Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] H1Z1: Chatting All Things ‘Hizzy’ with Jimmy Whisenhunt

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

When SOE finally unveiled H1Z1, it was easy to simply pass it off as ‘DayZ the MMO’, but there’s more to this zombie apocalypse MMO than meets the eye. We recently had a chance to chat all things ‘Hizzy’ (as SOE calls it internally) with the game’s senior designer, Jimmy Whisenhunt.

Read more of Michael Bitton's H1Z1: Chatting All Things ‘Hizzy’ with Jimmy Whisenhunt.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• strawhat0981strawhat0981 Member RarePosts: 1,198
    Im looking forward to trying this one out.

Originally posted by laokoko
    "if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

• falc0nfalc0n Member UncommonPosts: 385
    Wow this one is coming out way sooner then this gamer expected!
  • winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
     Soo in other words to sum up this article, This game have this and it may have that, it might even have that other thing possibly because it sounds cool and we know some players will pay early access fees to alpha test a game they think might eventually have that. In the end its very likely none of these things will be in game and we can always say we are still working on it, or it just didn't suite the game we are making but please play and pay us. Personally not for me from what I've heard so far but YMMV  
  • DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

This title made it to my watch list, very interesting.

But dump the ideas of different server types!

Have ONE strong vision and keep it on ONE server.

Or don't you know how the game is best played? Also accept it: not every game should be made for everyone

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Looking forward to all the goodies SOE is cooking up with their Forgelight engine.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• Originally posted by winter
     Soo in other words to sum up this article, This game have this and it may have that, it might even have that other thing possibly because it sounds cool and we know some players will pay early access fees to alpha test a game they think might eventually have that. In the end its very likely none of these things will be in game and we can always say we are still working on it, or it just didn't suite the game we are making but please play and pay us. Personally not for me from what I've heard so far but YMMV  

This isn't like any of those indie games. This is an AAA title with a good developer. I know some of you don't like and maybe hate Soe. But their last products are very good. Planetside 2 is the best mmofps out there. Dc Universe is an amazing mmo for "console". And the top of that Everquest Next and Landmark going very strong. I'm very happy for what I see in Landmark and I'm very exited for Everquest Next. They've made some very bad mistakes with Swg in the past but they seem to understood their faults. And their early access price for this game is very low actually.  Only 20 bucks... And the top of that this game will be f2p when it released. On the other hand Dayz is a "half" indie game with a low budged. Their lead designer left the game. Dayz early access price is 30 bucks. And when the game itself released the price will increase. Well...

• CalexCalex Member UncommonPosts: 99
    Looks better than DayZ. DayZ is using that horrible Arma engine. If they can make the game run smooth and get some kind of base building going on, game could turn out to be a winner.
  • Storm_CloudStorm_Cloud Member UncommonPosts: 401

Curious question... When was this interview done? Assuming it's fresh...

It said release is now in 3-5 weeks... Last time it was 4-6 weeks which is what? 4-5 weeks ago?

So, with the extra time added to the ETA I predict there will be more time added and we'll be getting this at the time of SOE live in August, lol. They've already said they'll have the game there.

• NodboNNodboN Member UncommonPosts: 50

so zeds know where all the doors are... that's the same AI of the majority of zombie games. not something to be proud to show off. now if they banged on that door or window till it broke and climbed in, congratz something to be extremely proud of.

game is old hat with a different graphic engine, ill wait till open beta or when ever they let people play for free  the first time.

• LeirosLeiros Member UncommonPosts: 281

So it's a zombie game with crafting ... anyone interested in this should check out "7 Days to Die" on Steam. Everything said in this article, aside from the persistent MMO aspect, reminds me of it. If this wasn't SOE, I might give it a shot. I still don't see how this is supposed to be a "home" for SWG vets...

Originally posted by Leiros

So it's a zombie game with crafting ... anyone interested in this should check out "7 Days to Die" on Steam. Everything said in this article, aside from the persistent MMO aspect, reminds me of it. 

But 7 days to die is not an mmoimage, so if I want a survival mmo(like h1z1) why check out the other game?

"if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

• Greymantle4Greymantle4 Member UncommonPosts: 809
    If there is no pve server I have zero interest.
    Originally posted by DMKano

SoE is 2 years late to zombie survival genre.

I still see this as a bandwagon throw-away project, that is lacking in vision and originality.

2 years, please, if you think dayz is the best in the survival genre your crazy. Plus what game is the "one" survival game to play?

Originally posted by strawhat0981

I still see this as a bandwagon throw-away project, that is lacking in vision and originality.

2 years, please, if you think dayz is the best in the survival genre your crazy. Plus what game is the "one" survival game to play?

For me - none - I played them all and have grown tired of zombie survival games, just done with them.

Its always the same thing:

Find stuff, build things, kill/avoid zombies/players.

No innovation.

There no RPG elements - no skills, no progression - which means it gets old to me in about a week.

SoE on one hand is working on EQNext - why not bring some of that tech and innovation into this?

Well since you dont have a better alternative, maybe this will be the one. How can you say this one will be the same old stuff. I also think finding stuff, building things and avoiding death are kind of staples in survival games. How can you be so sure there is no innovation, you seem to know everything about everything mmorpg.

• Originally posted by DMKano

No. Actually H1Z1 will be the first AAA zombie survival mmo. And the top of that other zombie survival games not actually an mmo. But H1Z1 will be an mmo with a huge map and massive amount of population like Planetside 2. On top of that H1Z1 got amazing features that no other zombie survival mmo got. All players on this forum just looking the genre and says it is a Dayz clone lame.... Well you know what? It is not... First go reddit and read what they are doing with this game then come here and judge... They got a lot of features that we always want. H1Z1 is not a classic zombie survival which all you do is killing other players. 

And about pve servers... Last time they actually said that they're thinking about it. They didn't said that there will be no pve servers.

Originally posted by Wyrdfell

No. Actually H1Z1 will be the first AAA zombie survival mmo. And the top of that other zombie survival games not actually an mmo. But H1Z1 will be an mmo with a huge map and massive amount of population like Planetside 2. On top of that H1Z1 got amazing features that no other zombie survival mmo got. All players on this forum just looking the genre and says it is a Dayz clone lame.... Well you know what? It is not... First go reddit and read what they are doing with this game then come here and judge... They got a lot of features that we always want. H1Z1 is not a classic zombie survival which all you do is killing other players. 

And about pve servers... Last time they actually said that they're thinking about it. They didn't said that there will be no pve servers.

imageI agree with you Wyrdfell, there will be other game modes(servers). I really think this MIGHT be a new step in the survival genre. I will not hold my breath, BUT this is a step in the right direction!!

• Mighty_PlatypusMighty_Platypus Member UncommonPosts: 101

They can add those things DMKano. I see you bash a lot of games on this site, a lot. Not sure if there is anything that will ever please you in this genre anymore. Anyways, I have thought of a few things to help keep this genre fresh.

- Add weight limits and inventory limits on characters. This helps make grouping with people a benefit, something this genre lacks. You want to build a house or fortify a city with walls? Group up, get a band of "friends" together to make this dream come true.

- Make PvE hard, zombies and wildlife galore. Packs of zombies are hard to kill alone, make the game extremely difficult for solo play, once again creating a bond between players, not players and their guns.

- Make each character unique and have something to bring to the "fight". Character creation should allow for you to control some aspects of your character. Want to be smart and able to craft things easily? There's a stat for that. Want to be fleet of foot, and stealthy? There's a stat for that. How about someone who can carry more than the average bear, guess what, a stat for that too. Granted there has to be offsetting penalties for each benefit. Because a game full of Chuck Norris' would just not be fun.

- Make getting supplies increasingly hard. If you build a camp or fortify a town, don't have items respawn there on a basis that is constant. Heavily traffic should = less loot.

All the basic ideas are in place, gunshots attract biters and people, but just like people banding together the, biters should as well. One zombie is easy, but 20 v 1, that could get hard real quick. The genre lacks the need to group together and make a "band of brothers" to fight with. I really like the idea of people turning after being bit without dying, and them turning period. Would be interesting to see what can happen when a band of zombies being controlled by players attacks a camp. Lastly, to everyone who is going to say they don't want to deal with stupid people, that is part of the game. You have to choose who you let into your "band" wisely, if someone makes a mistake, then everyone suffers sometimes. That is life, that is what happens when you make an MMO. People = stupid, not always, but you increase the risk every time you introduce a new head to a group. That is part of the fun, part of the experience.

Originally posted by afvibe

They can add those things DMKano. I see you bash a lot of games on this site, a lot. Not sure if there is anything that will ever please you in this genre anymore. Anyways, I have thought of a few things to help keep this genre fresh.

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558

For me - none - I played them all and have grown tired of zombie survival games, just done with them.

Find stuff, build things, kill/avoid zombies/players - stupidly shallow gameplay.

No innovation.

There no RPG elements - no skills, no progression, no depth of systems  - which means it gets old to me in about a week.

SoE on one hand is working on EQNext - why not bring some of that tech and innovation into this?

So, what you say goes. Thanks for this, I ll be sure to check your posts on any game from now on, before I buy it.

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by Storm_Cloud

It said release is now in 3-5 weeks... Last time it was 4-6 weeks which is what? 4-5 weeks ago?

So, with the extra time added to the ETA I predict there will be more time added and we'll be getting this at the time of SOE live in August, lol. They've already said they'll have the game there.

This is SOE we're talking about.  No one is getting anywhere close to the game until they've sold all the alpha access passes they think they can.

• Mighty_PlatypusMighty_Platypus Member UncommonPosts: 101
    Originally posted by afvibe

By genre I mean MMOs in general. Which is fine, but take it and go play Skyrim or Resident Evil or something.

Originally posted by reeereee
    Originally posted by Storm_Cloud

This is SOE we're talking about.  No one is getting anywhere close to the game until they've sold all the alpha access passes they think they can.

With the current model of mmorpgs, I think every company does that.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Find stuff, build things, kill/avoid zombies/players - stupidly shallow gameplay.

No innovation.

There no RPG elements - no skills, no progression, no depth of systems  - which means it gets old to me in about a week.

You realize this makes what you're saying even more ridiculous right? None of those games have even "officially" released... Yet H1Z1 is entering into a bloated genre. LAMO...

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Originally posted by Wyrdfell

No. Actually H1Z1 will be the first AAA zombie survival mmo.

No - it's a first zombie game made by a major studio. I see nothing AAA about it yet.

And the top of that other zombie survival games not actually an mmo.

Again I disagree - not DayZ standalone is a MMO. H1Z1 will have private server too which are going to be exclusive for those who buy tokens to play on them - those servers might only have a few 100 players - so very much like DayZ SA. So private H1Z1 servers are not an MMO because they might have fewer players?

But H1Z1 will be an mmo with a huge map and massive amount of population like Planetside 2. On top of that H1Z1 got amazing features that no other zombie survival mmo got.

Like - what amazing features? except the support of more players per world?

All players on this forum just looking the genre and says it is a Dayz clone lame.... Well you know what? It is not... First go reddit and read what they are doing with this game then come here and judge... They got a lot of features that we always want. H1Z1 is not a classic zombie survival which all you do is killing other players. 

It's not a Day-Z clone - it's a zombie survival game clone - they're all 90% the same WHY? Why can't we have a MMORPG that is a zombie survival game - with classes, and roles and dungeons and skills? I tell you why SoE is not doing it - because they don't have a 100mil budget and 4 years - they're doing this quick/cheap H1Z1 game that's probably not going to break even 10mil budget - because it's not bringing anything new and amazing to the zombie genre. It's *incrimentally* better than the rest, not any kind of a revolutionary game.

Why is a zombie survival game always SO FOCUSED on a very simple aspect - gather/craft kill/avoid zombies/players? Why? I mean there is so much potential for some real RPG depth - but nope.

Again *thinking about it* - that means not really want to do it - because coding NPCs to be intricate costs more money and more dev time - and they want to get this out ASAP - which is the main driving force here - it's not "lets get a really cool deep game that will revolutionize the genre". The driving force is - get it out fast and cheap

Again - my 2c

You do know when you say your "2 cents" that it still means it is only worth just 2 pennies right?

Originally posted by Distopia

No innovation.

You realize this makes what you're saying even more ridiculous right? None of those games have even "officially" released... Yet H1Z1 is entering into a bloated genre. LAMO...

I know right image