Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Rift Dying ?

Comments

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Originally posted by syriinx
    Originally posted by MMOGamer71
    Originally posted by crasset15
    I hope so. There's too many wow clones already.

WoW is a clone of D&D which is a clone of the J.R.R Tolkien books, nothing original about Orcs at war with Humans.

BTW Rift is probably doing fine.

Edit:

Spelling

seriously?  J.R.R.Tolkien?

Stop being deliberately obtuse.

Gandalf didnt put abilities in three talent trees, and frodo didnt grind tiered raids for tokens for gear.  Sam didnt perform gather/click/no fail combine/guaranteed skill up crafting.  Gimli didnt do the same dungeon at level 15 and at max level.  The war between the forces of middle earth and mordor didnt take place in instanced mini games.  Legolas didnt use a 5 combo point system for stealth builds.  And Aragorn didnt see the world through that familiar looking overused UI.

Neither did anyone in EQ for that matter.

Funny post, would read again.

On topic, I'm really surprised it lived this long.  It launched at a great time when it could have succeeded.  Everyone I knew was hyped about it until we actually got into the beta.  Then we just laughed as we realized the era of the WoW clone was in full effect.  Sure there was some cool new features, most even liked the way they did skill trees better than previous games, but little about RIft as a whole lent itself to innovation.  Another casual game that holds your hand rather than a virtual world that captures your imagination.

Can't say whether its completely dead, but with a large influx of big MMOs coming out in 2014, I think by the end of the year the nail will be in the coffin.

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Originally posted by Gadareth

Lets be honest it started dying as soon as it went F2P. F2P is basically the grim reaper of mmorpgs when it loams its time to read the last rites.

no, this isnt being honest.

It started 'dying' from day 1.  most of the player loss happened first year.  It was stabilizing around SL launch and F2P cemented that stability.

the word that most aptly describes Rift's population is stable.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by davc123
    Originally posted by crasset15
    I hope so. There's too many wow clones already.

btw Rift is better then wow

answering a troll post with another troll post. Not sure if take the OP serious now.

On a side note,  Rift is failing because Trion keeps adding stuff without fixing existing problems. That is a highway to fail.

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911
    I kinda liked it, the raiding and dungeons are excellent and progression can be pretty fast, it's one of the few games I would actually recommend. But like ESO it lacks any real depth and character which is why the game is so easy to overlook and easy to get bored of, it just doesn't stand out... oh and voice overs in events are truly dreadful and annoying.
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Sold my account but yeah maybe should have kept it but won't be going back again. It seemed quiet when I was on it about 6 months ago.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    Rift doing fine, there tons people around level 60+, if your leveling not going see tons of people, as due to most player base are at 60, doing zone event, pvp dungeons, raiding. and crafting. around peak time, sever get little high, and laggy with amount people are on.
  • NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671
    My biggest complaint about Rift is that the game runs sooooooo poorly.  There's no reason I should get better FPS in ESO on maxed settings than a game that's 1-2 yrs old.

Steam: Neph

Originally posted by Nephaerius
    My biggest complaint about Rift is that the game runs sooooooo poorly.  There's no reason I should get better FPS in ESO on maxed settings than a game that's 1-2 yrs old.

Do Agree with you, on rift runs so poorly, but can't add Eso it's build around today pc, and it took them tons of a crap ton of money to build it, the rift engine is little older then the game build around pc back then when there was getting in to dual core, and 32 bit windows when the main, But people still hoping they'll get that fix befor 3.0 but I know is not a magic wand everything is better, but for them to start a new engine, will cost them tons and tons of money more they make, with out going pay to win.

• SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360
    Originally posted by zaberfangx

Do Agree with you, on rift runs so poorly, but can't add Eso it's build around today pc, and it took them tons of a crap ton of money to build it, the rift engine is little older then the game build around pc back then when there was getting in to dual core, and 32 bit windows when the main, But people still hoping they'll get that fix befor 3.0 but I know is not a magic wand everything is better, but for them to start a new engine, will cost them tons and tons of money more they make, with out going pay to win.

Huh?

Rift was out in 2011!

WoW was out in 2004!

There is no reason Rift should perform poorly other than Trions sole fault.

If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640

Not real sure what is going on with Trion lately. 

Kinda feels like it is a totally different company, the servers for both Rift and Defiance have been running like crap.

The support staff are the same EXACT support staff perfect world uses. 

The updates do not show the same quality or care they use to.

The new skins for new mounts and what not are feeling lazy and cheap.

It's like Hartsman came in and said ok new business model,  we no longer care about making our own games or supporting our customers. Now we are going to be just like SOE and lease/publish a bunch of crap games.

Sad how he has infected what was once the best company in the industry. 

Oh and another thing that Unicorn mount is insulting, they just took the horse model and stuck a spike in its forehead.

They could at least build a new model considering what they charge for mounts on the item mall, cheap bastards.

• RaventreeRaventree Member Posts: 456
    These forums are saturated with haters and people who spend all day complaining and attacking any and every game out there.  If you don't join the bashing bandwagon you are called a fanboy and an attempt is made to dismiss your opinion.  That being said, it is not surprising to see people rubbing their hands together at the thought of any given MMO dying so that they can proclaim that it was bound to happen because the game was not designed for them and them alone.  Back to the point, I play Rift every day and the population seems very healthy, although I don't feel that it has ever received the popularity it deserves, mostly due to the underwhelming first impression it gives.  It truly seems to me to be the best of the wow clones though and it offers a highly polished version of every feature you could ask for.  The F2P model is the best I have ever seen and everything available seems like a bonus as opposed to SWToR, which feels as though the devs are bitter that they had to go F2P and are going to continue to beat you over the head and hold features hostage until you subscribe.  With Rift, I buy stuff here and there, maybe sub for a few months, play for free for a few months, whatever.  There is just no pressure to do anything but enjoy yourself.

Currently playing:
    Rift
    Played:
    SWToR, Aion,EQ, Dark Age of Camelot
    World of Warcraft, AoC

• amber-ramber-r Member Posts: 323

People don't seem to understand why games go free to play.

A game as p2p hjas very limited means of financing itself, as a f2p title you don't need anywhere near as many players and you don't have to fulfil demands for content at anything like the same rate either.

Is Rift dying, as in shut down? no.  These games are easy to make profitable under f2p.

Will it retain such a great f2p system, will content come as fast, will server quality be as high?  Well that's another thing.

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

faeblight is always hoppin.

i dont think rift is dying, but i will say that their next expansion will be a tipping point one way or the other for the game.

if you are a theorycrafter, then rift is the clear choice of game for you in this day and age of zero customization in WoW.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

Originally posted by Seelinnikoi

Huh?

Rift was out in 2011!

WoW was out in 2004!

Yes it's is trions sole fault not updating getting the game to run as good it is, when they had the time and money to do so, we can't forget one thing about wow, it had less details polygon so less impart to the cpu so the less time they needed to be worked on. but wow engine is not the best out there, if they had more details polygon in to game, start seeing fps drop just close to what rift is doing, but there art style as they can make anything look little good with less needed to add more polygons.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by amber-r

People don't seem to understand why games go free to play.

A game as p2p hjas very limited means of financing itself, as a f2p title you don't need anywhere near as many players and you don't have to fulfil demands for content at anything like the same rate either.

Is Rift dying, as in shut down? no.  These games are easy to make profitable under f2p.

Will it retain such a great f2p system, will content come as fast, will server quality be as high?  Well that's another thing.

You don't need as many players if your current players spend more than 15 bucks a month in the cashshop as average, yes.

The game still need to get in about the same amount of cash or it will have to cut corners no matter the model.

Is Rift dying? No, I kinda doubt it at least at the moment but the competition for the players are tough right now so it have lost some players. It might be that they need to fire some employees though, but it are still pretty hard economical times right now and that affect all entertainment companies.

Originally posted by Seelinnikoi

Huh?

Rift was out in 2011!

WoW was out in 2004!

Yes it's is trions sole fault not updating getting the game to run as good it is, when they had the time and money to do so, we can't forget one thing about wow, it had less details polygon so less impart to the cpu so the less time they needed to be worked on. but wow engine is not the best out there, if they had more details polygon in to game, start seeing fps drop just close to what rift is doing, but there art style as they can make anything look little good with less needed to add more polygons.

It have a lot to do with how good the engine is programmed as well. Guildwars 2 gives me better FPS than Rift which performs better for me than EQ2 (which is as old as Wow).

That Wow outperform Rift is indeed not that strange, less polygons, lower texture but also better coded engine (for it's time at least).

But then again, versus TOR I get better FPS from Rift, a never game.

It is clear that RIFT could be better optimized but the game is hardly one of the worst on the market. 

• sirphobossirphobos Member UncommonPosts: 620
    It's a shame in my eyes that Rift didn't really take off. It is, in my eyes, the best WoW style MMO there is. Unfortunately, when it came out it could have used just a little more polish, mostly with the pvp and open world stuff. The overworld was small and uninspired in my eyes. However the class system I loved and the 5 man dungeons were a blast (and very challenging) as were the 10 and 20 man raids. Unfortunately, there just wasn't enough there to keep most people playing and they lost most of their huge player base.
    Originally posted by sirphobos
    It's a shame in my eyes that Rift didn't really take off. It is, in my eyes, the best WoW style MMO there is. Unfortunately, when it came out it could have used just a little more polish, mostly with the pvp and open world stuff. The overworld was small and uninspired in my eyes. However the class system I loved and the 5 man dungeons were a blast (and very challenging) as were the 10 and 20 man raids. Unfortunately, there just wasn't enough there to keep most people playing and they lost most of their huge player base.

Agreed, the game had some good ideas but for me I think it was a mix between the rifts themselves feeling to similar to eachother (and spawning in the same place) together with some rather uninspiring quests that made me tire of it.

I think that if they made the open world more fun and used the rifts better the game would have done better. It did do well the first year though and got in more than the cost of making the game that year so I wouldn't call it a failure.

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Originally posted by Loke666

Agreed, the game had some good ideas but for me I think it was a mix between the rifts themselves feeling to similar to eachother (and spawning in the same place) together with some rather uninspiring quests that made me tire of it.

I think that if they made the open world more fun and used the rifts better the game would have done better. It did do well the first year though and got in more than the cost of making the game that year so I wouldn't call it a failure.

The main issue, IMO, is there is no attachment to your character.  This is for a number of reasons, the most important of which is the lackluster setting.  For starters, the race selection is awful.  Its an original IP, you can do better than men, elves, dwarves, and blueish men.  None of which have any real personality.  The presentation of story and lore is quite bad as well.  Telara is just not engaging.  

• alturicalturic Member Posts: 3

You know, if Rift had the graphics of WoW (I know I know people hate WoW's graphics) it would be hands-down the best (IMO it already is and I don't even play it currently) MMORPG with raiding out there.

I know opinions are just that, but for a hardcore raider who's played WoW since beta, and Ultimate Online since beta before that there hasn't be a single game to come out since WoW that has management to have me login for more than 10 minutes before saying "ugh", except for Rift.

Literally the only thing that kept me from playing past 50, before the expansion, and running experts (I think that was the heroic dungeons equivalent in WoW?) was how iirc it would take me something like a month before even able to tank entry-level raid bosses in the last tier (when I started Rift) which just wasn't interesting to me. I'm not saying I expect it to be as easy as WoWs system where you could be tanking raids the same day you hit max level, but that was a little rough even for me.

I still get the urge to play Rift, as much as I tend to dump games that go F2P but unsure if it's worth investing time into it at this point. :P

Finally, I think it's actually a hard sell for someone to look at any game nowadays an think about investing a ton of time in it just to have it flop after a few months. :-/

• samsweetsamsweet Member Posts: 24
    I forgot Rift, Aion, and TERA were seperate games.
  • doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by Aroukos
    As long they dont fix client performance the game will dying. I m not saying that if the performance was better RIFT would have millions of players, but i m sure it would have many times more than the current player base.

Thats my 1 gripe with Rift......its graphics, while ok, are nowhere near the level of AoC or TSW, yet its performance is terrible. Its nowhere near as bad as Eq 2, but when your FPS drops by 5-7 just by joining a group even if they are near you or not, and another 5 fps are dropped just by engaging in combat (no mater how much is appearing on screen), you know you have a very poorly optomized engine. Rift is the only game where I get 55 FPS on max setting standing next to 4 other players, get invited to their group with absolutly nothing changing on screen except the group UI, and my FPS drops to 47 fps.....just standing there. I will tolerate sub 60FPS if the graphics warrent it, but Rift's don't.

The game itself is really good and prob the best alternative to WoW (until Wildstar releases), its just too bad that its engine isnt that great.

• alturicalturic Member Posts: 3
    Originally posted by samsweet

As much as I didn't like Aion, to even put any game in the same sentence as TERA... ouch.

• fodell54fodell54 Member RarePosts: 865
    Originally posted by alturic
    Originally posted by samsweet

As much as I didn't like Aion, to even put any game in the same sentence as TERA... ouch.

All three oh those games aren't that bad Mr. three post.

• OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517
    i enjoyed my time playing this game, spent a lot on it. Just never made it to end game and quit lol.
    When all is said and done, more is always said than done.