Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So when does this game get fun?

umcorianumcorian Member UncommonPosts: 519

Seems like all MMOs these days have a specific level where the game actually starts being anything other than a boring, tedious grind that hasn't evolved the genre since Blizzard came out with EZ-Mode Everquest back in 2004. 

How long does this game make you wait before you start enjoying it, and is there a way to by-pass the levels that suck so I can actually have fun without investing time being bored in a game I've paid $60 for?

Thanks. 

Comments

• Deerhunter71Deerhunter71 Member Posts: 527
    Level 20 which is what I read on various posts.  I personally think that is way too long because a lot of people will not grind long enough to see it.  The larger issue Carbine needs to be worried about though is their optimization.  Hopefully they get that sorted out for those who are looking forward to the game.
  • ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911
    From what I've read the best part about the game are the dungeons, the boss fights are suppose to be a particular highlight due to their difficulty and fun mechanics.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by DMKano

If you are not having fun within 20 minutes of logging in - either the game is not for you or the game designers have failed.

I don't necessarily agree with that, but it's not a secret that WS formula is the same from the beginning to the end. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697
    Originally posted by bcbully

If you are not having fun within 20 minutes of logging in - either the game is not for you or the game designers have failed.

I don't necessarily agree with that, but it's not a secret that WS formula is the same from the beginning to the end. 

I agree with BcBully.

Some games I've played have been fun from the very start (GW2, Neverwinter), only to turn boring later down the road. Some games I have grinded through the starting zones, but hooked me later, after 10-20 levels (WoW, SWTOR).

Things are not so black and white. Sometimes you might get pleasantly surprised.

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    If I play a game and Im not having fun within 20 levels, I would consider that a problem.  Why bother with a game that is simply not fun for you?   The games I play the most are LOTRO and GW2 and both games hooked me almost immediately.  I don't believe there is some level where games start getting fun.  It sounds like the game is just not for you then. 
  • Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

I had fun relatively right away...

My friend and I were dueling and redueling and trying out different skills at level 5, which I consider to be kinda low for me to actually get into the pvping of a game.

I'm so glad this game HAS dueling, wtf is up with games that don't have dueling in them anymore?

• DanitaKusorDanitaKusor Member UncommonPosts: 556
    Originally posted by Laughing-man

I'm so glad this game HAS dueling, wtf is up with games that don't have dueling in them anymore?

Probably because a lot of people aren't interested in PvP and are sick of random idiots coming up to them and spamming duel requests at them while they are trying to do something else.

The Enlightened take things Lightly

• NyghthowlerNyghthowler Member UncommonPosts: 392
    Originally posted by DanitaKusor

Probably because a lot of people aren't interested in PvP and are sick of random idiots coming up to them and spamming duel requests at them while they are trying to do something else.

^^^QFT^^^

I don't mind PvP, but if I reject the first invite to duel don't spam me with repeated requests.

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

that's why devs give you the option to automatically decline duel requests (or not even see them). :)

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• KinadoKinado Member Posts: 198

So instead of having an ignore duel requests option, its just best to scrap duels off completely from a game? Ok...

For me Wildstar starts being a LOT of fun at level 6 once I get access to the battlegrounds. PVP is just amazing in this game, best I have ever played by far and I pvp'ed like crazy in other MMO's such as WoW, DCUO, Rift, Age of Wushu, ESO, SWTOR, you name it.

If PVP isn't your cup of tea then you have the pretty generic questing, same crap as any other MMO I've played. Go here, kill that, deliver this, talk to this guy. Same old same old. What Wildstar offers that's different, its the way you make these quests through gameplay. Challenges, combat itself, path missions which I really like, platforming etc. That makes it fun.

Then you reach level 20 and enter contested zones, if you are in a pvp server then quests just got a whole lot more fun to do.

What I haven't seen yet, because I only played up to level 20ish and mostly just queue up for battlegrounds, is the dynamic events à la GW2 . Carbine says Wildstar has them just like GW2 and by far that was the best thing about GW2, stuff happening around you all the time making the world feel alive.

Then dungeons man...dungeons. Crafting. All that good stuff. This game is a lot of bang for the buck.

• acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878

That's why they invented the 'Auto Ignore Duel Requests' (or similarly named) option.

As far as when WS gets fun.. level 20 is also what I've heard, but I'm yet to actually get there because despite the progress from alpha to now (WS has come a long way) there is still a distinct lack of challenge in the lower levels and the questing is still painfully un-engaging.

Side-note: I haven't had any problems running WS, ever, even on a 2 year old laptop which only got about 2fps in EQNL.

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,821

Thats not instant gratification enough!

You should be having fun in an MMO 20 minutes BEFORE you ever log into the game.

I mean, seriously, are people judging MMOs based on the first 20 minutes now? Pathetic.

• VicDynamoVicDynamo Member Posts: 234

This is completely wrong. The tutorial is build for non MMO players  so if you're an established MMO player, the tutorial isn't for you - however the game itself overall may be. While the game gets the novices caught up, it probably won't challenge you enough to feel fun until around level 15 or so.

• Alber_gamerAlber_gamer Member UncommonPosts: 588

Everybody that types down a message in these boards seem to be of the single minded ideal that everyone likes the same things, at the same thresholds of entertainment, and the same breaking points as everyone else.

Get this: You're wrong. 

Find out what's fun for yourself by yourself. Or stop bothering everyone else with your personal tragedies about how a videogame is failing to please you. It doesn't contribute in any way with anything.

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

• DaessarDaessar Member Posts: 204

Seriously its game design 101 - 20 min is what you have to gain a customer in a MMO.

If fun doesn't happen within 20min for an average gamer they move on.

but last year design 101 was 30 min, and the year before that it was 40 min....so MMO designers have at most 2 years left before time is up.

:(

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Prhyme

This is completely wrong. The tutorial is build for non MMO players  so if you're an established MMO player, the tutorial isn't for you - however the game itself overall may be. While the game gets the novices caught up, it probably won't challenge you enough to feel fun until around level 15 or so.

Fun and challenge are not mutually exclusive in my experience. Fun in this case simply means something enjoyable to do in the game, if I have to wait 20 levels for that ( not that a dungeon challenging me means a game is fun...) I doubt I'm going to make it that far.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• HolophonistHolophonist Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

Ugh this mentality is so what's wrong with games right now.

• KaoftheRoseKaoftheRose Member UncommonPosts: 73

games do not have to orgasm fun into your brain from the second you log in. saying that is just ludicrous. it is absolutely impossible to make every aspect of a game "fun".... sometimes you have to do things just to do them... 

however, if you log out for the day and you didnt have fun at some point during your play session.... that is a problem.

• fascismfascism Member UncommonPosts: 428
    minute one
  • fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240

Supposedly lvl 20 is when the game starts getting fun. That is untill you hit 20 and everyone tells you lvl 30 is the starting point for fun. If you are level 30, well then, 40 is when you should start to see the 'fun'. Already 40? Well then, End Game is where the real game is at!

The above is what I am tired of seeing with EVERY new MMO hitting the market. If a game doesn't catch you in the first few levels/hour of game play, chances are it never will. Maybe something will change in 20 levels? Who knows. If you already paid for the game, might as well give it a shot. If after the first hour of so you are completely bored or finding it difficult to bother logging in, then moving on might be best. If a game can't hook you early on, theres a problem. You should feel the 'want' not the 'need' to play to get through the progression.

If you like a game and come across a post from someone saying "I couldn't get to level ten without dying from boredom..." don't tell them they are doing it wrong, or that they 'fail to MMO'. They are either not really interested in the game to begin with, not even playing it, or seriously cannot find anything fun about it. You can suggest "Well hey, try sticking it out to X level when this feature opens up and maybe it will help" and maybe they will. Or maybe they won't. Hell, it's probably just a troll post anyway so why bother feeding them with "OMFG noob, game begins at lvl 20!" 

In working with people on a daily basis one learns that the best way to find out if someone is genuinely seeking help or just being a troll is to be as nice and as helpful as possible. Being helpful and 'Nice' is like kryptonite to a troll and will send them into a rage making their true intentions known to everyone.

The one thing I will say about WS in my opinion is the beginning levels are kinda badly done (Specifically the first 3 levels aboard the ship). Once you hit the planet it gets a little better, but not by much. And even without the watermarks plastered across the screen the game still gives me a heacdache (not a full on "OMFG TEH PAIN!" headache, but the annoying slightly dull pressure type) which I think has something to do with the graphics (not the art style). And I think the headache thing is making it hard for me personally to see the 'fun'. All in all WS is not a bad game. It's just a game you will either like or not like. And thats OK.

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Holophonist

Ugh this mentality is so what's wrong with games right now.

How so? Playing games is about entertainment, if you're not entertained there's a problem some where, be it not to your taste, or boring design.

I can't think of any design principle I've heard that says "don't worry about it" "they'll have some fun 20 hrs from now"..

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• stayBlindstayBlind Member UncommonPosts: 512
    Originally posted by Xiaoki

Thats not instant gratification enough!

You should be having fun in an MMO 20 minutes BEFORE you ever log into the game.

I mean, seriously, are people judging MMOs based on the first 20 minutes now? Pathetic.

I agree. Instant gratification is lame. All games should require you to do hundreds of hours of filler content before you play the real content. In fact, this content should be extremely easy and require little thought and/or player interaction.

Little forum boys with their polished cyber toys: whine whine, boo-hoo, talk talk.

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Always love the defense of games that it has to grow on you.  You either log in and like the mechanics or you do not.  You either like the movement, animations, scenery style, combat feel, view options, etc....or you do not and if you do not like these things you are not going to like the game.  The crap about story gets better later that is fine, but frankly good story only gets you so far if you hate the way the game plays.
  • MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977

Then a well designed game needs an option to skip tutorial.

Why treat every player as if they never played a MMORPG before? Isn't that wrong?

Like I clearly stated - it's a design problem OR the game is not for you.

Forcing someone who has been playing MMORPGs for 15 years through a tutorial made for someone who has never played one is poor design.

Why not have a noob tutrial - which is extensive and goes over the basics.

A veteran tutorial that covers unique features of the game in 2 minutes and moves on.

And finally skip tutorial option.

Nothing really changes after tutorial. You just have a bigger map.

Its the same when people asked when ESO gets better, first it was "after the tutorial" then shifted "after starter island" then "when you hit mainland" then "insert arbitrary number from 10-50/when you hit dungeons" and finally "when you hit vet". But....yeah. Guess now is the phase of "man Craglorn will be AWESOME"

Same ol' story.

And ESO even opted for skipping stater island. did it actually make everything cool...nope, it didnt do anything really.

• stayBlindstayBlind Member UncommonPosts: 512
    Originally posted by Malabooga

Then a well designed game needs an option to skip tutorial.

Why treat every player as if they never played a MMORPG before? Isn't that wrong?

Like I clearly stated - it's a design problem OR the game is not for you.

Forcing someone who has been playing MMORPGs for 15 years through a tutorial made for someone who has never played one is poor design.

Why not have a noob tutrial - which is extensive and goes over the basics.

A veteran tutorial that covers unique features of the game in 2 minutes and moves on.

And finally skip tutorial option.

Nothing really changes after tutorial. You just have a bigger map.

I thought the tutorial was levels 1-50 ?

Little forum boys with their polished cyber toys: whine whine, boo-hoo, talk talk.