Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The X factor

tyfontyfon Member UncommonPosts: 240

I can't quite put the finger on it, but I think this game has the X factor.

It might be that it has open seamless world without instancing. Everyone are in the same place.

Or that you quest with someone and 5 minutes later you see them in trial chat defending their ass for uprooting.

I actually considered setting the alarm for my geese before I logged off, but I need to sleep!

Anyway, this is a fun game :)

Comments

• An4thorAn4thor Member Posts: 524
    Originally posted by tyfon

It might be that it has open seamless world without instancing. Everyone are in the same place.

Or that you quest with someone and 5 minutes later you see them in trial chat defending their ass for uprooting.

I actually considered setting the alarm for my geese before I logged off, but I need to sleep!

My ingame neighbour goes to trial quite often D: not to mention that i got ganked while trading and one of the guys lives in my same area too. Was there bad blood? No. I took the risk, he took advantage of it. If i see him trading i'll get his pack though.

Also it's fun to see so many ships roaming around the coast for trading, it actually emulates real naval traffic.

• tyfontyfon Member UncommonPosts: 240
    Originally posted by DMKano

The X factor is the depth.

ArcheAge is made for adults, not for kids.

I am not sure why AAA western devs keep making such shallow games.

The worst part is that the western games are regressing - EQ1 - a 15 year old game had more depth than WS and ESO combined back in 1999.

What the F is up with that??????

A shameful display.

I guess it is.

I still play anarchy online and it too has quite a bit more depth than most newer mmos.

The whole housing/castle/ship/trade/charachter development sandbox package of archaeage is really compelling though.

Right now the wife and I are having a lot of fun and I can't see it stopping. Too much to figure out :)

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

The worst part is that the western games are regressing - EQ1 - a 15 year old game had more depth back in 1999 than WS and ESO combined in 2014.

What the F is up with that???

A shameful display!

It's all about the marketing and sales with western mmos.

See.....Americans like to trick other Americans out of their money !.......Yes, I'm an American, but it's what our country likes to do.

• Quazal.AQuazal.A Member UncommonPosts: 859

The worst part is that the western games are regressing - EQ1 - a 15 year old game had more depth back in 1999 than WS and ESO combined in 2014.

A shameful display!

2 factors

1 - go after the people with the spare cash, which is the younger adult / late teenage years, but also im from the camp that believe looking back at games you played when you were younger often reeks of 'good ole days' and they weren't much better, because you could take it a step further back and say that games in the 90s/00s were too easy try playing games on DOS etc :)

2 - Sadly we are in society where people want things quicker / faster / easier, but also (this is true for uk, can't say for us 'a n other' country) but as a society we teach kids in school that failure doesn't happen , allowing kids to pass exams with grade F  / G etc just so you dont tell them they fail, and because of this the kids want games where they will ALWAYS win, and the market is merely pandering to them (see point 1)

Of course these are just 2 of my theories.

This post is all my opinion, but I welcome debate on anything i have put, however, personal slander / name calling belongs in game where of course you're welcome to call me names im often found lounging about in EvE online.
    Use this code for 21days trial in eve online https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=d385aff2-794a-44a4-96f1-3967ccf6d720&action=buddy

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383

A shameful display!

First off, you are above the whole 'made for kids thing'.  Anyone who says that, when not talking about Wizard 101 or Free realms, kind of invalidates anything else they have to say.

And I would say ArcheAge has breadth, but not necessarily depth.  For one, the combat and group mechanics don't seem particularly deep.  The world is big and pretty but not rich in lore.  There a ton of items you can craft, but i wouldnt call it a deep crafting system.  Oh ArcheAge is deeper than FFXIV or Rift or TERA, but its not EQ1 deep

As to why games are made with less depth, the main reason isnt that the games are targeted to younger people, its that the prime 20-35 audience is much different than it was 15 years ago.  People today dont want a social, strategic game where you had to earn max level, they want a twitchy game they can blaze through to get to max level.  People arent interested in the RPG element anymore.  Storytelling has become important (Bioware probably has a large part to do with this, and Naughty Dog is another company with exceptional storytelling).  But lets face it, Mass Effect (while fantastic) and modern FF games dont have anywhere close to the depth of Baldur's Gate, Ultima, and older FF games.

• khameleonkhameleon Member UncommonPosts: 486
    Originally posted by tyfon

It does have lots to do, but the combat is a step back to tab target and combat is a really important part of any MMORPG.

I think EQ Next will have tons to do, but with action combat(more modern) and also a truly destructible world which also allows you to build stuff without limits, that is something people have wanted forever. 

So, I have to play ArcheAge and see how it feels after a month, thats when most MMORPGs get stale and boring once you realize they really are not as fun as you thought the first 2 days lol. 

GAME TIL YOU DIE!!!!

• khameleonkhameleon Member UncommonPosts: 486
    Originally posted by delete5230

A shameful display!

It's all about the marketing and sales with western mmos.

See.....Americans like to trick other Americans out of their money !.......Yes, I'm an American, but it's what our country likes to do.

And in other places they just steal from you without the tricks. I have played many, many Eastern MMORPGs and all of them have sucked after one month. The only one I did enjoy was FFXI way back in the day since MMORPGs were still in their early years and it was one of the better ones out and had the final fantasy setting that we all loved for years.

I am hoping this is the 2nd one I can enjoy, but have to play it to tell. Aion, Tera, and the other 50 I tried before that from the East all fail me.

GAME TIL YOU DIE!!!!

• gelraengelraen Member UncommonPosts: 316
    Originally posted by khameleon

It does have lots to do, but the combat is a step back to tab target and combat is a really important part of any MMORPG.

I think EQ Next will have tons to do, but with action combat(more modern) and also a truly destructible world which also allows you to build stuff without limits, that is something people have wanted forever. 

So, I have to play ArcheAge and see how it feels after a month, thats when most MMORPGs get stale and boring once you realize they really are not as fun as you thought the first 2 days lol. 

I'm not sure about that.  My initial feelings about the combat were that it was back to WoW from a few years back - pretty static, tab target, etc.  but after playing further into the game the combat is growing on me.  It was a bit of a shock, coming from GW2 and ESO with action combat, but I'm finding Archeage's combat more mobile / action than a lot of the cooldown based tab target stuff out there.  

I guess what I'm saying is that I'm now finding the combat to be pretty solid most of the time.  There are some slight ability delays at times, but I'm wondering if that's just my latency, playing from the EU.

It is an insanely deep, interesting, and immersive world though.  I'm hugely hooked.

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383

but the combat is a step back to tab target 

tab target is NOT remotely a step back.  

twitch combat is better for shallow class setups and ones designed for shorter game sessions like TERA,  tab target is better for games with deep classes and deep combat and designed for long game sessions

AA is definitely designed for long game play sessions,  but I dont see much depth in the classes and combat.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Sorry to bust in here and say that GW2 and Tera and ESO for me are a step back.
    I want to target that healer an nuke his a ss down or land a CC on him.
    Try doing that in bigger fights where AoE is spammed over and over as you cannot target anyone due to many people standing infront of that healer...
    It promotes AoE and AOE only as has been proven by said 3 mmo's.

Tab Target remains the undisputed king of pvp on skill based combat in my humble opinion. :)

• An4thorAn4thor Member Posts: 524
    Originally posted by Mothanos

Try doing that in bigger fights where AoE is spammed over and over as you cannot target anyone due to many people standing infront of that healer...

Tab Target remains the undisputed king of pvp on skill based combat in my humble opinion. :)

I played GW2, and i want to add that having a holy trinity in PvP adds so much more fun to the format. Find the healer, nuke it. target dps. Or have healers stay behind with casters, while melees go in front and grab attention. If there is one thing i dislike about GW2, and i really like that game even now, is the shallow PvP that centers around big blobs or "raiding guilds" that roam in trains smashing everything that moves without much strategy.

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147
    Originally posted by An4thor
    Originally posted by Mothanos

I played GW2, and i want to add that having a holy trinity in PvP adds so much more fun to the format. Find the healer, nuke it. target dps. Or have healers stay behind with casters, while melees go in front and grab attention. If there is one thing i dislike about GW2, and i really like that game even now, is the shallow PvP that centers around big blobs or "raiding guilds" that roam in trains smashing everything that moves without much strategy.

Trinity destroyed the fun, the fun comes from being anything and evrything you want in one small package, trying them all out, mix/match to find the best set up, and then seeing your creation in action. Trinity to me was the wrong direction from older games, it just made it more simpler, not better.

In SWG  it was pretty good, but in AA i can be almost anything all at the same time. That is the ticket, creates more strategy since no one person is tied into a single class. I love the fact I can be a archer, necro, and assassin all at the same time, or a warrior, cleric, rogue or any other combo i can think of.

Trinity is rock, paper, scissors and its horrible.

But to topic AA has some depth, needs a lot more to go. Some areas of the game lack it. Some areas has  way too much depth lol.  But its new and has huge potential. Most newer games released early doesnt even have a 10th of content this game has. SWTOR been out awhile and still a shell of a game mixing console rpg with online support, AA to me felt like a real MMORPG from the get go, spent my first hour just exploring the starting area, while in SWTOR i was on my 3rd planet by then lol. Not attacking SWTOR for those that like it, just my personal experience/feeling. AA feels larger to me, and I am finally happy with a new age MMO release. Something I havent been able to say in 5+ years.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

The X factor is the depth.ArcheAge is made for adults, not for kids.I am not sure why AAA western devs keep making such shallow games.The worst part is that the western games are regressing - EQ1 - a 15 year old game had more depth back in 1999 than WS and ESO combined in 2014.What the F is up with that???A shameful display! 

I agree with you.
    But its the themeparks that seem to hold back innovation.
    And there are so few sandbox mmo's that released in a decade that its just sad.

Eve Online is still undisputed king of sanbox and released in 2003...
    In the meantime we have seen dozens and dozens of themeparks failures after another and still they havent learned how to make a decent one that can keep your attention longer then 2 months.

Archeage is hopefully a sign that more studio's need to make these kind of mmo's instead of themeparks -_-
    ESO was my last themepark for the time being, after warhammer / aion / SWTOR / GW2 / ESO i cant get excited anymore and its a dreadfully boring concept that is just repeating how dull the industry is becomming.

Bring back complex risk versus reward mmo's that have more depth then all the crap we have seen past decade.

• KarbleKarble Member UncommonPosts: 750
    Originally posted by syriinx

but the combat is a step back to tab target 

tab target is NOT remotely a step back.  

twitch combat is better for shallow class setups and ones designed for shorter game sessions like TERA,  tab target is better for games with deep classes and deep combat and designed for long game sessions

AA is definitely designed for long game play sessions,  but I dont see much depth in the classes and combat.

I see alot of depth in the classes and combat.

The classes (3 classes at once) stack together with your combat pet choices to form combos. This allows for some deep customization and theory crafting. Also you can dip deeply into specific class specific skills and concentrate on them to level them up for added damage as well as level your pet and mount. And of course there are ways to go full trinity in groups by taking deeper skills from a specific class which fully specializes you for a specific roll.

And there are other elements to combat as well such as cannon tanks, catapults, siege towers, gliders with special attacks, galleons with cannons, mini subs, mounted combat as well.

I think it's the combination of all these things that will make for very deep combat and class due to all these various elements being  part of combat in addition to potions and foods/drinks that alter combat as well. in addition there are crafted gears and weapons that also stack and allow for customization.