Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Very solid game.Trying to understand the negativity compared to a game like Final Fantasy

Comments

• JoyEnergiserJoyEnergiser Member Posts: 24
    Originally posted by Laughing-man

honestly, I'm impressed people still put up with ESO after all the crap.

I mean the support is horrible, they literally don't listen at all, worst in the biz, I've even linked examples in these forums.  Literally reply with a predesignated response that doesn't even relate to your problem.

There is rampant item duping, they've had horrible problems with the game since day one.

Compare this to Final Fantasy 14?  

yeah Final Fantasy 14 1.0  it also didn't have an Auction house, and a lot of the other 'cutting edge features' that ESO offers, both are train wrecks.  Thankfully FF14 rebirthed itself and made a decent game.

Time for ESO to do the same.

Wow, so tired of ignorant forum warriors.ESO doesn't have an auction house ON PURPOSE.It has guild stores so that......god i'm not even gonna explain that to you.

The duping was fixed within days, your whole argument is about bugs that are fixed within days.Are you gonna tell me that wow and many other MMO's were bug free ?

Please get a clue

• ZizouXZizouX Member Posts: 670
    Originally posted by amber-r
    Originally posted by ZizouX
    I will make sure to send you a pm when SE releases its quarterly financial report in May

PM me the last financial report where they refused to give any figures at all (since it wasn't doing well).

First financial report they put lots of information out because it was doing decently, once they saw the massive player drops they refused to give any more information in the second financial report.  Why will the 3rd be any different?

Last financial report.  They credited FFXIV for taking SE from financial losses to financial gains.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/02/05/square-enix-financials-cast-final-fantasy-14-as-saviour

Don't let facts get in the way of your opinion.

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by keithian

On metacritic, forum goers here and elsewhere, this game is getting a love it or hate it reception. Very little in between. I love the game and will continue playing it for at least a few months, maybe more depending on the future content releases and bug fixes. I'm having trouble understanding why a game like Final Fantasy which has much smaller zones even splitting cities into pieces, a less active old school combat system, no voiceovers with walls of text, less options with regard to the PVP/PVE experience this game offers, more grindy quests than this game has, much more grinding of Fates compared to Anchors just to get XP, an even more static world, worse crafting, lack of a Mod community like ESO has, etc etc etc got such high scores when in my mind ESO offers so much more. I mean I thought Final Fantasy was a solid game for an MMO, but I stopped playing because I have just done enough of the explanation point hub stuff with very little pure exploration which ESO does much better.

WHY I ASK YOU!!!! lol If ESO re-releases a 2nd time showing an improvement, do they all of a sudden get 10 scores just for showing improvement? lol The world of ratings makes no sense to me and every game seems to be held to a completely different standard. It's exactly why I think all reviews are worthless except my own opinion of the game when I play it.

Because it's the cool thing for e-hipsters to hate on at the moment. In a couple of months it will be WS, then ArcheAge, etc. etc. It's a never ending hate train on forums these days :)

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• JacobinJacobin Member RarePosts: 1,009

Its not hard to figure out. ESO had a ton of negative publicity right before release because they went back on a lot of their promises in order to sell pre-orders.

A lot of people are angry about charging for the imperial race and allowing any race any faction which breaks the lore so they left negative reviews.

• HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    Originally posted by Nihilist

Its not hard to figure out. ESO had a ton of negative publicity right before release because they went back on a lot of their promises in order to sell pre-orders.

A lot of people are angry about charging for the imperial race and allowing any race any faction which breaks the lore so they left negative reviews.

Think it's that straight forward tbh. Also factor many people were expecting another top notch TES game. Even if it's changing to a new area. it's still got standards to meet.

When transferring one type of entertainment to another is always a risk, Book to film, cartoon to live action, game to film, film to game and single player to multiplayer. It can go either way, because you're going have to meet the expectations of the fans in the original  market and those in the new, there is no room for slacking or half assing it, you have to give it your all and make sure everything is bang on, but it seems from all the reactions i've seen, Eso didn't really pull through for quite a lot of people unfortunately :( 

• EhllfhireEhllfhire Member UncommonPosts: 633
    Most of the negativity is aimed at Zenimax's customer service. I still have no answer to my email and phone ticket for a wrongful ban from the game for my first forum infraction (I made a L2P statement that someone reported). There are many who also have been wrongly banned still waiting 6 days later!

Any graphical, audio, or gameplay restrictions not seen in other mmos but found in FFXIV can be blamed on one thing.
    PS3

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Let me make this simple for everyone. There is more people who like the game than dislike the game. Over and out!
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• EhllfhireEhllfhire Member UncommonPosts: 633
    Originally posted by Betaguy
    Let me make this simple for everyone. There is more people who like the game than dislike the game. Over and out!

How long will that last when they keep banning innocent players? I love the game but Im floored by the absolute callous disregard to their customers.

Any graphical, audio, or gameplay restrictions not seen in other mmos but found in FFXIV can be blamed on one thing.
    PS3

• DataDayDataDay Member UncommonPosts: 1,538

How can you objectively prove this? Sounds more like you have a confirmation bias. (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias )

One also has to take into account that likes and dislikes are not constant, but can change over time. Once the launch period is over, you will generally see the likes vs the dislikes in the drop in subs + commentary.

• insanexinsanex Member Posts: 145

While I haven't read this entire thread, I think that I can offer some semblance of reasoning for the OP's statements, plus a couple of my own.

For background, I played in two of the closed beta weekends and put probably 4-6 hours into the game before launch. Not much I know, but I'm a pretty seasoned MMO-er as I've been playing since Asheron's Call and EQ days.

So here we go:

Someone mentioned that because this is a TES game (regardless of whether MMO or SP) there was and is a level of expectation of quality and immersion. I can say first hand I just didn't get that good old TES feel. The combat was more action-oriented than the average WoW clone, but still not as good as GW2 or even TSW, IMO. The quests had a decent amount of backstory but I just never got the TES5 or TES4 feeling. Some might argue that expecting SP attributes from an MMO is irrational, but hey, it's a TES game! I want my sandbox and storyline, durn it. Probably the biggest issue with TESO, again IMO, is not that they tried to blend the classic TES gameplay with an MMO. No, it's that it seems they spent so much time on the lore and story (which aren't bad on their own) instead of innovating in the MMO mechanics department (which a TES game gave them ample opportunity for). Then they slapped on the usual MMO mechanics and said "Hey, it's a TES MMO!" That caused a lot of angst in the community during beta and after launch, I think.

So that's my basic opinion of TESO, from what I've played, and I think those basic reasons are why we've heard the negative remarks across the interwebs about it. Now the OP said he/she likes it and while I don't agree with demonizing a game to bolster one's feelings on another game, I think the OP was simply trying to draw contrast by using both his/her own opinions along with what he/she has read regarding both games. I totally agree with the "If you like it, it's good for you" statement. I don't know how many of you remember it, but a few years ago NCSoft came out with a game called Dungeon Runners. It was very basic in mechanics and game play, but I LOVED it. My brother actually hit level 100 (max) on it. I had more fun in that game than I can express. It was awesome. For the hard core MMO player, it was basically a hack 'n slash Diablo clone with a different camera perspective so most of them probably wouldn't have given it a second glance. It didn't sell millions of copies. It wasn't front page news. But I was so sad when they canceled it because I would still be playing it now. I liked it that much. But I don't need to say some other MMO is terrible to express my enjoyment in that game. So OP, hey, if you like TESO, play it! Support the company! But don't put out negativity on another game in comparison. That just undermines the legitimacy of your own claims on how great TESO is.

My last point is simply that I wish there was less vitriol in the sorts of discussions - ones dealing with personal opinions about different games. You don't have to defend yourself, your like for a game that was put in a bad light, or attack the person who said it. If you like FFO, great, play it! Like it! But the aggressive comments that attack someone else's comments doesn't help. It just puts you in the same category. Plus I think a lot of comments are put in ignorantly. At least it sounds like the OP played FFO, though.

At the end of the day you will be at home by yourself or with friends and family and you will play what you like. But just because someone else doesn't play or like what you play is no cause for aggressive comments. I remember when there was more camaraderie between gamers. I often miss the old days, back when I played EQ and AC.

Sigh. Sometimes the nostalgia gets to me. I miss simpler times.

Cheers,

insanex

• Kayo45Kayo45 Member Posts: 293

LOL! One of the most unanimously disappointing AAA MMOs, with thee worst most unreasonably unprepared launch in the last decade, is the first MMO in that last decade to actually have more players who like the game than not. Let me guess, you have no evidence? lol

I know youre probably just trolling for replies but this is just too funny.

• vandal5627vandal5627 Member UncommonPosts: 788
    OP, you gotta be kidding right? Tthere's negativity in every single game in every single forum.  There will always be people that will dislike what you like.  You just feel it more because you happen to like ESO more.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Does not sound like the OP want to "understand" as much as give his point of view how it is.

If you want to understand then I think it is pretty simple. A lot of people came expecting an Elder Scrolls game but instead got the run of the mill theme park MMO which even for people not expecting an Elder Scrolls game is getting old.

Add box price, subscription and paywalls to that and you got a recipe for disaster or at least a lot of unsatisifed customers.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    Originally posted by Scot

"Infinite load screens

unusable siege equipment

unusable forward camps

falling through world

guild bank duplication

hireling duplication

countless broken quests; especially later in levels.

Weapon swap broken

Hot-Keys broken

Jumping over logs launches you into the air

Knocking back a player with a bow can randomly send you into a load screen

Unable to invite to parties

Inviting players to a raid of 4+ groups can cause fellow party members to crash

Random disconnects

Network I/O error

Memory Leaks

Gold vanishing

Alliance Points vanishing

WASD movement not working

Stuck as detected while in stealth

Dungeon bosses not resetting if you wipe"

I have had slow loading screens, a couple of random disconnections, once had to reform a party as we could not invite forth guy.

The average experience of players is not that they experience every bug anyone has ever found in the game. :)

I got stuck in loading screen one day. Also my character has gotten stuck in a swinging animation couple of times after the fight ends for a few seconds. Cant think of anything else atm, no wait, I was doing a quest on storm haven in a dungeon and the mobs spawned very slowly, so had to spend there about 15 extra minutes because I wanted to finish it.

Not much to complaint, but if someone is truly having a huge list of trouble I can see why they would be annoyed.

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944

both games i dont like them ...

but anyway i dont think i heared so many issues (except the huge downtime) for bugs or wrong mechanics (like trading, or broken charges on credit cards..) thats why it scored much lower the ESO ...

• lootzehlootzeh Member Posts: 2

Comparing these 2 games is a special olympics, It achieves nothing. They both have completely horrendous faults, that is which of content, mechanics. ESO Beta level achieved *5* and that was enough for me to go , no way no thanks. I've had many mates buy it and stop playing it within the week. ESO was rushed for the price you pay. One thing you can count on is Wildstar doing it RIGHT. The content is also much harder, with a more rewarding feeling, the wildstar Devs also communicate better with their community. Don't get me wrong ESO has some great minor things going *lack luster of it though*, but being a gw2 Ui + feel + everything was bloody gw2 down to rolling with 2 action bars for specs etc / talents bla bla, it certainly turned me off .

Final fantasy at least had some originality.

ty.

• WolfsheadWolfshead Member UncommonPosts: 224

But you cant compare game with each other if compare a new mmo with old mmo that have been our for 8 month or 10 year ofc the old mmo game will get high score for the fix all there "children's disease" mean bugs and so on.

I don't get why people keep compare ESO with other mmo out ofc people always have problem with new mmo but in Few month everyone is go to whine how bad WildStar it is nature of humans but in all honest ESO is one of the better mmo out on market today that is what i think.

WildStar atm in the beta is not even close to being playable i have never see a beta with so many bug and problem then WildStar have atm and go live in 5 weeks.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Both have terrible themepark quest grinds, but hey this is the era of the terrible thempark quest grinds. ESO has damn good combat, character development and pvp though.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by Yamota

Does not sound like the OP want to "understand" as much as give his point of view how it is.

If you want to understand then I think it is pretty simple. A lot of people came expecting an Elder Scrolls game but instead got the run of the mill theme park MMO which even for people not expecting an Elder Scrolls game is getting old.

Add box price, subscription and paywalls to that and you got a recipe for disaster or at least a lot of unsatisifed customers.

This.

+1

• ZizouXZizouX Member Posts: 670

Sorry to Necro this thread, but I promised I would return as soon as SE's financial forecasts were released.

I said that FFXIV is going strong after 9 months of release and there is no indication it will ever go Free to Play.   This game is one of the few P2P games that will stay P2P for the forseeable future.

Many of you disagreed stating that FFXIV was"dying" and it was a matter of time before it goes free to play.

Here, you go.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/05/09/square-enix-boosts-financial-forecast-following-favourable-sales

• GravehillGravehill Member Posts: 95
    Originally posted by ZizouX

Sorry to Necro this thread, but I promised I would return as soon as SE's financial forecasts were released.

I said that FFXIV is going strong after 9 months of release and there is no indication it will ever go Free to Play.   This game is one of the few P2P games that will stay P2P for the forseeable future.

Many of you disagreed stating that FFXIV was"dying" and it was a matter of time before it goes free to play.

Here, you go.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/05/09/square-enix-boosts-financial-forecast-following-favourable-sales

Yup, and people are still going to pretend that the game is dying. Wait until the expansion comes out and everyone starts claiming "f2p in 6 months!!!11" again

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

How dare you inject some reality into this forum ZizouX! They all know TESO is not selling well because they don't like it. :D

"Not much to complaint, but if someone is truly having a huge list of trouble I can see why they would be annoyed."

Thing is Kuinn, I don't believe anyone is suffering or has suffered from that many bugs on such a regular basis. I have spoken to a lot of players, even on zone chat and no one sees twenty+ different bugs a day. Things were worse at launch and even then it was not that bad.

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Skyrim Online is what many people were expecting, they got a mediocre MMO with an ES skin. Many people are NOT at all happy with this. They used the IP, making for a lot of unhappy customers.

imageimage