Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WildStar: "Jump Into Beta To Prove Us Wrong"

Comments

• Moxom914Moxom914 Member RarePosts: 731

Originally posted by MeridiasBeacon
    meh, every time i check this game I always end up asking myself why I don't play WoW instead

because it isnt wow

Originally posted by Byrhofen
    “Best Housing of any MMO, ever,” Matt Mocarski - SWG did it better.     “We are the first ever MMO to do mount customizations (we have hoverboards in the game if you didn’t know),” Matt Mocarski - SWG had this feature.....   Still the best thing that can be said about Wildstar, is that its ok.

how did galaxies do it better?
    how did galaxies have mount customization?

Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by Prhyme Originally posted by Volgore Originally posted by Prhyme Originally posted by Grakulen Originally posted by DMKano Those statements reek of attention seeking and desperation. When you are best at something there is no need to say it, as people are going to talk about it. On the other hand whenever a product claims to be best...... almost never the case.  
    I couldn't agree more.   That said. The three things they have done best (in the game, not the genre) IMO are: Housing, Crafting, and Adventures I'm not a fan of their dungeons. Not at all.   For the record: A tough guy doesn't have to tell you he is tough. You can just look at them and know.
    Ah, yes so studios should just make their games and not talk about how good it is - just let the gamers randomly download and decide for themselves.  OR, perhaps it's the real devs (those aren't community or marketing peeps) that actually think they've made something good. Of course, it's terrible that they actually talk about it on a live stream. Shame on them, right? In addition, they told people not to just take their word for it and download it (hence the title of this article?). 
    When Rift launched, this site cheered upon "we're not in Azeroth anymore". When MoP was close to launch, this site cheered upon Trion releasing the panda mount and other desperate attention seeking marketing stunts like or the Panda http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lsj-A6xltmU ad clip. Even when the game failed, the F2P ad was the best thing ever. Carbine hasn't nearly pumped as much ad money into this site as Trion has. When Carbine stirs up some close to launch-talk by saying they have the "best damn game" it gets frowned upon even by this site's staff.
    I couldn't agree more. I'm especially disappointed that a certain person would bash a studio for being proud and excited about their game considering this entire site is paid for by games that do the same thing in their ads. OH, except Donatelli and Moore were talking off the cuff on a live stream - where's the bashing of Dave Georgeson from all of the bold statement's he's made on his streams? He's made some huge statements about how revolutionary SOE's products are ... can't find the diatribes against him anywhere here. Basically what's happening is that some folks are simply looking for another reason to bash the game, which is fine - to each his own, right? WildStar is an easy target, which is fine. People can think what they want about the game but ripping them because they love their game is just grasping at straws at this point.  
    You are failing to grasp the difference between delusion (claiming to be best at all of these different things) and being proud and excited about your own product.

If you are proud and excited you would say - our combat is awesome, our raids are super complex and fun etc....

Trions claim about not being in Azeroth is silly, same with panda its dumb.

If Trion had ads claimed they were the best in every category - they would be ridiculed too.

The issue is not that there is a conspiracy against Carbine - the issue is what they are claiming is BS and people are calling them out.

Nobody likes a pompous dude proclaiming their kid is the best at everything.

especially when the pompous dude is right:)

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

will mmorpg miss my comments after June 3rd?

as i will be too involved in Wildstar to really care about any other upcoming mmos till late 2015 when 'crusader' comes out.

i wont be looking for the 'next big mmo'  nor caring about any other mmos stories or comments.

• blazehammerblazehammer Member UncommonPosts: 20
    Lol! I had to login just to say, the game is Terrible! Played it some months ago and it's more of the same, but worst... Sorry fanboys, but i'ts my opinion. And to me it's a shame for "professionals" to act as they are doing. Will not play it even if (or when) it go free to play.
  • NephelaiNephelai Member UncommonPosts: 185
    They sent me a beta key via email and I enjoyed the weekend. The next weekend I was told I had to go beg a key from one of the many gaming review sites. They lost me at stupid.
  • PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844
    • “We are the first ever MMO to do mount customizations (we have hoverboards in the game if you didn’t know),” Matt Mocarski

http://www.ao-universe.com/index.php?id=14&pid=157

http://www.ao-universe.com/index.php?id=14&pid=63

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

• BillSussmanBillSussman Member Posts: 42
    Its 2014. ESO ran their BETA optimized. Heck the only time it would start dropping FPS is when theres hundreds of people in CRYODIIL going at it. Why the hell can't WILDSTAR do the same? I would be pretty darn worried if i pre ordered WILDSTAR. I will be really surprised if its optimized by release date. Anyway no problem for me, no money wasted :)
  • MavolenceMavolence Member UncommonPosts: 635
    Originally posted by moosecatlol
    "First MMO to do mount customization" Yeah, that's not even remotely true.

Thank you! I saw this and just stopped and re read it a few times and just laughed to myself. This line they say pretty much invalidates any other opinions they make on their own game. Just shows they don't have much knowledge of other mmorpgs and if thats the case how can they make any kind of good judgement on their own mmorpg. Bunch of uninformed arrogance

• derek39derek39 Member UncommonPosts: 265
    id enjoy it if my fps wasnt bouncing all over the place.....

Monster Hunter since '04!
    Currently playing: MHW & MHGU

• HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993

Man people really need to read through the comments lol anyway

You are failing to grasp the difference between delusion (claiming to be best at all of these different things) and being proud and excited about your own product.

If you are proud and excited you would say - our combat is awesome, our raids are super complex and fun etc....

Trions claim about not being in Azeroth is silly, same with panda its dumb.

If Trion had ads claimed they were the best in every category - they would be ridiculed too.

The issue is not that there is a conspiracy against Carbine - the issue is what they are claiming is BS and people are calling them out.

Nobody likes a pompous dude proclaiming their kid is the best at everything.

While i agree, it's not a conspiracy, people seem to have jumped the gun. This is stream to hype up the fanbase, not for the majority here who are not interested .  he even says at 1 min (knew people would skip the post) This stream is really for those who are fans of Wildstar and have not heard anything about the game"

You can't really call them out on something thats not even directed at those not interested, because of course this game won't be the best they played this year, but for fan it most likely will be. They're not trying to lure those who have already made their minds up not to play with this.

I'm not trying to defend or anything, because i made the same judgement with my first post in this thread, but when i actually watched the video (which i guess a lot of people didn't do) it made a lot more sense, because people will say anything to their already established fans to hype them up, which is fine.  I can watch it and disagree, but i can't really comment because it's not a stream directed at me lol.

It's kind of like trying raise an argument with someone who wasn't even talking to you in the first place :/

But of course if you are fan, then it's a different story :P

• PigozzPigozz Member UncommonPosts: 886

Wow

Even MMO junkies here arent riding the hypewagon they're trying to launch...thats higly unusual

Pretty much everytime theres a new MMO coming it has its zelaous fans here defending every feature f the game

What I see about WS is basicly - Yeah the game is kinda fun..

I smell a fail so insignificant to anyone outside of this forum noone will even hear about it

I think I actually spent way more time reading and theorycrafting about MMOs than playing them

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Afaik this is typical "Wildstar" style. It's whacky, over-the-top and very tongue-in-cheek. I loved their short promo videos during the last year, and this simply looks like an attempt at more of the same. Mebbe it falls a bit flat when the devs do it, but I'm not taking any of it seriously.

Originally posted by Pigozz
    WowEven MMO junkies here arent riding the hypewagon they're trying to launch...thats higly unusualPretty much everytime theres a new MMO coming it has its zelaous fans here defending every feature f the gameWhat I see about WS is basicly - Yeah the game is kinda fun..I smell a fail so insignificant to anyone outside of this forum noone will even hear about it

actually, everytime a new mmo comes out u have the mass of people crying its not "new" or "innovative". they usually call the game crap or complain the fps is bad or the game doesnt play well. it in no way has anything to do with their rigs

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko
    Afaik this is typical "Wildstar" style. It's whacky, over-the-top and very tongue-in-cheek. I loved their short promo videos during the last year, and this simply looks like an attempt at more of the same. Mebbe it falls a bit flat when the devs do it, but I'm not taking any of it seriously.

xcly. players who have follow WS know the in 'joke',  peopel out of it are just hyperbalin the game...

goes to show...

i dont think it failed, but was funny seeing Tony (ex. Firefall) there...hehe. was watiting for a battle frame expert.

• SuniojSunioj Member Posts: 261
    After spending about 5hrs now playing it.  I just do not see a long term draw to this game.  Nor so I see this game surviving with monthly Sub's.  I strongly feel this game will not push the number of copies the company is hoping to.  After years of teasing us with stuff, now that the game is pretty much here, it's really dated and feels like something we would have played 5+yrs ago.  Thank you for the open beta and allowing me to make the choice to not buy the game.

Momo sucks, I have proof.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

I took the bait and went to the open beta. I've had almost no interest in this game prior, and I have very little base knowledge of the game. That being said, after two or three hours of playing the game my feelings are:

Gameplay is fun, toning down the telegraphing into bare neccesity it's quite good and does not screw up the visuals too bad either. Game is smooth and very responsive most of the time, making combat fun with the kinda fresh and unique action style. Graphics are quite nice as long as you like the art style for sure, nothing amazing but not bad. Paths feel like nice addition on top of the normal content. Performance is good too BUT I just bought a new PC a month a go so it should run anything very well anyway.

On the other hand, the starting experience is horrible, the game spams hundreds of markers and click here, click that, click this, listen (or read, there's barely any voices) to x10 yada ayda *head explodes* I really hope the intro zone can be skipped on the launch version, it simply just is vomit. Also it makes the game harder to get immersed in and learn about the events when there's no voices, I'm so used to voice overs now that I just cant be arsed to read all that blah blah and just spam through it.

Also the interface, outside of combat, can be quite messy, all kinds of icons and markers and stuff, half the stuff on the screen is mystery for me, but I'm sure it's no problem after you take the time to learn and memorize all that. Edit; have to add, same as with ESO, the monthly fee feels too much, regardless how much they add content and what pace, mmo companies should adopt more DLC style content updating system into their games, so people can decide as they go and not have that subfee-counter ticking on the background 24/7.

Few questions for people who know something about the game! Are the realms closed? I mean no cross realm stuff? If I meet people in instances or pvp will I meet them again or are they just random nameless fodder like in WoW? Does world pvp have any meaning? Is it a valid way to gain some points, gear, etc? Thanks in advance for the replies.

• JimyHumuHumuJimyHumuHumu Member UncommonPosts: 251
    Originally posted by silverreign

Originally posted by Pigozz
    Wow

Even MMO junkies here arent riding the hypewagon they're trying to launch...thats higly unusual

Pretty much everytime theres a new MMO coming it has its zelaous fans here defending every feature f the game

What I see about WS is basicly - Yeah the game is kinda fun..

I smell a fail so insignificant to anyone outside of this forum noone will even hear about it

actually, everytime a new mmo comes out u have the mass of people crying its not "new" or "innovative". they usually call the game crap or complain the fps is bad or the game doesnt play well. it in no way has anything to do with their rigs

but after playing WS it really does not feel all that new. It feels more like a mix of wow and allods tbh :=)

as i already own wow, and allods is free to play and im not playing either one, i dont really feel like paying 60 bucks to play this one either.

still some people will love it, trying to convince you its the bestest thing since 1981. Others will hate it and try to 'prove' its the worst blablabla, you get the drill. 

But as its free to try for another 10 days or so, everyone should give it a shot and well, if you enjoy it, play it. If you dont feel like its worth spending cash on it (or even worth your time) just skip it and go back to whatever were you playing pre-ws beta :=)

for me, it just doesnt feel new, fresh or whatever to justify its price so ill just keep on playing other games that i enjoy playing. And i really see no reason why should someone try to prove you how its a 'bad' game, and you shoulnt play it. Thats just plain idiocy, not like everyone will stop playing the game because some random person from mmo forum told them to do so :)

i dont think wildstar is a bad game, and for someone just starting playing mmos, its probably a great place to start with this genre, but for me and some other people who already played wow and tons of other games, its just ... more of the same really. Speaking of which, their starting quests, plus tutorial area were really, really bad. 

Its actually a good thing that game is p2p, if it was f2p many people would simply stop playing after(or even during) newbie area, as its much easier to 'quit' the game if you havent spend a dime yet :P

cheers and stay safe, moral of the story

Give it a shot, and f you like it, you should buy it. If not,  oh well, it was free to try :)

• Jagwar_FangJagwar_Fang Member UncommonPosts: 264
    Originally posted by Saio3

Those statements reek of attention seeking and desperation.

When you are best at something there is no need to say it, as people are going to talk about it.

On the other hand whenever a product claims to be best...... almost never the case.

So no need for publicity/advertising?

This is just the usual pr crap we see every game release, Why should ws be any different?

Umm, saying you are the best and advertising are not necessarily the same thing.  Mentioning that your product was awarded the  Game of the year says someone else thinks we are the best but saying it yourself is very much desperation.

• summitussummitus Member UncommonPosts: 1,414

Pre ordered it , Jumped in and then back out again after only two Beta weekends , found it very bland and boring , and as someone else already said, saying so doesn't make it so, however much you want to hype your game.

I truly hope its a success for those that like it though, I just feel I wasted £35 , but hey it happens now and again.

• UlorikUlorik Member UncommonPosts: 179

Don't know...

starting zones tedious kiddie kitsch

Once out in the open it was screamingly colourful WoW zones with a framerate of 1-3 fps, then even worse: one frame the red telegraph comes on, next frame one second later - dead on the ground

Good game? Don't know, you tell me

• JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290
    This is silly. Of course they are going to think it is the best game out there, they created it! Why would it be desperation to take pride in a great product that you developed? What did you want them to say, "This game is pretty horrible, but at least not as horrible as ESO?"
  • sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458
    Have tried it, found it boring and generic, setting is the only thing different. Sorry.... It's just WoW-in-spaaaaace.
  • azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Agrias34

They forgot to mention...

"We have the worst optimization for any PC spec, guaranteed!"

And the worst combat system ever designed.

Sorry but ArcheAge is going to be the best released MMO this year.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Voiidiin
    Originally posted by Grakulen

Those statements reek of attention seeking and desperation.

When you are best at something there is no need to say it, as people are going to talk about it.

On the other hand whenever a product claims to be best...... almost never the case.

I couldn't agree more.

That said. The three things they have done best (in the game, not the genre) IMO are:

Housing, Crafting, and Adventures

I'm not a fan of their dungeons. Not at all.

For the record: A tough guy doesn't have to tell you he is tough. You can just look at them and know.

Ummm i hope that you are not ostracized by your fellow staff members for going against the opinions of the rest of the site.

Having dissenting opinions is a good thing, for some reason MMORPG.COM are really white knighting WS. 

As i have said in many other posts about WS, i wish there was something that intrigued me, but i just cannot get that hook like other games have done.

My biggest issue is that 40 man raids = end game, for me that's a huge deterrent. 

regardless i do wish that the mods and other employee's of MMORPG.COM could be more objective and stop acting as a mouth piece for whatever game is paying them with advertisement dollars. The ads are here the pandering needs to be rethought... this site needs to get back its integrity with the MMO community.

Reminds me of my supervisor years ago at my last job.  Guy was an Army Ranger and was a bad ass mofo but whenever pressed he would always say he was a Cook in the Army.  Tough guys don't announce their tough.

As for raids, yea I agree.  I seriously doubt they are ever going to produce the kind of content for ME when 99% of the time the content delivered will be for the 1% raider community.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!