Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] WildStar: Making Raids Matter Again

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Raids. They’re the hardcorest of the hardcorest parts of WildStar. The team at Carbine is in the final stretch to launch, with an Open Beta ongoing until the 18th of May, and head start launch at the end of the month.  But Mike Donatelli, Design Director at the studio, took some time out late last week to give us the lowdown on one of WildStar’s biggest flagship features: the raiding elder game.  Read on to find out why Mike thinks Carbine’s raids will make raiding something people actually enjoy again.

Read the rest of Bill Murphy's WildStar: Making Raids Matter Again

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• Fenrir767Fenrir767 Member Posts: 595
    It's that hardcore mentality that is keeping me away from this game when WoW had only 2% of players seeing the raid content that was a problem. Will Solo loot equal raid loot but only require a time sink? Otherwise Wildstar is back where Blizzard was.
  • DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216
    Originally posted by Fenrir767
    It's that hardcore mentality that is keeping me away from this game when WoW had only 2% of players seeing the raid content that was a problem. Will Solo loot equal raid loot but only require a time sink? Otherwise Wildstar is back where Blizzard was.

From my understanding solo gear will not be equivalent to raid gear.  

I used to feel it should, but i gradually realized i didnt need raid gear.  

also PvP will have seperate gear

• deucenginedeucengine Member CommonPosts: 1

The problem with vanilla WoW was Raids were basically the only thing to do at end game. WildStar has alot for a solo'er at end game. 

And no the solo gear won't equal the raid loot but it honestly shouldn't. But what it will be is exactly what is needed for the content you are consuming.

• VicDynamoVicDynamo Member Posts: 234

Solo gear won't be as powerful as raid gear and that's not what Donatelli was saying here.

• SaluteSalute Member UncommonPosts: 795
    SUPEEEERB!!!!!!

All Time Favorites: EQ1, WoW, EvE, GW1
    Playing Now: WoW, ESO, GW2

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    They are not all that hardcore at all. Long as people know how to move around during a boss encounter and move out of path of telepaths it is softcore at best.
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• BouttimeBouttime Member Posts: 9

Paradise for skilled and organised players.

[mod edit]

Cant wait.

• Fenrir767Fenrir767 Member Posts: 595
    If that is the root they are taking with no LFR or any way for casuals to see the content they are putting a ton of pressure on their content creating machine to keep the rest of the game amazing. I personally see this as a mistake as they at targeting a small sect of players.
  • jbombardjbombard Member UncommonPosts: 598
    If that is the root they are taking with no LFR or any way for casuals to see the content they are putting a ton of pressure on their content creating machine to keep the rest of the game amazing. I personally see this as a mistake as they at targeting a small sect of players.

This is exactly why I think they'll succeed.  

Different content for different people means you don't get the problem WoW has with LFR where the majority of the people running it hate the experience and do it only for the gear.  You see it is the character progression they love, so they put up with LFR but after a while of repetitively doing tasks you don't enjoy burnout sets in.  This is what Blizzard doesn't get and why they keep on losing players.  

They know what they have to do to keep people subbed.   They have different content types for different player types, and yes it is a lot of work to make all that content.  They knew this from the get go and planned their systems and tools from the ground to be able to develop content quickly.   Unlike WoW and many of the other clones, who didn't design their systems and tools that way and have a much harder time churning out content .  They seem to know their shit, and they appear to have planned properly.  

Of course, at the end of the day whether or not they are able to execute what they have planned is a different story, but they appear to have their ducks in a row.

• drakaenadrakaena Member UncommonPosts: 506
    Raids matter again? This genre has been on a raid or die treadmill for a decade.
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    When did people stop enjoying raids!? Rift, WoW, EQ1/2 all have exceptional raid content. 
  • drakaenadrakaena Member UncommonPosts: 506
    You do know there's still heroic raid content in WoW for serious raiders, right?
    So somehow WS raids are better because they don't offer an easy mode raid for people who don't have the time to make raiding a job?
    You do realize all the players you described as "hating the experience" will bypass WS entirely - cutting into the playerbase - making it Hardee for you to find people to raid 40 man's with.
    I don't see WS having a high enough pop to sustain more than one or two successful 40 man raiding guilds per server.
    Unless they nerf the raids or go ftp.
  • Tr3izeTr3ize Member Posts: 35

If you wanna play an MMO you should accept that doing hardcore grouping has better rewards than doing solo play. A MMO is a multiplayer game, if you want to get the best gear as a solo player, play a single player RPG or an ARPG.

• FoeHammerJTFoeHammerJT Member Posts: 148
    Originally posted by Tr3ize

If you wanna play an MMO you should accept that doing hardcore grouping has better rewards than doing solo play. A MMO is a multiplayer game, if you want to get the best gear as a solo player, play a single player RPG or an ARPG.

And Single Player games or ARPGs is where I'd love to see people with this attitude go. I'd love to see an MMO which almost required group play just to survive, in a non-gankfest DF2-way. Playing an MMO should be about sharing an experience with others, not playing a solo game while there are hundreds of name tags around you spamming Chuck Norris jokes in a huge public chat a large % of the population leaves as soon as they are in game.

If I recall,that 2% number was more like the percentage of people actually completing all available content. The % of people experiencing and progressing in those raids was much higher. AND lets not ignore the most important FACT of the so-called horrible experience of the original WoW and its first couple of expansions: it was GAINING players at an EXPONENTIAL rate while having challenging raids as its core PVE late game experience. It was not until they decided to do LFR, when people began leaving the game by the hundreds of thousands (although it certainly isn't the only reason for that desertion.)

• obocoboc Member UncommonPosts: 189
    They have made it clear that this content is for only 2-5% of the player base. They know and accept that fact. 
  • brihtwulfbrihtwulf Member UncommonPosts: 975
    Great, ANOTHER raid-centric game.  This isn't anything "new" for the most part.  It's just like EQ, WoW, Rift, and many, many other MMO's.  I'm not sure why they think what they are doing is so amazing, or how it will be worth $15 a month.  ESO said the same thing prior to launch, that they would be putting our "major" content every month.  But their first patch game in after the first month, and it was stuff they had mostly done before the game launched.  It seems highly doubtful they will be delivering major content in a monthly, or even bi-monthly basis.
  • LyrianLyrian Member UncommonPosts: 412

IIRC during the beta there is raid comparable world drop gear that drops from the level 50 zones. Some of them were better than raid gear for certain classes. If you're willing to grind and farm for hours on end, you can definitely get yourself geared up. Or if you prefer to be a hound at the market, I'm sure you will be able to buy those pieces as well. If at a premium.

Besides, if you're not interested in grinding away at raids, the PvP side of the game has comparable gear that will keep you playing.

• VendakuVendaku Member Posts: 77
    Very nice video I think. Challenging raids is something I enjoy personally. I may have to give this game a try.
  • Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654
    Originally posted by Betaguy
    They are not all that hardcore at all. Long as people know how to move around during a boss encounter and move out of path of telepaths it is softcore at best.

This guy didn't watch the video.

Originally posted by drakaena
    Raids matter again? This genre has been on a raid or die treadmill for a decade.

Huh?  That's why people still play WoW and it's the number one most played game, it has the most and best raids right now.

A lot of other games are very popular because of their raids, and in fact I can't think of a single game that doesn't have a raid in SOME form, even TERA and FFXIV added them post launch.

• MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977
    Originally posted by Laughing-man

Huh?  That's why people still play WoW and it's the number one most played game, it has the most and best raids right now.

A lot of other games are very popular because of their raids, and in fact I can't think of a single game that doesn't have a raid in SOME form, even TERA and FFXIV added them post launch.

it is VERY different if the game "has raids" or if its "raid centric"

WS is going backwards, its like recreating Ford T and saying you have something awesome.

• SatsunoryuSatsunoryu Member UncommonPosts: 285
    This is the first time I've been excited to raid or PVE at all in a very long time.
  • VicDynamoVicDynamo Member Posts: 234
    Originally posted by Betaguy

Says the guy who's never done one. 

Originally posted by Malabooga

it is VERY different if the game "has raids" or if its "raid centric"

WS is going backwards, its like recreating Ford T and saying you have something awesome.

Pardon me, did you read the interview?

I'll quote mike.

"We’re not ignoring any group of people.  Even solo players can get geared up, get runes, socket them, see new zones, new islands, new shiphand missions, and slot their gear too to be powerful."  - source, scroll up to the interview.

So respectfully I disagree.

• Scott_JeslisScott_Jeslis Member RarePosts: 628

And Marvel Heroes is adding raids too LOL.

I have no problem with Raids, I've never raided personally due to the time required to be set aside.