Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So What Classes are You Playing as Your Main ?

MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

I am curious what the class breakdown is of this game and decided to see what people have chosen for their main or favorite character. What prompted me to ask this question was going into some coop games at T1 level and noticing a really large number of Wizards. So what are you guys mainly playing?

I am playing a Witch Doctor as my main class. I played classic D3 originally with a WD too, took a pause and completed RoS with a Wizard first then went back to a WD and there I still am.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

Comments

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    I always play a wiz main, and i also notice many wizzies in co-op games.
  • MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

Did you play a Sorceress in D2 too (if you played D2 that is)?

I find the Wizzy to be really versatile, especially with the class changes. Maybe that is one reason that people like to choose it, and some great build possibilities. The WD is flexible too, though you can't vary its playstyle quite as much as with a Wiz.

I hope more people respond soon.

• KanesterKanester Member UncommonPosts: 375
    I got d3 at launch but never played it passed the 1st few tasks, i was board this week so fired it up and im having a blast, im playing a demonhunter, good fun, im still on normal mode.
    What i want to ask is what keeps you playing the game? After i complete the story i cant see myself playing the harder modes. I can understand grinding gear in an mmo not a single player game, am i missing something?
    Originally posted by MurlockDance

Did you play a Sorceress in D2 too (if you played D2 that is)?

I find the Wizzy to be really versatile, especially with the class changes. Maybe that is one reason that people like to choose it, and some great build possibilities. The WD is flexible too, though you can't vary its playstyle quite as much as with a Wiz.

I hope more people respond soon.

No .. i play a necro in D2. The reason is that i seldom play female characters. Don't fit my idea of what my toon should be like.

Originally posted by Kanester
    I got d3 at launch but never played it passed the 1st few tasks, i was board this week so fired it up and im having a blast, im playing a demonhunter, good fun, im still on normal mode.
    What i want to ask is what keeps you playing the game? After i complete the story i cant see myself playing the harder modes. I can understand grinding gear in an mmo not a single player game, am i missing something?

Random dungeons (i.e. adventure mode + rift).

Why it is fun?

- each class & build is a different style. I experiment with builds quite a bit, and now it is even more fun because builds is gear dependent.

- loot, upgrade + new loot = exploring new builds.

- combat is fun, tactical and can be challenging (if you up the difficulty)

Basically this is an infinite progression game with fun game.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    I am still not playing, untill they offer me both the game and the expansion in a bundle at an acceptable price

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• Instigator-JonesInstigator-Jones Member UncommonPosts: 530
    I have a Barb, Crusader, and WD to 70... Can't decide which I like best... They all play differently and they're all a blast to play. 
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    My first D3 toon was a WD.  There is just something baddass about making it rain frogs plus it's the closest thing to my beloved Necro from D2.  (Sigh) I still miss my Spear Mercenary with his Thorns aura on all my minions.  That was insanely nomnom!

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

Originally posted by Instigator-Jones
    I have a Barb, Crusader, and WD to 70... Can't decide which I like best... They all play differently and they're all a blast to play. 

I have a Crusader, Wiz and WD to 70 ... eventually i will have all classes to 70. That is the strength of the game. If you are bored with one class, play another .. it is almost another game.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    That's wonderful of you to share but has nothing to do with the question. Wizard here, damn addicted to slamming meteors :)

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

Originally posted by Bladestrom
    That's wonderful of you to share but has nothing to do with the question. Wizard here, damn addicted to slamming meteors :)

I switched from a meteor build to a disintegrate build because i found a wand with +29% disintegration damage (too big to ignore).

And i miss meteor .. may be i should go back for a while anyway .....

No .. i play a necro in D2. The reason is that i seldom play female characters. Don't fit my idea of what my toon should be like.

I know of quite a few people who find playing the opposite gender to be a block for them. I usually make either depending on what I want to play, but sometimes opt for playing only male or female depending on what the characters look like in games. I am opposed to the scantily clad female character type, so in those games I play only male characters.

Thank goodness for non gender-locked classes!

Originally posted by Kanester

What keeps me playing the game is going into higher difficulties and trying to beat them with better gear and template builds. There is a lot of variation in difficulty in D3 now, even on top of the difficulties you get to choose from the outset of the game.

Let me explain, Act 1 is the easiest act, whereas Act 5 is pretty rough due to what abilities the mobs have. I am sure you have seen this yourself so not going to go into that any further.

Once you hit max level, all elites and bosses have the same amount of prefixes and suffixes, so their increased difficulty is random and depends on the combinations of prefixes and suffixes you have. Some of them have really nasty combinations that make it a rough ride to beat them.

Some bounties are harder to complete than others. Some cursed chests are relatively easy to successfully do. Then you have the division between bounties and rifts. Rifts are the harder of the two in general because you can accidently pull many elite packs and bosses all at the same time. Mobs are also packed much larger in rifts and often times it is usual to see the sort of map that makes things like arcane enchanted mobs deeply unpleasant to deal with. A big goal would be to complete T5 in hardcore with all characters

So in other words, it is trying to complete the harder modes and for that you need gear. If you are just in it to see the story, then I can understand your reticence to play beyond the campaign, but there are also the other classes to take through the story. Each class is pretty unique in how it plays so there is at least that for replay value for you. Then there is of course hardcore vs. softcore.

Originally posted by kairel182
    The uninstall button ended up being my main.  The 2-3 week initial release wore off quickly with the same problems being ultimately unfixed and the RNG grind being far too out of whack.

The only problem that they have not fixed in my eyes is the one about having to be online to play the game. For me that is an issue since I am often travelling on trains and would love to fire me up a good game of D3. Dongles won't do it because the connection is a little too iffy.

The RNG is actually just fine now. No, you don't constantly get great drops, especially once you hit have level 70 and have acquired a certain amount of moderately good gear before going to Torment levels. But it should be that way because the devs are trying to get you to try Torment levels. If they just handed out the best gear all of the time, what would be the point of playing it beyond the first few runs?

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

The loot drop changes with RoS are absolutely awesome. You regularly get stuff you can use for your character which is great.

I feel Wizards are easily the most played (easiest to do well with), with Barbs a close second. My main is a Demon Hunter and my alt is a Monk. My monk's damage is depressing so I don't use him too often.

I was leveling a Wizard with my friend's Barb before he stopped playing and I wandered into Tera.

We'll probably get back into it soon, but I don't want to burn out before he starts playing again. I like my Demon Hunter.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

My main in the original D3 was a witch doctor cause I thought it would play like a necromancer. My main now is......Wizard ;D They gave us back some of my favourite spells from Diablo 2, namely Frozen orb! I just can't get enough of spmmng Frozen orb.

Surprisingly my mains in D2 were sorcereress and necro. I had like 10-15 chars of each of them :D Although I used WW assassin a lot for PvPing.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• megaraxmegarax Member UncommonPosts: 269
    Bought the expansion and tried the Crusader and I still play him.
  • syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378
    Originally posted by kairel182
    The uninstall button ended up being my main.  The 2-3 week initial release wore off quickly with the same problems being ultimately unfixed and the RNG grind being far too out of whack.

The only problem that they have not fixed in my eyes is the one about having to be online to play the game. For me that is an issue since I am often travelling on trains and would love to fire me up a good game of D3. Dongles won't do it because the connection is a little too iffy.

The RNG is actually just fine now. No, you don't constantly get great drops, especially once you hit have level 70 and have acquired a certain amount of moderately good gear before going to Torment levels. But it should be that way because the devs are trying to get you to try Torment levels. If they just handed out the best gear all of the time, what would be the point of playing it beyond the first few runs?

I am playing a Monk because I prefer not to be a glass cannon.  I know certain builds with certain legendary items can be very good at not dying, but the RNG is not reliable enough to hope for a certain drop.

I think Kairel was referring to the lack of upgrades once you get into Torment.  I'm at the point now where no yellow item will be an upgrade for me.  I've gone through about two thousand blood shards trying to find a better yellow item.  Legendaries are the only thing left, and the devs have said they set the RNG to drop them only every 45 to 90 minutes.  Too many legendaries don't have stats I want or are completely useless to me, like two-handed weapons.  Farming for hours when I know the system is rigged feels like a waste of time.

The game was fun, but going past Torment 1 seems like an attraction only for those who truly enjoy grinding in games.  If they could make boss fights challenging and make them drop at least one legendary, I might play it again.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Wizard. Leveled up a crusader to max level pretty much the first few hours of the class becoming available. But wiz is still my main.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Monk was my main but until they fix RNG or implement some way to actually get upgrades that are warranted and needed then I quit.  Reason my clan calls me the King of Rings.  I've gotten every single crappy legendary ring multiple times and am still sporting horrendous body armor because the RNG gods refuse to give me an upgrade in Belt, Body, Boots and Gloves.  Hell I have never seen an Unity Ring, Stone of Jordon or Ring of Grandeur but I've gotten like 21 freaking Bul-Kathos and 17 or so Stolen Rings.  First time the legendary threshold is reached for me the previous 2 weeks was always a ring of crap.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

Originally posted by azzamasin
    Monk was my main but until they fix RNG or implement some way to actually get upgrades that are warranted and needed then I quit.  Reason my clan calls me the King of Rings.  I've gotten every single crappy legendary ring multiple times and am still sporting horrendous body armor because the RNG gods refuse to give me an upgrade in Belt, Body, Boots and Gloves.  Hell I have never seen an Unity Ring, Stone of Jordon or Ring of Grandeur but I've gotten like 21 freaking Bul-Kathos and 17 or so Stolen Rings.  First time the legendary threshold is reached for me the previous 2 weeks was always a ring of crap.

well .. RNG is just that ... random.

I got lots of crappy leg too ... but .... are you crafting and using the mystic? You can craft again and again for the same item until you get a good roll. That takes mat that comes from leg. So even crappy leg items are useful.

The mystic also requires that.

Originally posted by syntax42

I am playing a Monk because I prefer not to be a glass cannon.  I know certain builds with certain legendary items can be very good at not dying, but the RNG is not reliable enough to hope for a certain drop.

I think Kairel was referring to the lack of upgrades once you get into Torment.  I'm at the point now where no yellow item will be an upgrade for me.  I've gone through about two thousand blood shards trying to find a better yellow item.  Legendaries are the only thing left, and the devs have said they set the RNG to drop them only every 45 to 90 minutes.  Too many legendaries don't have stats I want or are completely useless to me, like two-handed weapons.  Farming for hours when I know the system is rigged feels like a waste of time.

The game was fun, but going past Torment 1 seems like an attraction only for those who truly enjoy grinding in games.  If they could make boss fights challenging and make them drop at least one legendary, I might play it again.

I am at that point too in the sense that it is very rare, as in I have to play 10 games, to find a rare that can squeek out a tiny bit of advantage over what I currently have on. It was easy to get to my current point though. It took only a few games to find a good variety of legs and rares that I like using once I hit 70.

Mastering the gear at level 70 is the tough part, and that is ok in my eyes. This is no different from playing D2 except now rather than doing the same three or four runs in Hell mode, you can do runs in more ways and in different places. It breaks down the monotony of running. Yes there is grind involved, but all of these dungeon crawl games are like that.

I am not saying the system is perfect, but it is pretty good. Do I think they could speed up the process of getting good drops in Torment? Yes. I also think that they should do something to make Master difficulty viable because at the moment I do not see much point in doing it at all, especially in comparison to Expert difficulty.

I have not found a great leg in Torment yet, but I have found some class-based set items, leg crafting materials and plans a bit more easily than in Expert. I also got a couple of decent legendaries off the bloodshard lady.

I got lots of crappy leg too ... but .... are you crafting and using the mystic? You can craft again and again for the same item until you get a good roll. That takes mat that comes from leg. So even crappy leg items are useful.

This is an important point. I feel very much that the emphasis in D3 is slightly different from D2. In D2 it was mainly about uniques and some set items. You could craft or try to farm for runewords, but some runes were so rare that it was virtually impossible to get them.

In D3 you can acquire gear from various different means including especially crafting. I think part of the hunt for ubers is not just getting the already-made leg's, but really it is about blueprints and crafting materials. I have made a couple items that were better than anything I found for those slots, for example, I made a really decent legendary belt that so far I have not found a replacement for. Enchantment is another way of tweeking your gear.

And let's not forget gems. Seeing as gems are so expensive, I find that I do a lot of Normal runs just to get quick cash in order to make bigger and better gems. I didn't care that much about gems in D2. Sure they were nice, but usually not an integral part of my gear set up. Gems are far more important now because the better quality level 70 gear is hard to come by.

It looks like people here prefer Barbarians and Wizards with Monks and Witch Doctors being the least chosen for mains. The latter suprises me because the WD is an extremely viable class. I find my WD to be just as powerful as my Wizzy. I am not surprised that Barbs are popular since it was a very much loved class from D2.

This is an important point. I feel very much that the emphasis in D3 is slightly different from D2. In D2 it was mainly about uniques and some set items. You could craft or try to farm for runewords, but some runes were so rare that it was virtually impossible to get them.

In D3 you can acquire gear from various different means including especially crafting. I think part of the hunt for ubers is not just getting the already-made leg's, but really it is about blueprints and crafting materials. I have made a couple items that were better than anything I found for those slots, for example, I made a really decent legendary belt that so far I have not found a replacement for. Enchantment is another way of tweeking your gear.

And let's not forget gems. Seeing as gems are so expensive, I find that I do a lot of Normal runs just to get quick cash in order to make bigger and better gems. I didn't care that much about gems in D2. Sure they were nice, but usually not an integral part of my gear set up. Gems are far more important now because the better quality level 70 gear is hard to come by.

Very much so. It is nice that they have the two systems. Drops can have better stuff but you have no control while crafting leg have some control. You can also farm the mat with purpose.

In term of gems, for me, is to get enough raw mat (maquise gems). I have 330m or so gold before ros (sold all my best stuff for $$ and gold when ros was announced) so i have enough for making better gems. So far im only down to 280m.