Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ESO is unlike any other mmo before it

2»

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,992

I noticed the guy who said there were too many ghosts, you are right there are. But the reason for this means it is time for me to make a prediction:

Upcoming MMOs which focus on questing are now going to have ghosts, dreams, oracles or some such which allow players to take part in historical events, even future events. This is an old chestnut used in solo rpg games and has been used in MMOS before, but now it has well and truly arrived in MMOs. It is seen as a good way of linking quests to lore and phasing technology favours an historical approach. The reason for this is phasing allows for before and after quest landscapes.

You can show a landscape as it was in history and how it is now. You can therefore get a couple of uses out of the same terrain, getting more bang for your development buck.

So I see ghosts, dreamscapes, powers that look into the past, oracles and so on all becoming much more common features in MMOs.

• GrixxittGrixxitt Member UncommonPosts: 545
    Originally posted by Husvik
    Originally posted by Nevulus
    Originally posted by Husvik

You know in every mmo you have ever played you kill rats, not in ESO though, you collect them instead. Very refreshing change.

...for the record i love the game.

Kind of like WoW's quest to collect the rats in Deep tram.. which was done 10 years ago. Refreshing like stale old beer :(

You do know i was being facetious right?

!!! http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/facetious !!!

I think a certain demographic might need some assistance!

The above is my personal opinion. Anyone displaying a view contrary to my opinion is obviously WRONG and should STHU. (neener neener)

-The MMO Forum Community

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

I liked the Child of Light version better. A giant rat had you clean out its basement.

Mind = Blown

<3

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,992
    Originally posted by dreamscaper

I liked the Child of Light version better. A giant rat had you clean out its basement.

Mind = Blown

That gets my classic award! :D

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791
    Originally posted by artemisentr4
    Originally posted by Neo_Liberty
    Originally posted by xpiher
    Originally posted by Reklaw
    Originally posted by Mothanos

I love the elder scrolls games and this is nothing like a real elder scrolls title. You can't "play your way" because the entire game guides you into quest hubs. 

That's crap.. You choose to do quests. In every game you can kill whatever you want.. Nothing forces you to do otherwise.

I double that "crap" meter. If you only follow the quests blindly, then yes it can feel like that. Or you can play as you want in each zone. I usually get to a new zone and just pick a direction as I harvest and find quests in what ever order they come.

No you don't have the whole map to do this. But each zone can be done however you want. Don't want to be lead around? Don't play like all the other quest hub games.

Don't you have to follow a specific quest line in each zone before you can enter the next zone?  

Your game must work different from the one I played, because the one I played forced me to complete quests before it would allow me to move on to anther zone, and just killing mobs gave next to no exp, loot, or coin.  

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Uhwop

I love the elder scrolls games and this is nothing like a real elder scrolls title. You can't "play your way" because the entire game guides you into quest hubs. 

That's crap.. You choose to do quests. In every game you can kill whatever you want.. Nothing forces you to do otherwise.

I double that "crap" meter. If you only follow the quests blindly, then yes it can feel like that. Or you can play as you want in each zone. I usually get to a new zone and just pick a direction as I harvest and find quests in what ever order they come.

No you don't have the whole map to do this. But each zone can be done however you want. Don't want to be lead around? Don't play like all the other quest hub games.

Don't you have to follow a specific quest line in each zone before you can enter the next zone?  

Your game must work different from the one I played, because the one I played forced me to complete quests before it would allow me to move on to anther zone, and just killing mobs gave next to no exp, loot, or coin.  

You sure you played higher than level 6 in beta? After the Coldharbour tutorial -- which is only required if this is your first character -- you can go wherever the hell you want

Like it or not, I could care less... but at least try to be accurate. You're the one who sounds like you never played and are just regurgitating shit you heard somewhere lol.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Moar61Moar61 Member UncommonPosts: 260
    Originally posted by DEAD.line
    How about an mmo that lets me tame the rats, make do some tricks, and then hand the over for the quest? 

There's a couple quests like that in ESO. Not necessarily tame, but you capture them in this bubble which makes them friendly. In one you capture a werewolf and lead it back to a cave. In another you bring bears and wolves to some twisted mage.

Originally posted by Iselin

You sure you played higher than level 6 in beta? After the Coldharbour tutorial -- which is only required if this is your first character -- you can go wherever the hell you want

Like it or not, I could care less... but at least try to be accurate. You're the one who sounds like you never played and are just regurgitating shit you heard somewhere lol.

No.  But what I did experience was an npc I needed to kill for the main quest line not spawning in the third zone I entered, and me not being able to get out of that zone until I was able to complete the quest because the next quest sent me to a gate that lead to the next zone, and without the quest to go there I wasn't able to interact with the gate.  

And you clearly seem to care, like it or not.  

PS: even the first two zones after coldharbour wouldn't let me leave until the main quest lines were completed.  

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

No.  But what I did experience was an npc I needed to kill for the main quest line not spawning in the third zone I entered, and me not being able to get out of that zone until I was able to complete the quest because the next quest sent me to a gate that lead to the next zone, and without the quest to go there I wasn't able to interact with the gate.  

No you misunderstand me. perhaps I wasn't clear... I care about demystifying the bullshit that is often unchallenged in this forum. It's you disliking the game that I don't give a shit about.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• noluknoluk Member UncommonPosts: 22

SPOILERS SPOLILERS  Do not read if you want  a surprise at 50 with quest storyline

The concept of Veteran levels are an added on quick fix to the no end game content.  It was a very cost effective solution to what to do to keep people busy after they hit 50 but it is not a good solution.  You get to do quests in another zone... everything except the good storyline main quests that honestly drive the leveling experience from 1-50.  You have a giant enemy that you also defeat in Cold Harbour...  Yet what do you find in the first veteran zone... a Dark Anchor.... I thought I just ended that threat a couple of quests ago and he cannot make dark anchors anymore.  

This makes that whole quest line meaningless.  The VR quests we are left to grind through are the fluff add-on quests which were not the good quest lines that were fully developed.  The NPC's we interact with as veterans are not persistent throughout the chapters and zones but are the one off side quest types.  The personal investment is missing from the VR experience completely.  The only reward is the level itself that slowly slowly slowly advances.  PVP is not a solution, even at the proposed double XP level.  A couple of hours of PVP right now will net you 1-2% of a VR level.  Double that and you are at (let's be generous) at 5% of a VR level per night.  20 nights per level x 10 VR levels and you are at 200 nights????  Yeah PVP is a valid leveling option..  PVP can be a very fun part of the experience however on the US servers, a big fight is 100-200 vs 100-200 on a crowded battleground instance.  Even if they were all full we are talking about a few thousand people pvping max across all of the NA server.  In a fairly active time zone.  (9-10 pm EST) 

If the only goal left is to get VR 10 then making the path to get there so painful is a horrible way to encourage player retention.  People may still be subscribed and may even be grinding still but there are lots less around.  When the game first came out every zone had multiple instances of it running which you could confirm by logging in and out.  Try that now in most zones and you see that they are almost all single instances.  You will have a hard time finding multiple instances of ANY zone up and running.  The other drawback to this design is by making us do almost every quest in the game (and there are thousands) with our primary character, any desire to create alts is minimized.  The content will be a straight repeat for large parts of any zone.  VR3 takes 1.3 million VP approximately.  Each quest gives 2-6k xp depending on complexity and an average mob kill gives 42 VP.  Give or take 300 quests to level.... Not an ideal solution

No you misunderstand me. perhaps I wasn't clear... I care about demystifying the bullshit that is often unchallenged in this forum. It's you disliking the game that I don't give a shit about.

Except I never said anything about disliking the game.  

You obviously care enough to call me a liar though, and that is indeed what you're doing.