Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] H1Z1: Chatting All Things ‘Hizzy’ with Jimmy Whisenhunt

2»

Comments

• Mighty_PlatypusMighty_Platypus Member UncommonPosts: 101
    I will not disagree with DK in on the feeling of them rushing this game out the door for a cash grab. I do however understand why they are doing it. There is no game available for this niche yet. Everything is in alpha, and with even a small amount of money (relative) Sony can have a finished product out the door 2 years before any of the others can even get to beta. Hopefully Sony will listen to the players, and bring more to the table than some left overs reheated in the oven, yes oven not microwave, but they are still left overs.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by afvibe
    I will not disagree with DK in on the feeling of them rushing this game out the door for a cash grab. I do however understand why they are doing it. There is no game available for this niche yet. Everything is in alpha, and with even a small amount of money (relative) Sony can have a finished product out the door 2 years before any of the others can even get to beta. Hopefully Sony will listen to the players, and bring more to the table than some left overs reheated in the oven, yes oven not microwave, but they are still left overs.

Rushing it out the door? Maybe, however I have to end any agreement there. This isn't an RPG, it's a free online MMco-op survival game. Emphasis on free...

All it needs to do really is be better than deathmatch modes in your typical FPS to have any staying power, they seem to be offering far more than simply that, and for free. It's basically PS2 with PVE and more crafting options. I"m sorry if something like COD can rank the highest in consecutive online play hours something like this really doesn't have to try too hard to garner some interest.

We're forgetting what sony's key to offering this type of game is, it's greater library of current and future games available for one small flat fee.

I see no part about this that is a bad idea.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• AlalalaAlalala Member UncommonPosts: 314

Let me get this right -

To be a Sony Game Designer, you need to be able to play someone else's game (say, um, DayZ), write down all the game's features, ask someone else to put those features in your game, no more no less, and come up with a so-so clever title (why not H1DayZ1, ffs?).

I'm thinking that job requires about six-grade writing skills, no creativity, and no education or experience in "game design".  That's about the same skill set as cleaning toilets.

I couldn't be more disappointed that Sony's big 'spiritual successor' to SWG is DayZ with a SOE splash screen at launch.

This will be a F2P game I won't play, even when it is free.  I already have DayZ.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by Alalala

Let me get this right -

To be a Sony Game Designer, you need to be able to play someone else's game (say, um, DayZ), write down all the game's features, ask someone else to put those features in your game, no more no less, and come up with a so-so clever title (why not H1DayZ1, ffs?).

I'm thinking that job requires about six-grade writing skills, no creativity, and no education or experience in "game design".  That's about the same skill set as cleaning toilets.

I couldn't be more disappointed that Sony's big 'spiritual successor' to SWG is DayZ with a SOE splash screen at launch.

This will be a F2P game I won't play, even when it is free.  I already have DayZ.

Well other than Zombies its not gonig to be much like DayZ at all.. this is a full on mmo with 1000s of players on each server.

I dont thnik they have sat down and gone yup lets copy Dayz exactly there are a lot of differences.. also if you say that abotu this then you say that abotu every current game that is out there as there are very few origional games these days they are all based on tried and tested genres.. fps, tps, themepark mmorpgs, sandbox mmorpgs, rpgs, arpgs, adventure, horror.. well and many more you get my point so i guess none of the current game companies have any skills at all and should in fact all be cleaning toilets ?

At the end of the day its of course your choice if you play it or not but its free and I think you will be missing out.

• NeherunNeherun Member UncommonPosts: 280

Fucking zombie survival games have over 3 million player market, if not more. And you're looking for possibilites of PvE? Give me a break.- even attempting to satisfy anyone else but the survival crowd leads to the games downfall.

Also, zombies do not require AI? I want them to actually behave like "realistic" zombies, I don't want them to stand still and just calculate whether they spotted me or not. I want them to live, stumble around, stare at some broken car mirror while growling, and if player makes noise, attract to that noise and walk towards it, and heaven help you if they spot you in their peripheral vision.

• SemielSemiel Member UncommonPosts: 94

>To be a Sony Game Designer, you need to be able to play someone else's game (say, um, DayZ), write down all the game's features,

DayZ the running simulator? What "game features" exactly?

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

I'm convinced that SOE saw a great opportunity to use the LightForge engine to make something quick and easy like this zombie survival game.

The engine is solid and battle-tested, but the game concept is extremely limited and the team is very small. They're slapping together some basic game systems, making a nice map and adding lots of promises. Very low budget, probably the cheapest (and fastest) MMO SOE will ever make, so it might actually be profitable with low player numbers. And if it dies in 6 months, nobody will care.

• TheOctagonTheOctagon Member UncommonPosts: 411

Still trying to see whats going to make it different than the other half-baked survival games...

Spawn, creep around, search for and gather materials, craft, gank other players, make fun of their moms in open chat when they say something about it.

Nothing new or revolutionary. I see alot of 'We Hope to haves' and 'Later on down the line' meaning nothing is guaranteed. I'm sure it will look pretty though...

• SirFubarSirFubar Member Posts: 397

The writer talks about DayZ like it's a finished game... Also, all of H1Z1 features are more or less the same as DayZ. Both games are VERY similar, with a few exceptions here and there. The major difference between both games is the amount of players there will be per server and the size of the map.

Anyone who says otherwise clearly didn't research on the matter.

• CalexCalex Member UncommonPosts: 99
    Originally posted by SirFubar

The writer talks about DayZ like it's a finished game... Also, all of H1Z1 features are more or less the same as DayZ. Both games are VERY similar, with a few exceptions here and there. The major difference between both games is the amount of players there will be per server and the size of the map.

Anyone who says otherwise clearly didn't research on the matter.

I think you are missing the biggest differences here. This game will not be on that crap game engine and will not have that time bomb Rocket leading the team. Oh yeah, and it will probably actually have the features in it instead of on forever dev testing mode.