Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Trove: The 7 Wonders of Player-Crafted Creations

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The Trove team has a nifty new feature that explores some of the amazing structures players have created in the game. Whether a weeping skull or a world based solely on geometry, you can bet that player ingenuity shines.

A quaint village and picturesque castle make Shaun’s world the perfect spot for a relaxing vacation in the Troverse. Full of quiet spots to get a bit of crafting done, along with all the other services you may need, Shaun’s world provides a welcome respite to the bustling day to day life of your average Trovian.

Check out the other six wonders on the Trove site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• TbauTbau Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 401
    I was happy about the announcement of Trove because the genre needed a challenger to Minecraft...but then I saw Landmark and I cant even look at Trove anymore, the idea of graphics like that has been proven that it isn't needed for this style of game and now looks like its the cheap path of game making.
  • Originally posted by Tbau
    I was happy about the announcement of Trove because the genre needed a challenger to Minecraft...but then I saw Landmark and I cant even look at Trove anymore, the idea of graphics like that has been proven that it isn't needed for this style of game and now looks like its the cheap path of game making.

This. I absolutely agree with you...

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Originally posted by Tbau

Small team/small budget.

That said, the graphics are a turn-off to me, but more for style reasons.  Color palette is unappealing to me

• EndoRobotoEndoRoboto Member Posts: 275
    Cheap as in costs-more-than-any-of-us-make-in-a-year cheap or like Activision Call of Duty cut and paste cheap? Which would still cost millions.
  • DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963

And people say they could careless about graphics, by these comments, I think people care more than they are letting up to be.   Which is sad really...  I like a lot of old 2D games with 8 bit with amazing game play vs some pretty trash..  People  want it all, and its not going to happen.. If they did, it would cost way more and take a lot more time.. People need to understand this with games today..   Landmark is Voxel with better graphics, but what will the game play be?? Copy paste of EQ, what I seen yes.. The crafting is fun, but so is Minecraft and any other voxel base game.

I think Landmark is hoping people get hooked by the better graphics of voxels and it will work until people play it for a bit and go oh, EQ clone.. Again, I have seen LandMark and Nexted, I like Landmark sure, but once they add game play, we all have seen it.. Plus free to play, no thanks... Nickel and dime me to death, I like Sub based games, communitys are most of the time better and I like games with Subs not !! Pay this, oh can't do this and that need to pay.. I want one payment and done. 

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Originally posted by Darkcrystal

And people say they could careless about graphics, by these comments, I think people care more than they are letting up to be.  

I care about aesthetics.  Trove is very unappealing to me aesthetically.

• Bakkoda24Bakkoda24 Member UncommonPosts: 257
    I was interested at first but the more I watch, the more the heavy Cel shading and voxel-based graphics wore on me.
  • Originally posted by Darkcrystal

And people say they could careless about graphics, by these comments, I think people care more than they are letting up to be.   Which is sad really...  I like a lot of old 2D games with 8 bit with amazing game play vs some pretty trash..  People  want it all, and its not going to happen.. If they did, it would cost way more and take a lot more time.. People need to understand this with games today..   Landmark is Voxel with better graphics, but what will the game play be?? Copy paste of EQ, what I seen yes.. The crafting is fun, but so is Minecraft and any other voxel base game.

I think Landmark is hoping people get hooked by the better graphics of voxels and it will work until people play it for a bit and go oh, EQ clone.. Again, I have seen LandMark and Nexted, I like Landmark sure, but once they add game play, we all have seen it.. Plus free to play, no thanks... Nickel and dime me to death, I like Sub based games, communitys are most of the time better and I like games with Subs not !! Pay this, oh can't do this and that need to pay.. I want one payment and done. 

What are you  talking about?  I don't wanna be limited by cube objects, I don't wanna graphics without any aesthetics, I don't wanna play on an empty world without any realism. This is not a normal mmorpg which gameplay is more important than graphics. This is a game which I should create my own imagination. I'm still playing Tibia. If I care graphics that much I don't play this game at first. But this is a whole different thing. You started with graphics and finished with payment model. Seriously...

These are the real 7 wonders of player-crafted creations.;

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Originally posted by Wyrdfell

What are you  talking about?  I don't wanna be limited by cube objects, I don't wanna graphics without any aesthetics, I don't wanna play on an empty world without any realism. This is not a normal mmorpg which gameplay is more important than graphics. This is a game which I should create my own imagination. I'm still playing Tibia. If I care graphics that much I don't play this game at first. But this is a whole different thing. You started with graphics and finished with payment model. Seriously...

These are the real 7 wonders of player-crafted creations.;

Why does it always have to be about one vs the other? Can't we like both! They are so not alike it's not even worth comparing.

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

to be strictly technical, Landmark is also based on voxels. The only difference is that voxels in landmark are 10 times smaller than those in trove which makes higher def. of graphic details possible.

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

Players have build 1:1 scale star destroyers, working CPUs, complete moviesets and such in minecraft.

There is surely alot of effort in all these Trove creations, but what i see is a skull, a fortress and so on.

Wonders? Hmm....

• GilnidorGilnidor Member UncommonPosts: 115

Well I am one of the featured players in the article, name is Gilnidor. And the screenshots are only showing a small portion of all the builds. I have built the hanging gardens of Babylon in my homeworld if that counts as a wonder :)

I read through the comments and get a bit sad at some of the comments. I enjoy Minecraft, Landmark and Trove. Three different games sharing only the voxels though they are off different sizes. What Trove offers compared to Landmark and Minecraft is a really nice community and the developers are really in touch with us the players. And there are so many aspects in Trove that you do not have in Landmark or Minecraft. And to compare them is just silly. 

PLAY WHAT YOU ENJOY!

• ImpsyImpsy Member UncommonPosts: 53
    Trove: Just like Rift: Swing and a miss.
  • Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654
    Originally posted by Wyrdfell

This. I absolutely agree with you...

have you guys tried Landmark? 

I mean, it's a great concept, but holy crap they keep trying to optimize it and it's still very very sluggish, I'm concerned they bit off more than we can chew

• CrazyhorsekCrazyhorsek Member UncommonPosts: 272

And people say they could careless about graphics, by these comments, I think people care more than they are letting up to be.   

Old games are one thing... they belong to a place in time - your mindset goes to a special place where you completely ignore that kind of stuff... new games on the other hand are a different story.

Now... when people say they "dont care about graphics", well theres a huge grayscale that people use for that expression, from "I dont care about graphics" to "going full retard"... this is going full retard. And I can handle minecraft and cant handle this...

• RakujiRakuji Member UncommonPosts: 144

Haters are going to Hate, with that being said. The only thing I can see from the picture I don't care for is that it's really bright. But I can only assume that can be taken care of with a little bit of adjustment in the gamma if that option is there. Will I buy trove? Probably not cause well the Pixelmon mod owns. So as for now with this genre MineCraft FTW.

Kick to the Face.

• CrusadesCrusades Member Posts: 480
    Cheap? Landmark vs Trove vs Minecraft? Sorry but you forgot to factor how much fun minecraft and trove are compared to landmark. Trove is like the little engine that could - keep up the good work
  • SamuraiXIVSamuraiXIV Member Posts: 354
    Try Rust for a realistic Minecraft type game + survival mmorpg in one.

"mmorpg.com forum admins are all TROLLS and losers in real life"
    My opinion

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

I dunno.. this game has the building and a proper game all in one. Minecraft hardly has any 'proper' game and EQ:Next is separated into two games.

So far this seems to be the only one for the all in one package.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • TbauTbau Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 401

No, not even close.

Landmark is not going to be even close to EQ/EQ2...hell, they even DROPPED the EverQuest from the Landmark title. And why are you saying "Plue Free to play, no thanks" as if Trove is NOT going to be when it is?