Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WildStar: Latest DevSpeak Takes on Raids

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

One of the most important features of any MMO, it's lifeblood, so to speak, is the end game raiding system. In today's WildStar DevSpeak, Carbine developers take on the issue of raids and what makes WildStar's unique. Check it out and let us know what you think in the comments!

Today, we’d like to introduce you to something we’ve been waiting to show you for a long, long time: WildStar Raids. If you live for dangerous dungeons and brutal, punishing boss bottles, WildStar’s Raids are for you. These Raids aren’t just hardcore, they’re diamond-core 20- and 40-player PvE dungeons on crack that will pit your characters against the loudest bosses ever promoted. What makes WildStar’s raids so awesome?

Telegraph combat system - The Telegraph Combat System makes dungeons unpredictable and exciting. No website walkthrough will prepare you for the complex boss battles and randomized chaos you will face.

Teamwork – In raids you will join 20 or 40 players as you battle through destructive environments, making teamwork essential. Whether you are dropping down a heal or grappling a team member to safety, teamwork is vital to surviving these mind-bending gauntlets.

Replayability – Sure you’ve done the impossible: cleansed the area, killed the bosses, looted the loot, and killed the things. But if you wanted a static universe, you came to the wrong one! On Nexus, enemies learn from your pesky visits. Be prepared for tectonic shifts from one week to the next, with unique events and bosses available at variable times. Because the only thing better than accomplishing the impossible is doing it repeatedly.

Loads and loads of loot! – After defeating Nexus’s toughest delegators, don’t forget their putrefying uber-corpses are loaded with desirable accessories. From epic armor sets, uniquely powerful runes and elderly gems in record numbers, to artifact weapons of incomparable majesty. The goodies you’ll find on these deceased demi-stiffs will more than justify every death and bead of perspiration!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Raven322Raven322 Member UncommonPosts: 68
    As one of the 1% can I just say they look amazing.
  • HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    Originally posted by DMKano

Lets talk about something that 1% of players will ever see.

I never understood this comment, anyone can see the content, nothing stops the "99% from doing it. In Wow my guild was very casual. raided 2 times a week for 3 - 5 hours, depending on if people need to head to bed early for work, didn't get super far, but we got to see content. So i think this 1% thing is bs imho. Find the right people and just jump in, might die all the time, but owell :)

Even so there is still ton of thing for thos who don't want to raid, vet dungeons, warplots, housing, etc.

• VicDynamoVicDynamo Member Posts: 234

How many people watch e-sports on Twitch vs. the number that will ever be a finalist in the tournament? Less than 1%, yet knowing your game can feature the best of the best is something the rest can be proud of and root for. You completely miss the point of having a game that the hardcore want to play.

• BouttimeBouttime Member Posts: 9

So great.

Give us old MMO spirit plz.

Let the rest stalking in SW queing lfr with fucktards.

And dynamic raids mechanics. Jesus . Yeahhhhhh

• Fenrir767Fenrir767 Member Posts: 595
    I don't see why having multiple levels is bad SWTOR has had a lot if success with this model. You can do Story Mode encounters to prep for harder encounters with your organized dedicated group.
  • sldropsldrop Member Posts: 112

i dont understand... if u want to do raid join raiding guild. why the 1%? everyone can do it if they want. 

• st3v3b0st3v3b0 Member UncommonPosts: 155

Correction.  

Let's talk about something that players with no skill will ever see.

That sounds more accurate.  I play VERY casually, but can still find the time once or twice a week to participate in raids.  And if you are a solo player, why should you care anyways.

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968
    Originally posted by st3v3b0

Correction.  

That sounds more accurate.  I play VERY casually, but can still find the time once or twice a week to participate in raids.  And if you are a solo player, why should you care anyways.

Good luck with that.  If organization is anything that is typical in MMO raiding then fat chance of getting a guild that will take you.  Especially if you want to play DPS.  Especially if the game is doing a "hardcore" style of raiding where its going to take commitment far beyond a onesie twosie casual player.

On the topic in the thread, I strongly believe that this is going to cause more headache than anything else because how many tanks, healers, and DPS have we known that "stand in the fire" all the time.  I remember when Ulda came out in Wrath 3.2 or whatever and the guild was wiping on that dragon boss, 2nd or 3rd boss.

I really do enjoy raids however I just don't have the time to commit a amt of time which was one of the major reasons that Blizz went away from 40 mans.  I am putting more interest in open sandbox games like Pathfinder Online where I can, hopefully, log on as a please that my schedule allows and work with my guildies and feel like I've accomplished something.  This is pretty much the main reason I gave up on MMOs, the time commitment of raids and its a raid or GTFO endgame mechanic and don't care much for PvP if its just random BGs and pretty much meaningless.

From the vid I am betting there is going to be a lot of nerd raging and there is going to be some massive nerfs.  PvEers don't like chaotic challenges, like want their easy loot.  If they want chaotic challenges then they would be playing PvP not PvE where its all scripted and predictable.

I respect Carbine for doing what they are doing, but I strongly think they are trying to appeal for the very much minority since the vast majority are casual gamers who will get frustrated.

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

lol was thinking the same thing!!!- but give em props for developing something to strive for!!!!

they look EPIC hard!!!

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

Correction.  

as a solo casual player, it matters if the main Lore story progression is through the raid . WoWs

LFR system was sucessful in that everyone got to see the main story, and that is a win in any mmo!

its not all about 'leader boards' or 'worlds first' = those days are waaaay over! for me.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    One of the most important features for any hardcore MMO, casual MMOs should be focusing on other things for end game.  Unfortunately, very few developers have the cajones or the imagination to make that happen.

• KaladinKaladin Member Posts: 468
    Originally posted by orbitxo

Correction.  

as a solo casual player, it matters if the main Lore story progression is through the raid . WoWs

LFR system was sucessful in that everyone got to see the main story, and that is a win in any mmo!

its not all about 'leader boards' or 'worlds first' = those days are waaaay over! for me.

Actually they addressed this VERY well imo.  They have implemented solo instanced story quests that go into the raid areas themselves and give more story than the raids would.  Raiders will get the clift notes of the story, but the full story will be done solo.  These quests begin at level 30 if I remember correctly (and are not in beta right now so nobody can spoil it yet)

I can fly higher than an aeroplane.
    And I have the voice of a thousand hurricanes.
    Hurt - Wars

• LyrianLyrian Member UncommonPosts: 412
    Originally posted by Kaladin
    Actually they addressed this VERY well imo.  They have implemented solo instanced story quests that go into the raid areas themselves and give more story than the raids would.  Raiders will get the clift notes of the story, but the full story will be done solo.  These quests begin at level 30 if I remember correctly (and are not in beta right now so nobody can spoil it yet)

Having done it in closed beta (the story). It is fcking awesome. Just you wait! :D

• timf2121timf2121 Member UncommonPosts: 12
    I agree that getting the 40 players to raid with is the diffcult part. I remember that WoW in the beginning also has alot of 40-man raids and met with problems and complaints. I am interested to see how wildstar can manage. 
    Originally posted by Lyrian

Having done it in closed beta (the story). It is fcking awesome. Just you wait! :D

The ones with that glowy chick (name escapes me)?  I know there was one, but I didn't think they'd released the bulk of them.

Or were you in the super secret closed beta for the content they don't want to reveal yet.

Hurt - Wars

• ceaser23ceaser23 Member Posts: 3
    are you sure you ever played an MMO ? 
    Originally posted by ceaser23
    are you sure you ever played an MMO ? 

Are you responding to anybody in particular?

Hurt - Wars

• LyrianLyrian Member UncommonPosts: 412
    Originally posted by Lyrian

The ones with that glowy chick (name escapes me)?  I know there was one, but I didn't think they'd released the bulk of them.

Or were you in the super secret closed beta for the content they don't want to reveal yet.

Yes the glowy chick. :P It was part of the normal leveling content for the closed beta players before they discontinued the 24/6 closed beta portion. Plus you get many more data cubes that reveal the story, and why the raids are important for us (as players) to go there.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617

Lets talk about that 1% from so many games wanting to come to Wildstar because of the raids. I have seen many raiding guilds that have said they are coming here, just for raids. Unlike most raids, there is no pattern to what comes next, its all random. Also with dynamic landscape the devs will be changing the areas the raids happen from time to time. If you like raids, this will be your game. If you dont... there is still tones of small scale content to keep you busy.

• darkrain21darkrain21 Member UncommonPosts: 383

The 1% are the world first people. I was in that 1% before in Vannilla wow and BC and I ended up hating it.  When I left I found a guild that we raided 3 nights a week for 4 to 5 hours. We did it fairly casual and still managed to clear BT and Sunwell before the 30% nerf. So more than the 1% will see this content just not at a stupid fast pace. I myself expect to not even be trying the 40 man for at least a month or two minimum. 

• TsumoroTsumoro Member UncommonPosts: 435
    Originally posted by furbans

Correction.  

Good luck with that.  If organization is anything that is typical in MMO raiding then fat chance of getting a guild that will take you.  Especially if you want to play DPS.  Especially if the game is doing a "hardcore" style of raiding where its going to take commitment far beyond a onesie twosie casual player.

On the topic in the thread, I strongly believe that this is going to cause more headache than anything else because how many tanks, healers, and DPS have we known that "stand in the fire" all the time.  I remember when Ulda came out in Wrath 3.2 or whatever and the guild was wiping on that dragon boss, 2nd or 3rd boss.

I really do enjoy raids however I just don't have the time to commit a amt of time which was one of the major reasons that Blizz went away from 40 mans.  I am putting more interest in open sandbox games like Pathfinder Online where I can, hopefully, log on as a please that my schedule allows and work with my guildies and feel like I've accomplished something.  This is pretty much the main reason I gave up on MMOs, the time commitment of raids and its a raid or GTFO endgame mechanic and don't care much for PvP if its just random BGs and pretty much meaningless.

From the vid I am betting there is going to be a lot of nerd raging and there is going to be some massive nerfs.  PvEers don't like chaotic challenges, like want their easy loot.  If they want chaotic challenges then they would be playing PvP not PvE where its all scripted and predictable.

I respect Carbine for doing what they are doing, but I strongly think they are trying to appeal for the very much minority since the vast majority are casual gamers who will get frustrated.

The thing here is that a few assumptions are made, I don't think this is 'raid' or GTFO kinda thing. It is something to appease raiders. I think the approach that Wildstar is going is that its saying.. hey if you like this, well you're in luck, we got a tonne of it and I think they are trying to hit all the niches. 

Now, I did 40 man back in WoW and that was a lot of hours. A lot of fun also, but not something I can invest into (time wise) now days. But, I will still play Wildstar and I will still raid. Hardcore raiding does not mean hardcore hours, its saying, this isnt a faceroll.

Also, a lot of people seem to thin you need to be able to do a raid all in one sitting. You don't, in MC you did 1-2 bosses (if you could) until you could edge in. The "Hardcore guilds" will progress further, but the more casual will get there but taking much longer. 

So if you like raiding but dont have much time, then join/form a casual guild, then raid. Most casual raid groups go from 7pm-9pm or something like that so theres really nothing stopping you.