Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mouse/Keyboard issue

CabalocCabaloc Member Posts: 116

Ok so for over a year I have this intermittent problem with mouse and board. They both ,I think both, like to lock up for a second and making a noise as well . I replaced the mouse with some logitech plug and play and for a few weeks everything was good.

Problem has returned and I switch them to other usb ports for several hours it will be ok and then return again. I did a clean reinstall of windows, updated all drivers and problem is still there, usually this will happen several times a day but only for a second. Any ideas what this is ?

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353
    Are they wired or wireless?
  • syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378
    If they are wireless, you might have interference issues.  Remove all sources of interference from the area around your computer.  This includes cellular phones, cordless phones, microwaves, WiFi routers, and computers/laptops with the wireless network enabled.  If you still have the same issue, try buying a PS/2 (not PlayStation) mouse or USB to PS/2 adapter to eliminate the USB ports as the cause of the problem.
  • CabalocCabaloc Member Posts: 116
    Both are wired
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,405
    Originally posted by Cabaloc

... They both ,I think both, like to lock up for a second and making a noise as well .....

Explain the "making a noise", do you mean the mouse and KB itself make a noise or do you mean your pc beeps or is there a hum etc?

If this is happening with different KB and mouse do like syntax42 says as it may be your USB ports that have a problem.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

Originally posted by Asm0deus

... They both ,I think both, like to lock up for a second and making a noise as well .....

Explain the "making a noise", do you mean the mouse and KB itself make a noise or do you mean your pc beeps or is there a hum etc?

If this is happening with different KB and mouse do like syntax42 says as it may be your USB ports that have a problem.

The noise seems to be coming from pc or speakers, hard to tell. it's not a beep like a bios beep,much deeper sound but quick..

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Sounds like a driver is resetting or some other similar "hiccup" with windows. I think your keyboard/mouse are fine, your USB ports may be fine as well. It's likely a corrupt windows system/driver file, and every time it does something particular your system hiccups (and that makes everything freeze for a bit, and makes the beep noise).

There are some system logs you could read in order to see if you are getting a reoccuring error; however it would probably be easier to just reinstall Windows right on top of what you have (don't need to do a full reformat unless you wanted to get to a totally clean slate). That refreshes all the system files, you then have to reinstall some of the drivers, that gets you refreshed driver files. That takes about an hour to an hour and a half depending on how many of your drivers you have to look up and download.

If it still hiccups after that, it could be actual failing hardware. I would also open up your case and blow out everything with compressed air - could also be a thermal throttle kicking in and that's causing you to hiccup - that costs like $3 for the compressed air and 10 minutes to open everything up and button it back up. Make sure all the fans are clear and spin nice and smooth while you are in there.

Hey Ride, I agree and leaning towards a driver issue, my pc is very clean as I'm somewhat of a clean freak,  Now there is good news in a sense, you know when you install ati catalyst drivers and the screen flickers for a moment and a sound as well ? thats the sound, the exact sound.

I'll do another clean reinstall and start from the beginning, I don't have much of anything on here anyway so no biggie. Thanks everyone for all the input,  I'll update soon.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Hey Ride, I agree and leaning towards a driver issue, my pc is very clean as I'm somewhat of a clean freak,  Now there is good news in a sense, you know when you install ati catalyst drivers and the screen flickers for a moment and a sound as well ? thats the sound, the exact sound.I'll do another clean reinstall and start from the beginning, I don't have much of anything on here anyway so no biggie. Thanks everyone for all the input,  I'll update soon.

Your computer may be different, but on mine, that noise is the "Added new hardware" sound, caused by the new driver finding your existing video card.