Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Barbarian versus Crusader

mike1679mike1679 Member Posts: 3
I am new to diablo 3. i prefer melee - tank classes in general. I have created a barb so far . Would you reccomend to use barbarian or crusader? thank you.

Comments

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

I would recommend the crusader. It has a passive that let you wield a 2Her and a shield at the same time, and the play style is much more tanky than a barb.

I did level up to 70 a crusader right after my main (a wiz), and you can easier go for a stand the ground tanking play-style.

• RabidMouthRabidMouth Member Posts: 196
    Assuming you have the expansion I would say crusader. I really like mine, and it has not failed me yet. It fits the sword and board tank style you are probably looking for.

You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

• fantasyfreak112fantasyfreak112 Member Posts: 499

Barbarian went from the funnest class to the least fun with this expansion imo, mainly because it got nothing worth using and every other class got much more interesting.

• skoupidiskoupidi Member UncommonPosts: 244
    I would say crusader based on the amount of fun i had with his builds compared to barb. The only gripe i have is that if you play with a 2hand, the char becomes so slow moving compared to all the other classes. You can't achieve constant +25% movespeed cause you lose 15% when you use the 2hand + shield passive. And u can't stack more than 25% movespeed (hope they raise the cap to 40% for Crusader only).
  • Instigator-JonesInstigator-Jones Member UncommonPosts: 530
    Crusader hands down... And I miss my Barb.
  • MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223
    Originally posted by mike1679
    I am new to diablo 3. i prefer melee - tank classes in general. I have created a barb so far . Would you reccomend to use barbarian or crusader? thank you.

I don't play a Barb really so can't comment on whether they are fun or not. I have seen them in action though and they seem to be really good still. Crusaders are pretty nifty too. It depends on what style you want to play.

Barbs are fast movers, have lots of hps, use shouts to buff themselves and team members up, build up rage to do their skills, and seem to have a good and versatile choice of what weapon combinations they might opt to use. They seem to be really good at tanking, and can move in and out of battle quickly.

Crusaders can be slow if going 2h and shield but are pretty good at tanking. Their primary defense skill is the block they get from their shield so they are pretty much a shield class. They have pretty good buffs with an aura-like skill set that is reminiscent of D2 Paladins. These can be activated to boost further the passive effect you get from just having the skill equipped. Crusaders are nice from the point of view that they can attack mid-range and close-range whereas the Barb seems sort of only close-ranged. Crusader resource also regenerates easily. One downside I found with the class is that most of the skills seem to be lacklustre and almost all of them are on cooldown timers. I also found synergizing their skills to be not as straight forward as with some other classes.

I would also like to say that the Monk is a pretty good choice for a tank though he might not come straight to mind as being one. The Monk is indeed a dex/vitality class rather than strength/vitality, but I actually prefer his dodges in some ways to the Crusader block. He also gets some nice crowd control that is easy to put into the context of a good build. Monk has good aura-like buffs, heals, escape mechanisms and means to move around quickly. The only downers about the Monk are that the weapon choices are not quite as cool as with the Crusader and resource management is a bit trickier. Monks are also exclusively close-ranged.

Depends on whether you want a more offense/fast moving/vat of hp's or a slow moving/blocker/more defense or a fast moving/dodgy/healy sort of tank.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

Originally posted by skoupidi
    I would say crusader based on the amount of fun i had with his builds compared to barb. The only gripe i have is that if you play with a 2hand, the char becomes so slow moving compared to all the other classes. You can't achieve constant +25% movespeed cause you lose 15% when you use the 2hand + shield passive. And u can't stack more than 25% movespeed (hope they raise the cap to 40% for Crusader only).

movespeed is not a big deal if you tank and spank solo (which is how i play my crusader).

The mob density is high enough in most places that i don't really need to move much faster to find new mobs.

Originally posted by nariusseldon

movespeed is not a big deal if you tank and spank solo (which is how i play my crusader).

The mob density is high enough in most places that i don't really need to move much faster to find new mobs.

Yep, agreed for the most part and there should be some trade-offs for uberness (and let's face it, 2h + shield is pretty uber). If one does not like slow characters, one does not have to play a 2h + shield Crusader... there are other weapon set-ups that can be chosen.

Originally posted by MurlockDance
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

Yep, agreed for the most part and there should be some trade-offs for uberness (and let's face it, 2h + shield is pretty uber). If one does not like slow characters, one does not have to play a 2h + shield Crusader... there are other weapon set-ups that can be chosen.

yeh .. and 2H + shield looks VERY bad-ass.

• KJ30KJ30 Member Posts: 47
    I am using as my main character a barbarian(shout build) and i ve just started playing with crusader. 2Hand + shield sounds really good. Believe you should try both, and decide which one to use.

Here is an update about Crusaders. Apparently the passive that allowed 2h + shield has been changed so that there is no longer any movement speed penalty.

Also, their damage mitigation is on par with Monks and Barbs, that is to say, a hardcoded 30% damage reduction.

There are some other nice changes to cooldowns and some offensive skill abilities.

Originally posted by MurlockDance

Here is an update about Crusaders. Apparently the passive that allowed 2h + shield has been changed so that there is no longer any movement speed penalty.

Also, their damage mitigation is on par with Monks and Barbs, that is to say, a hardcoded 30% damage reduction.

There are some other nice changes to cooldowns and some offensive skill abilities.

Yeah ... i still play my wiz most, but may up my play time with the crusader. It is the opposite of my wiz (range dps). My playstyle for the crusader is to stand and tank ... and heavy armor, huge weapon (2Her) + shield is exactly the way i want him to go.