Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sleeper Hit of 2014/2015

Comments

• CoffeeBreakCoffeeBreak Member Posts: 236
    Originally posted by Kyarra
    I tried to get back into this game again after a break from the regular closed beta, it is a sleeper hit alright, so sleepy I fell asleep playing it..zzzz. I just can't get into this game no matter how hard I try to like it. Games today truly are bland :(

Bland?  Even if I hated it I don't think bland would be a word to describe it.  I could see a lot of people thinking it was annoying, childish, silly, ridiculous.  Like the guy that yells at you when you level up and how the game tries really hard to be funny(it's hit or miss on the humor).  

The zones are very colorful.  The environments have lots of effects and moving parts.  The combat is very movement based.  There is lots of jumping around and platforming.  If this game is bland what mmo isn't bland?

• NorewonNorewon Member UncommonPosts: 100
    Originally posted by CoffeeBreak
    Originally posted by Norewon
    Originally posted by oboc

Yes, I agree, this game will grow and grow over the next couple years. 

I do see a lot incoming hate from people who hate having to work for well, anything . That should scare off all the people they don't want in game anyway. 

+1 well said

I have to agree on the hate storm coming we are already seeing most of it from people who LOVE eso ( why are you here posting instead of playing your awesome game?) and yeah I do hope it scares off the people who are used to WoW and getting everything handed to them.

They are NOT going to like this :)

I play ESO :(

I guess I should cancel my Wildstar preorder.  I keep forgetting that on this site you can't be neutral and must be placed in little hate/fanboy camps.

:( im not trying to show you hate, I was saying i agreed to your post but there are eso fans who try to talk down the game... now ALL eso players :) but its like that in any game. I am sure there are rabid Wildstar fans that do the same

• KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185
    Originally posted by IceAge
    Originally posted by Kilrain
    Originally posted by Englefield
    Originally posted by Pie_Rat

I'm willing to stake that, just like every other recent themepark clone, Wildstar will go F2P in under 6 months and will be gone and forgotten in under 2 years.

Just a question out of genuine curiosity, which recent MMOs have gone F2P in 6 months, gone in 2 years?

AoC, Aion, DCUO, Rift, TERA, SWTOR, TSW...and soon ESO.

None of those went F2P in six months and they are all still around.

All of them, minus ESO, went Free to Play. Maybe not in 6 months, but that's not really the point of his comment anyway.

Really, that's not his point. Why writing about apples, when you mean oranges?

You're completely misunderstanding everything. re-read.

• AsleepAsleep Member UncommonPosts: 96

Wildstar will evade some people, straight up. They won't be able to get over themselves to get into it and have fun. There is an actual line between people who get how to play and those that do not. Not to say people are bad or can't grasp it, cause I have heard the same issues within my guild whom I know can play. But as soon as it clicks the pace changes- it really starts to become more fun, just killing creatures.

I have been re-leveling already have capped chars, to hone in on how I want to go about it, and the first time is so night and day to the second or third time just by understanding how and why the game was designed the way it is. Time and time again I ran into areas I thought were slow, or just boringly grindy or maybe bosses that seemed too difficult where I had to rez again and again to kill- were just a breeze simply cause I knew how to play.

I'm not trying to convince those who don't like it- thats fine, I know that people are going to run into the above issues, and it won't be as fun for them, mainly cause they are just putting skills on their bar and trying to kill creatures and dodging out of teles, and thinking to themselves man this creature is taking awhile to kill, or man there is a lot of downtime before I can pull another pack, and so on and so forth.

Well at like level 3 the game hands the secret to you, it puts it on your bar even. But if you are playing WS like its every other mmo you have for the last I dunno how many years you won't get it immediately. However when things come together at just the right time, there might be a moment of opportunity to quicken the pace.

If you just don't like it, then thats fine- but if you do like it, and are feeling like its slowish, or harder, the combat flow isn't really there, there is opportunity waiting for you here.

• CoffeeBreakCoffeeBreak Member Posts: 236

I do see a lot incoming hate from people who hate having to work for well, anything . That should scare off all the people they don't want in game anyway. 

+1 well said

I have to agree on the hate storm coming we are already seeing most of it from people who LOVE eso ( why are you here posting instead of playing your awesome game?) and yeah I do hope it scares off the people who are used to WoW and getting everything handed to them.

I guess I should cancel my Wildstar preorder.  I keep forgetting that on this site you can't be neutral and must be placed in little hate/fanboy camps.

:( im not trying to show you hate, I was saying i agreed to your post but there are eso fans who try to talk down the game... now ALL eso players :) but its like that in any game. I am sure there are rabid Wildstar fans that do the same

Some of us are an anomaly on this site and can play many types of games.  Many posters here are not mmorpgs fans.  They are fans of their game and everything else is terrible.  I actually know two in real-life.  They are not mmo fans.  They are Everquest fans.  They have put thousands and thousands of hours into Everquest.  They will never play EQ2 or EQN.  They probably don't even know what Wildstar is but if you asked them they'd probably say they hate it.

• ManasongManasong Member Posts: 208

I'm willing to stake that, just like every other recent themepark clone, Wildstar will go F2P in under 6 months and will be gone and forgotten in under 2 years.

I can't believe people are still investing in these kinds of MMOs.

Wildstar also has the added advantage of having a VERY poorly optimised engine wihich will surely turn off a great chunk of its initial potential playerbase.

I really really really .. can't understand how a guy such as the above, is commenting on a themepark.  He's almighty game is.................DarkFall , now go figure it out.

Also, I think he has some memory leak's as no game (subscribed MMO), as far as I remember, has gone F2P in 6 months. 

Now, if you can't believe that people are still investing in those kind of MMO, I really really really can't believe how someone is actually investing time in a game such as DarkFall. 

And then you are talking about optimization , please , tell me .. how well DF was at the beginning? Heck, I still believe that is still has a shity engine. 

Pitty, as you seems to be an elder gamer (based on your registration from this site) , but I think with age, it comes the ... you know, weird ...tastes.

I would also like to point out at those who does not like WS or they believe is a clone, or that X and Y game is better then WS. What are you actually doing here? I never (I believe) , tried a game then come to the forums and start bashing it because I didn't like it. There are many who will enjoy the said game, and no matter what I say, they will still enjoy it.

So why bother?

Fair criticism is very welcome. But please, read few times the "FAIR" word and then you can start posting.

Well, you are one that needs to read the word "FAIR" a few times and then start posting. Your picking on DF just because he made a negative comments is no where near the word "FAIR".

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Originally posted by stayBlind

The graphics and lore and character mannerisms are pretty cool though.

If this is true it already puts it well above games like Rift

Im downloading the beta to check it out.  It looks like it has personality and a craft system thats at least a little beyond simple gather click combine with some decent progression to it.

• MoodsorMoodsor Member UncommonPosts: 712
    I enjoy the humor and the way the characters are built, definatly not as bland as Rift was, I find the game fun for what it is, mainly gonna play it because my real life friends wants to and in the end whats an MMO without community. 

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I just watched about 5 minutes of their stream and i was like,my jaw dropped at how bad that game looks and how unorganized the panel is.

The main guy in the middle doing the talking says they were going to show player made housing and made a point that they were not gm or dev houses,yet the first house they show is the staff member in the panel's house,how sad.

Then when you look at the plot and house,.they are bragging about how great and cool it all looks.Well the ENTIRE screen looks green,i mean even the yellowish grass has a green hue to it, the metal outer walls look green as well,VERY ugly textures and graphics.Then you go inside and there is virtually nothing,a couple ugly looking couches an ugly set of stairs and again they are hyping at how great  the inside of house looks.

Ok we all know it is "their job" to sell this product,but imo if you are going to set up a panel and advertise your  game "DO IT RIGHT" and geesh at least make sure what you are bragging about looks better than utter garbage.

This teams blatant bias is going to kill this game,you can't sell a lemon to everyone.

IDK it might be my age and higher expectations but i cannot see this game as anything more than freeware,it looks that bad.Just because their team says it is great and advertisers say it is great and even other players say it is great,i know what the heck i am looking at,i have been gaming for 30 years.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120

Just a question out of genuine curiosity, which recent MMOs have gone F2P in 6 months, gone in 2 years?

All of them, minus ESO, went Free to Play. Maybe not in 6 months, but that's not really the point of his comment anyway.

I don't care that you have a rich imagination and you to make a "story" out of few word which that .. guy was writing. He clearly said that games have gone F2P in the first 6 months, which is not the case. . And yes, that's the real point of his comment .

Period.

Originally posted by Manasong

Wildstar also has the added advantage of having a VERY poorly optimised engine wihich will surely turn off a great chunk of its initial potential playerbase.

I really really really .. can't understand how a guy such as the above, is commenting on a themepark.  He's almighty game is.................DarkFall , now go figure it out.

Also, I think he has some memory leak's as no game (subscribed MMO), as far as I remember, has gone F2P in 6 months. 

Now, if you can't believe that people are still investing in those kind of MMO, I really really really can't believe how someone is actually investing time in a game such as DarkFall. 

And then you are talking about optimization , please , tell me .. how well DF was at the beginning? Heck, I still believe that is still has a shity engine. 

Pitty, as you seems to be an elder gamer (based on your registration from this site) , but I think with age, it comes the ... you know, weird ...tastes.

I would also like to point out at those who does not like WS or they believe is a clone, or that X and Y game is better then WS. What are you actually doing here? I never (I believe) , tried a game then come to the forums and start bashing it because I didn't like it. There are many who will enjoy the said game, and no matter what I say, they will still enjoy it.

So why bother?

Fair criticism is very welcome. But please, read few times the "FAIR" word and then you can start posting.

Well, you are one that needs to read the word "FAIR" a few times and then start posting. Your picking on DF just because he made a negative comments is no where near the word "FAIR".

What? There is this guy who comes on a game forum and bash the game I like and you want me to be fair with him? 

Nice story bro. When you will see me going to some other game forums and bash a game just because, I want to be the next "cool kid" , you then come to me and talk about FAIR. 

Also, nice "troll searching" on my post. You found what you've been looking for.

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• CryptorCryptor Member UncommonPosts: 523

I find Wildstar to be a deceptively deep game.  A lot of systems, housing at launch, a good crafting system (it really is pretty darn good once you learn it), large number of mounts and mount types at launch, imho very well done PvP that's just fun, so many things to do everywhere it's bound to keep me busy for a long time.

I lasted half a dozen years in WoW and it had a small fraction of stuff that Wildscraft already has on day 1, plus imho Wildstar just looks 1000 time better.  The ambient sounds in Wildstar are also superbly well done.

It really does not matter to me whether Wildstar will or will not be popular.  Imho it's a well crafted and well done game and it will be a pleasure to play for years to come.

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849

+1 well said

Yeah really, What is up with this site. Im having a blast with ESO and just tried the Wildstar Beta and preordered. Maybe im just getting easy to please in my "old age" as i creep in on 40 , i dont know.  I'll probably be playing both games at least through the summer but if Wildstar is as "hardcore" as some are making it sound when it comes to raiding then yeah, I might have to drop ESO, time is limited.

• Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    Originally posted by thunderC

+1 well said

Yeah really, What is up with this site. Im having a blast with ESO and just tried the Wildstar Beta and preordered. Maybe im just getting easy to please in my "old age" as i creep in on 40 , i dont know.  I'll probably be playing both games at least through the summer but if Wildstar is as "hardcore" as some are making it sound when it comes to raiding then yeah, I might have to drop ESO, time is limited.

It's fine. You don't need to take part in raiding. There is content for solo/small groups at elder game, so no worries! Just enjoy the game. 

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

Well tried the beta for a few hours, will try some more, however I can see at this point this game may not be for me, but mainly for a much younger audience imo.

Still, I am looking for that, ahhh, gotcha moment to make me stick with the game. Never say never when it comes to mmo's these days.

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

i agree, some of us just like to game, and there is nothing wrong with liking both ESO and WS.

That being said, Wildstar is deceptively entertaining. There are a lot of systems in place at launch that most games still do not have, including extensive lore, housing, battlegronuds, crafting, etc. And yes the devs confirmed leaderboards will be in place soon, as well as hosted tournaments and other forms of battleground games. Not to mention good old fashion open world pvp on the pvp servers is back for those who had fun during Vanilla WoW.

• BruhzaBruhza Member UncommonPosts: 391
    Originally posted by JR4D

Well tried the beta for a few hours, will try some more, however I can see at this point this game may not be for me, but mainly for a much younger audience imo.

Still, I am looking for that, ahhh, gotcha moment to make me stick with the game. Never say never when it comes to mmo's these days.

This will sound like a broken record....but reach level 20 and complete a dungeon. That was my (and it seems many others)  "Gotcha" moment.

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964
    Originally posted by Bruhza
    Originally posted by JR4D

This will sound like a broken record....but reach level 20 and complete a dungeon. That was my (and it seems many others)  "Gotcha" moment.

Right on image

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    With all the hype I'd hardly call it a sleeper, but I think it'll do all right if they iron out the bugs and performance issues.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• jimmywolfjimmywolf Member UncommonPosts: 292
    Originally posted by Solar_Prophet
    With all the hype I'd hardly call it a sleeper, but I think it'll do all right if they iron out the bugs and performance issues.

+1 agree with this statement they got a solid base game to work with if the keep pushing too make things better i could see it lasting for a while

• ManasongManasong Member Posts: 208

I don't care that you have a rich imagination and you to make a "story" out of few word which that .. guy was writing. He clearly said that games have gone F2P in the first 6 months, which is not the case. . And yes, that's the real point of his comment .

Period.

Originally posted by Manasong

So why bother?

What? There is this guy who comes on a game forum and bash the game I like and you want me to be fair with him? 

Nice story bro. When you will see me going to some other game forums and bash a game just because, I want to be the next "cool kid" , you then come to me and talk about FAIR. 

Also, nice "troll searching" on my post. You found what you've been looking for.

You want everyone to be fair to WS but then you select who you actually want to be fair to, that's hipocrisy.

Its the usual "fanboy vs hater" argument, you don't defeat him by being a dick to him, you defeat him with logic. Or just like most people do you just ignore obvious hater comments.

• RealbigdealRealbigdeal Member UncommonPosts: 1,666
    MMo's nowadays don't give us reason to do anything. Sandbox games on the other hand, everything is important to do including pvp. In sandbox games, you really don't want to die. Even runescape have more meaningful stuff than every single theme park mmo's.

C:\Users\FF\Desktop\spin move.gif

• Vee4240Vee4240 Member UncommonPosts: 42
    Originally posted by Asleep

Wildstar will evade some people, straight up. They won't be able to get over themselves to get into it and have fun. There is an actual line between people who get how to play and those that do not. Not to say people are bad or can't grasp it, cause I have heard the same issues within my guild whom I know can play. But as soon as it clicks the pace changes- it really starts to become more fun, just killing creatures.

I have been re-leveling already have capped chars, to hone in on how I want to go about it, and the first time is so night and day to the second or third time just by understanding how and why the game was designed the way it is. Time and time again I ran into areas I thought were slow, or just boringly grindy or maybe bosses that seemed too difficult where I had to rez again and again to kill- were just a breeze simply cause I knew how to play.

I'm not trying to convince those who don't like it- thats fine, I know that people are going to run into the above issues, and it won't be as fun for them, mainly cause they are just putting skills on their bar and trying to kill creatures and dodging out of teles, and thinking to themselves man this creature is taking awhile to kill, or man there is a lot of downtime before I can pull another pack, and so on and so forth.

Well at like level 3 the game hands the secret to you, it puts it on your bar even. But if you are playing WS like its every other mmo you have for the last I dunno how many years you won't get it immediately. However when things come together at just the right time, there might be a moment of opportunity to quicken the pace.

If you just don't like it, then thats fine- but if you do like it, and are feeling like its slowish, or harder, the combat flow isn't really there, there is opportunity waiting for you here.

This reply folks pretty much sums it up. Competence is so important on so many levels. Blessed are the lucky few that got that 'click' you are referring to early on in closed beta. I tend to notice that the people Im playing W* with are more competent on an entirely different level than others that I game with and don't care for it. They played it like it was some run-of-the-mill rpg that you can just aimlessly wonder through and auto-beat. They were more frustrated that they didn't get it rather than gfxs, quests, action combat, etc etc. 

Your explanation was really insightful. Thanks man. 

• Vee4240Vee4240 Member UncommonPosts: 42
    Originally posted by Wizardry

I just watched about 5 minutes of their stream and i was like,my jaw dropped at how bad that game looks and how unorganized the panel is.

The main guy in the middle doing the talking says they were going to show player made housing and made a point that they were not gm or dev houses,yet the first house they show is the staff member in the panel's house,how sad.

Then when you look at the plot and house,.they are bragging about how great and cool it all looks.Well the ENTIRE screen looks green,i mean even the yellowish grass has a green hue to it, the metal outer walls look green as well,VERY ugly textures and graphics.Then you go inside and there is virtually nothing,a couple ugly looking couches an ugly set of stairs and again they are hyping at how great  the inside of house looks.

Ok we all know it is "their job" to sell this product,but imo if you are going to set up a panel and advertise your  game "DO IT RIGHT" and geesh at least make sure what you are bragging about looks better than utter garbage.

This teams blatant bias is going to kill this game,you can't sell a lemon to everyone.

IDK it might be my age and higher expectations but i cannot see this game as anything more than freeware,it looks that bad.Just because their team says it is great and advertisers say it is great and even other players say it is great,i know what the heck i am looking at,i have been gaming for 30 years.

And Ive been working for 10 years, but that doesnt mean I can fly a rocket to the moon. Yadda yadda yadda. BUT can you freaking play it and be good at it? So concerned with eye candy but not enough with putting your 30 years to good use. If you are/or have been a fan or MMOS for that long, get in the game and prove it to the masses. 

Im not trying to come at you. But Those are some of the worst reasons for not playing a game. People still play AC and UO and are having fun! 

• BruhzaBruhza Member UncommonPosts: 391
    Originally posted by Vee4240
    Originally posted by Asleep

This reply folks pretty much sums it up. Competence is so important on so many levels. Blessed are the lucky few that got that 'click' you are referring to early on in closed beta. I tend to notice that the people Im playing W* with are more competent on an entirely different level than others that I game with and don't care for it. They played it like it was some run-of-the-mill rpg that you can just aimlessly wonder through and auto-beat. They were more frustrated that they didn't get it rather than gfxs, quests, action combat, etc etc. 

Your explanation was really insightful. Thanks man. 

Dare I say this is one of the most relaxing MMOs I've played, not because its easy, but because its fun. I forgot what fun felt like...

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    After playing this game in beta, I am think you had it partially right.  It will be a sleeper.  I just don't see the hit part.