Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this mmo deep ONLY because of crafting ?

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

I like what I'm seeing, then I don't like, then I like it again...I'm not playing yet, I'm waiting for release.

From what I'm reading and watching on Youtube, ArcheAge has a lot of deep features, I watched a player take a small kitten feed it to watch it become a full size battle pet.  Endless class builds to make a class how you feel.....Stuff like this is a long time coming.  For me this is evolution in mmo's.  Features that finally shows its progress for what we should start seeing in 2014.

Good features in technology for the players instead of developers doing crap like mega servers and Phasing and Dungeon Finders. Games that could cross over to consoles.....For me, they are taking technology and using it for their own greedy marketing.

Sure, Like I stated this game has a lot of features, but most of the great stuff is based around crafting. Crafting in OK, but it's more of a time sink.  I never crafted in EQ2 or Vanilla WoW, or even Vanguard, I'm an adventurer.  I could play games like this and never craft yet have full time fun.

What happens if you don't like crafting ?

I'm playing Elders Scrolls Online right now, I'm still having fun. The crafting is lite, or so I thought....Being level 22 I'm realizing that I really shouldn't go to the next zone until I level up my crafting, to do that I have to farm mats to a ridiculous amount. So much for lite crafting...It's still a time sink. Guild chat and voice is filled with chatter about gathering and crafting, NOTHING ELSE, well maybe a little pvp but that's about it.....It was the same with FF14, it's all about crafting anymore.

I don't remember the older classics, old school mmos ever being consumed with crafting. Players did that on the side and kept it to themselves. Their was a lot to do in mmos back then without it !

I start worrying about this mmo when someone asked about features of ArcheAge in a topic here.  And one was a reply that went on and on and on about crafting. I have a full time job and a social life.  I'm still looking for an mmo that can played for years, a social mmo where you get to really know people and help them out and play together.  Not talk in detail about every aspect of material gathering. 

Comments

• exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089

About those two aspects:

crafting in AA= items with prefixed stats

Builds in AA= only 2 or 3 builds viable- since the game is armor based, no skill involvment either. Since most skills are pretty much usless and will be never used you get your 2-3 builds. Unlimited builds only in theory.

• ijksijks Member Posts: 4

Been playing in Alpha since Founder's Pack released. First off, I haven't been this addicted to an MMO for a long time. I been hopping from one MMO to another since I got tired of WoW, but none really held my interest till Archeage.

The good thing about this MMO that I'm currently seeing is

1) The game promotes open-world PvP. Haven't played an MMO that had this much open-world PvP before. Lots of developers come out and say "Oh yeah we have open-world PvP!" Then when the game launches, all the zones are dead and no one is PvPing out in the open. This game, there is so much Guild vs Guild, Faction vs Faction, small scrimmages, large battles, and I see it happening consistently. The reason of course being that there is actually a cause for open-world PvP (trade runs).

2) Depth. Crafting isn't anything special in terms of HOW you make items. It's pretty standard. But, the depth of crafting is what makes it engaging. It just keeps going deeper and deeper.

3) Exploring. There really is no reason to explore in many MMOs, because there is no incentive. But, in Archeage, there are people who explore for hours because there is a payoff. For example, you get special currency for exploring places (Nui Tears) AND you get to find people hiding their crops because they don't want to pay taxes or don't have enough room in their farms. Once you find these farms, you steal all the plants/trees they planted which can be a big pay off.

This game isn't for everyone. But, it seems people in Alpha are enjoying this game a lot since it's a breath of fresh air. All I see in faction chat is things like "omg I love this game". Also, I joined a random guild, and all everyone talks about in guild chat is how they can't wait till this game goes live. Strategies to grab prime real estate, who is going to become farmers, PvPers, PvE, Pirates, etc. My suggestion is try out the game if you can, and judge it for yourself.

• ijksijks Member Posts: 4
    Originally posted by exile01

About those two aspects:

crafting in AA= items with prefixed stats

Builds in AA= only 2 or 3 builds viable- since the game is armor based, no skill involvment either. Since most skills are pretty much usless and will be never used you get your 2-3 builds. Unlimited builds only in theory.

Are you playing this game?

Yes, there is prefixed stats in crafting gear, but it's incredibly difficult to craft quality gear.

I can name about 12 PvP Arena builds off the top of my head that is considered high tier. Open world PvP builds are different. Also, it's hard to PvE with PvP builds. Yes, there isn't 140 builds, but people can build how they see fit. It's funny you say there is no skill involvment in PvP. If you do play, how about you duel me in game right now? :D

• LeGrosGamerLeGrosGamer Member UncommonPosts: 223
    Sure ArcheAge has tons of features, the only problem is how much money do you gotta put on the cash shop to fully exploit the game's potential?   I bet AA will be like Atlantica Online, in the sense that the 150$ founder pack might look like a lot but it barely gets you started.  Same thing as Atlantica, where putting 2000$ on the cash shop barely gets you started at being "leet". That's my only problem with AA and why I won't be bothering with it.  Wildstar might not have anywhere near the features of AA, but at least it's the most legit of the 2. 
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Originally posted by LeGrosGamer
    Sure ArcheAge has tons of features, the only problem is how much money do you gotta put on the cash shop to fully exploit the game's potential?   I bet AA will be like Atlantica Online, in the sense that the 150$ founder pack might look like a lot but it barely gets you started.  Same thing as Atlantica, where putting 2000$ on the cash shop barely gets you started at being "leet". That's my only problem with AA and why I won't be bothering with it.  Wildstar might not have anywhere near the features of AA, but at least it's the most legit of the 2. 

This is my bigger concern, but it would be a different topic.  Everyone is having fun right now since the CASH SHOP is turned off for alpha.....This game could go south in a hart beat when the CASH SHOP goes live.....We may have another GPotato game on our hands....It may turn out about the all mighty $$.

• JabasJabas Member UncommonPosts: 1,249
    Sure ArcheAge has tons of features, the only problem is how much money do you gotta put on the cash shop to fully exploit the game's potential?  

A normal monthly fee, probabily 15bucks per month. All the rest is complete optional, i dont comente the rest of your post cause doesnt make any sense.

• rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by delete5230

This is my bigger concern, but it would be a different topic.  Everyone is having fun right now since the CASH SHOP is turned off for alpha.....This game could go south in a hart beat when the CASH SHOP goes live.....We may have another GPotato game on our hands....It may turn out about the all mighty $$.

From my experience with Trio and GPot, GPot is not even worth to mention.

Trion is a mutch better company and im sure if you just subscribe to the game like for every other game, you gonna have the real thing. I think it will be a fair F2P system with the promised "no tricks, no traps" but i expect the full flavor for a subscription like payment.

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626

Some of the replies here make me think i'm playing a different game. Anyone who comments on the cash shop is purely speculating, as it has not been released yet. I'm playing a build that is considered weak, yet as a level 43 - I literally killed a lvl 50, and 2 46's in 1v1s. There are many different aspects to this game, and the growth potential is insane. If you're not sure if you'll like it, then simply wait until release, and you can try it for free. Very simple.

If you think you will like the game, then I recommend getting the founders pack. Alpha is a freaking blast in my opinion, and as I level up - it only seems to be getting better. Either way - it's all about having fun, and that's all you should really aim for. 

• MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    All I can say is that you need to just walk around the world

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

You know those little messages that typically scroll across the bottom of your screen as you wait to log in?  Usually have something profound like... "pressing the numlock key turns on auto run" or something like that.

So today I'm waiting to log on, and it says "Submarines can perform different functions depending on how they are equipped"

I'd say this MMO is "deep" in more than just a few ways.  image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• strawhat0981strawhat0981 Member RarePosts: 1,198
    Originally posted by Kyleran

So today I'm waiting to log on, and it says "Submarines can perform different functions depending on how they are equipped"

I'd say this MMO is "deep" in more than just a few ways.  image

Damn I want a sub!!!!!!image

Originally posted by laokoko
    "if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788

It MAY turn out that way?  I think the fact that they are charging $150 for alpha access kind of shows you exactly what direction they are taking.  Not to mention the regions that are live have some really horrid cash shop and currency gouging going on.

You make me like charity

Originally posted by asmkm22

It MAY turn out that way?  I think the fact that they are charging $150 for alpha access kind of shows you exactly what direction they are taking.  Not to mention the regions that are live have some really horrid cash shop and currency gouging going on.

OK i totally agree with the 150$ cash grab, but to defend trion, they have to make some money. Taking 150$ is cheap compared to others wanting way more, if some one wants to pay that good for them. I would never pay 150$ for a beta or even a finished game, but AA seems to fit the bill for sandbox players and the themepark players. So if your crazy enough to pay that much, goodluck and I hope you stay along time!!!image

"if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

• dandurindandurin Member UncommonPosts: 498
    Originally posted by asmkm22
    ....It may turn out about the all mighty $$.

It may turn out they want to make money on the game?  Outrageous! 

As long as they don't let you buy end-game gear on the cash shop or charge you beyond subscription levels for bonus labor points, I hope they make a mint.  Charging for alpha on the other hand is great, it means they can be less P2W later.

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911

I'm enjoying the game. I'm currently chilling out and literally watching wheat grow on my tiny farm. This is the first time in a long long time I haven't felt the need to rush headlong into max level. I'm just crafting, exploring and questing at a very leisurely pace.

That's not to say this is a perfect game, it isn't. The world design is a bit odd. One minute you are thinking it's a steam punk with it's race cars  and air ships, you turn the corner and you see a norman castle and a guy in full armour riding into the sunset on his horse. The world lacks a distinct theme which will stop you from immersing yourself in the game because there is always something that jolts you back into the real world.

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237
    Originally posted by Arakazi

I'm enjoying the game. I'm currently chilling out and literally watching wheat grow on my tiny farm. This is the first time in a long long time I haven't felt the need to rush headlong into max level. I'm just crafting, exploring and questing at a very leisurely pace.

That's not to say this is a perfect game, it isn't. The world design is a bit odd. One minute you are thinking it's a steam punk with it's race cars  and air ships, you turn the corner and you see a norman castle and a guy in full armour riding into the sunset on his horse. The world lacks a distinct theme which will stop you from immersing yourself in the game because there is always something that jolts you back into the real world.

I think its theme IS its quirkyness.  It makes it unique and unexpected.  It gives it character.  Something that has been missing for me in recent MMOs.  I also heard that cars are not initially in the NA version (but I could be wrong as I read it somewhere).

The world design is a bit odd. One minute you are thinking it's a steam punk with it's race cars  and air ships, you turn the corner and you see a norman castle and a guy in full armour riding into the sunset on his horse. The world lacks a distinct theme which will stop you from immersing yourself in the game because there is always something that jolts you back into the real world.

I think the game will be great, but I dont know where they are really going with the world design. 

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Originally posted by Jabas
    Sure ArcheAge has tons of features, the only problem is how much money do you gotta put on the cash shop to fully exploit the game's potential?  

A normal monthly fee, probabily 15bucks per month. All the rest is complete optional, i dont comente the rest of your post cause doesnt make any sense.

Stop making stuff up.

You don't know this at all.  In fact, its extremely likely LP will be for sale in some fashion.

But the truth is none of us know.

• MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    Originally posted by strawhat0981

The world design is a bit odd. One minute you are thinking it's a steam punk with it's race cars  and air ships, you turn the corner and you see a norman castle and a guy in full armour riding into the sunset on his horse. The world lacks a distinct theme which will stop you from immersing yourself in the game because there is always something that jolts you back into the real world.

I think the game will be great, but I dont know where they are really going with the world design. 

Archeage's world is steampunk. Have we not seen the giant steampunk airships and the goblin buses?

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• KarbleKarble Member UncommonPosts: 750
    Originally posted by Maquiame
    Originally posted by strawhat0981

Archeage's world is steampunk. Have we not seen the giant steampunk airships and the goblin buses?

I agree as well that there are many concepts that lend to what I find a nice mix of steampunk and normal fantasy. We have fun things like the mini sub and speedboat which look inspired a bit by the Natilus from 20k leagues under the sea. There are cannon tanks that can be used to help lay siege to castles. There are tractors and cars that are very steampunk. Even the underwater  diving bells on ships look inspired. It's basically the best of two styles interwoven. We still see to this day in real life,we see certain religious people riding horse drawn carts into some modern towns to get supplies and sometimes engage in trade.

• MrG8MrG8 Member UncommonPosts: 111

Been watching a lot of Twitch-streams on AA for a while now and I like what I'm seeing. But there is a few big questions..

Sure, "open world pvp" is cool ! But I see a lot of gankings and "spawn" campings in the streams I'm watching, and I think there will be more of that when the game goes live since its a F2P game.

Sure, you might have fun now, but atm it cost 130 euro to play, so of course you wont get all the nut-heads yet... just wait until EVERYONE can join the game for free, then all the idiots will join!

Thats one question.... the other one is a big one... The very very limited space to place farms and houses...

While watching some streams I see how the person who plays tried to find a place to put his farm, without success.. its full everywhere.. I heard people make alts to claim big areas quick with one farm per alt..

Again, its alpha... what will happen when the game goes live and F2P... I bet everyone will try to place their farm after the quest.. and there wont nearly be enough space for everyone, so bye bye housing and say hi to public farms..

• An4thorAn4thor Member Posts: 524
    Originally posted by MrG8

Been watching a lot of Twitch-streams on AA for a while now and I like what I'm seeing. But there is a few big questions..

Sure, "open world pvp" is cool ! But I see a lot of gankings and "spawn" campings in the streams I'm watching, and I think there will be more of that when the game goes live since its a F2P game.

Sure, you might have fun now, but atm it cost 130 euro to play, so of course you wont get all the nut-heads yet... just wait until EVERYONE can join the game for free, then all the idiots will join!

Thats one question.... the other one is a big one... The very very limited space to place farms and houses...

While watching some streams I see how the person who plays tried to find a place to put his farm, without success.. its full everywhere.. I heard people make alts to claim big areas quick with one farm per alt..

Again, its alpha... what will happen when the game goes live and F2P... I bet everyone will try to place their farm after the quest.. and there wont nearly be enough space for everyone, so bye bye housing and say hi to public farms..

During alpha everyone can place a house and farm, there is not even one player that can't. At release there won't be subs only. Ofc they will be the majority; but it won't get packed like now.

• Proudsoul1Proudsoul1 Member UncommonPosts: 72
    Small point. Everything in the cash shop will be available in game.

• kahkonkahkon Member UncommonPosts: 7
    It is a sandbox and there is plenty to do.  Crafting is just one aspect.  I have been looking forward to this game for quite some time.....No that it is here, It seems pretty old school to me.
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

The game is far from deep game, especially when it comes to crafting which is just tedious as it all heavily based on RNG.

The game is full of fluff though, if you like fluff, AA is your game.