Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IN THE SPOTLIGHT: How Many MMO's Do You Dedicate Time To? Without Neglecting One

ImperatorBellusImperatorBellus Member UncommonPosts: 35

I realized that it is very difficult dedicating your time playing 3 mmo's without neglecting one. Currently, I am playing Star Trek Online and Planetside 2, I will be for the next 2 years since the MMO's I am really interested in (Warhammer Eternal Crusade, EQ:Next) will probably not be released until late 2015 or early 2016. Might also be interested in black gold online and The Repopulation but those won't be fully released until late 2014 and the Repopulation in 2016.

Do any of you play 3 mmo's or more? I am trying out world of warcraft again, haven't played since Vanilla, logged 508 hours on Vanilla wow. Still, I think I will have to neglect WoW for my other games, just seems so hard playing 3 mmo's at once.

Comments

• XerenixXerenix Member UncommonPosts: 237

3 MMO's.

SWTOR, LOTRO and FFXIV. Spend atleast 2-3 hours in each game a week.

• HelleriHelleri Member UncommonPosts: 930
    My constant for the last 13 years has been Runescape. I do neglect it occasionally for other MMORPG (usually no more then 20 days). Even so I tend to pop in at least for a bit each day for upkeep purposes. It keeps things fresh to try something new. To have a different style of graphics in front of me. I would have probably burnt out on my MMORPG of choice years ago if I didn't take little breaks. But, no matter what I play I am a one character per game type of player.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    I usually spend 75% of my gaming time in ONE specific MMORPG, which I will play as "main" game for several months or even years. The other 25% goes to games like Planetside 2, War Thunder or Defiance.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

nah .. i don't dedicate my time to games. If i play one more than others, it is because the game is naturally fun.

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675
    In recent years, zero.  I've never played more than one MMO and more than one character in that game though.  There just aren't enough hours in the day to play more than one MMO at a time.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    I usually dedicate 2-3 hours a week to 2 or 3 MMO's, depending on my free time. Lately I have been neglecting EQ and Rift a bit with the release of ESO.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    None I bounce around way too much

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

None - I'm waiting for Elite: Dangerous.

Eve Online is alright if you have loads of time to spend on it, which I don't have.  You see, the long-term game in Eve relies on developing relationships with other players - and that takes time on top of actually playing the game itself.

• BeelzebobbieBeelzebobbie Member UncommonPosts: 430

One mmo, GW2 can't make time for any other mmo. I try to log in and play star trek online as often as I can but can't give it the love it deserves.

Otherwise I play Football manager 2014 and CS:GO.

oh and Hill climb racing on my mobile :)

• EzRdrEzRdr Member UncommonPosts: 40
    I can't handle more than 2 at a time. Right now it is archeage and wildstar. Just not enough time.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Originally posted by coretex666
    One MMO, one character.

As you said, there can be one, and only one.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• NovusodNovusod Member UncommonPosts: 912
    In the old days it was only possible to play one MMO at a time. Everquest, Star War Galaxies, and Lineage II could be played for 12 hours a day for months on end and barely dent them. Also subscriptions made the cost prohibitive. Nowadays MMOs are much easier and Free 2 Play so it is much cheaper to play 2, 3, or 4 MMOs at a time without neglecting them. Currently only playing 2 right now.
  • ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Alway's only 1 MMORPG, but that is mixed with either 1 singleplayer or several, depends on the type of singleplayer game. If it's RPG I'll stick with that and perhaps a MMORPG, FPS type of game often can switch between a few but still remain with only 1 MMORPG.

In themepark MMO's I often go for several characters because that's my niche when playing more easy MMO's.

If it's sandbox I'll stick with one character

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072

Just one.

For a time I tried juggling 2, but still it felt like I was devoting all my attention to one or the other at different times.

I think the YouTube series "Extra Credits" at one point made the claim "you can't play more than one MMORPG at a time", but I can't easily bring up the episode.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• ghorgosghorgos Member UncommonPosts: 191

Without Neglecting One? Well one mmo.

While i tend to play a second from time to time it will result in one mmo falling short.

• JustARandomPandaJustARandomPanda Member Posts: 61

Currently play 3 mmos approximately 1 to 1.5 hours each, sometimes more (typically weekends). The one mmo I play the most - approximately 5 out of 7 days a week - is The Secret World. I LOVE that mmo. It was the mmo that finally taught me it's possible to enjoy PvP. Formerly I detested PvP. Now - thanks to that game - I've grown to appreciate it and understand why many gamers love it. And I say that despite the fact that I suck at PvP in TSW and lose more often than I win. I tend to stick to mostly El Dorado and Fusang boards.

The other 2 are Neverwinter and Guild Wars 2. I love Neverwinter's action combat. And I have fun with the ongoing story in Guild Wars 2. Also recently re-installed Path of Exile to get back into it and see all the changes and improvements since I played it daily when it first went beta. When I was playing it daily with my BF we had a blast. I'm hoping the additions and changes will be just as fun as I remember.

Playing Now: The Secret World, Guild Wars 2, Neverwinter

Playing soon: Landmark beta, Swordman beta

• LeGrosGamerLeGrosGamer Member UncommonPosts: 223
    Last MMO I've played was FF14 for 2 months, from last November up til around 3 weeks ago I wasn't playing any MMO, until Perpetuum Online launched on Steam, and I'm enjoying it at about 60 hours a week.  If you're playing 2-3 MMO's at once, then you still don't know what you're looking for. Once you got that one title you really like, all your spare time will be dedicated in to it.   And I'm playing Perpetuum until Elite Dangerous OR Novus Aeterno releases OR GrimDawn heads in to Beta phase in which case the game will be multi player ready. :)
  • madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107
    Originally posted by JustARandomPanda

Currently play 3 mmos approximately 1 to 1.5 hours each, sometimes more (typically weekends). The one mmo I play the most - approximately 5 out of 7 days a week - is The Secret World. I LOVE that mmo. It was the mmo that finally taught me it's possible to enjoy PvP. Formerly I detested PvP. Now - thanks to that game - I've grown to appreciate it and understand why many gamers love it. And I say that despite the fact that I suck at PvP in TSW and lose more often than I win. I tend to stick to mostly El Dorado and Fusang boards.

The other 2 are Neverwinter and Guild Wars 2. I love Neverwinter's action combat. And I have fun with the ongoing story in Guild Wars 2. Also recently re-installed Path of Exile to get back into it and see all the changes and improvements since I played it daily when it first went beta. When I was playing it daily with my BF we had a blast. I'm hoping the additions and changes will be just as fun as I remember.

Not an attack on you, but as a fan of tsw myself, I find it odd that you like the pointless pvp of that game. It is one of the worst pvp experiences I've ever had. It was blatantly tacked onto the game as a last second thought and given no care or thought as a result. You are honestly the first, and only person I've heard of that enjoyed the pvp.

• Moar61Moar61 Member UncommonPosts: 260
    I would never be able to do more than one mmo. I've only played a handful (runescape > WoW > a bit of GW2 > ESO) and in all I'd dedicate a lot of hours into one character. Too much time in my opinion (probably not that bad in reality), I just have conflicting hobbies :)
  • Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    SWTOR and TSW.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• supermike27supermike27 Member Posts: 24
    I don't know how anyone can play more than one at a time with more than one character. If I choose to play other mmo's I tend to neglect both and then on top of that if I create 2 characters I find myself working on the one more than the other and it makes it seem im getting nowhere fast and they both feel neglected. So ive decided to play only one game at a time in this instance ESO and my favorite characters are healers and ranged so I chose a mage that can do both ranged and heals so im focusing on one character. But with the release of wildstar im feeling myself less inclined to put time into eso so I cancelled my sub and just sitting at home bored til the end of the month.
  • RhinotonesRhinotones Member UncommonPosts: 250

Only 1 MMO at a time devoting all my gaming time to it.

I tend to put all my energies into immersing myself in the world and giving my character value and worth (to me).

Id rather play NO MMO's (which is what I'm currently doing) if I don't believe a game will keep me interested for a few years at least.

• AyesdiephAyesdieph Member Posts: 14
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko
    I usually spend 75% of my gaming time in ONE specific MMORPG, which I will play as "main" game for several months or even years. The other 25% goes to games like Planetside 2, War Thunder or Defiance.

/highfive

War Thunder and Defiance are my go-to games for "something different for a bit".  Both are pretty great in their own right.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

3 or more MMOs usually.  

Neglecting one? MMOs exist to cater to me, not the other way around. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• AlturisAlturis Member Posts: 28

I agree it's difficult to split time between MMO's unless you are under the age of 24 (ie still in college/highschool and/or have less time restrictions). 

I manage 2 mmo's at this time (FFXIV and ESO) but Elder Scrolls I often play as a solo player which means I can jump in and out as I wish.