Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WildStar: "Jump Into Beta To Prove Us Wrong"

Comments

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

Wow that's ballsy. I don't know if I would bite into that too seriously. Sounds like they are just trying to get the hype train going. I hope for the sake of MMOs that they are offering something even remotely close to what they are claiming though.

It's funny because people want to see the next big thing, but they passive-aggressively hope that every game fails miserably.

I hope Wildstar does well. I probably won't touch it because I doubt my laptop can run it, but it would be nice to have a good MMO on the market.

• Krky7Krky7 Member UncommonPosts: 50

First ever mount customisation? 

And what about LOTRO's incredibly in-depth customisation of horses? They have a whole system specifically designed with mount customisation in mind, so you can tweak and tune every aspect of your warhorse, from color, type of saddle, accessories, bridles, you name it. So I don't really get all the mount customisation hype here. Are they the first ones to offer some degree of mount customisation right off the bat? Maybe. But they are by no means the ONLY MMO to have that feature available.

A little research on their part would go a long way towards making their statements a bit more believable.   

• severiusseverius Member UncommonPosts: 1,516
    These guys sound like they have been taking marketing and pr classes from Paul Barnett at Mythic.  Remember all the nonsense he spouted about WAR? 
  • sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    Originally posted by Axxar

Originally posted by Bladestrom
    They are optimising the game, have you guys really never experienced or understand when and how optimisation hAppens in mmorgs. Or did you jump on the whine train when this happened in gw2 too.

Elder Scrolls Online runs smoothly with a gajillion players on screen with vastly better graphics than WildStar.

ESO uses a modified Hero engine.

Wildstar iirc uses their own engine. It's just a matter of time until they optimize it.

..Cake..

• VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817
    Originally posted by Grakulen
    Originally posted by DMKano

Those statements reek of attention seeking and desperation.

When you are best at something there is no need to say it, as people are going to talk about it.

On the other hand whenever a product claims to be best...... almost never the case.

I couldn't agree more.

That said. The three things they have done best (in the game, not the genre) IMO are:

Housing, Crafting, and Adventures

I'm not a fan of their dungeons. Not at all.

For the record: A tough guy doesn't have to tell you he is tough. You can just look at them and know.

Ummm i hope that you are not ostracized by your fellow staff members for going against the opinions of the rest of the site.

Having dissenting opinions is a good thing, for some reason MMORPG.COM are really white knighting WS. 

As i have said in many other posts about WS, i wish there was something that intrigued me, but i just cannot get that hook like other games have done.

My biggest issue is that 40 man raids = end game, for me that's a huge deterrent. 

regardless i do wish that the mods and other employee's of MMORPG.COM could be more objective and stop acting as a mouth piece for whatever game is paying them with advertisement dollars. The ads are here the pandering needs to be rethought... this site needs to get back its integrity with the MMO community.

Lolipops !

• Originally posted by sgel
    Originally posted by Axxar   Originally posted by Bladestrom They are optimising the game, have you guys really never experienced or understand when and how optimisation hAppens in mmorgs. Or did you jump on the whine train when this happened in gw2 too.
    Elder Scrolls Online runs smoothly with a gajillion players on screen with vastly better graphics than WildStar.  

Wildstar iirc uses their own engine. It's just a matter of time until they optimize it.

That time better be short since the game launches in 10 days, not counting early access.
  • SaluteSalute Member UncommonPosts: 795

Originally posted by sgel

Originally posted by Bladestrom They are optimising the game, have you guys really never experienced or understand when and how optimisation hAppens in mmorgs. Or did you jump on the whine train when this happened in gw2 too.

That time better be short since the game launches in 10 days, not counting early access.

22 days until Headstart 25 until Launch :)

http://watchwildstar.com/countdowns

All Time Favorites: EQ1, WoW, EvE, GW1
    Playing Now: WoW, ESO, GW2

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197

Originally posted by Bladestrom They are optimising the game, have you guys really never experienced or understand when and how optimisation hAppens in mmorgs. Or did you jump on the whine train when this happened in gw2 too.

Personally I've never had a problem with my rig.

People are already mentioning that open beta runs better than previous betas.

There's people who still have problems though. None of them in my guild though... so me and the people I'll be playing with are ready to have fun at lunch.

..Cake..

• Originally posted by kikosforever
    Originally posted by Axxar   Originally posted by sgel Originally posted by Axxar   Originally posted by Bladestrom They are optimising the game, have you guys really never experienced or understand when and how optimisation hAppens in mmorgs. Or did you jump on the whine train when this happened in gw2 too.
    ESO uses a modified Hero engine.   Wildstar iirc uses their own engine. It's just a matter of time until they optimize it.  

Ah, my bad. Hopefully there'll be a beta or trial though since there's no way I'm getting the game without being certain it's been fixed, though.
  • SaluteSalute Member UncommonPosts: 795

Originally posted by kikosforever

ESO uses a modified Hero engine.   Wildstar iirc uses their own engine. It's just a matter of time until they optimize it.  

Ah, my bad. Hopefully there'll be a beta or trial though since there's no way I'm getting the game without being certain it's been fixed, though.

First of all no1 forces you (or me ofc) to play a game. Secondly you already have the open beta and at least in WS you ll have the chance even post launch to try the game using the 7 days trial.

So thank god WS will not grab your money as other games did, only to find that you bought a game which is still in beta phase :)

Are you interested for WS? Cool, play open beta, play the 7 days trial and decide. You like it? You buy it. You dont like it? You stay away. So simple :)

All Time Favorites: EQ1, WoW, EvE, GW1
    Playing Now: WoW, ESO, GW2

• John_GrimmJohn_Grimm Member UncommonPosts: 14

I think cash for in-game currency is bad, but preferable to gold sellers. Lesser of two evils and all that. I don't have a better solution. Does it work for EvE?

It works great in Eve, price is mostly controlled by players. And the exchange is in-game currency for game-time, no actual cash changes hands, so you cannot get money out of the system. Its a good system as long as Devs crack on gold sellers and don't fuck around with the system, they need to keep speculation with CREDD down as well.

Check the Eve forums there is a lot of experiance with this already and its a good system, considering the alternative is having gold selling/farming scum around.

Steel and Iron guard me well,
    or else i'm doomed and damned
    to Hell!

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Originally posted by Prhyme

When you are best at something there is no need to say it, as people are going to talk about it.

On the other hand whenever a product claims to be best...... almost never the case.

I couldn't agree more.

That said. The three things they have done best (in the game, not the genre) IMO are:

For the record: A tough guy doesn't have to tell you he is tough. You can just look at them and know.

Ah, yes so studios should just make their games and not talk about how good it is - just let the gamers randomly download and decide for themselves. 

OR, perhaps it's the real devs (those aren't community or marketing peeps) that actually think they've made something good. Of course, it's terrible that they actually talk about it on a live stream. Shame on them, right?

In addition, they told people not to just take their word for it and download it (hence the title of this article?). 

When Rift launched, this site cheered upon "we're not in Azeroth anymore". When MoP was close to launch, this site cheered upon Trion releasing the panda mount and other desperate attention seeking marketing stunts like

or the Panda http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lsj-A6xltmU ad clip. Even when the game failed, the F2P ad was the best thing ever.

Carbine hasn't nearly pumped as much ad money into this site as Trion has. When Carbine stirs up some close to launch-talk by saying they have the "best damn game" it gets frowned upon even by this site's staff.

• sahibsahib Member UncommonPosts: 19

I'd love to preorder Wildstar and be there from day one, but sadly I'm still getting 25fps max, on LOW settings...

...on a machine that runs basically any other current game at 60-100 fps on Ultra or at least High settings :(

• alexhpy98721alexhpy98721 Member UncommonPosts: 264
    He forgot to say "we have the same graphics as the Award Winning Tom & Jerry"... :-)
  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    During my time with Wildstar, I didn't like the way this game looked, felt or played at all.

Joined - July 2004

• NecropsieNecropsie Member UncommonPosts: 142
    Originally posted by Volgore

Carbine hasn't nearly pumped as much ad money into this site as Trion has. When Carbine stirs up some close to launch-talk by saying they have the "best damn game" it gets frowned upon even by this site's staff.

This is true i am afraid. For some reason, ESO keeps getting pumped and pumped. "Future of mmo's"  "Must play" .. But, when it comes to WildStar, everyone suddenly becomes skeptical. Only staff thread i have seen for WldStar so far was a "Sure It Will Fail But Let's Guess How Bad It Will Be And Please Go Nuts In Your Comments" article.

But again, i visit the site for forums anyway. There are much better sites out there but i keep returning back to this forums. Just like.. well, WoW :)

Stages of a new mmo: 1) It's just beta. It still has plenty of time before release. 2) It just launched. Give it time. WoW wasn't built in a day. 3) We don't need you anyway. 4) F2P announced. 5)Huge influx of players. 6) Look how much has changed. 7) Cash shop is the only thing developed lately. 8) It has been a long journey and we thank everyone who was part of it. Shutting down in 3 months. (Courtesy of Robokapp.)

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085
    I took their advice and tried the game out for myself, and I can't get over how tired and reused this gameplay feels to me. I guess in some regards I have to thank the developers of Wildstar for allowing this open beta to take place, because it saved me a few bucks that I can't really afford to spend on games (not like that stops me). On the other hand, as with the development of any mainstream, themepark MMO, I feel a bit offended that the industry as a whole thinks I should like this type of experience.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• ExcessionExcession Member RarePosts: 709
    • “Best Housing of any MMO, ever,” Matt Mocarski - SWG did it better.

• “We are the first ever MMO to do mount customizations (we have hoverboards in the game if you didn’t know),” Matt Mocarski - SWG had this feature.....

Still the best thing that can be said about Wildstar, is that its ok.

A creative person is motivated by the desire to achieve, not the desire to beat others.

• DraythDrayth Member UncommonPosts: 10

“If you are going to sell an MMO for the box price with a $15 subscription you got to give them the value. Month after month we will release more content for every play style.” – Mike Donatelli

Hmm. Where have I heard that before...oh yeah! Every MMO that's tried it since WoW. Now, how many of them actually followed through on it for longer than a couple months before they petered out and threw their hands up in defeat when it was too much? ...hm. I'll get back to you on that if I ever find any. SWTOR was pretty notorious about this too and we all know where they ended up. TESO tried the same thing, and people're getting to endgame and finding it's nonexistent, even less than SWTOR and Conan had initially.

Sounds like the same old stuff coming out of different mouths who refuse to learn from others' mistakes. "We're better! We promise! ...because we said so!" - I'll believe that when time has told the story. It's just another WoW Clone with Neverwinter/MOBA style combat. Neverwinter already did it. Same old "try to herd a couple dozen cats to kill a single giant boss" at endgame. Yawn. MMOs are generally dead these days, noone wants to innovate or deviate from the Combat-focused formula, and MMORPG.com isn't exactly countering the above case with all the non-MMOs it's posting in the "New Releases" list. I mean come on, Minecraft and other non-MMO quasi-multiplayer games have been on there lately.

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186
    Wildstar ain't bad but Blade and Soul is one of the best mmorpgs ever and to be pushed back because of this makes me cringe.

• Originally posted by kikosforever
    Originally posted by Axxar   Originally posted by kikosforever Originally posted by Axxar   Originally posted by sgel Originally posted by Axxar   Originally posted by Bladestrom They are optimising the game, have you guys really never experienced or understand when and how optimisation hAppens in mmorgs. Or did you jump on the whine train when this happened in gw2 too.
        22 days until Headstart 25 until Launch :)   http://watchwildstar.com/countdowns

First of all no1 forces you (or me ofc) to play a game. Secondly you already have the open beta and at least in WS you ll have the chance even post launch to try the game using the 7 days trial.

So thank god WS will not grab your money as other games did, only to find that you bought a game which is still in beta phase :)

Are you interested for WS? Cool, play open beta, play the 7 days trial and decide. You like it? You buy it. You dont like it? You stay away. So simple :)

Obviously I don't like it because of the terrible performance, but if that gets fixed I may be interested. Otherwise I simply "stay away" as you put it.
  • VicDynamoVicDynamo Member Posts: 234
    Originally posted by Volgore
    Originally posted by Prhyme

I couldn't agree more.

Ah, yes so studios should just make their games and not talk about how good it is - just let the gamers randomly download and decide for themselves. 

OR, perhaps it's the real devs (those aren't community or marketing peeps) that actually think they've made something good. Of course, it's terrible that they actually talk about it on a live stream. Shame on them, right?

In addition, they told people not to just take their word for it and download it (hence the title of this article?). 

When Rift launched, this site cheered upon "we're not in Azeroth anymore". When MoP was close to launch, this site cheered upon Trion releasing the panda mount and other desperate attention seeking marketing stunts like

or the Panda http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lsj-A6xltmU ad clip. Even when the game failed, the F2P ad was the best thing ever.

I couldn't agree more. I'm especially disappointed that a certain person would bash a studio for being proud and excited about their game considering this entire site is paid for by games that do the same thing in their ads. OH, except Donatelli and Moore were talking off the cuff on a live stream - where's the bashing of Dave Georgeson from all of the bold statement's he's made on his streams? He's made some huge statements about how revolutionary SOE's products are ... can't find the diatribes against him anywhere here.

Basically what's happening is that some folks are simply looking for another reason to bash the game, which is fine - to each his own, right? WildStar is an easy target, which is fine. People can think what they want about the game but ripping them because they love their game is just grasping at straws at this point.

• AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824

wildstar is the perfect play for 2-3 months then never again MMO

me and 95% of the games subscribers will enjoy the game this way while it lasts until the moment comes where we all collectively unsub at once, like every wow killer in history

• gunmanvladgunmanvlad Member UncommonPosts: 281

I'm guessing they had an Open Beta face-smash party just before filming that.

I think the dev team that we've seen in other videos is pretty decent however. Even acknowledging that the graphics came from them liking WoW and wanting to future-proof their visuals a bit. Or admitting to over-cating to the PvE raiders, owning up to their decisions. I will write off some of the comments as being drunk-talk. It's perfectly fine if that's how they feel (I mean, Wildstar is their baby after all), but I doubt making such pompous comments is good for their PR.

While I haven't tested the Raiding yet, the first dungeons are pretty hilarious and cool. They feel really good, albeit a bit shallow on the lore side for my taste.

I'm not sure about mount customization. I'll admit to not having seen it anywhere else in such a grandiose fashion. But honestly...do I care? No, I don't...same goes for housing...Ultra-real-life-level customization is probably best suited for sandbox games like Archeage in my view.

Everything else about content releases soon...I'm VEEEERY skeptical. Kudos if they deliver...but my money is not on them here.

• TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604

LOL 100+ comments about some game devs boasting about their game. This really is the troll site of all time!

WildStar is fun TO ME. I liked WoW, and LOVE their combat. If you didn't that's OK too, right?