Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Black Gold Online: Hands-On with Snail's Steampunk MMO

BMunchausenBMunchausen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff Posts: 400

Upon hearing about Black Gold Online, I immediately thought of the Syfy channel show “Opposite Worlds”. The show's premise pits two teams of people against one another—one team equipped with futuristic technology and the other with the trappings of the past. Black Gold Online has a similar premise. On a world split by a giant mountain range, two distinct cultures evolve: a Steampunk society that values technology and a tribal society that values sacred magic. Inevitably, they clash. It's an intriguing idea that serves as the foundation for what could be a very compelling PvP-oriented MMO.

Read more of Neilie Johnson's preview of Black Gold Online.

Comments

• syltmackasyltmacka Member UncommonPosts: 404

yea seems intresting, hopefully they havent "asianated" the game to much.

is that even a word?

• mikunimanmikuniman Member UncommonPosts: 375
    Originally posted by syltmacka

yea seems intresting, hopefully they havent "asianated" the game to much.

is that even a word?

With that train of thought it would be like ordering Korean food  then asking them to make it taste like a hamburger. It is from another country you know.

Ran decent in alpha, mobs could have used some more life. I'm guessing tons of improvements for beta. Nice graphics and races, pretty cool on the magic side.

Some dynamic events and pvp sounds interesting, nice review thanks for the info.

• Fenrir767Fenrir767 Member Posts: 595
    Sounds interesting just hope it's not overly PVP centric.
  • epoqepoq Member UncommonPosts: 394
    Game is a complete pay2win scheme though. 
  • Cramit845Cramit845 Member UncommonPosts: 395

Well this one is now on my radar, seems very cool.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by Fenrir767
    Sounds interesting just hope it's not overly PVP centric.

"open-world PvP, Slaughter Mode, Chambers of Greed, Personal Carrier battles, Outbreaks and Energy Wells—indicate it could be a PvP-er's paradise"

• CypruskaCypruska Member UncommonPosts: 45
    If it's F2P and F2Download... my god... this will be the best game of the year.
  • DeluxeRoDeluxeRo Member UncommonPosts: 4
    any Beta Access Key plz ?

a

• Jaychi72Jaychi72 Member UncommonPosts: 70
  • kinartkinart Member UncommonPosts: 127
    Gief codes plx
  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    This site still has thousands of beta codes available. Scroll down on the main page and you'll see them. I'd post a link but for some reason this site never lets me paste links, ever.

• GilnidorGilnidor Member UncommonPosts: 115
    Looking forward to Thursday for sure :)

• Keldor837Keldor837 Member UncommonPosts: 263

This is only meant to hold me over till Arche Age to be honest. However, if the pay to unlock gear system is balanced and not severely limiting I'll play this in a more serious manner.

For example, if this is true for any and all gear at any level then I'll pass. If this only applies to say, gear dropped from one of those events or special areas. Then that's totally understandable. Also, if they don't allow you to see the gear as well as the stats prior to unlocking it. Then I will once again pass. I don't intend on paying money to unlock a gear drop without knowing what it is. Also, if they can keep this to being utilized primarily at end-game or just for rare drops while leveling. Then I can see this working and people not getting angry or frustrated. Otherwise I forsee an elite few dumping cash into this and becoming elite in gear as they level. While the majority boycott's the whole system and plays using crappy gear until late game.

• DauntisDauntis Member UncommonPosts: 600

I can't get the client to load, anyone else having the same problem? Or can we not load the client before Thursday?

Help support an artist and gamer who has lost his tools to create and play: http://www.gofundme.com/u63nzcgk

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Same here i click download and nothing is being downloaded

No idea whats wrong here....

• NecroneusNecroneus Member UncommonPosts: 52

"1. The system, Black Gold Time, will automatically (every hour) or manually “lock” the loot players get within a time frame.

2. After a few hours, some items will be “locked”, while others will enter player’s inventory.

3. The basic items and less valuable one will be spared from this “lock” system.

4. Players will then purchase gold using cash, and selecting which time-slot’s items to claim. Time-slots can be deleted manually.

5. There is a dice roll option, and if successful, players may get a discount to claim the items. There is a chance all items in the time-slot can be claimed for free as well.

6. Snail Game claims that this is to minimize the number of “useless drops” players need to handle."

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910
    Enable popups and it should work lol :P
  • mrBurns210mrBurns210 Member Posts: 114
    Looks like it would be an amazing game ( love steampunk). Too bad it is done by snail. After my experience with Snail USA playing AoW ( love Wuxia ),  I will avoid this like the plague. Drives me nuts because here are 2 games ( one for sure and the other looks very promising ) that has everything I like, it is just that actual company that delivered the products that keeps me away.
  • KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    Originally posted by epoq
    Game is a complete pay2win scheme though. 

Unfortaunately it does seem that they've figured out a way to not only put all the good gear behind a paywall but also a lottery system.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    I stopped reading at pvp-oriented MMO, but the pictures are pretty.
  • quseioquseio Member UncommonPosts: 234
    this sounds very interesting but im concerned its too pvp  oriented and pay to win . some abosultely no pvp servers would be nice option.i just dont want some dbag that doesnt care pking me randomly thats way higher lvl
  • kinartkinart Member UncommonPosts: 127

Nice thx for code. It would be nice if they were offering a torrent of that 10GB client, or a downloader - 10GB in one go isn't an easy thing to download. I 'll try it tomorrow.

• inmysightsinmysights Member UncommonPosts: 441
    The downloader is crap, you have to try about 5-10 times before it actually works, make sure it 10gig download or it will fail to install. I know it sucks but there is no other way. I hope people are complaing to them about it.

I am so good, I backstabbed your face!

• versulasversulas Member UncommonPosts: 288

It's too bad the most interesting class they showed, the Occultist, is gender-locked =( 

What is this, 1999?

Ah well, I'll probably give it a try anyway.