Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wondering about landgrabbing.

LiquidElectronLiquidElectron Member UncommonPosts: 18

I haven't bitten on the Alpha as of yet, but I was planning on playing when the game goes live as a Sub.  The thing I wonder about is the land for farms and houses, not very clear on how this works. 

Is everything non-instanced? Including house plots/farm plots?  If so, I'm wondering how the people that Sub on day one will have any space to claim thanks to the 4 day headstart that people are getting from buying-in early.  If I can't have space for a farm/house/what have you, then no thanks, really.

Wondering if a kind soul could shed light on how this works...the Twitch streamers I've asked so far can only talk about what they're drinking and fishing boats, it seems.

Comments

• LiquidElectronLiquidElectron Member UncommonPosts: 18
    Free to play players can't own land.  Someone else that knows the mechanics and a bit of Trion's sub model please?
  • Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

Originally posted by LiquidElectron
    Free to play players can't own land.  Someone else that knows the mechanics and a bit of Trion's sub model please?

Silly OP. Forums are for posting ones thoughts without any expectation of knowledge about said subject. Like walking down the street and randomly responding to a stranger asking another stranger a question. :)

• JabasJabas Member UncommonPosts: 1,249

AA is P2P if you want to acess all features in-game (housing, farms and max labor points)

The zones to place house and farms are plenty and huge. Might not take it the so called "best spots" but im sure it will plenty of free locations.

Im playing in ru, in a server with high population and theres allways a place, big farms are a little more dificult but still possible, place one las week.

• FoobarxFoobarx Member Posts: 451
    Anyone can farm plots of land, no subscription needed.  Paying customers can reserve a limited plot of land.  Again, no subscription is needed to play the game.  Cash for perks, game is free.
  • GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    Originally posted by Foobarx
    Anyone can farm plots of land, no subscription needed.  Paying customers can reserve a limited plot of land.  Again, no subscription is needed to play the game.  Cash for perks, game is free.

A sub is required to claim land for houses and farms.

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• sinnerbylawsinnerbylaw Member Posts: 11
    Originally posted by LiquidElectron

I haven't bitten on the Alpha as of yet, but I was planning on playing when the game goes live as a Sub.  The thing I wonder about is the land for farms and houses, not very clear on how this works. 

Is everything non-instanced? Including house plots/farm plots?  If so, I'm wondering how the people that Sub on day one will have any space to claim thanks to the 4 day headstart that people are getting from buying-in early.  If I can't have space for a farm/house/what have you, then no thanks, really.

Wondering if a kind soul could shed light on how this works...the Twitch streamers I've asked so far can only talk about what they're drinking and fishing boats, it seems.

The thing that will keep people from hoarding up a lot of land is the tax system. The tax system works by putting a tax on your land if you want to keep it safe i.e no one but you or someone you let harvest it. The tax system works by making it next to impossible to own large areas because no one has enough money to keep up with taxes which are weekly. You pay a weekly amount to keep the protection around your farm and house. If you default on the payment then you will be given a week to come up with the money. If you do not come up with the money within that week. The land can be harvested by anyone and everyone. Don't hold me to this but the taxes go crazy after you second house. Something like three or more times what you would pay for two house. I hope that answered your question

also yes houses and farms are non instance. If you do not have the ability to keep the protection around your farm. You can always try to hide your farm area by trying to get to farm area that you believe no one can find and start farming. I will have fun trying to find those areas :)

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654
    [mod edit]

It's not free to play, it's a game that has multiple subscription levels, one of those levels happens to be the basic 'free' membership.  However, if you pay 15 bucks a month you get the full 'premium' membership that allows you total access.

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

It is non-instanced and the amount of land is limited but every zone has several areas that are fairly big. You will need to have patron status to claim a plot for your house or a farm. This is so people don't make a bunch of free accounts and use them to reserve plots with small farms which are not too expensive on the taxes. Part of the problem however is that people can place plots at odd intervals so it can be difficult to find a place to put a large farm after not too long.

Right now, just two weeks into alpha there are really no spot to place a large farm or a small house in a safe zone and few people who want to concentrate on crafting and pve are willing to place claims in zones that go pvp on a regular basis.  So really not just the prime locations will be gone but all locations that don't force you into pvp will be gone probably within a week or two of launch. It is also very difficult to get two plots together, or even reasonably near each other for say a house and a farm plot.

Fortunately each account can only have so many plots before taxes get prohibitive. Two plots with no increase or three with only a mild increase. Four plots starts to get very expensive and five is effectively unworkable. And this is across all your alts. I expect to see a lot of land expire due to taxes between two and four weeks so that might be a good time to see if good spots can be sniped.

All die, so die well.

• WraithstarWraithstar Member UncommonPosts: 70
    I currently play alpha as a level 50 primeval (archer/shadow/aura) and there is a ton of land. i wouldn`t worry about headstart grabbing all the land. the only perk the headstart people get towards land. is grabbing the coolest spots. like islands and such. Don`t worry about not being able to build your house.
  • LiquidElectronLiquidElectron Member UncommonPosts: 18
    Originally posted by VikingGamer

It is non-instanced and the amount of land is limited but every zone has several areas that are fairly big. You will need to have patron status to claim a plot for your house or a farm. This is so people don't make a bunch of free accounts and use them to reserve plots with small farms which are not too expensive on the taxes. Part of the problem however is that people can place plots at odd intervals so it can be difficult to find a place to put a large farm after not too long.

Right now, just two weeks into alpha there are really no spot to place a large farm or a small house in a safe zone and few people who want to concentrate on crafting and pve are willing to place claims in zones that go pvp on a regular basis.  So really not just the prime locations will be gone but all locations that don't force you into pvp will be gone probably within a week or two of launch. It is also very difficult to get two plots together, or even reasonably near each other for say a house and a farm plot.

Fortunately each account can only have so many plots before taxes get prohibitive. Two plots with no increase or three with only a mild increase. Four plots starts to get very expensive and five is effectively unworkable. And this is across all your alts. I expect to see a lot of land expire due to taxes between two and four weeks so that might be a good time to see if good spots can be sniped.

Thank you for the actual answer.  The tax idea is good, the patron status is fine, but I will still worry anyway.  Thanks again.  And to everyone else that posted a reasonable reply.

• DeathmachinePTDeathmachinePT Member UncommonPosts: 119

Yes there will be massive landgrab when it goes live, guilds are already testing and planning the fastest ways to do so, people want the locations near starting zones so they can safely collect their production.

Despite the large number of land where you can build it's not enough for the player population, I'm not sure if there is instance housing but I haven't found any.(just to put in perspective in Russia there are 23 servers and in alpha I found places with free land 24h later they are full)

There is land reserve for only farms/gardens/houses or mix of them, in some cases there are places that these are destroyed after 7 days therefore there will be always space for some at least for a limited time.

You also pay a weekly tax which might help with non active accounts.

ASROCK Z97 E-ITX 
    Intel i7 4790k @ 4.5Ghz+KrakenX41
    Gigabyte 1070 8GB Mini OC
    16GB Crucial 1333mhz 1.3V
    SWG 8 Year Vet, WW2OL 8 Year Vet.
    Aka Darksparrow Rancorheart(tempest/farstar), Fxmkorp

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    So the benefits of having a house is farming and an extra bindspot?
  • MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Are there any islands for housing and farming in safe zones ?
    I expect myself to go nuts on pvp / sieges and all in between to drink blood !!, but my lady cant wait to build our house and farm / hurd cattle ! oO wtf....... does this sound silly :P ?

Anyway i would love to know if she can be on a safe spot island or are those only in full pvp zones :) ?

• CelliealiaCelliealia Member UncommonPosts: 8
    Originally posted by Mothanos

I expect myself to go nuts on pvp / sieges and all in between to drink blood !!, but my lady cant wait to build our house and farm / hurd cattle ! oO wtf....... does this sound silly :P ?

Anyway i would love to know if she can be on a safe spot island or are those only in full pvp zones :) ?

All farms are entirely safe the moment they are built, no matter where they are (no one can steal your produce/animals etc., at least not on the starting continents, I don't know about Auroria). It is better to construct them in the non-pvp areas (the ones that are never in a state of war) because then you do not have to maybe be sometimes killed by your own faction. I have one farm in a war zone and I never got killed and mostly everybody is friendly but I have no idea how long that will last. Do not forget that there are 3 types of climates (arid/temperate/tropical) which count for how fast crops/trees/animals mature.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Originally posted by Celliealia
    Originally posted by Mothanos Are there any islands for housing and farming in safe zones ? I expect myself to go nuts on pvp / sieges and all in between to drink blood !!, but my lady cant wait to build our house and farm / hurd cattle ! oO wtf....... does this sound silly :P ? Anyway i would love to know if she can be on a safe spot island or are those only in full pvp zones :) ?  
    All farms are entirely safe the moment they are built, no matter where they are (no one can steal your produce/animals etc., at least not on the starting continents, I don't know about Auroria). It is better to construct them in the non-pvp areas (the ones that are never in a state of war) because then you do not have to maybe be sometimes killed by your own faction. I have one farm in a war zone and I never got killed and mostly everybody is friendly but I have no idea how long that will last. Do not forget that there are 3 types of climates (arid/temperate/tropical) which count for how fast crops/trees/animals mature.

Many thanks Celliealia o/

• andre369andre369 Member UncommonPosts: 970
    Originally posted by Mothanos

Most areas are marked on the map, not sure if any on these are on an actual island. However there are lots of small islands which you can build on. These islands are not even on the map, so you will have to explore to find them. 

Have yet to see an island in a safe zone that you can build on. If there is it will be full within days. 

+ Building in a PvP area might be smart if you want you'r house, small farm and large farm in the same spot. Going to have to experiment with alts and see how fast I can get a small farm. You can prevent people from building in quite a large area with, lets say four small farms.

aafarm

Ofc, it's not as easy as the picture shows since the slots are not that small and from each direction you will have people placing farms right next to you or trying to do the same thing themselves. 

If I get 3 slots next to each other I'll be happy.

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350
    Originally posted by Mardukk
    So the benefits of having a house is farming and an extra bindspot?

There are large and small farms specifically for farming with the large being the size of 4 smalls and a small house being the same size as a large farm. A house allows for a lot of things actually. The bindspot. You can place indoor crafting stations. You can place specific items that will increase your crafting skill. Like for tailoring, besides placing your tailoring station you can also make a sewing table that will increase your tailoring skill by 500 or 1000. You can also place a bed that can be used once a day to regain some of your labor points. There is just a little bit of space on the outside to plant a handful of trees but not many. The exception is a farm house which is a small sized house on a medium house plot so it has a good amount of space around the house to farm in.

Also if you build in a pvp zone you can go into your house and close the doors and windows to escape an assault. An attack requires line of sight so you do need to close windows. You can also put trade packs down on your property and they will be protected from theft for several days. Oh and a house can have to storage chests inside. And those are just the things that I know about off hand.

All die, so die well.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    Do you buy these plots with in game money ? How does it work exactly and if you start at the headstart how  much time would you need to own one? It looks to me like the early bird gets the worm and people joining 6 months down the road would not be able to get a big plot on a safe zone and might have to build on the contested area. If you build on the contested area can your house or farm be ransacked or destroyed ?
    Chamber of Chains
  • dandurindandurin Member UncommonPosts: 498
    Originally posted by cheyane
    ... If you build on the contested area can your house or farm be ransacked or destroyed ?

No, it's safe.  But getting back to your farm might not always be....

• ijksijks Member Posts: 4

Free to play players can join someone's guild or family to share a house with them. I have a couple new guys who just started who joined our guild and can't find a place to farm. So I created a family and invite them to it. So they can use my farms, houses, etc. In return, we split the tax, and we also made a strategy to split what to get for the house. For example, I get the end game crafting stations, while they get things like storage chests, etc.

Since there are 4 people sharing my house/farms, we are able to upgrade our stuff much faster since it's not just one person farming resources, it's 4 people.

There will be many families once the game goes live, because playing this game solo takes a while.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    I am really hoping when I get the game I can get a farm on the safer zone. Kind of worried about this aspect.