Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Same game again

124»

Comments

• SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759

This is WoW with a NGE, which is weird because I like it.

This is WoW with a fun directional combat system, in space. And it is fun. After buying and canceling ESO. I am happy that something came along to erase that memory. I am actually surprised how much I like Wildstar, I have been an mmo skeptic for far too long. I think this game will be a hit, maybe not on this website, but once people play it they will like it.

wow is unpopular on this website, yet somehow it is still the top mmo. I think this game will be a huge hit.

• MagiknightMagiknight Member CommonPosts: 782
    Originally posted by tarodin

Hi all,

i've played the beta and what I found?

Same again... same game again...

Quests... go here and there, talk to it and bring it back to there and ... again... again... again...  no evolution, nothing, just another wipe.

Combat with no difficulty

Explorer path: you dont need to explore, just go there and click here... welcome to exploration

Who would have thought that Wildstar would be anything like you're describing? *end saracasm

• neobahamut20neobahamut20 Member Posts: 336
    Originally posted by Kinado

You played what? 10 levels? I'm sorry but you don't have a clue on what you're saying.

Game design 101: If you don't hook the player in the first 30 minutes, you failed and might as well forget that customer. He will not be coming back.

So unless levels 1-10 take 10 minutes to gain, it doesn't matter how many levels he got. They are losing potential customers left and right with that open beta.

Boycotting EA. Why? They suck, even moreso since 2008.

• crashdxcrashdx Member Posts: 53
    Originally posted by papabear151
    Originally posted by crashdx
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

What were you expecting? This is the genre.  This is what a Theme Park is. I'm not aware of any other game developers for any other genre who are desperately trying to overhaul the defining mechanics of that genre. Except for Theme Park MMORPGs Forcing a rushed evolution into these games hasn't proven overly successful.

It's really a catch 22 though. There doesn't seem to be enough market or an "Old School" Theme Park, but developers trying to make Action MMORPGs aren't meeting with overwhelming success either.

It's just my opinion/observation but for whatever reason, WoW appealed to gamers it shouldn't have and now.........we are seeing "It's the same ten year old game" comments. What about Mario Brothers?  Donkey Kong released 33 years ago. The basic mechanics are still the same. Either you like them or you don't.

Oh well.

Pretty much.

People don't seem to understand how sub-genres work.

Every 2D fighter is the same in theory...just like every JRPG...

Wildstar is a themepark MMORPG. To expect a sandbox out of it is your own fault and ignorance for not researching properly. I think that's the biggest issue with MMO fans, they expect every single MMO to cater to their needs

Old School MMO fans complain about GW2 not having a trinity or raids when it was never advertised as such.

Action MMO fans complain about Old School MMOs

Sandbox MMO fans complain about both.

I'd like to see all MMO fans approach games with more intelligence. Recognize that not every MMO game is made for your tastes. 

I think most MMO fans would like to see devs start approaching games with more intelligence. Recognize that not every MMO gamer likes to be told what their tastes are.

Whose telling you that? 

I'm telling you don't expect Pizza when you buy Ice Cream.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

What were you expecting? This is the genre.  This is what a Theme Park is. I'm not aware of any other game developers for any other genre who are desperately trying to overhaul the defining mechanics of that genre. Except for Theme Park MMORPGs Forcing a rushed evolution into these games hasn't proven overly successful.

It's really a catch 22 though. There doesn't seem to be enough market or an "Old School" Theme Park, but developers trying to make Action MMORPGs aren't meeting with overwhelming success either.

It's just my opinion/observation but for whatever reason, WoW appealed to gamers it shouldn't have and now.........we are seeing "It's the same ten year old game" comments. What about Mario Brothers?  Donkey Kong released 33 years ago. The basic mechanics are still the same. Either you like them or you don't.

Oh well.

Pretty much.

Wildstar is a themepark MMORPG. To expect a sandbox out of it is your own fault and ignorance for not researching properly. I think that's the biggest issue with MMO fans, they expect every single MMO to cater to their needs

Old School MMO fans complain about GW2 not having a trinity or raids when it was never advertised as such.

I'd like to see all MMO fans approach games with more intelligence. Recognize that not every MMO game is made for your tastes. 

I think most MMO fans would like to see devs start approaching games with more intelligence. Recognize that not every MMO gamer likes to be told what their tastes are.

This is exactly the problem and my point. If a game isn't made to your taste, you should pass on it. Instead, you sit there and try to tell the developers they are forcing their tastes on you and that your tastes expect something different. This is under the false assumption that this game was actually supposed to be for your tastes in the 1st place. No one is forcing you to change your tastes, you are the one trying to push your tastes where they really don't fit.

It's not "you" personally, I mean "you" in a general, collective sense since there are enough of "you" to force the change. Which I suppose would be fine, except it's not working. Nor do I believe the original EQ/WoW model was ever really broken. But  the model is sure broken now.

• neobahamut20neobahamut20 Member Posts: 336
    Originally posted by Jimmydean
    And off planet adventures.

Oh how I laughed and laughed.

Seriously, no matter what you do is play from home. You don't leave Earth. Deal with it.

Boycotting EA. Why? They suck, even moreso since 2008.

• ZebladeZeblade Member UncommonPosts: 931

OP...its been that way for many years. Every mmo will have the same just a different coat of paint. Its different and its fun its silly its hard in places and dungeons are hard..thats FUN!

Even if you get to 10..you seen nothing yet..in most  mmo.

Anyway.. for anyone NOW is great time to try it for free till the 18th

• Saio3Saio3 Member UncommonPosts: 88

I would really love to see a stream of all these people saying combat is easy, doing the first dungeon, Not even the first boss, Just the trash...

Every time I see this kind of posts I remember hating is cool and hip. I must be getting old, I think that's stupido. But then again I don't really care for an opinion from someone who didn't even get out of noob zone.

Though I most concur, The ship part is a bit dull.

Keep on hatin'!!!

• Saio3Saio3 Member UncommonPosts: 88

Oh well.

Pretty much.

Whose telling you that? 

I'm telling you don't expect Pizza when you buy Ice Cream.

Thanks!!! you made me remember I had Ice Cream in the fridge!

Something good came out of this thread after all. XD

• Covet78Covet78 Member UncommonPosts: 149
    Originally posted by G4NK3D

When I saw that player skills are telegraphed in PvP so you can easily dodge each others skills instead of actually trying to guess what a person might do next, it made my mind up for me. 

Sorry I'd rather have something that takes a little more skill than to just dodge telegraphs all day.

Because any serious pvp'er in wow doesn't use quartz style addon that clearly displays what your targets, and even non-targets are casting in arena's and bg's right? The only guesswork is instant casts that people have addon's to scream in their face when they get cast on your teammates.. like sheep and silence. Telegraphs work the same way as those downloaded  addon's that everyone over 2200 rating uses... except you can dodge the cast/channeled ones, not the instant cast.

Don't talk about skills if you can't see it's the same thing as those 'other' mmo's. 

• ProffitProffit Member UncommonPosts: 19

I've tried the open beta and I must say, I haven't been this excited about an MMO for a long time (ESO was more fake excitement, where I just really wanted to be excited, but wasn't really). I have found myself logging in and playing just for the fun of it, even though I don't want to play the beta anymore (want to save it all for release!). I haven't felt like that in a beta since the WoW beta.

I played every class to about lvl 4-6 and I must say, this game is really awesome. 

I have not played an MMO with such smooth gameplay since WoW, no ability lag, everything happens just as you expect it.

At first I was a bit sceptical about the telegraph system, but it really grows on you fast and is actually really fresh and fun!

Some classes were a bit boring but when I tried Spellslinger, I was sold, it felt like a more agile version of the WoW mage (which I loved). It just played so well, teleports, dodge, sprint, double jump, everything was so smooth, you had complete control of your character at all times, and I loved it. 

To me this is WoW 2 (and I have never heard or thought they were delivering anything else), and I'm really happy about that, cause I love WoW, and have played it for many many months over the years since its release, and I think Wildstar with it's unique combat system and excellent gameplay can really offer something unique while still being a new WoW.

• yaminsuxyaminsux Member UncommonPosts: 973
    Same argument (for and against) all over. In fact, it's the same with ESO just not too long ago.

/popcorn
    Originally posted by Proffit

I've tried the open beta and I must say, I haven't been this excited about an MMO for a long time (ESO was more fake excitement, where I just really wanted to be excited, but wasn't really). I have found myself logging in and playing just for the fun of it, even though I don't want to play the beta anymore (want to save it all for release!). I haven't felt like that in a beta since the WoW beta.

I played every class to about lvl 4-6 and I must say, this game is really awesome. 

I have not played an MMO with such smooth gameplay since WoW, no ability lag, everything happens just as you expect it.

At first I was a bit sceptical about the telegraph system, but it really grows on you fast and is actually really fresh and fun!

Some classes were a bit boring but when I tried Spellslinger, I was sold, it felt like a more agile version of the WoW mage (which I loved). It just played so well, teleports, dodge, sprint, double jump, everything was so smooth, you had complete control of your character at all times, and I loved it. 

To me this is WoW 2 (and I have never heard or thought they were delivering anything else), and I'm really happy about that, cause I love WoW, and have played it for many many months over the years since its release, and I think Wildstar with it's unique combat system and excellent gameplay can really offer something unique while still being a new WoW.

++1

This is a great game. I think it will sway the masses who are looking for a new game. THIS is WOW 2.0, which is a good thing. All of the other supposed "WoW clones" fell drastically sort in one or more areas. This is the perfect wow clone because it takes what WoW does good and changes it just a bit. Plus Sci-Fi, which should not be underestimated. Not everyone likes Medieval fantasy, we just put up with it because that is what is available. A TON of sci-fi fans will flock to this game. It does not take itself too seriously and who doesn't love "double kill".

Very impressed with this game, already purchased it for my sister to force her to pocket heal me.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,963

You played what? 10 levels? I'm sorry but you don't have a clue on what you're saying.

And after 10 levels the game changes completely from themepark WOW clone into sandbox open world simulation ?

No

One and for all , and take it from someone who has fallen for this many times:

What you see first 10 level is effectively games "pitch" , they show you what is the game about.

If it doesnt grab you by then. It never will.

But there are always game apologists. You played only to level 10 you have no clue...You played only to lvl 20 you have no clue...You played only to level 30 you have no clue

See? It can go indefinetly

• Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023
    isnt it always the same? mmos just seem to have a very steep hype/motivation curve that drops down immensly about 1 month after release...
    Originally posted by Nemesis7884
    isnt it always the same? mmos just seem to have a very steep hype/motivation curve that drops down immensly about 1 month after release...

I think this will be the first theme-park to buck that trend since wow. This game will cater to the masses, as long as they find out about it. And in this modern internet age I have no doubt they will.

This will end up the most successful mmo since WoW, I'm sure of it. There is a market for a sci-fi wow 2.0. The pvp is fun too, directional combat changes more than people are willing to admit.

• skoupidiskoupidi Member UncommonPosts: 244
    Originally posted by Lobotomist

And after 10 levels the game changes completely from themepark WOW clone into sandbox open world simulation ?

No

One and for all , and take it from someone who has fallen for this many times:

What you see first 10 level is effectively games "pitch" , they show you what is the game about.

If it doesnt grab you by then. It never will.

But there are always game apologists. You played only to level 10 you have no clue...You played only to lvl 20 you have no clue...You played only to level 30 you have no clue

See? It can go indefinetly

A themepark is a themepark. It wont magically transform into a sandbox after a few levels. The post you quoted propably commented on Op's thought that combat is easy, cause he managed to beat the tutorial.

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911
    Originally posted by SuperDonk
    Originally posted by Nemesis7884

I think this will be the first theme-park to buck that trend since wow. This game will cater to the masses, as long as they find out about it. And in this modern internet age I have no doubt they will.

This will end up the most successful mmo since WoW, I'm sure of it. There is a market for a sci-fi wow 2.0. The pvp is fun too, directional combat changes more than people are willing to admit.

I think this game will help WoW. A strange thing is that whenever there is a new MMO on the market, after it's initial release there is a spike of WoW subscribers. What people believe is that the shiny new mmo reminds people of WoW that they think, "I remember WoW, I had fun there" and so they trot back of to wow.

BTW best insult in a game is "go back to wow". A few month later when the game is dead, you know they really did.

This discussion has been closed.