Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wildstar Review by 33yo gaming since before internet

124»

Comments

• HricaHrica Member UncommonPosts: 1,129

OP, I really respect your review/thoughts.

As for the wife and I.....I really think the "cartoon" graphics, being watered down, is catering to the older crowd as well...like my wife and I.

It's what our kids watch on tv...it's fun and easy, and some thing I can jump  in and out of.

Just my 2 cents, not even sure if we will purchase the game or not...just saying it's a little fun.

P.S I do really like the combat...a lot faster than the EQ2 when have been playing for years now....just to burnt to go back to WoW like so many reading this.

Cheers!

• Saio3Saio3 Member UncommonPosts: 88
    Originally posted by Rigur
    Originally posted by Saio3
    Originally posted by Rigur
    Originally posted by Saio3
    Originally posted by Pigozz
    Originally posted by Krimzin

you can judge how good a game is gonna be within first few hours of playing it. If the game doesn't keep you playing, toss is away.

I think you are wrong. There is a learning curve to Wildstar. Around level 20 you actually start true character development. Until then you are just learning the mechanics. The AMP system alone takes a bit to fine tune.

So how many level 50 toons do you have currently in Wildstar?
    None you say? How can you judge a game without experiencing end game. Yes there are telegraphs in PvE but have you seen how complexed they are.

You say you grew up on EQ.. Seriously? Most EQ fights were almost straight Tank and Spank with almost no mechanics at all.
    From a Cleric Healer aspect, the raiding was.. Complete Heal.. 1..2..3..4.. Complete Heal..1..2..3..4..Complete Heal..1..2..3..4..Complete Heal. That was so easy to the point of boring.

Yes you are right.. You stand if front you die.. You stand behind your safe.. How boring is that.

Wildstar your not safe anywhere. You have to constantly move and still do your job. You have to Aim.. EVERYTHING.. not just click on a name then Heal or DPS..

Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy the game..

Funny

Eve is all about getting to fun after perhaps a year of playing

Yet it makes me want to play it from the second I create my character and buy my second frigate..

You can make any excuses you want

The game is boring  simple as that

There, I fixed that for you.

Even funnier, I've tried eve like 3 times in different updates and couldn't pass past that tutorial, Ppl say noob zone on WS is boring? play eve tutorial and die...

See? what is fun for you might be boring dull and full of the worst players the gaming world has (maybe after lol).

I don't like mobas, But I don't go to their forums to say X game is crap, just because I don't like it It doesn't mean some other might like it.

But it's ok to go on the forums and shout to the heavens how great you think a game is?

This isn't the Wildstar forums. This is a wildstar sub forum on a site about MMOs. If you don't like the negative posts then stick to the posts that talk about how great the game is. The forums can become one huge circle jerk of people agreeing with each other.

Where did you get that I don't like negative posts? 

As I always say, everybody and their moms are entitled to their opinion, THEIR opinion.

What I don't find correct is that people want their own opinion to be the absolut and only truth.

Do you understand me or need further explanation?

Point to me where he said his view of the game is how all people should see it?

You just implied that cause his view is counter to yours. I don't like wildstar it was very boring. What I just said in no way tells others how they should view the game.

No I understand your passive aggressive post just fine.

Read it again without my fix. Isn't that an opinion wanting to be an absolut truth?

• summitussummitus Member UncommonPosts: 1,414
    Originally posted by DeSadeWhirlfist

My creditials: If its an MMO i've probably played it, in some cases for years. I grew up on Everquest, I ate Planetside for breakfast, and crapped out many games that have lost my interest. I believe games are suppose to make you want to play, to advance your character, to get the lwwt loots. I believe pvp in todays MMO scene is a requirement, and shouldn't be an after thought.

My likes: End-game, the journey to end game, character progression, PVP.

My dislikes: Easy watered down themeparks that cater to the kids

Wildstar Review- First impressions graphics are different from  what I normally play, game play is EXACTLY the same as every other MMO out there. They have the ground markets which allows you to dodge enemy hits, but if you really think about this....Nearly every MMO i've played has ground markers, but they are invisible making the game more difficult. Wildstar shows the ground markers actually making their game more easy then it already way in the MMO market. I remember the days of Everquest, if you stood in front of a dragon you'd normally get fried unless you were the tank. If you stood behind the dragon you wouldn't get hit by cones....Same concept as wildstars combat system, if an enemy has cone attack dodge it or stay behind it and guess what no damage....Whats easier, whats more visually pleasing, whats more realistic this is gonna be the question that haunts Wildstar. In an industry where gaming is already to easy, people looked to Wildstar for difficult and different gaming....Wildstar fails horribly in the eyes of this hardcore gamer. Purchase Wildstar no thanks I wouldn't even play it if it was F2P.

Wildstar beta access: Played for a good solid gaming session 8-10hrs....Won't be back

Please don't use your age or how long you have been around to somehow validate your review as better than someone else's young or old.  I'm 57 and have been around somewhat longer than you have , but I still wouldn't be so arrogant to believe my opinion is more relevant than anyone else's.

• PeZzyPeZzy Member UncommonPosts: 154

The guy claims he has stuck with some MMOs for years, but I suspect those only include games like Everquest which had basically little-to-no competition during its time.

It's pretty clear this guy is a game hopper.

I don't know if this gives me any cred, but I've been MMO gaming since the days of the text MUD/MUSH/MUSE etc.

Wildstar is not the best MMO ever. My favorite MMO was SWG and I know that I am unlikely to relive that experience. The two thing I like about Wildstar are:

1) Frenetic PvP - I don't recall an MMO that had PvP as 'wild' as Wildstar

2) 40 Man raiding. I got into MMOs to have shared experiences with large numbers of players. Too many MMOs are single player games.

There will be no MMO game to end all other MMO games. You have to focus on what you like in one game while playing what you like in another. Forcing yourself into one game for years no longer works.

• VicDynamoVicDynamo Member Posts: 234
    Originally posted by DeSadeWhirlfist

My creditials: If its an MMO i've probably played it, in some cases for years. I grew up on Everquest, I ate Planetside for breakfast, and crapped out many games that have lost my interest. I believe games are suppose to make you want to play, to advance your character, to get the lwwt loots. I believe pvp in todays MMO scene is a requirement, and shouldn't be an after thought.

My likes: End-game, the journey to end game, character progression, PVP.

My dislikes: Easy watered down themeparks that cater to the kids

Wildstar Review- First impressions graphics are different from  what I normally play, game play is EXACTLY the same as every other MMO out there. They have the ground markets which allows you to dodge enemy hits, but if you really think about this....Nearly every MMO i've played has ground markers, but they are invisible making the game more difficult. Wildstar shows the ground markers actually making their game more easy then it already way in the MMO market. I remember the days of Everquest, if you stood in front of a dragon you'd normally get fried unless you were the tank. If you stood behind the dragon you wouldn't get hit by cones....Same concept as wildstars combat system, if an enemy has cone attack dodge it or stay behind it and guess what no damage....Whats easier, whats more visually pleasing, whats more realistic this is gonna be the question that haunts Wildstar. In an industry where gaming is already to easy, people looked to Wildstar for difficult and different gaming....Wildstar fails horribly in the eyes of this hardcore gamer. Purchase Wildstar no thanks I wouldn't even play it if it was F2P.

Wildstar beta access: Played for a good solid gaming session 8-10hrs....Won't be back

You say you are interested in end game and quit after 8-10 hours. I don't believe anything in your review.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    You're older than me :( you must be right.

• Colt47Colt47 Member UncommonPosts: 549
    There is a review... and then there is ranting.  This is rant that offers no information about the game outside of the part that the OP did not like.   
  • NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    guy reviews MMO game after couple hours of play, seems legit.
  • BillSussmanBillSussman Member Posts: 42
    Originally posted by Ikeda

Thank you for your third post ever.  

As EQ was the oldest MMO you mentioned.. that's hardly BEFORE the internet.

You state that you enjoy End-game and PvP.  Not sure exactly why you're complaining.  Other than you can't test the very part of the game you profess to like.

Please, do tell us what you're currently subbed to....

I would like to know why you think Wildstar is GREAT. As far as I'm concerned every single negative post on wildstar has been 100% correct. Its boring, i want to sleep every time I've tried a BETA for it. BETA weekend and more recently this 10 day open beta. The game is so badly optimized i can't even run it on a really good rig. Every setting gives the same FPS (sign of a terribly optimized game) Seems to me its the exact same client that's been out since the first BETA period with patches just to open new areas or extend the lvl cap. No optimization during the entire year? Come on. Its 2014. Then it brings me another point, wheres the innovation? My entire time on beta i haven't seen anything "new" in terms of features or new ideas. Heck there is barely any voice overs in the game. I dno about you guys but if you remember FFXIV that was a SPAM CLICK QUEST game. Everyone in my guild and free company had no idea what was going on during the storyline. Sure maybe there's some cool stuff at the end of the game, but i cannot justify spending money on the game then subbing to it just to see if i like the end game past lvl 30 in a few months time. In that time there's a handful of better MMORPGS making its way out. Most of which have me hyped. I was never really hyped for wildstar to begin with.

• nennafirnennafir Member UncommonPosts: 313
    Originally posted by sonicbrew
    As a 47 year old who actually was doing BBS before the WWW was conceived your full of nonsense. At 33 you weren't even formed yet pre-internet BBS making the rest of your post obsolete...

This is pretty much what I was thinking (also in my mid-40s.)  How can a 33 year old have been gaming since before the internet?  Maybe you mean before the WWW?

:D

My dad worked at national laboratories and let me come in occasionally to the mainframes there and play all sorts of fun games.  We also dialed in on those old modems that you actually plugged the handset on the phone into (rather than the later ones that you plugged the jack in.)  Fun times!

Have you really played old computer games if you didn't play c.c. adventure, or that "guess the animal" AI computer game in the 70's, or that Evil Knievel text game where you jumped bigger distances and got a list of bones you broke?  *wipes tears away from eyes*

Or did you play a game with punch cards? :P

************breaks from nostalgia************

Anyway, back on target:  I am not remotely a kid and prefer games that are fun and enjoyable and can be played by anyone.  Why would being fun and enjoyable imply that it is just just for kids?  Doesn't everyone like accessible games?

I just hope they don't kick casuals to the curb in the end-game content, and still have something for everyone.

• mayito7777mayito7777 Member UncommonPosts: 768
    I like the game, I am just not going to play it.

want 7 free days of playing? Try this

http://www.swtor.com/r/ZptVnY