Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ESO is unlike any other mmo before it

xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854

You know in every mmo you have ever played you kill rats, not in ESO though, you collect them instead. Very refreshing change.

...for the record i love the game.

My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L

Comments

• LudwikLudwik Member UncommonPosts: 407
    WoW had you collect rats in the Deeprun Tram.
  • DEAD.lineDEAD.line Member Posts: 424
    How about an mmo that lets me tame the rats, make do some tricks, and then hand the over for the quest? 
  • xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
    I thought it was funny because i was doing trial of the ghost snake, i'm running around looking for big rats to kill, after several minutes i'm like wtf there are no rats, so i read the quest again, ohhh you collect them... lol and there so tiny.

• MeridiasBeaconMeridiasBeacon Member Posts: 86
    ESO has skeevers in addition to the regular rats. Keep questing and you will see.
  • MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

And after completing your personal story there are 2 decicated veteran factions waiting for you to grind thousands of quests.
    There is no other way to level then quest your eyeballs out.

pvp = no exp reward
    Dolmans = no exp reward after doing it once
    Public Dungeons = no exp reward after doing it once
    World bosses = no exp reward after doing it once

Well you get exp ! 128 veteran points ! but you need a couple of million exp to progress to the next level so its not worth doing.

Altough the questing is fun up to level 50 ! after that you hit the brick wall of boredomm.
    This mmo is going to share the faith of many themeparks before it and we all know it.
    Havent loged in for 3 days now as i cant stand the quests anymore.

They should have made an open world without loading screens and give people a choice on how they want to play the game, you know like Matt Firor told us in his trailer ?
    Instead they created a boring quest grinder with no other means to progress trough the game.
    And this is where many people are going to say goodbye to ESO.
    Veteran ranks are nothing more then 1 boring solo quest grind fest that should have never ever been ingame.
    But fanboys who are still in love and leveling to 50 might say otherwise, or the people who love pointless questing for weeks on end for zero rewards.

The last quest in the game gives you a lousy level 50 neck with shait stats on it.
    It seems to me that ESO wasnt even close to release yet, but needed to go live no matter the cost.

EU servers do not come as i can only see 1 Cyrodiil campaing full at prime time weekend.
    This shows me the retention of ESO is even lower then SWTOR.

Where is this guy who tought ESO will have 20 million subs ?
    i wanne see what he has to say as every sign is there to see this game is in rapid decline already :(
    Its by far the most boring mmo i have ever played, hell it almost make me resub to SWTOR.

Its going to get alot worse once the common folks hit Veteran rank, as i cant see how people who became the championof Tamriel are now forced to go trough the rest of the game (around 70% of ESO is Veteran crap)

Kuddo's for the people who cant get enough of questing months on end, but damn what a horrific anticlimax for a champion to go help the enemy factions and killing his own kind.
    Very well tought of and excelent way to kill off your game.

What a big disapointment pfffff :(

• shassshass Member UncommonPosts: 107
    Yep.. That sums it up.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,823

As you can see from the above (+1 as another poster beat me to posting) you can't please everyone. If you are a content locust how are you ever going to be happy with a MMO? You get to max level within a month, what do you do then? Raids and pvp may hold you, but even that is not likely to be enough for that kind of player.

ESO is not unlike any MMO before, it just has some old school elements that make it seem fresh and original. They have done a good job striking the right balance, and forged a strong game.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by DEAD.line
    How about an mmo that lets me tame the rats, make do some tricks, and then hand the over for the quest? 

You could do that with SWG, although I do not think there was a quest to do that, but you could create such a quest with another player. 

• JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353
    Originally posted by Mothanos

And after completing your personal story there are 2 decicated veteran factions waiting for you to grind thousands of quests.

pvp = no exp reward

Well you get exp ! 128 veteran points ! but you need a couple of million exp to progress to the next level so its not worth doing.

Altough the questing is fun up to level 50 ! after that you hit the brick wall of boredomm.
    This mmo is going to share the faith of many themeparks before it and we all know it.

They should have made an open world without loading screens and give people a choice on how they want to play the game, you know like Matt Firor told us in his trailer ?
    Instead they created a boring quest grinder with no other means to progress trough the game.
    Veteran ranks are nothing more then 1 boring solo quest grind fest that should have never ever been ingame.
    But fanboys who are still in love and leveling to 50 might say otherwise, or the people who love pointless questing for weeks on end for zero rewards.

The last quest in the game gives you a lousy level 50 neck with shait stats on it.
    It seems to me that ESO wasnt even close to release yet, but needed to go live no matter the cost.

EU servers do not come as i can only see 1 Cyrodiil campaing full at prime time weekend.

i wanne see what he has to say as every sign is there to see this game is in rapid decline already :(
    Its by far the most boring mmo i have ever played, hell it almost make me resub to SWTOR.

Its going to get alot worse once the common folks hit Veteran rank, as i cant see how people who became the championof Tamriel are now forced to go trough the rest of the game (around 70% of ESO is Veteran crap)

Kuddo's for the people who cant get enough of questing months on end, but damn what a horrific anticlimax for a champion to go help the enemy factions and killing his own kind.

True that you can only do everything once for xp, except there is always more to do around each corner, so I really don't see that as a gamebreaker. plus people would just camp at one spot grind, then move to another spot... this game relies on people playing different content (public dungeons, world bosses, etc) so it makes you move around the map and explore. so did GW2, yet nobody complained about it.

Veteran rank is a grind now, yes we all know it, they are delaying the speedy levelers until Craglorn is realeased. Then they are increasing VR exp in PvP and PvE, so you are not going to notice the grind so much and VR Dungeons will become a way for better XP gain I am guessing.  I am looking forward to exploring the rest of Tamriel personally and I think Craglorn is just the type of Endgame that suits me, I never want to schedule 3-4 hours raids on a tuesday EVER again.  Also you should be able to go to Craglorn at VR 9 and still get full xp there to level to VR12

Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • Ryoshi1Ryoshi1 Member Posts: 139

Skeevers are related to chua

/leeastereggs

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

pvp = no exp reward

I play ESO in very small time bursts. Meaning weekly I might be lucky to sqeeze perhaps 1 hour maybe 2. Sunday's are the only day's I am able to play almost all day. (that's 4 to 6 hours for me due to other things in life) 

But a game like ESO gives me the freedom to not constantly do quests, don't think I could handle the game if I would go from quest to quest to quest just to reach VR. I don't care for the little XP you'll get from just killing things around me. As I don't care to reach cap lvl for a long time.

Love the story's/quest, pvp is something I don't do much and definitly not expecting it to be as full as some want it to be. As you said to you it shows retention, to me it just shows me more are into the PVE part then PVP. But am sure eventually allot will turn to PVP as the game mature's aswell it's ingame community.

Could it be the the "former DAOC community" is more disappointed with the game then those who actually like ES games, am a hugh fan and to me ESO is a ES game because it let me choose how to play. Unfortunally for me the majority needs to be rewarded big time for everything they might do in these games.

Now don't get me wrong I might stop playing at VR level as PVP isn't really my thing in MMORPG's, have other games for that. But it's going to take atleast a few months before even nearing VR ranks, 3 day headstart highest character closing in on level 13 :P So even if I do it's money well spend.

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    ESO feels a lot like GW2 execpt its quest driven and all the quests are the same. I can only care about getting rid of ghosts for so long before it becomes a useless script with meaningless choices.

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• CarnicideCarnicide Member UncommonPosts: 222

pvp = no exp reward

Dungeons in the Veteran levels gives you about 50k-70k exp it depends on how many bosses they're to kill in that dungeon. For example in banish cells each boss gives either 9.7k or 13.5k depending on how tough it is. If you don't want to quest grind dungeons. It's the quickest way with a good group.

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    Originally posted by Reklaw

pvp = no exp reward

I play ESO in very small time bursts. Meaning weekly I might be lucky to sqeeze perhaps 1 hour maybe 2. Sunday's are the only day's I am able to play almost all day. (that's 4 to 6 hours for me due to other things in life) 

But a game like ESO gives me the freedom to not constantly do quests, don't think I could handle the game if I would go from quest to quest to quest just to reach VR. I don't care for the little XP you'll get from just killing things around me. As I don't care to reach cap lvl for a long time.

Love the story's/quest, pvp is something I don't do much and definitly not expecting it to be as full as some want it to be. As you said to you it shows retention, to me it just shows me more are into the PVE part then PVP. But am sure eventually allot will turn to PVP as the game mature's aswell it's ingame community.

Could it be the the "former DAOC community" is more disappointed with the game then those who actually like ES games, am a hugh fan and to me ESO is a ES game because it let me choose how to play. Unfortunally for me the majority needs to be rewarded big time for everything they might do in these games.

Now don't get me wrong I might stop playing at VR level as PVP isn't really my thing in MMORPG's, have other games for that. But it's going to take atleast a few months before even nearing VR ranks, 3 day headstart highest character closing in on level 13 :P So even if I do it's money well spend.

I love the elder scrolls games and this is nothing like a real elder scrolls title. You can't "play your way" because the entire game guides you into quest hubs. 

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• Neo_LibertyNeo_Liberty Member UncommonPosts: 437
    Originally posted by xpiher

I love the elder scrolls games and this is nothing like a real elder scrolls title. You can't "play your way" because the entire game guides you into quest hubs. 

That's crap.. You choose to do quests. In every game you can kill whatever you want.. Nothing forces you to do otherwise.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

I just don't understand this thinking.

If the quests were fun are they any less fun?

THE REAL ISSUE is not the quests (I suspect) but that you just want to have more exp to get to "top veteran level faster".

I STRONGLY suspect that people who actually liked the quests will still like the quests as once they get to top veteran level there won't be much to do until added areas.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803
    Originally posted by Scot

As you can see from the above (+1 as another poster beat me to posting) you can't please everyone. If you are a content locust how are you ever going to be happy with a MMO? You get to max level within a month, what do you do then? Raids and pvp may hold you, but even that is not likely to be enough for that kind of player.

ESO is not unlike any MMO before, it just has some old school elements that make it seem fresh and original. They have done a good job striking the right balance, and forged a strong game.

I'm not a content locus.  I am VR2 and have played a ton.  I have done all the quests in each zone, discovered the POI's and have all the Skill Shards from each zone before moving on.  I am taking my time playing the game and even I am finding the VR levels are a to much.

It starts when you hit 50 which I did pretty quickly getting into ColdHarbor and find out you no longer get XP for killing mobs in that zone.  It basically killed any sense reward for exploring and for the first time in a very long time I found my self spending more time running around mobs than just killing them.  Coldharbor is a really cool zone and I would have spent twice the time in it I did if XP hadn't gone away from killing mobs.

Than you hit VR1 finish your main story quest and am told to forget everything you did 1-50 and go side with a different faction.  You are dumped into the zone and expected to start siding with these people who you spent the previous 50 levels learning where your enemy.  This could have been really good if done well but it wasn't done well.  You are not asked to question your loyalties just abandon them.

Than you start to explore the VR content and find that killing mobs is pointless which also really sucks any sense of exploration out of the zones.

ESO is a really good game it really is but the VR levels where not well implemented.  They need to create a more meaninful transition and give you reasons to care about this enemy faction.  They need to make killing mobs meaninful and give people a reason to want to fight to the back of a cave and they need to give alternatives to questing as a means to advance.

Really the VR levels feel like filler to keel most people subbing until they add a end game.  I like ESO but hate what the VR levels are putting me though almost to the point of abandoning my main and leveling a Alt.  The problem with that is all the new content coming is VR10+ so sooner or later I'll need to fight though those levels. Adventure zones should be VR1-10 not VR11-12.

ESO is a great game marred by a number of really poor design decisions.  It has some great idea's but they needed to be implemented a lot better in most cases.

• AtrigoAtrigo Member Posts: 44
    I split time between SWTOR and ESO. While I find SWTOR quests much more engaging and entertaining, ESO offers a more open world feel with an ability to explore, as much as you can for a thempark game anyway. .So I often go off script in ESO and just see what I can find . Very similar to the way I played Oblivion. 
  • AtrigoAtrigo Member Posts: 44
    Originally posted by udon

I'm not a content locus.  I am VR2 and have played a ton.  I have done all the quests in each zone, discovered the POI's and have all the Skill Shards from each zone before moving on.  I am taking my time playing the game and even I am finding the VR levels are a to much.

It starts when you hit 50 which I did pretty quickly getting into ColdHarbor and find out you no longer get XP for killing mobs in that zone.  It basically killed any sense reward for exploring and for the first time in a very long time I found my self spending more time running around mobs than just killing them.  Coldharbor is a really cool zone and I would have spent twice the time in it I did if XP hadn't gone away from killing mobs.

Than you hit VR1 finish your main story quest and am told to forget everything you did 1-50 and go side with a different faction.  You are dumped into the zone and expected to start siding with these people who you spent the previous 50 levels learning where your enemy.  This could have been really good if done well but it wasn't done well.  You are not asked to question your loyalties just abandon them.

Than you start to explore the VR content and find that killing mobs is pointless which also really sucks any sense of exploration out of the zones.

ESO is a really good game it really is but the VR levels where not well implemented.  They need to create a more meaninful transition and give you reasons to care about this enemy faction.  They need to make killing mobs meaninful and give people a reason to want to fight to the back of a cave and they need to give alternatives to questing as a means to advance.

Really the VR levels feel like filler to keel most people subbing until they add a end game.  I like ESO but hate what the VR levels are putting me though almost to the point of abandoning my main and leveling a Alt.  The problem with that is all the new content coming is VR10+ so sooner or later I'll need to fight though those levels. Adventure zones should be VR1-10 not VR11-12.

ESO is a great game marred by a number of really poor design decisions.  It has some great idea's but they needed to be implemented a lot better in most cases.

Someone on in game chat compared the VR grind to the Jedi Grind in SWG. 

• artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431
    Originally posted by Neo_Liberty
    Originally posted by xpiher

That's crap.. You choose to do quests. In every game you can kill whatever you want.. Nothing forces you to do otherwise.

I double that "crap" meter. If you only follow the quests blindly, then yes it can feel like that. Or you can play as you want in each zone. I usually get to a new zone and just pick a direction as I harvest and find quests in what ever order they come.

No you don't have the whole map to do this. But each zone can be done however you want. Don't want to be lead around? Don't play like all the other quest hub games.

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

pvp = no exp reward

Well, its an mmoRPG, maybe you have not realised yet... But most people love doing quests... Espescially if they are done as good as in this game..

but then you probably never read quest text or listen to NPCs....  You dont like stories... Its only natural that you dont like quests, and probably dislike most MMOs for having them...

go and play first person shooters, they have way less quests

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• ChicagoCubChicagoCub Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

pvp = no exp reward

Well, its an mmoRPG, maybe you have not realised yet... But most people love doing quests... Espescially if they are done as good as in this game..

but then you probably never read quest text or listen to NPCs....  You dont like stories... Its only natural that you dont like quests, and probably dislike most MMOs for having them...

go and play first person shooters, they have way less quests

It may be an MMORPG but the problem I have with it is that the everyone P's the same R in this G.

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    Originally posted by Husvik

You know in every mmo you have ever played you kill rats, not in ESO though, you collect them instead. Very refreshing change.

Kind of like WoW's quest to collect the rats in Deep tram.. which was done 10 years ago. Refreshing like stale old beer :(

Originally posted by Nevulus
    Originally posted by Husvik

Kind of like WoW's quest to collect the rats in Deep tram.. which was done 10 years ago. Refreshing like stale old beer :(

You do know i was being facetious right?

I've mentioned this before its got a great balance or mix of crafting, harvesting, questing, dungeons, exploring, i even grinded out two levels on my alt getting skins.