Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Zenimax needs to add DUELING and ARENAS!

KuanshuKuanshu Member Posts: 272

I responded to the Battleground discussion thread for TESO with this post and also wanted to post it here as I consider this to be a very important topic of discussion and something Zenimax needs to seriously consider in the coming days. Adding these 2 features to the game will help Zenimax and players improve PvP much faster, more effectively, and much more efficiently then simply addressing player feedback in Cryodiil which is a highly contested area that is either overrun and out of balance in favor of a particular alliance and/or players simply are too overwhelmed and intimidated by it. This is a very important endgame feature of TESO that really needs to be much more thoroughly tested then it was during the actual testing phases.

Zenimax needs to add DUELING and ARENAS first and foremost! Why do you ask? Well..

Templates need to be thoroughly tested and balanced so there are more then a few to several optimal templates so as to add the air of anticipation and excitement as there will be more mystery and suspense to every encounter as it should be in large scale battles or even small skirmishes. This also improves player interest in TESO as there are more viable options for players concerning class/template choices and the evolution of their character and the game in general.

DUELING allows players to engage each other safely within the confines of their own realm/alliance so players can learn, adapt, and help improve class/template balance

ARENAS are also very important as they allow players to fight 2 vs 2, 3 vs 3, 5 vs 5, Keep defense vs Keep siege, etc...so small group encounters are optimized as any PUG ZERG can be taken out by an organized ZERG comprised of small but very effective, cohesive groups working together and assisting the overall ZERG

DUELING AND ARENAS allow players to concentrate on class/template balance for overall PvP balance in Cryodiil campaigns. This part of the game needs to be addressed and optimized a long while before Battlegrounds is even remotely considered. This discussion is wayyyyyy to early in the game.

This game is headed to console by the end of this year so there is another good reason to hold off on this debate and allow the players/developers to work together in the coming days so everyone can enjoy a much more polished, balanced, and optimal release of the console version of The Elder Scrolls Online!

Comments

• EhllfhireEhllfhire Member UncommonPosts: 633
    They already stated in the may 1st interview there will be no duelling, arenas, or battlegrounds, as all would kill off cyrodil pvp.

Any graphical, audio, or gameplay restrictions not seen in other mmos but found in FFXIV can be blamed on one thing.
    PS3

• KuanshuKuanshu Member Posts: 272
    Originally posted by Ehllfhire
    They already stated in the may 1st interview there will be no duelling, arenas, or battlegrounds, as all would kill off cyrodil pvp.
    <(-_-)> There will be....there will be <(-_-)>
  • BurntCabbageBurntCabbage Member UncommonPosts: 482

people need to stop trying to force other games hand in try to change things..its what makes game diff from each other and unique

dueling..just what this game needs everyone outside of town dueling all day instead of the pvp battle area being full or busy..kinda reminds me of another game?

• BetaBlockaBetaBlocka Member Posts: 222
    An pvp centric mmorpg with no ability to "duel"...either in an instance or the open world? So weak.

And stating the reason "it will kill pvp"? Even worse.

If a duel command would kill off pvp then the game is clearly dying already...such a waste :(
  • BetaBlockaBetaBlocka Member Posts: 222
    @burntcabbage

The ability to duel fellow players sounds like ALL mmorpgs to me...except this one.

claiming tbe game is unique because it misses so many basic features is a poor arguement indeed. The lack of such basic features does not make the game unique, it makes it rushed and poorly implemented.
  • EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868

They also said they might add Dueling in the future and that it wouldn't be hard to do.

Plus they go back on what they say ALL the time (re: chat bubbles, forced racial factions, no imperials) so you can't use what they say as a measurement of what they're going to do.

As for the OP, I really want them to add dueling (plus group and guild dueling) with the option to auto-deny all duel requests.

As for Arenas, it would HAVE to be something like Oblivion, and not some silly e-sport leaderboard epeen WoW crap.

This would include PvE things as well, not just 2v2, 3v3 etc. though those would happen, but waves of enemies, and of course, public gambling on fights with in-game gold.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

Though to be honest, they "could" add dueling and perhaps some sort of small arena and it wouldn't kill off pvp.

Lineage 2 had dueling and "Hero Arena" and that didn't kill off pvp.

It's just depends on "how" one does it.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

Nope.  Arena's will detract from the Cyrodil compaigns.  If it were to be added, it should not offer much experience, in comparison to PvE.  It can be an alternative, but progression will be stunted significantly.  Plus, the rewards should be minimal.  If it is more rewarding to take part in arena PvP, then Cyrodil will become a ghost town, and the population imbalances will be even worse than they are now.

Dueling on the other hand, I'm perfectly fine with.  I really don't see why dueling wasn't included at launch.  

• ChicagoCubChicagoCub Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by BetaBlocka
    @burntcabbage

The ability to duel fellow players sounds like ALL mmorpgs to me...except this one.

claiming tbe game is unique because it misses so many basic features is a poor arguement indeed. The lack of such basic features does not make the game unique, it makes it rushed and poorly implemented.

^This.

Simply not offering features that other games have in order to call yourself unique is just plain lazy.  Instead why not offer something different, some in fact truly unique, to replace it.  For crying out loud, at least try.

• BeastnBeastn Member UncommonPosts: 111
    I wish they would add bgs...sometimes I just feel like pvping in a quick, fast, action packed type of style...think bf4...they have team death match, which are just bite sized, quick versions of their conquest mode
  • syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    @burntcabbage

Not allowing dueling is almost certainly a design choice and not a result of being rushed.  not saying things werent rushed, but its (most likely) not the reason for no dueling.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by ChicagoCub
    @burntcabbage

^This.

Simply not offering features that other games have in order to call yourself unique is just plain lazy.  Instead why not offer something different, some in fact truly unique, to replace it.  For crying out loud, at least try.

The problem with both of your arguments is, they're not any better than the argument the person you're arguing with made.

Both arguments are peas from the same pod, they're just polar opposites of each other, like opposing siblings. His argument attempts to make the product look good, yours attempts to make it look bad.

A: how can a feature not planned equate a product to rushed or poorly implemented? It's a misnomer

B: how does a "missing" feature add uniqueness? It's just a feature that's not present for whatever reason.  Again a misnomer.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• CoffeeBreakCoffeeBreak Member Posts: 236
    Originally posted by Beastn
    I wish they would add bgs...sometimes I just feel like pvping in a quick, fast, action packed type of style...think bf4...they have team death match, which are just bite sized, quick versions of their conquest mode

Some type of battleground/warzone would be nice.  It's the kind of fluff that keeps players playing.  Especially, players with limited playtime.  It's just nice to login and knock out a 10 min bg or two.

Dueling....don't really care one way or another.

• TimzillaTimzilla Member UncommonPosts: 437
    I wouldn't mind them adding dueling as long as the ignore list is large enough to add all the duel kiddies to it.
  • keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    I think dueling for fun, yes. I think battlegrounds no. Battlegrounds destroyed Warhammer Online among other things that destroyed that game.

There Is Always Hope!

• EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Originally posted by Timzilla
    I wouldn't mind them adding dueling as long as the ignore list is large enough to add all the duel kiddies to it.

"Auto-deny all duel requests" checkbox under gameplay settings.

Ever feel like your a racehorse in a race with other racehorses who are wearing blinders, except your not wearing a blinder...

TESO is currently a PC based MMORPG in a tough market with some very big titles being developed and released in the coming year (i.e. Wildstar, Archeage, Black Desert, Everquest Next, etc...); before any of you debate about the release date of the games I mentioned, realize they are going to be released in the coming year...which means beta testing for many people who would rather beta test a game in development for free then waste money, energy, and time on a pay to play MMORPG where many have become bored with as they have exhausted the fun factor to the game so there really is no point in paying for something you don't enjoy.

E3 is coming up in June. Get ready for the hype machine as it sure worked for this game as it will for the aforementioned games, as it will to bring many more new titles into the highly anticipated MMORPGs people will be drooling over list. Rest assured this summer season isn't going to be wasted sitting behind a computer screen playing a game that isn't releasing new content in a timely manner as well as not addressing player concerns and issues ingame as well.

The Elder Scrolls Online is destined for the console so it is imperative for Zenimax to get this show on the road and make this game a blockbuster MMORPG for the next generation consoles which will be over a year old and ripe/ready for a successful FREE2PLAY MMORPG! Make people pay for content updates and have a cash shop and all is good!

On the console players are going to want to explore the world of TESO much as they did in Skyrim except this is Multiplayer and Massively Multiplayer in certain aspects so therefore it will satisfy many different types of players. Many consoles players simply do not bother to own a PC as it is enough for them to have a smartphone and their entertainment/gaming console. This is where everything is going so ya'll may want to really consider whats happening vs what you want to happen, moreso. On a console many players want to jump in and immediately experience something that brings them instant gratification and this is player vs player. Makes alot of sense considering how successful Oblivion and Skyrim were on the console and now we have a multiplayer/massively multiplayer game called The Elder Scrolls Online and how many talked their character up to their friends as they compared their class/templates as they often wondered how they would fare against other players.

This brings into play the two things I mentioned as the OP of this thread; DUELING AND ARENAS! This is what Zenimax must bring to this game before they launch it on the console. Does it matter if its going to affect Cryodiil PvP landscape or not? NO! Why do you ask? Because Cryodiil is a persistent zone on a megaserver. Whereas DUELING isn't and ARENAS can be megaserver applicable so as to foster and improve competition.

You see it doesn't matter if some players choose to participate in Cryodiil or not. What matters is if they buy the game. It doesn't matter if some players won't to pay for certain content updates, as much as it matters that people are playing the game and enjoying it...which is a huge plus in matters of selling the game, which adds numbers, sponsers, news, etc....which brings more revenue and interest in the game and that is the bottomline folks. Its all about bringing people to your product. Look at Facebook! 

Zenimax needs to add minigames to the game as TESO is an evolution of the Elder Scrolls and this time its multiplayer/massively multiplayer. Look at how many copies of Skyrim sold. Imagine the possibilities. Zenimax has to really bring home the bacon, so to speak when it comes to this product as it can sink or swim in a relatively short period...within a year folks! Console is the no brainer here...as there is no way this game is going to compete with the aforementioned titles once they hit the PC market and its happening very soon and you can take that to the bank!

• Cliff1963Cliff1963 Member UncommonPosts: 60
    Please no duelling. I got so tired of kids wanting to duel in WOW , don't ruin ESO with duelling.
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    I could see dueling and arenas as part of the Fighter's Guild one day.
  • DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

Arenas? Absolutely not.

If they need small scale PvP it should be a noninstanced smaller RvR zone like the DAoC Battlegrounds, not some bullshit E-sports thing that a bunch of non MMOs do way better anyway. Waste of time.

• redgang1redgang1 Member Posts: 35

Every game with pvp needs dueling, plain and simple. it allows you to test pvp a bit and challenge people as individuals. Arena's wouldn't hurt world pvp either as it's very small scale.

What kills world pvp is bad design, bad rewards and battlegrounds.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    But if they added dueling or arenas then they'd have to balance the game next. ESO can get away with a lot of balance issues with skills and characters by allowing PvP only in environment that's even more unbalanced.

• TimzillaTimzilla Member UncommonPosts: 437
    Arenas/scenario play helped kill Warhammers world pvp. There can be only one pvp place if you want pvp to suceed.
  • alterfenixalterfenix Member UncommonPosts: 370
    Originally posted by Timzilla
    Arenas/scenario play helped kill Warhammers world pvp. There can be only one pvp place if you want pvp to suceed.

This really. WAR is an excellent example of don'ts when it comes to RvR. Not saying that it was bad (still only DAoC had it better) but then it could be so much more.

Originally posted by Vrika
    But if they added dueling or arenas then they'd have to balance the game next. ESO can get away with a lot of balance issues with skills and characters by allowing PvP only in environment that's even more unbalanced.

LOL, so very true....

Sort of makes ya wonder wtf the developers were doing during the so called testing phases; especially considering Cryodiil is such a massive alliance vs alliance zone. Its basically one huge battleground. Before they include anything like battlegrounds in the future they have to balance out all the possibly class/template options so more of them are not only viable then simply a few to several choices...from the way it sounds right now there are not many effective PvP templates

Best way to balance class/template designs, is to allow players to constantly compete against each other through DUELING and ARENAS. DUELING has been a part of pretty much every notable MMORPG since they have been around.

ARENAS are not game breaking designs and Warhammer had battleground scenerios, not arenas. I played the game early on and they were quite fun and entertaining as long as your group was fairly organized and effective. Whilst Warhammer didn't win over the PC MMORPG market it could have had more success as a multiplayer console game consisting of primarily battleground scenerios including NPCs and MOBs.

ARENAS are where you pit similar team sizes against each other so players can thoroughly test out and optimize effective groups for PvP. WoW did a good job with arenas as they were quite popular and while many only participated only in arenas I do not see this as an issue, especially considering TESO is headed to console.

Zenimax has over half a year before The Elder Scrolls Online is released for Next Generation Consoles. Plenty of time to at least implement DUELING so players can help developers balance out many of the core issues with Ava as it begins and ends with player vs player.