Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elite: Dangerous: Alpha 4 Underway, Premium Beta Coming May 30th

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Frontier Developments has announced that the Elite: Dangerous Alpha 4 has kicked off and gives players a much-expanded game to explore with more scale, scope and depth. Also included are new ships, trading and much more. Lastly, for those who are premium members, the beta will be available beginning May 30th.

Two additional methods of travel make their full debut in Alpha 4; super-cruise for accelerated within-system travel and hyperspace jumps for travel between systems.  There are also new ships available to pilots, including the Anaconda.

The five Alpha 4 star systems are themselves set within 400,000,000 star systems of the Milky Way galaxy, all of which are moving correctly; spinning and orbiting in an incredible ballet.  Whilst exploration is currently limited to the five Alpha 4 systems, the ‘night sky’ is accurate wherever you travel.

Find out more about Elite: Dangerous.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• crysentcrysent Member UncommonPosts: 841
    Is this a joke?
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Woohoo pay for beta!...What a great trend this has become.......
  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    This has to stop.

Joined - July 2004

• This just keeps looking better and better. I hope they manage to release the game before the end of the year, because I'm just itching to get my hands on this!

Looking forward to seeing some Anaconda gameplay once somebody manages to trade his way to enough credits to buy one.

• pappacubepappacube Member UncommonPosts: 99
    IMO, paying for beta will only be lucrative for well known titles with an existing fan base.  I have paid for several betas and don't regret any of them, however, I dont have a clue what this game is nor do I care so yea, er um, no....
  • JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

this isn't just "paying for beta", heck i've bought games before just to be part of beta, this is paying 5 times the game's worth to play beta.

Elite has taken this bs to a whole new level. early alpha access was like 250$, alpha like 150$, beta was like 100$....basically now alphas/beta are privileges for which you now must pay up to 5 times the game's worth to partake. Free country and all, but this is greed at it's finest. they are obviously trying to cash in on something they know will be so disappointing that once launched nobody will actually pay for it. Get as much cash as you can before people know what they are buying.

it's going to be so hilarious when this games goes F2P 2 months after launch.  

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

remember the days when people got paid to test buggy software?

fast forward to 2014, now you are able to pay to be a tester for buggy software!

• UserUndeletedUserUndeleted Member Posts: 121

& there you were thinking Alpha/Beta access was a right & not a privilage! Damn shame such bitter people won't pay to populate the same virtual space as me, boo hoo!

This will be a great game, made by a gaming pioneer. It's a simple as that!

Would anyone like a ! ?

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    Originally posted by UserUndeleted

& there you were thinking Alpha/Beta access was a right & not a privilage! Damn shame such bitter people won't pay to populate the same virtual space as me, boo hoo!

This will be a great game, made by a gaming pioneer. It's a simple as that!

Would anyone like a ! ?

hmm this game....... I say good luck trying to be Star Citizen with 5% of the budget

I don't see how this is going to work but I'll check it out after release if there is a free demo

• Originally posted by Jakdstripper
    this isn't just "paying for beta", heck i've bought games before just to be part of beta, this is paying 5 times the game's worth to play beta.

Elite has taken this bs to a whole new level. early alpha access was like 250$, alpha like 150$, beta was like 100$....basically now alphas/beta are privileges for which you now must pay up to 5 times the game's worth to partake. Free country and all, but this is greed at it's finest. they are obviously trying to cash in on something they know will be so disappointing that once launched nobody will actually pay for it. Get as much cash as you can before people know what they are buying.

it's going to be so hilarious when this games goes F2P 2 months after launch.  

You realise this is not a subscription game? Box price is €35 and then you can play forever. It will be F2P at launch. Just wait until the game is finished no need to pay €100 for unfinished game + expansions. Just like you don't need to buy a $10,000 ship in Star Citizen.

I'm fine with people spending tonnes of cash on games that don't exist. Otherwise there wouldn't be Elite or Star Citizen. It's not my loss if they turn out crap as I didn't invest money funding them.

• Originally posted by DocBrody

Originally posted by UserUndeleted & there you were thinking Alpha/Beta access was a right & not a privilage! Damn shame such bitter people won't pay to populate the same virtual space as me, boo hoo! This will be a great game, made by a gaming pioneer. It's a simple as that!   Would anyone like a ! ?
    hmm this game....... I say good luck trying to be Star Citizen with 5% of the budget

I don't see how this is going to work but I'll check it out after release if there is a free demo

So far they've come a lot longer than Star Citizen, though, which isn't even a game yet. They also have more than 5% of SC's budget since they have funding outside of kickstarter. SC has more funding sure, but you're comparing SCs KS funding + additional funding with only Elite's KS funding.
  • TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    Why are people upset with this ideal of paying before the game is released?  It is a way of getting funding so that the game is made.   Is that really a bad thing?  

• Originally posted by Teala
    Why are people upset with this ideal of paying before the game is released?  It is a way of getting funding so that the game is made.   Is that really a bad thing?  
    It can be. Pantheon for example. ED clearly is actually getting made though. It's always a leap of faith with these products, which is why I personally am always careful. Three games I'm very much looking forward to at the moment are all kickstarter projects that wouldn't exist if people hadn't thrown money at them. Personally haven't backed them, but I can see the point of doing so.
  • SimonVDHSimonVDH Member Posts: 178
    120 000 light years, 400 bilion stars - if anybody was looking for a game with big, open world to play in, I think that this is it.

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    it is real huge space sim game,Star Citizen is only shooter in space
  • JupstoJupsto Member UncommonPosts: 2,075

I haven't been paying attention to this game, watched alpha 4 gameplay today.... WOW

this is planning to come out THIS year, looking like best mmo to come out for a long time. you can find the video through my sig.

I don't think its worth paying tons extra money to get access to an unfinished game, might even be worth waiting until occulus rift comes out to buy this game to be honest.

My blog: image

• Originally posted by Agent_Joseph
    it is real huge space sim game,Star Citizen is only shooter in space
    SC is much more than just "shooting in space." Trading and building will be part of the persistent universe in SC. They are just taking a different approach. Smaller scale yes, but the approach with more handcrafted content can work quite well as you can see if you've played previous Chris Roberts games. Even the more arcade-ish Freelancer was a phenomenal experience.

Honestly just Squadron 42 by itself will be worth full retail price, I expect.

• VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723
    Originally posted by Teala

I'm with you Teala.

I paid for Elite. I spent a while beforehand thinking about it and my decision was based on the fact that I love the Elite series, I am a fan of David Braben, and I want to see this game made and be as good as it can be. Giving them my money is a way of doing my part to support the game and help it along.

I really don't understand what the big deal is. This is an indie project, they need funding and support and they're offering a way for interested people to do that. I do object to paid alpha/beta such as ArcheAge or Landmark which have big names behind them and really shouldn't be asking for cash from the public, but regarding Elite, if you're just interested in playing the game then wait for launch.

• hatefulpeacehatefulpeace Member UncommonPosts: 621
    Originally posted by Vonatar

I'm with you Teala.

I paid for Elite. I spent a while beforehand thinking about it and my decision was based on the fact that I love the Elite series, I am a fan of David Braben, and I want to see this game made and be as good as it can be. Giving them my money is a way of doing my part to support the game and help it along.

I really don't understand what the big deal is. This is an indie project, they need funding and support and they're offering a way for interested people to do that. I do object to paid alpha/beta such as ArcheAge or Landmark which have big names behind them and really shouldn't be asking for cash from the public, but regarding Elite, if you're just interested in playing the game then wait for launch.

We'll in this tread anyways the people who posted about paying for beta as bad, have zero knowledge of this game. So my guess is they can't afford that kind of money, and get angry when people do. As for me I don't like to test software, so I wouldn't pay anything for that. I think paying for alpha and beta is a good idea. That way  you only get people interested in making the game better, not people that just want a free look at the game. Not to mention the people like in this forum who will just come in if it's free, to tell everyone that "insert game name" is better. I am sure the community in these closed paid beta/alpha are 1000 times better for testing than a free alpha beta.

I am sure if Eso had a paid for beta, it would not of released with all those bugs. When I joined that beta it was just a bunch of people trying to play the game for free.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751

Considering that about 99% of the MMOs released since WoW have been garbage, then yes it is a bad idea...