Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It seems that everything is just going wrong (poll )

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

- Mega servers

- Zoning

- F2P Cash Shops

- Half finished releases, some are un reparable.

- Dynamic Events

- Solo mmos, in some cases story lines are keeping players to themselves.

- Most mmos are just way too easy.

- Looking- for- dungeons auto grouping

- Paying for alpha's ( this is the now one )

- Too short,

- No end games.

- slow updates as promised.

- Lack of social or need for grouping.

In My opinion

It seems that for the last 5 years every release has something EXTREAMLY wrong with it. One or several of the above, prevents any possibility of reasoning out and justifying playing past 30 days. 

Comments

• NL-RikkertNL-Rikkert Member UncommonPosts: 134

I couldn't agree more I'm afraid. Unfortunately it has been this way for many years now. MMO's used to be THE place to be, my favourite alongside SP RPGs.

But nowadays they are simple money grabs and basically the opposite what they should stand for, an engaging Multiplayer story. Different people with different ideas and believes, fighting it out or trying to work together. That's what got me hooked. Currently most "MMO's" aren't even Massively Multiplayer, they are simply Online games, I don't need millions of players breathing down my neck, but in the past few years I haven't found a MMO which I couldn't solo. Which for me takes away the entire point of a MMO..

I understand F2P games don't have massive budgets and aren't perfect. But (without name calling) even B2P and P2P titles are suffering from the same issues. Unfinished products, solo-able content, gamebreaking bugs/glitches.

If you ask me both 'Massively Multiplayer' and 'Role Playing' have left the MMORPG genre. And that ladies & gentlemen is exactly why I stopped playing them. I find myself playing MOBA's and RPG's with a MP segment, because they do require thought and teamwork.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying 'look at the good old days', not at all, those games were flawed in their own ways. Yet they captured the essence of what a MMORPG truly stands for. Developers please bring us a teamwork centered MMO which inspires us to RolePlay!

(I apologise for the somewhat lengthy rant..)

STOOPID
    When someone does something so utterly moronic that it kills your brain cells at the very thought of it.

• XyireXyire Member UncommonPosts: 152

I disagree that dynamic events are bad.  They could be good.  The rest suck and are an increasingly larger numbers in increasingly more games.

Mega servers sound great until you play on one.  Sure your area is always populated on a mega server, but never with the same people.

You should add phasing to the list.  That's the same problem as megaservers - in the end since it splits up who you can see making the game feel more and more single player.  

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984

I think the devs and the corps that own the devs thru contracts did well with what they were given.  I'm impressed they managed to get this far.   Greed will not be so easily brought low.  Now the world knows, thanks to Warcraft, that mmorpg = income; every tom dick and political zone taxing harry is going to try to attach themselves.  This slows down progress in a way I can't even begin to explain to you.  We have to conquer lag first before we can make the game we really want. We think we are so advanced thru our sciences but we hopelessly primitive yet.  And I'm old so I was there playing those older versions of "the game."  I remember being invited to PnP which I refused because it was boring.  Nothing has changed at all.  You are facing the same issues you were facing years ago.  It never was easy to make friends online.  Which is the heart of your complaint, isn't it?

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

Yup, as I said in another post: "The road from UO to Super Mario is paved with convenience".

I thought UO was the dawn of a new era in gaming. I was right, but little did I know then that the "New Era" would not include any games like UO, lol

Those captivating virtual worlds that seemed to await me in the future ended-up being sanitised, homogenised and packaged into convenient bite-sized chunks that can be easily consumed on a smartphone.

You can sell more of them that way.

• EronakisEronakis Member UncommonPosts: 2,248
    Originally posted by Xyire

I disagree that dynamic events are bad.  They could be good.  The rest suck and are an increasingly larger numbers in increasingly more games.

Mega servers sound great until you play on one.  Sure your area is always populated on a mega server, but never with the same people.

You should add phasing to the list.  That's the same problem as megaservers - in the end since it splits up who you can see making the game feel more and more single player.  

I agree that dynamic events are not bad. The idea is right but so far very poorly delivered. I enjoyed the dynamic events in GW2 for the first few times then they get old quick. A way to improved dynamic events is to simply have those events be meaningful to the game world. They happen once or that dynamic events can be used as a week long event so everyone can participate.

I like the idea of megaservers or single shard servers, but the cost is bad server tension and latency issues. So in order to have that is to use the area as an instance where you log in technically. If you're in a group with people you can still group with them.

As for the OP I do agree with most of your list save for the two I mentioned above. Mmorpg. What does that mean? You all know what that means. When Everquest launched it was a way for Rpg gamers to enjoy a game world with each other and socialize with each other. Now we have post WoW. Where most every developer is trying to mimic the WoW model because the WoW model is proven to bring in profit. I personally disagree with mmo's going to be single player games where you happen to be with other single players on the same server.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

Yup, as I said in another post: "The road from UO to Super Mario is paved with convenience".

nah .. it is more like "The road from UO to D3 is paved with convenience" .. .and it is a great thing for me.

D3 is a much much better game than UO. No more PK. No more interdepending on others. Better combat. Better game.

- Mega servers

- F2P

- Dynamic Events

- Not too long

- no need for social or need for grouping.

In My opinion

It seems that for the last 5 years every release has something right with it. And finally MMOs are better games than world sims, and no need to depend on others to have fun. And no longer one needs to be stuck with one game for more than a few weeks.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

- Mega servers

- F2P

- Dynamic Events

- Not too long

In My opinion

It seems that for the last 5 years every release has something right with it. And finally MMOs are better games than world sims, and no need to depend on others to have fun. And no longer one needs to be stuck with one game for more than a few weeks.

According to your list, it seems that variety is taking a big hit.

Choice is a good thing and a healthy variety of different games and play styles is a good thing.

Generic is a bad thing.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

I thought UO was the dawn of a new era in gaming. I was right, but little did I know then that the "New Era" would not include any games like UO, lol

Those captivating virtual worlds that seemed to await me in the future ended-up being sanitised, homogenised and packaged into convenient bite-sized chunks that can be easily consumed on a smartphone.

You can sell more of them that way.

There's one big thing you're missing though, while most of what you said I agree with, you're forgetting it's not just about convenience. The reason we don't see many games like UO or SWG is more about taking away freedoms many abused. The more freedom you give the player the more they can interfere with others time in game. It's more or less a matter of a few eggs spoiling the dozen. It's hard to make progress from a development standpoint when you have to backtrack and change implementations to combat abuse. Development is largely reactionary in these cases because you can't plan for every situation there may be in games this big. Players are to creative for their own good..

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• XyireXyire Member UncommonPosts: 152
    Originally posted by Eronakis
    Originally posted by Xyire

I agree that dynamic events are not bad. The idea is right but so far very poorly delivered. I enjoyed the dynamic events in GW2 for the first few times then they get old quick. A way to improved dynamic events is to simply have those events be meaningful to the game world. They happen once or that dynamic events can be used as a week long event so everyone can participate.

I like the idea of megaservers or single shard servers, but the cost is bad server tension and latency issues. So in order to have that is to use the area as an instance where you log in technically. If you're in a group with people you can still group with them.

As for the OP I do agree with most of your list save for the two I mentioned above. Mmorpg. What does that mean? You all know what that means. When Everquest launched it was a way for Rpg gamers to enjoy a game world with each other and socialize with each other. Now we have post WoW. Where most every developer is trying to mimic the WoW model because the WoW model is proven to bring in profit. I personally disagree with mmo's going to be single player games where you happen to be with other single players on the same server.

A single shard server isn't a megaserver (at least not in todays games) though single shard megaservers sound amazing if the tech was there.  The instancing you speak of is exactly my problem with these megaservers.  It sounds great, you're around a bunch of people and you can always group with whoever you want, but it completely kills the feeling of being in a world.  It makes other players seem more like clutter and npcs than anything else.  The guys you see one minute you may never see again.  In single shard servers, you will almost certainly bump into people who are interested in doing similar stuff cause you will be doing stuff and see them there consistently.

• ApocalypseSunriseApocalypseSunrise Member Posts: 80

I wanted to vote on the poll but it didn't have the options I expected.

There is "something" wrong with every MMO, but "everything" is not wrong with every MMO.

What works for one may not necessarily work for another. It's as true in gaming as it is in life.

Yes, I've read a poem. Try not to faint.

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    I agree with alot of it. The one that really bothers me is paying to pay alpha's. To me this is just a over the top money grad. And i don't just blame the dev's i blame the players that do it. Devs see players are willing to do this will make them do even more money grabbing things and its bad for all of us.
  • Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

To the OP, these things are true.

But the economics are contrary to the OP's feelings. These games are making tons of money. Either from launch box sales, or cash shop sales. The only place they seem to not be making money is subscriptions.

I study economics at U of Montana, and I can tell you one VERY important thing: Supply (in this case game developers) ALWAYS reacts to demand ( gamers who buy games).

In short the only way to change the game industry is convince the MILIONS of players to do it a different way.

Me, I just stopped playing MMORPG's. I do miss it, but have found other activities to replace it. I keep hoping that one day there will be another but I don't hold my breath for it.

Originally posted by laserit

- Mega servers

- F2P

- Dynamic Events

- Not too long

In My opinion

According to your list, it seems that variety is taking a big hit.

Choice is a good thing and a healthy variety of different games and play styles is a good thing.

Generic is a bad thing.

uh what variety? The variety is the same as the OP's list ... just the opposite in terms of what is included. In fact, including a LFD option is MORE choices, rather than fewer since the OP want to eliminate the features.

More features always lead to more choices, since you can always turn OFF a feature.

Originally posted by Four0Six

In short the only way to change the game industry is convince the MILIONS of players to do it a different way.

That, of course, will never happen.

And to me, the game industry is great. There are lots of games that i like, and I am entertained. Good to have preferences similar to millions.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Four0Six

That, of course, will never happen.

And to me, the game industry is great. There are lots of games that i like, and I am entertained. Good to have preferences similar to millions.

Sure it will. What people want is only ever static on the forums. In real life what attracts people to games changes as they gain experience playing. Not many people want the same thing over and over.

There will of course always be people who have outgrown or gone a different way than what the industry sees as popular and will be the "outcast" but never know it. and this is where they'll be able to pretend like they are still part of the majority.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

You forgot

Instancing

Quest Based leveling

• KirrikKirrik Member UncommonPosts: 70
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

You forgot

Instancing

Quest Based leveling

To be honest I don't see any problems with Instanced Content or Quest Based Leveling. The execution though is almost always horrendous.

These two entities have so much potential to be good. That's just not the case at the moment.

Originally posted by DavisFlight

You forgot

Instancing

Quest Based leveling

Yeah .. instancing is a great innovation for MMOs. No longer you have to worry about dealing with other groups in a dungeon.

Quest based leveling is a bit underwhelming ... if they can do it as well as SP games, i will play more MMOs.

• redgang1redgang1 Member Posts: 35
    Originally posted by delete5230

- Mega servers

- Zoning

- F2P Cash Shops

- Half finished releases, some are un reparable.

- Dynamic Events

- Most mmos are just way too easy.

- Paying for alpha's ( this is the now one )

- Too short,

- No end games.

- slow updates as promised.

- Lack of social or need for grouping.

In My opinion

It seems that for the last 5 years every release has something EXTREAMLY wrong with it. One or several of the above, prevents any possibility of reasoning out and justifying playing past 30 days. 

Could not agree more. So much so that voting wasn't enough agreement.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

I've found that most MMO's do something wrong.  In fact, all of them do something I'm not exactly thrilled with.  But my question is... so what?  As has been illustrated in my own posts, my main concerns are combat and combat weapon variety.  Other people have main concerns of their own.  Logic simply dictates that something that is wrong for me is not going to be wrong for them.

Thus, it's not all wrong.  And some wrongs might be right depending on who you are.  It's kind of like any other form of media, be it movies, tv, comics, music, whatever......... 100% of people aren't going to enjoy it 100% of the time.  If I was going to start crying out "The MMO sky is falling", I'd just wonder to myself why it doesn't bother me when all the other skies are falling.

• redgang1redgang1 Member Posts: 35
    You can only hide behind the "nobodies perfect" argument for so long. There's still a world of difference between an A+ movie and a D- movie. You can rationalize personal preference all you want but the moment Lord of the Rings starts playing every other fantasy movie looks like a steaming pile of dog shit.
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by redgang1
    You can only hide behind the "nobodies perfect" argument for so long. There's still a world of difference between an A+ movie and a D- movie. You can rationalize personal preference all you want but the moment Lord of the Rings starts playing every other fantasy movie looks like a steaming pile of dog shit.

You can't be serious.  It's not an argument that nobody's perfect, it's a fact.  Not only that, I know people who absolutely hated the LOTR movies and The Hobbit.  Are you telling me that they're wrong, or are you just going to have to agree with me that a plus to some is a minus to others or some people just don't like everything you like?

Or maybe you're telling me there is a perfect MMO out there already that I don't know about. 

• p4ttythep3rf3ctp4ttythep3rf3ct Member UncommonPosts: 194

finally MMOs are better games than world sims, and no need to depend on others to have fun. And no longer one needs to be stuck with one game for more than a few weeks.

Is this sarcasm?  You play a massive multiplayer game, in order to not interact with others?  You invest time in a MMO, to play for no longer than a few weeks?  How is any of that better as far as a MMORPG goes?  Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but a great side-scroller action game sounds more up your alley.

That's just, like, my opinion, man.

• MadimorgaMadimorga Member UncommonPosts: 1,920
    Would have liked an option for 'agree with some'.  As a mainly solo gamer, I don't hinder your gameplay in any way, so don't disparage mine.

I am convinced there is only one way to eliminate these grave evils, namely through the establishment of a socialist economy, accompanied by an educational system which would be oriented toward social goals.

~Albert Einstein