Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Archeage PVP

KinadoKinado Member Posts: 198

Archeage seems like a really good sandbox MMO but I've read that the PVP combat is really poor. Everything is fluid and so on but it seems that whoever hits somebody first, wins. People seem to die too fast with little to no chance for a proper retaliation.

Is this right? Does it get better at level cap?

Comments

• Gank4FunGank4Fun Member Posts: 10

As long as you are not level-capped, ArcheAge is a gankfest!

With levelcap things will get better, fights will last longer and PvP will be more fun :)

ArcheAge - A gankers dream come true!

• An4thorAn4thor Member Posts: 524
    Depends a lot on the class combination you use. I'm a reaper; if somebody jumps on me i'm dead 90% of the time, if i jump on someone he is dead 95% of the time. I'm a glass cannon caster with no CC break, so i've to play with that in mind.
    Therr are tankier classes; but usually pvp is about nuking the oponent before it even moves.
    In mass pvp i guess it's different; haven't tried it yet.
  • mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,625
    That's not true at all. I've had many people jump on me from out of nowhere, and I end up winning the fight. Sometimes if you get CC chained you will lose, but often times if you're quick enough you can do things to prevent it or spam a healing potion. I've beaten a level 50 that tried to gank me at level 43. Now if the person gets a nice CC combo and gets crits you might die fast. It just happens. Especially if you're not spec'd for defense. 
  • DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701

Im wondering somthing about the pvp, is it the kind of pvp where you can be chained CC till death? because to me there is nothing worse than standing there like a pinata till you die. i hate not being able to control my character when fighting.

also how long are the CCs in this game and do they break on damage?

personally im very against CC when it comes to pvp, it takes away from skill and only makes it worse when being ganked, because if you are fighting multiple people you are just going to be cced the entire fight wich to me is stupid.

is there diminished returns on being cced? is there cc breakers?

thanks in advance for any info on it, for myself i play to pvp and to much CC can be a game breaker for me.

• LlexXLlexX Member UncommonPosts: 200
    Originally posted by DrunkWolf

Im wondering somthing about the pvp, is it the kind of pvp where you can be chained CC till death? because to me there is nothing worse than standing there like a pinata till you die. i hate not being able to control my character when fighting.

also how long are the CCs in this game and do they break on damage?

personally im very against CC when it comes to pvp, it takes away from skill and only makes it worse when being ganked, because if you are fighting multiple people you are just going to be cced the entire fight wich to me is stupid.

is there diminished returns on being cced? is there cc breakers?

thanks in advance for any info on it, for myself i play to pvp and to much CC can be a game breaker for me.

Some CC's last for 1s, others for 8s.

Some break on damage, some don't.

Certain classes can keep you chain CC'ed until you die.

There are different skills to escape/break different CC's (there are a lot type of CC's: fear, impaled, root, stun, sleep... and so on ).

1v1 is about 90% win for the one who starts the fight, but gear can change this.

The real fun in this game are the group PvP's and RvR's, the huge 100+ raid fights, thats where AA shines, even tho that mages are annoying with their 1 hit lightning and fireball combos.

• AkerbeltzAkerbeltz Member UncommonPosts: 170
    Originally posted by Gank4Fun

As long as you are not level-capped, ArcheAge is a gankfest!

With levelcap things will get better, fights will last longer and PvP will be more fun :)

What are the Mods waiting for perma-banning this obvious troll?

No need to say you have been reported for recently creating an account with the sole purpose of carrying out an smear and disinformation campaign on these forums.

Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

• rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788

Im only playing some weeks and what i saw from PvP was fun.

Ofcause you can expect to get ganked by times but im under the impression that its about kowledge.

The more you know about the whole picture, the better you and char is in PvP.

The challenge is the knowledge about the synergies between the skillsets, about the right armor stats and what all the skills can do to you and what you can do to counter them.

That will keep me busy for some time i bet... ^^

• CopperfieldCopperfield Member RarePosts: 654

in AA the pvp is almost none excistent..

All the combination is classes are great and all..

but there are simply almost no systems in place which encourage you to pvp..

searching for people that are trading packs is kinda boring because the world is simply to big to cover all.

north continent is 10% developed and when killing people there it gives nothing

gear that are sold @ npc for honor points are not as good as crafting gear

the most fun i had concerning pvp.. while leveling up my char.. fighting others players who are leveling aswell gave me a fun experience

• KinadoKinado Member Posts: 198

Then there's probably a cookie cutter build for AA, no? The game isn't known for its PVE so I'm guessing the PVE in AA is pretty weak. All there's left for combat is PVP. I know about the shadow build which has stealth and has become a pretty much required skill to wander around safely.

The game has been out for quite some time in other regions, isn't there a proper PVP build by now that with the proper skill and reflexes, don't make you die pretty quickly if taken by surprise?

• CruizerkeCruizerke Member UncommonPosts: 68

I haven't played Trions version yet. But I did play alot of the RU version.

I played a Rogue class, leveled with dual wielding and switched to 2H Bade once I hit 50. Dual wield was good for sustained damage when leveling but 2H Blade hit alot harder so when you did get hits in, they counted. There was alot of CC going around in PVP so you had to make every chance that you had to hit, hit as hard as possible.

Unless I got the jump on a Caster or Bow using builds, my chances weren't good as a melee character. IF I did get the jump on you, 90% of the time I would have you CC'ed and dead before I had a chance to finish all of my attack chains.

One of the tankier melee builds a friend of mine was using allowed him to take crazy amounts of punishment and even be immune to damage for a period of time. So not all melee is instantly a death sentence but it is tougher in alot of PVP situations.

If you're looking to do alot of group/mass PVP, ranged is king. Smallish groups of 3-4 bow users skirting around and supporting a larger group were a major pain due to their CC and Disarming.

A very common thing that was seen is most casters ran around with the ability to stealth too. Infact unless a perosn wanted to play a strictly healer type build or tank build, it would be crazy not to get stealth. I can promise you that it will be used against you ALOT.

There's nothing like not seeing a soul around you and suddenly 5-6 ranged players pop up out of thin air from stealth and cream you before you can react.

Or another instance where we would get on a loaded tradeship, all go into stealth and keep popping it after cooldowns while only having a couple people visible on deck. Then wait for some foolish group to try and attack the ship because they seen a loaded ship with few people. It's a nice surprise when 2-3 people suddenly turn into 10 ready to fight.

I found that PVP in AA was a rollercoaster. Loads of fun at times, other times you just wanted to rage quit.

As a question to anyone playing Trions version right now..... Have they fixed the Melee bug where you cannot attack as a melee player while on a moving boat? In the RU version, you either had to stop the boat or jump into the water before you could attack as melee.

Guess I ll try it out for myself. I was thinking in going as a rogue type character as stealth always plays a major role in world pvp games. I m the kind of player who just likes to wander alone while doing my thing, crafting, farming, exploring, whatever and having the occasional fight with random people.

Is melee rogue viable? Or as soon as I get stunned its bye-bye?

• KarbleKarble Member UncommonPosts: 750
    Originally posted by Kinado

Guess I ll try it out for myself. I was thinking in going as a rogue type character as stealth always plays a major role in world pvp games. I m the kind of player who just likes to wander alone while doing my thing, crafting, farming, exploring, whatever and having the occasional fight with random people.

Is melee rogue viable? Or as soon as I get stunned its bye-bye?

So the class system is designed with every aspect of what people would want to do. There are plenty very well made PvE abilities that you would never use in PvP like agro changes and feign death.

The pvp part really depends on if you are solo, with 1 or 2 people or with a full group.

My recommendation for you if you like rogue is go Calling 13 points/Conjury 5 points/Devotion 5 points.

Calling              used as your main source of starters, finishers damage.

Instantaneous impact......       to build stacks

Plunge......   to close gaps with a stun and damage

Counter attack..... to get free attack with big stack build

multistrike...... quick damage with stacks

increased attention ......better evading melee attacks

Toxic shot.....a good opener poison arrow from range

Hard Cut.....good single damage with stacks

Perforation......this is the KILL SHOT when used with Shadowstep.....basically unloading all your stacks in 1 hit and disarms target for short time.

Fast Movement.......Get into or away from trouble

Detection of Weakness.....a small stacking crit% increase.

Deathwill.....allows for 2x stacks from any stack generating part of Calling tree

Shadowstep......teleport behind enemy usable every 30 seconds.

Stealth.......45 seconds of invis with slower movement speed. Obviously nice to have.

_______________________________________________________________________________

Conjury               used mainly to stop other players while you use Devotion tree to heal back up mid-fight

______________________________________________________________________________

Mudhand.............Hand comes from ground and roots enemy and does damage.

Time Compression.......reduces cooldowns of this tree

Whisper of Fear............target runs away in fear

Cleanse...............removes degative effect from you and provides 25% magic defense for 3 minutes after use....(huge)

Absorption......15% defense to all magic

_________________________________________________________________________________

Devotion                      used mostly to heal you mid battle so you can be the last one standing.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Light and Darkness......heals or hurts depending on ally or enemy.

Devotion........15% to healing received for 2 minutes for ally or a short root with a debuff on enemy that makes 12% more received  damage to them for 20 seconds

Devotion........a 10 second heal over time

The reward of Patience....... 7% of incoming damage converted to mana

Urgent Heal........If you get critically hit, all Devotion skill cooldowns are reset. (HUGE)

So there you have a build I would use. within this build there are also 7 combos that also provide for more heals, more damage and more crowd controls.

Let me know what you think of it.

My main character was a pure Rogue, which did have a couple CC breaker skills if wanted. As in the name the game gave my build was Rogue after I picked my 3 skill trees. But there are variations of the rogue-ish class.

I do not know what names Trion gave each skill tree, but the english patch I used on the RU version show my 3 skill trees as:

Warfare

Finesse

Will

Once I hit 50 and had my skill trees maxed, I switched out Will for Necromancy ( This skill tree change made my class name change from Rogue to Ripper. It was still a Rogue-ish class due to having the Warfare and Finesse trees.) for an AOE CC skill and a Debuff skill because I often found myself having multiple enemies near me in PVP due to me being strictly melee.

I went for speed, instant cast skills and ways to close gaps. Other than the Lasso skill ( Which is good to pull people off the helms of ships or off the edges of safe areas if they're trying to jump back and forth or even just running away. ) I learned that being rooted for casting time for skills was a death sentence. So avoid those if you want to stay mobile as melee!

I also went to Mirage and got myself one of the faster horses to use in pvp to run people down. Some of the melee gap closer skills can be used off horseback to fly off the horse and nail them without having to stop and dismount. People like to pop gliders when they see they are losing and try to make a quick escape, but as a Rogue on horseback I would use the mount sprint to catch up, then use a gap closer like Bolt of Heaven so I would fly up off the horse and hit the player in the air. Taking damage while on a glider will instantly despawn the glider and make them fall back down thus stopping their escape.

In all honesty, your build will depend on exactly how you like to play. I knew several Rogue-ish class players and we all had slightly different builds suited to how each of us played. Sure there are some cookie cutter builds, but some of the more uncommon ones can be just as effective and fun.

( Something to note. Look through the trees carefully as you get to choose them and see what skills they offer that you are interested in. Your skill trees level up as you do, so when you hit 50, they should all 3 be maxed at 50 too. So you don't really want to switch out a tree after character level 20 or so because it will lag behind too much in leveling which will reduce the amount of skills available to you. So figure out what trees you want to go with as soon as possible. Once you do hit 50 and have 3 trees maxed, you can switch one out for a new one to level up. You can eventualy level all of the trees up to 50, despite only being able to use 3 at a time, they will retain their levels when not being used. )

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

Have they said anything about the northern continent?  Is that next on the development list?  That would be the true "endgame" if they could add a bit of balance to PvP and finish the sieging/north continent.

I don't know what Trions plans are or how much they can change, but what I experienced of the Northern Continent on the RU version was a let down.

Only 4 zones were available when they brought it into game, there may be more now, but that's fine just starting out. My clan had built a castle and it was alot of work, but there were no real benefits from doing so. It felt like more of a hassle than anything really. You get nothing from PVPing  other than just doing it for the sake of it. Seeing how the North is a neutral zone, no honor is gained there.

Many folks didn't want to even put a house or farm up there with our castle due to all of the work that goes into building a house and it being so far away from the 2 main continents where most of us played and PVPed in warzones anyways.

They had not opened up sieging yet but most of us didn't care if it came or not due to one major complaint.... A siege is instanced and only allowed 75 payers in total for each side. So a siege wouldn't happen out in the open world which cuts out alot of possibilites with clan vs clan politics, backstabbing and surprise re-inforcements during a siege. Not to mention a large clan would have alot more than 75 people that would want to get into the fight to defend their castle.

But the largest issue was, what is the point of all the effort and work to take and hold territory on the Northern Continent? The only people who would really gain anything from it would be the ones leading a clan or that had access to a clans funds. People that would place a house or farm pay a tax to the holder of the surrounding territory.

I just hope that Trion can actualy do something with it or push XL Games to improve the North and make it worthwhile for not only everyone in the clan that's holding territory but also on a players individual level.

I ll definately try those rogueish trees when I try the game.

In a sandbox game you make your own story and sieging castles might be just bad blood between clans or just want to expand their territory. Not sure there needs to be more meaning than that but if it ends up having extra perks then great.

Didn't know the sieging was instanced to 75 people each side, that's actually good. I guess there's a lot of work into building a castle, you should at least be given a fair chance to try and defend it.

• KarbleKarble Member UncommonPosts: 750
    Originally posted by cruiserlck

I don't know what Trions plans are or how much they can change, but what I experienced of the Northern Continent on the RU version was a let down.

Only 4 zones were available when they brought it into game, there may be more now, but that's fine just starting out. My clan had built a castle and it was alot of work, but there were no real benefits from doing so. It felt like more of a hassle than anything really. You get nothing from PVPing  other than just doing it for the sake of it. Seeing how the North is a neutral zone, no honor is gained there.

Many folks didn't want to even put a house or farm up there with our castle due to all of the work that goes into building a house and it being so far away from the 2 main continents where most of us played and PVPed in warzones anyways.

They had not opened up sieging yet but most of us didn't care if it came or not due to one major complaint.... A siege is instanced and only allowed 75 payers in total for each side. So a siege wouldn't happen out in the open world which cuts out alot of possibilites with clan vs clan politics, backstabbing and surprise re-inforcements during a siege. Not to mention a large clan would have alot more than 75 people that would want to get into the fight to defend their castle.

But the largest issue was, what is the point of all the effort and work to take and hold territory on the Northern Continent? The only people who would really gain anything from it would be the ones leading a clan or that had access to a clans funds. People that would place a house or farm pay a tax to the holder of the surrounding territory.

I just hope that Trion can actualy do something with it or push XL Games to improve the North and make it worthwhile for not only everyone in the clan that's holding territory but also on a players individual level.

So the Northern continent will b e very important for those that want to do alot of endgame crafting.

For endgame crafting you need Akium from Akhium trees. In order for the trees to grow in your garden you have to use Akhium water on them. This water is carried and not in your inventory, so you can get it taken from you on the long voyage across the sea to your farm.

obvious answer is to build a house in the northern continent so you can collect the needed water and craft some fantastic stuff.

placing a house on claimed lands means paying taxes to territory guild.  Or you can get a guild and claim a territory and make your own castle and gain taxes from players that want to settle around your castle.

Personally I would want 2 houses and farms. one on my starting area and one on the northern continent.

Also there will be alot of housing taken over the course of the first 6 months when the game goes live. So then the housing left will be on islands or the northern territory anyways.

Will be interesting to see how it all unfolds to be honest. Looking forward to it.

The mineral water for Akihum trees can be bought on the mainland for certificates ( Two Crowns was the city name in the RU version with english patch). You can obtain those certificates from other players selling them on the AH or just go to Mirage and get them yourself.

I grew ALOT of Akihum trees between 3 Scarecrow farms and never once bothered with going north for the mineral water, it's faster and safer just doing it down south. Those trees require mineral water every 4 or 5 hours in order to keep producing fruit.

• drakaenadrakaena Member UncommonPosts: 506

Trion must rework the North Continent. It needs a complete overhaul if AA has any hope of sustaining PvPers beyond the initial rush to max level.

• SatsunoryuSatsunoryu Member UncommonPosts: 285
    I think AA's PVP system sounds relatively cool with the sieges, naval warfare, etc.  I'm just tired of the archaic combat system it uses.  Not that it's bad, just want something new, at least for right now.

In a sandbox game you make your own story and sieging castles might be just bad blood between clans or just want to expand their territory. Not sure there needs to be more meaning than that but if it ends up having extra perks then great.

Didn't know the sieging was instanced to 75 people each side, that's actually good. I guess there's a lot of work into building a castle, you should at least be given a fair chance to try and defend it.

It is a huge gold and time sink to build a castle and become an expeditionary force. HUGE. Without any incentive nobody bothers. Some of us are speaking from experience having watched this play out already. This is the #1 issue concerning AA NA release. If it is not addressed I am afraid patch 1.0 won't be too far behind. 

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791
    Originally posted by drakaena

It is a huge gold and time sink to build a castle and become an expeditionary force. HUGE. Without any incentive nobody bothers. Some of us are speaking from experience having watched this play out already. This is the #1 issue concerning AA NA release. If it is not addressed I am afraid patch 1.0 won't be too far behind. 

Don't castle owner collect tax from surrounding players?  

What surrounding players? North Continent was a ghost town. True owners collect taxes but entire guilds still have to invest large amounts of gold/time to even get to that stage. The entire zone needs redone. XLGames solution was to turn it into a safe zone with dailies. Players in Alpha should be making themselves heard to Trion regarding this issue.

Also, I believe (could be wrong here) that elected officials within an expeditionary force are rewarded the tax profit. Now I suppose they could then divvy it up accordingly to the rest of the guild manually. But good luck convincing a large number of players to invest time, gold, effort, into doing that. Then of course you have the issue of nobody else is bothering with it to tax anyways. It was a mess.

I realize on paper it sounds great and gets you excited (I was there too). But if the system mechanics are still the same then so will the result.

End Game in AA was designed to be a Game of Thrones type territorial PvP. It just didn't work.

Ask yourself how long you will stay entertained running trade routes?

I'm not trying to bash AA. I really want to see this game become what it was suppose to be. Not just for me but Jake Song's vision. 

For those wanting this same thing, speak up. North Continent needs fixing. 

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

Do people build houses in the north?  

Are there any guilds making money from castles, in the alpha? 

This discussion has been closed.