there own business if u happen to run into them kind of like an mmorpg.

From what I heard is you wait in a lobby to go on mission with people. The creators say it isnt an MMO, but had a shitty reasoning why it wasnt an MMO. All I heard so far is you join a lobby exactly how Borderlands is and go on missions. That everything is instanced. 

Edit: If its not I would love to see some information. I was looking forward to the game until everyone was saying it was similar to Borderlands and had no MMO experiences.

• Originally posted by Deathsmind

From what I heard is you wait in a lobby to go on mission with people. The creators say it isnt an MMO, but had a shitty reasoning why it wasnt an MMO. All I heard so far is you join a lobby exactly how Borderlands is and go on missions. That everything is instanced. 

Edit: If its not I would love to see some information. I was looking forward to the game until everyone was saying it was similar to Borderlands and had no MMO experiences.

You know nothing about the game. This game is an mmo. There are towns , open world bosses, raids, dungeons, live events, missions, pvp, trading, crafting and much more. 

You just need to watch this. Nothing more nothing less...

Originally posted by Wyrdfell

You know nothing about the game. This game is an mmo. There are towns , open world bosses, raids, dungeons, live events, missions, pvp, trading, crafting and much more. 

It was the developers that said the game isnt an MMO. Dont get mad at me. Heres an interview where bungie says its not an MMO.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/is-destiny-an-mmo-bungie-weighs-in/1100-6416234/

• Originally posted by Deathsmind

It was the developers that said the game isnt an MMO. Dont get mad at me. Heres an interview where bungie says its not an MMO.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/is-destiny-an-mmo-bungie-weighs-in/1100-6416234/

They're calling it with a different name but what they describe is basically an mmo. You can't call it a borderlands clone. Actually you can't even say that this game resembles it. Even on that arcticle they said a whole different thing to what you describe...

"You'll embody a character that evolves on that journey. Unlike an MMO, the entire experience is built around heart-pounding action that you'll see through the eyes of your hero," Bungie went on. "Ultimately, we're looking forward to knowing how you describe Destiny, once you've played it."

This game got more mmo elements than Guild Wars 1. And what is the Guild Wars 1's genre again?

They're calling it with a different name but what they describe is basically an mmo. You can't call it a borderlands clone. Actually you can't even say that this game resembles it. Even on that arcticle they said a whole different thing to what you describe...

"You'll embody a character that evolves on that journey. Unlike an MMO, the entire experience is built around heart-pounding action that you'll see through the eyes of your hero," Bungie went on. "Ultimately, we're looking forward to knowing how you describe Destiny, once you've played it."

This game got more mmo elements than Guild Wars 1. And what is the Guild Wars 1's genre again?

So im watching the video you gave and it sounds exactly like borderlands with a few added things. Instead of waiting on a screen hub for players you get a town hub. 

Multiplayer is done through matchmaking system. After you get a group there are certain times where you will see more than 2 other players where it adds a few groups of the 3 players and then kicks them off once the event is done.

If 3 people is your definition of an MMO that is really sad. The game is empty besides your team until a public event opens up. Thats not my definition of an MMO. So its borderlands that can join up every so often.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Have they confirmed if PS4 will share servers with PS3, and Xbone share servers with 360?

it would suck really bad if that is not the case.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

So im watching the video you gave and it sounds exactly like borderlands with a few added things. Instead of waiting on a screen hub for players you get a town hub. 

Multiplayer is done through matchmaking system. After you get a group there are certain times where you will see more than 2 other players where it adds a few groups of the 3 players and then kicks them off once the event is done.

If 3 people is your definition of an MMO that is really sad. The game is empty besides your team until a public event opens up. Thats not my definition of an MMO. So its borderlands that can join up every so often.

Correct, it seems to have all the features of a lobby game, and none of the features of an MMO. Why even discuss the game on this forum?  its not even going to be on PC, its not an MMO, and its not an Online RPG either, its a bit moot whether the game even has more features than BF4, it certainly doesn't support as many players. image

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

The first video gameplay video had multiple groups of players in a public event and the devs have also said that you will see other players running around doing their own business in their persistent shared online open world.  There will be group dungeons like the one shown in this new video, groups are 3 people and are called fire teams.

There will be day and night cycle for the world as well.  You're free to move around and explore different planets or hang out in hub cities like Overwatch where you can find people gambling for better gear. There's a sandy Mars location and a snowy landscape of a buried city. Chicago is a swampland. Europe is a deadzone. Vines wrap around dilapidated buildings. The solar system is flecked with rubble and long abandoned fleets. You can fly through the rings of Saturn. The entire universe of Destiny—the solar system including the Earth, Moon, and Mars—is open to your expedition needs.

In Destiny you live in a persistent world. It's constantly being affected by not just the passage of time, but by other players. As you enter certain areas of the game, the server will register which of these are public domains/combat areas. If you stumble into one, it'll automatically, and invisibly, search for another gamer to matchmake you with. Kind of like Journey, except the server will download all of that player's customized gear (which potentially makes up millions of unique, personalized characters). So as you play, the server should seamlessly integrate another player into your game. As you're scouting a safe path around the dangerous Cabal, for instance, you might bump into another player. So even though you're playing out your personal story, a lot of your time is spent in shared adventures. And even if you don't want to go on a quest with another player, you can watch other players carrying out their own missions together, right there in your game.

This is still your personalized story. You still have control. But it's constantly impacted by other players (in what way exactly, we don't know yet), and by events both planned and spontaneous. Kind of like what they do in MMOs—except Bungie says they have no plans to charge you a subscription fee. The game, required Internet connection and all, is built for social and cooperative play

Everything is more fun with friends around. As Bungie said, going to an empty gym is creepy. Certain cooperative activities will specifically require multiple players. And even when you're just playing solo, you'll still see other people in your game, because there's always someone playing with you, according to Bungie.

http://kotaku.com/5984648/everything-i-know-about-bungies-next-first-person-shooter-destiny

The first video gameplay video had multiple groups of players in a public event and the devs have also said that you will see other players running around doing their own business in their persistent shared online open world.  There will be group dungeons like the one shown in this new video, groups are 3 people and are called fire teams.

There will be day and night cycle for the world as well.  You're free to move around and explore different planets or hang out in hub cities like Overwatch where you can find people gambling for better gear. There's a sandy Mars location and a snowy landscape of a buried city. Chicago is a swampland. Europe is a deadzone. Vines wrap around dilapidated buildings. The solar system is flecked with rubble and long abandoned fleets. You can fly through the rings of Saturn. The entire universe of Destiny—the solar system including the Earth, Moon, and Mars—is open to your expedition needs.

In Destiny you live in a persistent world. It's constantly being affected by not just the passage of time, but by other players. As you enter certain areas of the game, the server will register which of these are public domains/combat areas. If you stumble into one, it'll automatically, and invisibly, search for another gamer to matchmake you with. Kind of like Journey, except the server will download all of that player's customized gear (which potentially makes up millions of unique, personalized characters). So as you play, the server should seamlessly integrate another player into your game. As you're scouting a safe path around the dangerous Cabal, for instance, you might bump into another player. So even though you're playing out your personal story, a lot of your time is spent in shared adventures. And even if you don't want to go on a quest with another player, you can watch other players carrying out their own missions together, right there in your game.

This is still your personalized story. You still have control. But it's constantly impacted by other players (in what way exactly, we don't know yet), and by events both planned and spontaneous. Kind of like what they do in MMOs—except Bungie says they have no plans to charge you a subscription fee. The game, required Internet connection and all, is built for social and cooperative play

Everything is more fun with friends around. As Bungie said, going to an empty gym is creepy. Certain cooperative activities will specifically require multiple players. And even when you're just playing solo, you'll still see other people in your game, because there's always someone playing with you, according to Bungie.

http://kotaku.com/5984648/everything-i-know-about-bungies-next-first-person-shooter-destiny

I dont see anything you said that is much different than what I said. Its like Borderlands with a few extra additives. It will be fun for people who like the Borderlands experience but I like the MMO experience and that isnt this game. Even bungie says that isnt this game. I dont see why people gloss over keywords like matchmaking system, this is how you see all players. Unless there is a public event you will only see 2 other players max unless you are doing a raid which hasnt had any information given according to the video. 

• Originally posted by Phry
    Originally posted by Deathsmind Originally posted by Wyrdfell Originally posted by Deathsmind Originally posted by Wyrdfell Originally posted by Deathsmind Originally posted by ElRenmazuo Originally posted by Deathsmind From everything I have seen so far it sounds like its similar to Borderlands. How is copying a game reinventing? 
    From what I heard is you wait in a lobby to go on mission with people. The creators say it isnt an MMO, but had a shitty reasoning why it wasnt an MMO. All I heard so far is you join a lobby exactly how Borderlands is and go on missions. That everything is instanced.    Edit: If its not I would love to see some information. I was looking forward to the game until everyone was saying it was similar to Borderlands and had no MMO experiences.
    You know nothing about the game. This game is an mmo. There are towns , open world bosses, raids, dungeons, live events, missions, pvp, trading, crafting and much more.  You just need to watch this. Nothing more nothing less...
    It was the developers that said the game isnt an MMO. Dont get mad at me. Heres an interview where bungie says its not an MMO.   http://www.gamespot.com/articles/is-destiny-an-mmo-bungie-weighs-in/1100-6416234/
    They're calling it with a different name but what they describe is basically an mmo. You can't call it a borderlands clone. Actually you can't even say that this game resembles it. Even on that arcticle they said a whole different thing to what you describe... "You'll embody a character that evolves on that journey. Unlike an MMO, the entire experience is built around heart-pounding action that you'll see through the eyes of your hero," Bungie went on. "Ultimately, we're looking forward to knowing how you describe Destiny, once you've played it." This game got more mmo elements than Guild Wars 1. And what is the Guild Wars 1's genre again?
    So im watching the video you gave and it sounds exactly like borderlands with a few added things. Instead of waiting on a screen hub for players you get a town hub.  Multiplayer is done through matchmaking system. After you get a group there are certain times where you will see more than 2 other players where it adds a few groups of the 3 players and then kicks them off once the event is done. If 3 people is your definition of an MMO that is really sad. The game is empty besides your team until a public event opens up. Thats not my definition of an MMO. So its borderlands that can join up every so often.
    Correct, it seems to have all the features of a lobby game, and none of the features of an MMO. Why even discuss the game on this forum?  its not even going to be on PC, its not an MMO, and its not an Online RPG either, its a bit moot whether the game even has more features than BF4, it certainly doesn't support as many players.

So tell me if this is not an mmo why are you people call Guild Wars 1 as an mmo. Jealousy is really a bad thing. Yes this is an "MMOFPS" just for consols. You must get it first and silence your butt hurt little bit.