Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this game worth the 150 for alpha acces i so wan to play it

Comments

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944
    Originally posted by Raxeon
    150 is hard to get together atm even tho i f i can it be fine : )

why dont wait for the 50 dollars part ? or for when it will be f2p ???

• summitussummitus Member UncommonPosts: 1,414
    Yes it was worth it for me , but really I would advise doing some research maybe watch a few streams of people playing it , you may get a better idea that way if its for you.
    Originally posted by fivoroth
    No game is worth $150. So for the love of god, wait. 150 is too much. Anyone who tells you otherwise is crazy. Also why would you want to play in alpha. All your progress will be wiped out and then at launch you will have to repeat the same content.

One things for sure , there is whole lot of crazy people running around in Archeage .. including me ! :p

• fhnw1988fhnw1988 Member Posts: 64

its not worth it. No game in this world is 150 Dollars worth- no matter the bundle.

You will burn yourself and leave the game before it even starts. And by the way, the game is just slightly better then the average asian mmo.

If you enjoyed first time Linage 2 you wont be happy with AA because back then Lineage 2 was with its time- where AA is 10y behind now. 

in the end its up to you- but do yourself a favor and do not buy it. Remember the game will go F2P and isnt doing well in other countries either.

Originally posted by fhnw1988

its not worth it. No game in this world is 150 Dollars worth- no matter the bundle.

You will burn yourself and leave the game before it even starts. And by the way, the game is just slightly better then the average asian mmo.

If you enjoyed first time Linage 2 you wont be happy with AA because back then Lineage 2 was with its time- where AA is 10y behind now. 

in the end its up to you- but do yourself a favor and do not buy it. Remember the game will go F2P and isnt doing well in other countries either.

@OP , I wouldn't take much notice of this post , guy has done nothing but bash the game at every opportunity. There are plenty of balanced view points on these forums , this isn't one of them.

• WhyspreWhyspre Member UncommonPosts: 64

Solid game play - the Korean voices actually work to make it feel exotic - on the fly groups, decent community [ass hats and trolls get ignored pretty quick :)] edgy in some places - open world pvp will do that - though it's not ALL open - just warzones and even then only when there's a war... except for the pirates :) The jail is funny... the gankers get busted and then they lie ... "someone just fell on my sword" 618 times... :) 

You get nice bennies for jumping in early... mounts and cash store cred but wait.... there's MORE! :D I figure I'm in for at least as long as I was in L2 - and that was four years :)

Find a guild, get 4 friends and form a guild - the game *does* reward hardcore players... I try to get on at least 2 or three hours a day [key is try... dang ol life getting in the way of my gaming!] - if you can afford it and you like gaming, this is a blast ...

Sylentz

also known as

Whyspre

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

No alpha is worth $150, they should be paying you for helping them get the game in shape, not the other way around.

Just have a little patience and wait for the release (and this goes for any MMO, not just AA).

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692
    Originally posted by Loke666

No alpha is worth $150, they should be paying you for helping them get the game in shape, not the other way around.

Just have a little patience and wait for the release (and this goes for any MMO, not just AA).

I totally agree.  I can remember when testing a game wasn't a cash grab for these companies.  I can also remember when getting into a "closed" test was a privilege and people actually provided good feedback to improve the games and not as a chance go play it earlier than everyone else then bitch because it isn't smooth when the NDA is lifted.

i personally think that by allowing people to pay to test we have lost so quality testers and this has done nothing to improve how good a game is at release.

• ZeddakisZeddakis Member UncommonPosts: 156

In the words of Scotty P...."No Ragrets".

http://youtu.be/pSW2FDXuFe4?t=25s

[mod edit]
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Raxeon
    No game is worth $150. So for the love of god, wait. 150 is too much. Anyone who tells you otherwise is crazy. Also why would you want to play in alpha. All your progress will be wiped out and then at launch you will have to repeat the same content.

I think this might be the official test server at release so it may not be wiped ( thats what my guild was saying)

It will. You'll have early access though.

Let other people influence your decision but make your own mind up about the game.

• BurntCabbageBurntCabbage Member UncommonPosts: 482

why pay 150$ for early access and char. wipes...no game is worth 150$ and if people keep dumping this kind of money on a game all bets are off..whats next? 200 / 250 /300?

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    No game is worth MORE than a car payment.
  • reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by summitus

One things for sure , there is whole lot of crazy people running around in Archeage .. including me ! :p

And this... ladies and gentlemen, is why the f2p model works.  Reminds me how shocked the EQN:L devs looked about how many people would actually pay for alpha.

• DeathsmindDeathsmind Member UncommonPosts: 185

The game is worth however you are willing to spend. I bet they could have put a higher price tag on it and still gotten most of the players. It just depends on if its worth it to you.

Do you have the cash, are you going to be hurting if you spend it, have you watched the Alpha streams and said this is a game you can play for months at least, do you think the value of everything you get worth the price tag, Can you wait until the beta comes out for the cheaper price tag. etc. These are all questions you should ask yourself.

• HerzyHerzy Member UncommonPosts: 184
    Originally posted by reeereee

And this... ladies and gentlemen, is why the f2p model works.  Reminds me how shocked the EQN:L devs looked about how many people would actually pay for alpha.

I think it really needs to sink in for many that F2P doesn't mean the game is being run by a charitable organization. It is free to try, and free to play to a certain extent but it needs to make money somehow. 

The supporters are the ones keeping these games running.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by SlyLoK
    Not worth $150. Not worth even $50 honestly. It feels like a typical f2p asian game with big time syncs to hide shallow features.

Subjective opinion is not the same as hard truths.

That being said, if you've got the money then it is worth it.  Coming from someone who abhors Asian styled games (check my post history) ArcheAge really delivers on old school concepts and open world freedom that has been missing from this genre for far to damn long.

At no point in the past week have I felt like I was grinding, because I don't push myself to do the same thing over and over and over.  working on my tradeskills, building up my supply of materials and doing trade runs on top of exploring a seamless world.  Not something I would call shallow features.  This game has more content then your average WoW clone and the majority of that content is suited toward the longevity of the game not the developer created stuff that gets mind numbingly repetitive.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by MMOGamer71

Where can I get a car for $150 a month?  I pay $400 for an average family SUV.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by azzamasin

It might also explain why it's such a big deal to spend that much on a game for some, and others it's no big deal ;)

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by Herzy
    Originally posted by reeereee

I think it really needs to sink in for many that F2P doesn't mean the game is being run by a charitable organization. It is free to try, and free to play to a certain extent but it needs to make money somehow. 

The supporters are the ones keeping these games running.

It's an interesting dynamic, isn't it though.  If the supporters aren't there the game makes no money and closes, but if the free players are gone everyone talks about how the game is dieing and starts making plans to move on to a new mmo.  The f2p model really only works well with both.

Also you are very incorrect, some games really are f2p.  Just because the flagship western f2p mmo SWTOR tries to screw the free players at every opportunity does not mean that is the only model.  I haven't spent a dime on Tera in over a year and feel almost no negative in game effects from being a free player.  Neither game is running a charity they've just chosen very different methods for how to extract those profits.

• ArcheAge2014ArcheAge2014 Member UncommonPosts: 135
    Originally posted by fhnw1988

Russian archeage is making $10 million usd per month in profit.

• Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023

i constantly hear things about trion and xl being in financial distress...seems to me they want to cash in quickly...and 150 is just unreasonably high despite what the fanboys will tell you how much of a value this is...this alpha/beta access buying has just gotten out of hand - especially for a free to play game...

I'd recommend you to wait a bit to see if the game will get any ground before you start spending money...

• Moar61Moar61 Member UncommonPosts: 260
    Considering that comes with a few months subscription it's a fairly good deal. 150 looks like a lot and it is for a game up front, but when it comes to mmo's you're gonna pay that one way or another.
  • RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365

Don't take anyone's opinion on a game you can try yourself for free and see if you like it or not.

Everything everyone in this thread said can be made irrelevant if you just go try it yourself.

I have the entire summer off with nothing to do so for me $150 is a fair investment.

So some other guy has 4 friends who all regret buying it.  I have 2 friends I play with that love it.  None of that matters when it comes to you, your money, and your personal tastes.

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Originally posted by azzamasin

I can think of about 6 items off the top of my head that effect ones car payment, none of which effect a games price, but that's for a different thread.