Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ganked !!!!

stromp45stromp45 Member UncommonPosts: 159
For everyone wondering if this games worth it  id say heck yes. Was on a trade run 3 feet away from the turn in guy with a trade pack on my back 100 corn value around 1 gold.  Thats no big deal the 20 min trip across the ocean and just about to get my reward and boom im dead and all my hard work gone. But that what makes it worth it the excitement of am i going to get there or loss all my crap. 

Comments

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    Are there a set of people to turn in to the trade packs ? If so must be easy just to camp the places where the turn ins occur to kill the people carrying the packs.

• RoyalPhunkRoyalPhunk Member UncommonPosts: 174

No its not easy to camp. There is so much damn space to cover.

PVErs are beginning to flock to the forums to try to change the game into an I WIN button (the usual)

Just have to get my enjoyment in before Trion bends over.

• ThodraThodra Member UncommonPosts: 444
    I do not understand why people enjoy something like that... But glad you are happy....I think

• Pig-EyePig-Eye Member Posts: 115

This is why I don't have the time to play full loot pvp games anymore. No big deal getting ganked. I've been ganked before, and also been the ganker.

Now I just look at it as wasted time, and I have very little time to game anymore!

Good luck to those that do... /Salute!

I got your Deliverance!

Where's my banjo?!!

• stromp45stromp45 Member UncommonPosts: 159
    Theres runs thats safe and you get a little reward but to get the big ones thats where you can loss alot more than your chars life maybe sink your ship and loss all your trade packs and on the trade ships you might have 15 to 20 packs which is alot of work and worth alot in reward. Yes its a time sink but its so much fun.
  • KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185
    People who don't want to get ganked, don't go in the pvp area. There are places to turn in the trade routes in safety, you just don't get as big of a reward. Risk vs reward. It's perfect.
  • cyberpunkhobocyberpunkhobo Member UncommonPosts: 71
    Originally posted by Thodra
    I do not understand why people enjoy something like that...

Imagine wandering across a vast, virtual terrain--enjoying the sights and sounds as you venture over hills and through forests--yet simultaneously fearing unexpected interaction with others at every turn. It's just a totally different experience when you play a game with an active, heightened sense of awareness as opposed to passively pressing buttons and watching otherwise meaningless stuff happen. One can argue that it's about immersion too, as much as it is about the adrenaline rush. It's not your character that gets ganked, it's you.

What the OP experienced was a thrill in his eyes, not a waste of time as others might surmise. But you're right, if he's found himself a pastime that can give him that rush then all the more power to him.

• JeepEscapeJeepEscape Member UncommonPosts: 64

I went with about 9 people today from West to East, right into enemy territory.  All of us but the ship's captain, and some edition help had trade packs.  It was a big risk, but we went in a group, ready to fight.  Turned out, we went when no one was around, so it was a safe trade. 

I'll take this over some game's quest crap any day of the week  Way more fun and rewarding.

• ShortyBibleShortyBible Member UncommonPosts: 409
    Originally posted by cyberpunkhobo

Imagine wandering across a vast, virtual terrain--enjoying the sights and sounds as you venture over hills and through forests--yet simultaneously fearing unexpected interaction with others at every turn. It's just a totally different experience when you play a game with an active, heightened sense of awareness as opposed to passively pressing buttons and watching otherwise meaningless stuff happen. One can argue that it's about immersion too, as much as it is about the adrenaline rush. It's not your character that gets ganked, it's you.

What the OP experienced was a thrill in his eyes, not a waste of time as others might surmise. But you're right, if he's found himself a pastime that can give him that rush then all the more power to him.

Excellent response. You covered just about every sense/emotions when playing a game like this.

I haven't played it, but I hope to in the future.

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967

Camp area where unsuspecting chumps slowed down by their "luggage" congregate, sneak up kill.  Profit.

"As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Moar61Moar61 Member UncommonPosts: 260
    I do not understand why people enjoy something like that... But glad you are happy....I think

It's the same reason people enjoy a game like DayZ. In DayZ it's a whole lot of walking..walking.. little reward, and once you get the reward? Well you could be dead in a heartbeat and do it all over again. That whole threat of getting owned is what made DayZ so successful and that threat is what makes people love open pvp.

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680

They call it challenging i guess. Sounds like a waste of my game time to me. Even though i don't like it and will never play it, I really believe we need to have a few more of these types of games for the pvper"s. That way pve focus games can focus on it without nerfing everything because pvper's complaining all the time. I hope it does well for the pvp crowd.

• sethman75sethman75 Member UncommonPosts: 212

Not sure if the OP is a troll but i will bite anyway.

To me wasting 2 hours of game play with nothing to show is anathema.

The single and only reason i play RPG games is because you grow over time from a pleb to a powerful character with slow and steady progress over months and months.

To waste hours and hours just for some high level goose with ocd to take away all your progress is a complete waste of time IMHO.

It sounds like there are a few players that like that type of game but man i can't think of anything worse.

• Geebus80Geebus80 Member Posts: 92

I lol at people t hat  are pvpcentric in a fantasy game, I mean what you going to pwn with those fireballs and summons?

Sorry just cant see it as anything but desperation to have power over others, want pvp go play Cod or BF4 or Mount and Blade even, pvp in fantasy games is just sad.

Yes there will be hate, but like a great man once said "Thats just like, your opinion man."

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    Originally posted by Hariken

They call it challenging i guess. Sounds like a waste of my game time to me. Even though i don't like it and will never play it, I really believe we need to have a few more of these types of games for the pvper"s. That way pve focus games can focus on it without nerfing everything because pvper's complaining all the time. I hope it does well for the pvp crowd.

lol why I've stopped playing. 

I travelled way out to the edge of nowhere, planted 200,  4 hour trees.

I sat there babysitting my grove for 3 hours and then server crashes. 

Immediately log back in and all my trees are gone. 

I told my guild seeya and have not logged back in since.

At least during alpha the game is not worth my effort.

• An4thorAn4thor Member Posts: 524
    Originally posted by psiic
    Originally posted by Hariken

lol why I've stopped playing. 

I travelled way out to the edge of nowhere, planted 200,  4 hour trees.

I sat there babysitting my grove for 3 hours and then server crashes. 

Immediately log back in and all my trees are gone. 

I told my guild seeya and have not logged back in since.

At least during alpha the game is not worth my effort.

So you illegally planted trees in unprotected land, somebody stole them and that made you quit? Why did you even bother buying the game i wonder.

See this is why i advise against buying into alpha unless 100% sure about what AA is; because if you are not informed you end up getting burned and go rage-troll in the forums.

We really don't need more rage-trolls; so really don't even get close to the 150$ pack unless you are 100% informed about what you are getting into.

• BeelzebobbieBeelzebobbie Member UncommonPosts: 430
    god!!!!!!! I love ganking, maybe this is a game for me. 
  • nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063
    Originally posted by cyberpunkhobo

I've gotten that from PvE games too. When PvE encounters are hard enough, you tread carefully. Some single-player RPG's still offer this, whereas very few MMO games do. It's probably why dungeon crawling and raiding are what PvE players rush towards. It's the same kind of rush. 

• StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987

It's been answered but I'll chip in too, since this is and will be an eternal question for new people.

It is the thrill. People like to get their adrenalin up and running. Like in RL you see people jumping from airplanes, driving a bike on 1 wheel, climbing mountains and doing other dangerous stuff that most people prefer not to do as to avoid risk.

Except that in real life you can get injured or maybe even die while the beauty of  an ingame sandbox pvp experience doesn't really hurt you in anyway unless you're so mentally fragile that you can't handle it. Which is a mindset anyway, a mindset that you've been raised into by growing up with stories of white knights and fairies on one side and our human  nature of the survival of strongest on the other side. But there is no shame in being an e-pray, in that sense it's very much just a game. There is no wasted time if you embrace the thrill and enjoy all the way up till you die and loose some pixels.

That said I do understand people comming up from the other side of this spectre which is pure PvE experience. There can be thrill in PvE scripted world but it's gone after you learn the scripts and know what to expect. Someting that you can't do in PvP, it's much harder to control it. So the thrill is usualy gone after you do one dungeon run for example. Than the only excitment left is the chance of loot in the end. If this is your mentality inside a PvP sandbox environment than it's clear you will have problems adapting and understanding the fun in it.

• summitussummitus Member UncommonPosts: 1,414
    Originally posted by stromp45
    For everyone wondering if this games worth it  id say heck yes. Was on a trade run 3 feet away from the turn in guy with a trade pack on my back 100 corn value around 1 gold.  Thats no big deal the 20 min trip across the ocean and just about to get my reward and boom im dead and all my hard work gone. But that what makes it worth it the excitement of am i going to get there or loss all my crap. 

Used to get the same feeling in the original Darkfall , it was super frustrating , but also super exhilarating too ! Risk vs reward and adrenaline rush . :)

• CopperfieldCopperfield Member RarePosts: 654

i found the game pretty carebaer if you ask me..

The whole AA setup end game.. is based around trading and farming @ house  for delphi coins..

I enjoy the combat tho in AA.. but the pvp options are very limited..

They should make open world pvp and not this timed zoned wardeck system they got now.. seperated pvp servers is an option

And since the north contitent is still standing in his child shoes concerning development.. AA is really not finished yet

But hey if you wanne walk around on a mule whole day in a game and doing house/farming stuff this is prolly the game for you

• KellerKeller Member UncommonPosts: 602
    Originally posted by summitus
    Originally posted by stromp45

Used to get the same feeling in the original Darkfall , it was super frustrating , but also super exhilarating too ! Risk vs reward and adrenaline rush . :)

It's not the same as Darkfall. In Darkfall the thing to have was gold. With gold you had access to everything the game had to offer. Still the gold would drop of any mob. Or you could farm resources or enchanting materials and sell those for gold. Even killing other players would provide you a steady income. If you did not like dying, you would group up or start farming stuff in an area that was not often visited by others.

In AA there is this token called Gilda Stars. So far they can only be earned from doing traderuns or camping traderunners. Imo the freedom of how you want to play the game is kinda being limited by this. Want a house? Get Gilda Stars! Want a special mount or ship? Get Gilda Stars! People will counter this with well you can live/use other players stuff, (that is true) but does not give the same satisfaction.  So for getting Gilda Stars you can do either do the low reward yielding runs or do the longer ones, but any semi-serious pvp guild will know the location of the limited number of delivery points and will be waiting for you.

Think ahead a few months. The sheep (casuals) might have left the game. The hardcore pvp-ers have all the gilda-stars they need/want. Who will be doing the trade-runs? PvP might be offered to you in plenty, but will it still be avaiable when none does the traderuns any more? You say Northern Continent? Will it be included at release? Russian server did not have it at launch.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    Can you fight when you are weighed down or you are just prey in that state ? Can you destroy the trade pack to prevent it from being stolen if you are attacked ?
    Chamber of Chains
  • Gank4FunGank4Fun Member Posts: 10
    Originally posted by cheyane
    Can you fight when you are weighed down or you are just prey in that state ? Can you destroy the trade pack to prevent it from being stolen if you are attacked ?

Yes, you can fight.

No, you can´t destroy the package.

Being ganked in ArcheAge happens daily, everybody get used to ^^

ArcheAge - A gankers dream come true!

• JabasJabas Member UncommonPosts: 1,249

One of the good thinks about AA is the varety of options, and with trade runs we have:

- Most of territorys make and recive packs for stars or Money.

- If a player dont want to risk just make trade runs between safe zones.

- Trade runs in pvp zones is supose to be in group because we never know when we meet other players.

- If a player risk to pvp zone with a pack, loosing the pack for someone its complete normal, this is not "GANK".

- Camping only hapened in some Island (dont know the name) where is the highest reward for trade pack, normally big guilds camp there to protect guild members trading packs and sometimes become a huge war zone where guilds want to take over the Island or leaders make some sort of aliance, policy made by players.

- Its the risk vs reward and imo is great and no one is forced to take this risks, we can make trade runs complete safe with less reward, just need to make more travels to get the same objective.

- With time, guilds make trade runs using a army of boats like: 1 or 2 galeons to protect the trade boat full of ppl prepared to fight and several speedboats go ahed scanning for enemys in sea and then in land. I hope get here someday because this must be huge fun moment, for now its only a speedboat with 2 or 3 friends trying our luck in enemy continente and we had luck untill now.