Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is Wildstar seem to be getting less negativity then ESO?

Tutu2Tutu2 Member UncommonPosts: 572

ESO is far from perfect, but its kind of sad it gets severely bashed while Wildstar is put on a pedestal and has so much hype. Been playing the Beta now for 10 or so hours...don't really understand why this game is considered better by so many people. I will not bash the art style, because that is truly preference and they did quite nicely with the style they went for, but gameplay wise...it just isn't anything special. Questing is very, very bland. You don't care about characters or what is going on and it seems to me they went for as little dialogue as possible. 

The tutorial is god-awful dull, but of course you can't really judge an MMORPG properly by its tutorial, so I pushed into the main content. I got to Nexus and I still...I still don't understand what's so fun about it. Played a Granok Medic and I wanted to fall asleep. I watched my partner play an Aurin Stalker and played around with it a little, still not fun. The combat is not horrible, but its still an endless mindless hotkey bash. Carbine need to do a much, much better job with a more engaging first impression and with its first few hours, I wanted to fall asleep with this game. I'm sure its group content is more fun, from what I hear.  I'm going to play more so I don't feel like I judged this game too quickly but so far its underwhelming.

Comments

• KrimzinKrimzin Member UncommonPosts: 687

In the end both games will survive.

ESO is a niche game with good graphics and average game play.

Wildstar is casting a wide net to try the mass appeal route.

Average graphics and good game play.

Doesn't matter what any one thinks of either as long as they make enough money to keep the lights on.

Just because I'm a gamer doesn't mean I drive a Honda.
    Best Duo Ever

Lets see your Battle Stations /r/battlestations
    Battle Station 
  • RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029
    just wait if ESO got a lot of flack and its not bad wildstar is going the feel it mush worse.
  • AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Krimzin

In the end both games will survive.

ESO is a niche game with good graphics and average game play.

Wildstar is casting a wide net to try the mass appeal route.

Average graphics and good game play.

Doesn't matter what any one thinks of either as long as they make enough money to keep the lights on.

I totally agree. All games eventually just turn into a niche games with the hardcore fans sticking around. A good example is GW2. It took a big hit from many folks here on this site and it is still running strong with it's loyal followers. I venture to say it has even increased in players the last few months. ESO and WS will do the same I suspect. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911
    Originally posted by Tutu2

ESO is far from perfect, but its kind of sad it gets severely bashed while Wildstar is put on a pedestal and has so much hype. Been playing the Beta now for 10 or so hours...I truly do not understand why this game is considered better by so many people. I will not bash the art style, because that is truly preference and they did well with the style they went for, but gameplay wise...it just isn't anything special. Questing is very, very bland. You don't care about characters or what is going on and it seems to me they went for as little dialogue as possible.

The tutorial is god-awful dull, but of course you can't really judge an MMORPG properly by its tutorial, so I pushed into the main content. I got to Nexus and I still...I still don't understand what's so fun about it. Played a Granok Medic and I wanted to fall asleep. I watched my partner play an Aurin Stalker and played around with it a little, still not fun. The combat is not horrible, but its still an endless mindless hotkey bash. Carbine need to do a much, much better job with a more engaging first impression and with its first few hours, I wanted to fall asleep with this game. I'm sure its group content is more fun.  I'm going to play more so I don't feel like I judged this game too quickly but so far its underwhelming.

Wildstar simply doesn't have the IP that ESO. The Elder Scrolls has a long history and a huge following. Wildstar doesn't really have either of those.

For a big brand like the Elder Scrolls, there are certain levels of expectations that people have that wouldn't exist if it was called something else. When the fans of the IP feel the game has come up short or doesn't represent the "vision" of the IP, they take offense because they have invested in it on an almost personal level. It's kinda like being a fan of a football team that has decided to move cities because there are more potential fans there.

• drakaenadrakaena Member UncommonPosts: 506
    Many more gamers are emotionally invested in the elder scrolls franchise. Its a natural human emotion to lash out when done wrong by something you care about. When WS sucks its just a big meh "just another stale MMO".
  • PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Well for one, ESO has serious problems with it, being quiet buggy and its game design called into question quite a lot. Second, its a TES game, so its put up against critically acclaimed games and can't deliver the same greatness the games had to them. An established series is much easier to garner hate. Even if they were about even with their issues (which they aren't, unless they screw up after Beta) ESO will end up standing out for whats wrong with it far more since it is from a  popular series. 

Second..... um... Wildstar isn't perfect but... are you serious? ESO (at least comparing betas) had vast amounts of problems with it.  Combat is quite fun, specially if you actually get somewhere in the game were telegraphs NEED to be dodged. Some classes unfortunately I feel lack some depth to them, but over-all theres a lot of complexity it builds up to. I can admit that I feel start wise its 'eh' and it really should show more of its challenges and events and really make the experience for a bit more lively. It needs work done before launch, but its in a LOT better shape then ESO was in its Betas.

Personally for me, it blew me away with how it played out, but then again I'm not the type of person who has 'dried out' of the old MMo scene which the game does use perhaps a little bit much of some of the elements within it, particularly early on. Its combat system in feel is one of the most refined and its quiet difficult 15+, at least compared to the joke you see in most MMo, and screw ups become more and more dire as its much more likely you will die from them. I do think they are trying hard to 'throttle' the experience a bit too much, particularly since getting to 18+ things get tricky and the dungeon will destroy people, but I can see somewhat why they hand hold a lot to try easing people in. 

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    Could it simply be that -and I'm just guessing here- people who frequent this site think Wildstar is a better game than ESO?

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• SeariasSearias Member UncommonPosts: 743
    To me it seems that not many people care enough about Wildstar to even bother talk down about it. Oh well, i still have pre-ordered and will play until first 30 days end. I am really waiting for Camelot Unchained alpha to start later this year, so I am messing around with these "new" MMOs.

<InvalidTag type="text/javascript" src="http://www.gamebreaker.tv/cce/e.js"></script><div class="cce_pane" content-slug="which-world-of-warcraft-villain-are-you" ctype="quiz" d="http://www.gamebreaker.tv"></div>;

• LugorsLugors Member UncommonPosts: 184

WoW has given everyone totally unreasonable expectations of what constitutes success in today’s market.

SWTOR had around 2.7mil boxes sales and above 500k subs, and that was considered a flop that had to transition to F2P.  I think that is the upper limit of what a non Blizzard mmo can do today.  The market is so fragmented with quality games, but you can only play one at time.  As long as the business fundamentals work, ESO should be fine with the smaller player base focusing on the small scale PvE and large scale PvP.

Wildstar is trying to be more big tent and inclusive than ESO was, less niche and more something for everyone.  They should be fine also, as long as the expectations are reasonable, and they don’t expect WoW numbers for the western market.

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

Elder Scrolls is a beloved IP that has been going strong for about 20 years. It suffered from the SWTOR syndrome, people just expected too much & the company got in over their heads.

This does not excuse the immense amount of bugs & the horrible launch. Then again, I been gaming for a long time, I've seen most MMO launches go bad.

Wildstar will get its share of hate soon enough. Just wait for people to start creating accounts just to bash the game and troll this forum. It happens with every game.

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911
    Originally posted by Solar_Prophet
    Could it simply be that -and I'm just guessing here- people who frequent this site think Wildstar is a better game than ESO?

Sometimes I wonder if people that frequent this site like any game!

The problem between Wildstar and MMO vets like me is that we are in two different paths. If I was new to MMO's I would probably love a game like Wildstar. But I'm a vet, I done it all before, I know what kinda game it is and how it will play out... although from the praise the raiding has been recieving I'm pretty tempted to try it.

• Stimos8Stimos8 Member UncommonPosts: 163
    The thing is - certain people love that story driven, attempted "realistic" feel, that a game like eso brings. However, to me and a lot of other people, we would much rather go watch a movie, and have good quality content in our games. See to me, the less dialogue, the better, it means instead of wasting countless hours on voice produced "fancy dialogue", like they did with eso, they actually spent time on gameplay, balancing combat, raids, dungeons, pvp etc... and this shows, by the sheer amount of features the game has - compared to eso, which was a higher budget game. Fair enough if you like the whole "part of the game" situation, and that's okay, but to someone like me, and a lot of other players out there, we would rather play the game, then fantasize about it.
  • Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

ESO got tons of positive hype.

In fact MMORPG.com stood by them during the "accidental charging of a full months sub, before you played at all" and  didn't really say much bad until their third review.

Why not let WS launch, then start sharpening pitchforks and dipping torches into oil?

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

I attribute it to Elder Scrolls fans.

The criticism against Wildstar sounds like: lol look at those cartoony graphics this is for little kids

The criticism against ESO sounds like: HOW DARE YOU RUIN MY BELOVED ELDER SCROLLS WITH THIS GARGBAGE ARRRGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH

• AlumicardAlumicard Member UncommonPosts: 388

+1 for the "it's a TES game" argument. If your MMO has to compete with Skyrim then you are doomed to fail. There is simply no way you can win vs 100's of mods.

But they also did some rookie mistakes with stuff like groups not working correctly. When you do quests people are/were in different zones/instances. Might be because of their server structure but grouping is more or less what an MMO is about and should work on release.

And Wildstar, well...you know what to expect from it: a quest hub, dungeon grinding game with instanced pvp and maybe a bit open world pvp for the lulz. At least I didnt expect more from it and it does those things quite well. The combat isnt your normal tab-target which makes it "special" and people can say it is new. Yes it is a button smashing system but a new way to button smash. The paths(soldier,scientist aso) arent that great and imo get a bit repetative after a while but it's another thing to point at and say it is something new. And some are really helpful like I think Settlers can build stations that give you buffs like hp and xp. Housing is a fun thing to have and thats not bad either.

I remember a quest where I had to rescue some people from a burning house or something. Talked to them and it stopped burning and all was good. Another play ran right past me to talk to the same people and I knew on his screen it still was an inferno. In Wildstar that is more or less what I expect. In ESO that would annoy me *shurg* dont know why.

I would really like to flame the game but I simply can't. What it does, it does well and the only problem is that I have this "been there, done that" feeling but that isn't the games fault.

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916

Oh oh *jumps up and down* pick me! pick me! I know this one!!

I'll take SKYRIM, OBLIVION, and MORROWMIND for 1000 Alex!

What do I win???

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• kartoolkartool Member UncommonPosts: 520
    I think both games appeal to different audiences. There will be some who enjoy both because both games have done some things very well. They both do some things people won't like as well. It will be interesting to see how long it takes either to go F2P, I can see both having decent numbers of die-hard fans. 
  • TheRealDarkeusTheRealDarkeus Member UncommonPosts: 314

Another one for the, "It is an Elder Scrolls Game" argument. ESO came with a lot of baggage and a confused user base. You had TES players who have little to no experience with MMO games coming to the game because it is another TES game. Then you have MMO players who may not be familiar with TES games so much. They are playing because it is a new MMO.

And ESO is neither and both. It is really in a weird place. Plus, Bethesda and Zenimax are known for buggy games. That doesn't help either.

Wildstar is just Wildstar. it is not a beloved franchise but a new IP. It has less light on it by that fact alone.