Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

End-game Open Beta?

2»

Comments

• DaessarDaessar Member Posts: 204
    Originally posted by Chrisbox

Did you even read my entire thread?!?!?!   I would totally prefer if you guys stuck to discussing the actual point I trying to convey with this thread, since it appears not a single person has actually seen it.

I responded to your 3rd post....it's listed as post #5, I even gave you your exact quote that I was responding to.

"It isn't exactly good for business if your game fails to interest someone in the early stages"

You should have stated in your original post that you didn't want anyone to discuss anything you say in subsequent posts, they should only address what was said in the very first post. So yes, I had no idea we were supposed to disregard all your other posts, I guess I failed twice because I replied to this post too.

As for your original post, no they don't need to cater to people's individual wants, just in case they might possibly decide to play. There are too many "individual tastes" to try to please everyone just so they can try something out.

• sldropsldrop Member Posts: 112

I'm curious what other people think about an end game focused open beta.  As far as I'm concerned, open beta, especially one this close to the games actual launch is for removing the last line of game breaking bugs and convincing players to pre-order.  

For me, the leveling experience they've provided us with from 1-30 is not worth a sub fee, and possibly not the box cost.  Keep in mind I don't really find questing or grinding in general an exciting thing to do on any game because I've done it for so long, I think GW2 did a good job with making leveling fun but still has no real endgame. Just giving an example of the most recent time I actually enjoyed leveling in a MMO.    

If the open beta for wildstar instead allowed everyone to create a level 50 to test out end game content raids and pvp systems with your friends I think the chances of a consumer like me pre-ordering would be higher. Or perhaps lower the chances if the content doesn't deliver. The only thing that could persuade someone like me to buy wildstar is the raids, warplots, and end game character progression. This I also believe would decrease the amount of people getting turned off from the game during the first few initial hours, because it is very...very...easy to get bored during that time and they will lose potential customers because of it.

Testing end game during open beta too much? Or a smart move to try and win over players like myself.  

testing end game is too much in open beta.

1) it will ruin the the fun when the game come out

2)If they want everyone to test raid, they would have to give everyone epic gear(who can do raid in white?). which would give dev more work  and also ruin the fun of loot.( u will know the stats and look which would ruin the fun and surprise when the loot drop in live game)

3) me...anyway ..if they let me test raid and i beat it....i wouldnt even buy the game. I mean the fun is gone already, y pay to beat it again?

if 1-30 wanst enough for u , take a leap of faith or just wait until everything on youtube or so on.

• Juice2000Juice2000 Member UncommonPosts: 95
    Look ive also leveled in a thousand games as well, its gets a little tiresome with the lack of innovation shown in new mmos but its part of a bigger package that i enjoy many many other parts of. Its like many things in life we have to do but dont enjoy every minute of, however it doesnt mean we hate whatever it is.
  • stayBlindstayBlind Member UncommonPosts: 512
    Originally posted by Tsuru

This I also believe would decrease the amount of people getting turned off from the game during the first few initial hours, because it is very...very...easy to get bored during that time and they will lose potential customers because of it.

If a gamer is getting turned off from leveling then i dont think MMOs were the right genre to begin with. If a gamer is looking for instant gradification in MMOs then again, its not for them. 

So, the game should be completely un-gratifying leveling up? This is just bad game design; it has nothing to do with 'instant gratification'.

I define instant gratification as making things so easy that you can solo face-roll through it; giving out new gear rewards every other quest; allowing people to RMT via the developer; quest trackers that show the exact location of where you need to go; a leveling experience that is so fast that it is virtually meaningless.

I guess I am wrong though. I guess that instant gratification means mind-numbing and monotonous time sinks that require little to no logical thinking to complete.

@OP: I would like some way to preview group-based content as well, especially the end-game stuff.

Little forum boys with their polished cyber toys: whine whine, boo-hoo, talk talk.

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

@OP

I agree with you. For someone only interested in end game raiding/group content, I think starting someone with a max lvl 50 in open beta is a good idea in theory, but in practical use it will not work.

People will only be confused with the complexity of various builds available to them. Some people will feel overwhelmed. Others  will complain the game is too hard or complex after being overwhelmed & frustrated. They would have to dedicate valuable resources in order to accommodate the "lvl 50 open beta" instead of handling bugs. It begins to complicate the whole ordeal more than it is worth.

Because you are an experienced MMO player, it would work for you, but not for the masses. I like the way Tera allowed players to play a high level character in their tutorial to give a feel for how a class would play out at higher levels before dedicating the time to level up.

In the end, if you are only interested in end game & detest the leveling experience then maybe you might be burnt out on the whole MMO scene altogether or just maybe MMOs are not for you. 

• KinadoKinado Member Posts: 198
    Originally posted by Tsuru

This I also believe would decrease the amount of people getting turned off from the game during the first few initial hours, because it is very...very...easy to get bored during that time and they will lose potential customers because of it.

If a gamer is getting turned off from leveling then i dont think MMOs were the right genre to begin with. If a gamer is looking for instant gradification in MMOs then again, its not for them. 

That's not true, I played WoW in vanilla and TBC being the game that gave me the best online gaming experience by far and I HATED the leveling in that game. Took me 3 years to actually level my 2nd alt, a paladin.

The only thing that made leveling bareable was the open world pvp.

It was all about the endgame content in WoW. Only endgame content.

There's a reason that Wildstar is going this hardcore at high end level. They are letting the game speak for itself just like WoW did at the beginning, making Wildstar the MMO where people want to be if they want a challenge.

Fortunately they didn't forget the leveling experience in Wildstar. I mostly level through battlegrounds but I do enjoy exploring the world aswell and there's just so much to do. Path quests, normal quests, story quests, random dynamic events, world bosses events, random world pvp, the combat is just so enjoyable, moving your character extremely enjoyable aswell with lots of platforming.

They are making Wildstar what WoW should have been, that makes me happy. Also they said they aren't going to nerf content, that made me quit WoW. Spending huge efforts to lead a guild into being hardcore just to have blizzard screw us at the end by nerfing everything down and turning really hardcore bosses into a piñata fiesta.

I don't plan on raiding on Wildstar but it makes me happy to know that if one day I decide to join a raiding guild, there's a whole lot more content for me to go through. The game still offers enough content to just be able to skip raids entirely and still be competitive and having lots of fun. Choices man, all about giving choices to players.