Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wildstar ads on MMORPG are obnoxious

olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,828

I hate this new trend of blinking a blinding white light at you. They're doing this on TV also. I normally just look away when the TV ads do this, but now I see they are doing it on MMORPG also.

When they do it on TV, it seems to be an inverse ratio to the content of the show: the more flashing the ad does, the less actual content the show has. But it is easy to ignore.

On MMORPG, it is just annoying, to the point where I don't want to come to MMORPG anymore. Is there any way to turn off the ads here? I hate to do this, since I support MMORPG as a website, but I'll have to stop checking in until these obnoxious ads stop, if I can't figure out how to ignore them.

------------
2024: 47 years on the Net.

Comments

• JacxolopeJacxolope Member UncommonPosts: 1,140
    Originally posted by olepi

I hate this new trend of blinking a blinding white light at you. They're doing this on TV also. I normally just look away when the TV ads do this, but now I see they are doing it on MMORPG also.

When they do it on TV, it seems to be an inverse ratio to the content of the show: the more flashing the ad does, the less actual content the show has. But it is easy to ignore.

On MMORPG, it is just annoying, to the point where I don't want to come to MMORPG anymore. Is there any way to turn off the ads here? I hate to do this, since I support MMORPG as a website, but I'll have to stop checking in until these obnoxious ads stop, if I can't figure out how to ignore them.

Ad Block plus-

I have never even seen the ad.

I generally block between 11 (current) and 20 ads here. Look it up and download it for your browser. Its a must have (nopt just for here)

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Well you could use an ad blocker, but it's a bit of bad form to do so.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    I have a different answer:  uninstall Flash.  That automatically blocks all Flash ads, which includes most of the annoying ones.  And most of the annoying non-advertising content on a lot of web pages, too.
    Originally posted by Kyleran

I would disagree-

Its bad form to have flashing ads popping up on me- I still see Ads (been looking at Neverwinter for a few days on the main area) but I am not swamped with them.

Any site that makes me remove my adblocker is a site I will never use. I am here creating content for this forum which is my freely given time which adds to the overall discussion of the site and brings more people. Tose of us who discuss things, debate things and converse (even troll and fanboy like crazy) are doing our part and are the reasonpeople come here as opposed to ads or articles.

Let the lurkers be overrun with ads. I am doing my part imho.

• SomeHumanSomeHuman Member UncommonPosts: 560
    I think League of Angels tops the list in annoying advertisements currently.

Gaming since 1985; Online gaming since 1995; No End in Sight! My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8POVoJ8fdOseuJ4U1ZX-oA

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by SomeHuman

Hero of good

With Angel by your side!

You make me like charity

• CrusadesCrusades Member Posts: 480

This thread is obnoxious what does anyone care that you hate ads? 

Perhaps if you made a suggestion to change/filter any ads that might degrade the main experience. 

• strawhat0981strawhat0981 Member RarePosts: 1,198
    Originally posted by asmkm22

Hero of good

With Angel by your side!

Originally posted by laokoko
    "if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

• TsumoroTsumoro Member UncommonPosts: 435
    Originally posted by Jacxolope

I would disagree-

Its bad form to have flashing ads popping up on me- I still see Ads (been looking at Neverwinter for a few days on the main area) but I am not swamped with them.

Any site that makes me remove my adblocker is a site I will never use. I am here creating content for this forum which is my freely given time which adds to the overall discussion of the site and brings more people. Tose of us who discuss things, debate things and converse (even troll and fanboy like crazy) are doing our part and are the reasonpeople come here as opposed to ads or articles.

Sorry, but that is one batshit crazy of an answer!

Websites are not beholden to the traffic that use the forums, it is a platform which allows us, the community to band together and talk about what we love. As such these features cost money, money that the website gains from ad revenue. So, by all means talk and engage on the forums all you like, you are NOT doing your part to support the channel, in reality you are taking up resources and bandwidth which is harming the site. I mean c'mon, how much of a nusiance is it to you to look at a freaking ad. Its not like IGN who have a 4 min ad in front of a 1 min video or anything.

Originally posted by Tsumoro

I would disagree-

Websites are not beholden to the traffic that use the forums, it is a platform which allows us, the community to band together and talk about what we love. As such these features cost money, money that the website gains from ad revenue. So, by all means talk and engage on the forums all you like, you are NOT doing your part to support the channel, in reality you are taking up resources and bandwidth which is harming the site. I mean c'mon, how much of a nusiance is it to you to look at a freaking ad. Its not like IGN who have a 4 min ad in front of a 1 min video or anything.

I am producing content for free.

Content that draws other users especially those who disagree with my points.

Absent of content (i.e. Forums) all you have left is reviews, articles and ad. IF thats enough to keep a site like this going that is great-   can discuss things many, many places on the free internet- I choose to use mmorpg.com because of the posters here (not the articles and reviews and ads) and others are the same. Without the posters, I wouldnt be here. 

Batshit Crazy? Dude, I knwow someone who runs a website far smaller this this one and makes plently of money (enough to make it a ful time job) a websiter as popular as this one is doing okay I am sure and mainly this is due to the discussion coming from other posters creating content for free.

If intrusive ads were not the norm- I would not use ABP. But I do. If you do not- Good for you. I think YOU are batshit crazy for not running ABP which actually secures your system .

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

I have all the flashy annoying ads turned off. I still see the ones that are in the background but the "douche bag" ones are all off.

Companies can adjust to me if they want to try and sell me shit. I owe them nothing. Run an annoying ad and I'll never see it. Put up a cool graphic that makes me look...or large boobs and I'll view your ad and see your product.

Originally posted by DamonVile

I have all the flashy annoying ads turned off. I still see the ones that are in the background but the "douche bag" ones are all off.

Companies can adjust to me if they want to try and sell me shit. I owe them nothing. Run an annoying ad and I'll never see it. Put up a cool graphic that makes me look...or large boobs and I'll view your ad and see your product.

=)

I concur. I still see the background ads as well and its more than enough- I am looking at pages of ads and still blocking 11 of them. When is enough , enough?

• nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862
    League of Angels or Scarlet Blade are probably more annoying IMO.
  • MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    We actually have an extremely strict ad policy so as to provide you all with the least annoying experience we possibly can while still enabling us to run the site. I'm not sure what ad you're referring to, but if you can provide a screenshot it may be helpful in evaluating it against our ad policy.
  • BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    One solution is to only use this forum on your phone, the mobile flavour doesnt show as many adds. Small screen but offset with not having embarrassing pics of little girls with their breasts bulging out.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• AwDiddumsAwDiddums Member UncommonPosts: 416

I would disagree-

Absent of content (i.e. Forums) all you have left is reviews, articles and ad. IF thats enough to keep a site like this going that is great-   can discuss things many, many places on the free internet- I choose to use mmorpg.com because of the posters here (not the articles and reviews and ads) and others are the same. Without the posters, I wouldnt be here. 

Batshit Crazy? Dude, I knwow someone who runs a website far smaller this this one and makes plently of money (enough to make it a ful time job) a websiter as popular as this one is doing okay I am sure and mainly this is due to the discussion coming from other posters creating content for free.

If intrusive ads were not the norm- I would not use ABP. But I do. If you do not- Good for you. I think YOU are batshit crazy for not running ABP which actually secures your system .

If you wish to truly contribute to this site, BUY something from the ads, your post count won't help to pay any website bills, only the cash in your pocket will do that.

Originally posted by AwDiddums

I would disagree-

If you wish to truly contribute to this site, BUY something from the ads, your post count won't help to pay any website bills, only the cash in your pocket will do that.

I have bought nearly every subscription MMORPG that has come along with only a few exceptions.

The reason this forum can garner so much business from advertisers is due to the very high activity on this forum...Which comes from the forum...Which is generally user created.

Seeing flashing ads and pictures of dragons being slain are not enough (regardless) to even bother clicking on. 100% of every MMO I see advertised outside of F2P I already know about. Most of us in this hobby are never learning of any new games from ads- Most of us also know that ads are totally deceptive regardless (not just with MMOs)-

As I also said before- I know someone who makes a living running a website which has no user created content. Its very small and not a nation/worldwide type venture- He does fine and pays writers on top everything else that goes along with operating a website.

I wont buy shit from a F2P game and there are no P2P games advertised that I am already not aware of.

Want money from me? See coffee mugs. maybe T-shirts. Until then the best I am giving will be in content I crete for free that adds to discussion and thus more hits .

I would disagree-

I have bought nearly every subscription MMORPG that has come along with only a few exceptions.

The reason this forum can garner so much business from advertisers is due to the very high activity on this forum...Which comes from the forum...Which is generally user created.

Seeing flashing ads and pictures of dragons being slain are not enough (regardless) to even bother clicking on. 100% of every MMO I see advertised outside of F2P I already know about. Most of us in this hobby are never learning of any new games from ads- Most of us also know that ads are totally deceptive regardless (not just with MMOs)-

As I also said before- I know someone who makes a living running a website which has no user created content. Its very small and not a nation/worldwide type venture- He does fine and pays writers on top everything else that goes along with operating a website.

I wont buy shit from a F2P game and there are no P2P games advertised that I am already not aware of.

Want money from me? See coffee mugs. maybe T-shirts. Until then the best I am giving will be in content I crete for free that adds to discussion and thus more hits .

While we do greatly appreciate everyone who posts on our forums and takes part in our community, if we couldn't pay people to create content on this site, the site wouldn't exist. I can tell you that for a fact. Simply posting on our forums isn't going to keep the lights on for us.

Everyone here works hard every day to produce content for the site and my team (community) and I work hard to keep these forums a decent place to have discussions. None of us work for free and if we didn't have ad revenue, we wouldn't be able to do any of this.

Though you're free to do what you want (we aren't going to try and stop anyone from blocking ads), I would encourage you to think about that for a moment.

Originally posted by MikeB

I would disagree-

While we do greatly appreciate everyone who posts on our forums and takes part in our community, if we couldn't pay people to create content on this site, the site wouldn't exist. I can tell you that for a fact. Simply posting on our forums isn't going to keep the lights on for us.

Everyone here works hard every day to produce content for the site and my team (community) and I work hard to keep these forums a decent place to have discussions. None of us work for free and if we didn't have ad revenue, we wouldn't be able to do any of this.

Though you're free to do what you want (we aren't going to try and stop anyone from blocking ads), I would encourage you to think about that for a moment.

Yeah- I appreciate response and also understand the situation...

I know this isnt a suggestion thread but why not open up a 'store' with coffee mugs and other mmoprg.com memorabilia? I really would buy stuff...You would also probably get a better profit margin from me than you would by me simply looking at ads .

I am serious also- And  understand your position as well. I love this site and would support it directly through some sort of online store. I would love an mmorpg.com coffee mug and if it was large enough and made with quality I would pay a pretty nice sum for it.

Give us the option to support you directly without having to turn of ABP-

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

I think it is ironic that the managing editor of a website takes zero responsibility for oppressive and annoying ads on this site, then pleads to our conscience to leave them on.

• ButeoRegalisButeoRegalis Member UncommonPosts: 594

Let me be the first welcome you to this site as a new member! :) j/k

But if the ads back then for Scarlet Blade don't rank as #1 in most obnoxious...

I would disagree-

I know this isnt a suggestion thread but why not open up a 'store' with coffee mugs and other mmoprg.com memorabilia? I really would buy stuff...You would also probably get a better profit margin from me than you would by me simply looking at ads .

I am serious also- And  understand your position as well. I love this site and would support it directly through some sort of online store. I would love an mmorpg.com coffee mug and if it was large enough and made with quality I would pay a pretty nice sum for it.

You mean this store?

I would disagree-

You mean this store?

Yeah =P

I didnt even know that existed honestly. BUT you need to carry more than games. If I am missing a section its because I am time crunched and trying to multi-task.

From now on I will buy any MMOs from your store- But since I primarily only play sub games and am not planning on buying eso or ws (Maybe WS...IDK) its kind of a missed opportunity.

Anyhow, thanks for the link- I really had no clue that even existed.

EDIT- Hmmm, looks like you have single player games as well- I  might be using this sooner than I thought.

• GadarethGadareth Member UncommonPosts: 310

I would disagree-

You mean this store?

Yeah =P

I didnt even know that existed honestly. BUT you need to carry more than games. If I am missing a section its because I am time crunched and trying to multi-task.

From now on I will buy any MMOs from your store- But since I primarily only play sub games and am not planning on buying eso or ws (Maybe WS...IDK) its kind of a missed opportunity.

Anyhow, thanks for the link- I really had no clue that even existed.

EDIT- Hmmm, looks like you have single player games as well- I  might be using this sooner than I thought.

Perhaps you could put in a subscription model by which people pay x per month for a ad free service ? Of course you will then see threads appearing guaranteeing you will fail within a month and how you should be instead set up a mini transactions shop selling post and browse bundles.

This will cause a spin off group to emerge who will energetically defend the rights of the ads and how not having ads destroys the mmorpg.com immersion. Battle lines will be drawn and the angst will flow.

But still perhaps a small sub model for those who want to avoid the ads.