Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WildStar: "Jump Into Beta To Prove Us Wrong"

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

During an earlier Twitch live stream event today, Carbine Studios developers have announced that WildStar is the "best damned MMO" and have issued a challenge to all: Come try it out during the open beta that runs from today through May 18th and prove them wrong. You can check out the entire stream video when it goes live later today on the WildStar Twitch Channel.

During the livestream, the team made some pretty strong statements about MMO’s and how WildStar is going reinvigorate the category:

• “We have the best damn MMO that’s you’re going to play this year. Period. End.” – Mike Donatelli

• “If you are going to sell an MMO for the box price with a $15 subscription you got to give them the value. Month after month we will release more content for every play style.” – Mike Donatelli

• “We have an entire expansion worth of content that we plan to launch over the next 12 months,” Mike Donatelli

• “We have a whole zone that’s coming in the very first patch post-launch,” Mike Donatelli

• “Best Housing of any MMO, ever,” Matt Mocarski

• “We are the first ever MMO to do mount customizations (we have hoverboards in the game if you didn’t know),” Matt Mocarski

• “The 40 man Raid is bat s$@# insane,” Mike Donatelli

• “We definitely have the best Raids of any MMO,” Stephan Frost

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Agrias34Agrias34 Member UncommonPosts: 147

They forgot to mention...

"We have the worst optimization for any PC spec, guaranteed!"

• sayuusayuu Member RarePosts: 766
    Originally posted by Agrias34

Really,

I never dipped below 75fps.

• SomeHumanSomeHuman Member UncommonPosts: 560
    Has much changed since closed beta?  If not, then I can't say I'll be back.  Saying so, does not make it so unless you are a god or a king.

Gaming since 1985; Online gaming since 1995; No End in Sight! My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8POVoJ8fdOseuJ4U1ZX-oA

• PrayrPrayr Member UncommonPosts: 267

Worst game hype in history.... this is the worst grind game I have yet to see. Nothing ground breaking to see here... the graphics are in line with Free Realms. If you have seen Free Realms, Wildstar is a graphical copy. Grind then grind some more and you get to level 10 maybe before you start questioning how bad is this game.

• JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290

" Best MMO" might be a stretch to proclaim right off the bat, but all of their other points are not really arguable. 

Best raids, best housing, first true mount customization, and a years worth of content already in the pipes. Sounds pretty good to me.

• Saio3Saio3 Member UncommonPosts: 88
    Originally posted by DMKano

Those statements reek of attention seeking and desperation.

When you are best at something there is no need to say it, as people are going to talk about it.

On the other hand whenever a product claims to be best...... almost never the case.

So no need for publicity/advertising?

This is just the usual pr crap we see every game release, Why should ws be any different?

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

^ they should NOT be boasting so hard for where they're at right now, it actually bothers me.  If this was the greatest they wouldn't need to invite anyone in either.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Why do they need to "challenge" people to play/try the game for free ? Don't people normally break down the doors trying to get in when you have something that will become the best ?
  • Stuka1000Stuka1000 Member UncommonPosts: 955
    Tried the beta, hated the game.  I see Wildstar as a sort of Marmite / Vegemite game, you either love it or hate it but best mmo ever? not even close.
  • VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    Why do they need to "challenge" people to play/try the game for free ? Don't people normally break down the doors trying to get in when you have something that will become the best ?

I go to agree here, most of these open beta's..... even the closed ones seem to be crammed with players, but for some reason WS seems to be desperate for people trying the OB.

I am sure its good for those who want WoW but want a different WoW, but really like WoW.

Maybe there is just not a huge market for players who want WoW but want it to be slightly different from WoW ? 

Or maybe all the players who are really interested in playing WS have already done it in the other closed betas ?

I dunno.... i hope this post will not get deleted for no reason also.

Lolipops !

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Was invited to play the Beta, hated the game but tried it anyway to give a shot. Uninstalled a couple days later, nothing for me in the game.
  • ITPalgITPalg Member UncommonPosts: 314

http://www.tentonhammer.com/wildstar-burst/video-graphics-tweak-guide

also...

still beta.

twitch.tv/itpaladin
    @ITPalg
    YouTube: ITPalGame

• stormannnnstormannnn Member Posts: 31
    Originally posted by SBFord

During an earlier Twitch live stream event today, Carbine Studios developers have announced that WildStar is the "best damned MMO" and have issued a challenge to all: Come try it out during the open beta that runs from today through May 18th and prove them wrong. You can check out the entire stream video when it goes live later today on the WildStar Twitch Channel.

During the livestream, the team made some pretty strong statements about MMO’s and how WildStar is going reinvigorate the category:

• “We have the best damn MMO that’s you’re going to play this year. Period. End.” – Mike Donatelli
    • “If you are going to sell an MMO for the box price with a $15 subscription you got to give them the value. Month after month we will release more content for every play style.” – Mike Donatelli
    • “We have an entire expansion worth of content that we plan to launch over the next 12 months,” Mike Donatelli
    • “We have a whole zone that’s coming in the very first patch post-launch,” Mike Donatelli
    • “We are the first ever MMO to do mount customizations (we have hoverboards in the game if you didn’t know),” Matt Mocarski

For those of you who can't tell, DO NOT actually try this game simply because they developers (using reverse psychology) told you to.. 

It is yet another marketing ploy to increase the traffic to their game, don't be fooled by companies. Make your own choices. Disregard this challenge and you will empower yourself simply because you're not doing -exactly- what they want you to do. Time is worth money, which is what they want you to spend on their game.. Time.. and Money.. 

Look to the long term, and see that at some point the money that the TIME you spend on the game is worth will be more than the money they will ask you for to continue to play the game. I know it's a hard pill to swallow, and hey I'm not saying don't play any games ever NOR AM I SAYING DON'T PAY FOR THIS GAME. 

I'm simply saying, don't fall into the trap that this propaganda represents. Don't make this 'challenge' the reason you play this game, as much as you want to prove the developers wrong. Rest easy knowing they're less smart than you, which in turn means they are less powerful (knowledge is power)

Be safe guys.

• BruhzaBruhza Member UncommonPosts: 391

I am wondering how they actually said it though. On paper, yeah what they said doesn't look that great, but if they were doing it jokingly in a "Yeah we love the game we made and we hope you do too".

A couple of other things to note. They didn't say "The Best", They said "The DAMNED Best", this reminds me of the comedy style they are going for. Notice how they say "Come in and prove us wrong".

However, they have none of this stamped on their website...kind of like a "Best MMORPG 2014" sort of thing, but more tongue-in-cheek.

It seems they may be trolling us.

(They might be onto something with the Best MMO this year, not too many other things to compete with atm.)

• HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993

i like this game, but man some of those lines. They've been quite calm with this game, which i liked then to say odd cringey things like this?

Cring pile:

The rest is good stuff
    Now they just need to deliver. Eyes will be on them, they could have kept the humble approach. If they flop, gg well played. All i can say lol.
  • ChuckanarChuckanar Member UncommonPosts: 210
    Good game. Not sure why people are complaining but everyone is allowed to express their opinion. By the way my Toaster runs it fine. Only had a few issues with the game myself during the last few betas. Hope you give it a try for more than the first few lvls. The first 6 lvls are total baby gloves to show and teach you the controls. around lvl 20 it gets much better. they just have alot of easy stuff in the beginning for all you kids.
  • VoqarVoqar Member UncommonPosts: 510

Every good thing about WildStar is ruined by the fact that the game includes cash for gold pay 2 win, like a sleazy F2P.

CREDD, which they love to hype but never fully explain, boils down to buying in-game gold for cash.  Something that is usually considered bannable cheating in most sub-based MMORPG, Carbine has turned into an additional revenue stream for themselves on top of the 15/mo sub and 60 box.

WildStar is high quality and has more features than most MMORPGs ship with but it's still just a WoW clone, and just as dumbed down as any WoW clone.  As with any WoW clone, the "real game" (even described as such by WildStar's devs) is the end game - where you do progressive group-based/raid content, as usual (which I like, but what happens with these clones is that they draw in a lot of people who don't want to group, don't want challenge, have no business playing MMORPGs, and after they pay their 60 and 15/mo a while pull the rug out and say, well, the real game is about grouping, have a nice day).

I would be playing WildStar, even though it's just a WoW clone and not what I really want in an MMORPG (I want full time grouping, challenge, and danger, not just 50 levels of stupid with eventual real game), for lack of any other MMORPG worth playing (and that's sad itself) but I refuse to play a game that has company facilitated cheating of a horrible kind (cash for gold pay 2 win) built right in.

The one thing about beta is that you will never even know CREDD exists, because it's not a factor in beta, so it's easier for Carbine to pull one over on you and get you sucked in to their so called but not really premium game with built in cheating.

Premium MMORPGs do not feature built-in cheating via cash for gold pay 2 win. PLAY to win or don't play.

• MeridiasBeaconMeridiasBeacon Member Posts: 86
    meh, every time i check this game I always end up asking myself why I don't play WoW instead
  • joe1121joe1121 Member UncommonPosts: 11
    I agree with Agrias34, this game is badly optimized, I was getting below 50fps in some zone's on a single GTX690 & X2. I most say I have the best specs money can buy for gaming. Really disappointed with the optimization. Yes I was getting above 60fps in some zone's but mostly very low fps on average.
  • BruhzaBruhza Member UncommonPosts: 391
    Originally posted by Chuckanar
    Good game. Not sure why people are complaining but everyone is allowed to express their opinion. By the way my Toaster runs it fine. Only had a few issues with the game myself during the last few betas. Hope you give it a try for more than the first few lvls. The first 6 lvls are total baby gloves to show and teach you the controls. around lvl 20 it gets much better. they just have alot of easy stuff in the beginning for all you kids.

The spaceship intro is terrible in almost every way. Honestly they should just remove it, place a cinematic, make a short tutorial for first-time players (a SKIP-ABLE one) and turn into a hub for something. (Not a city hub, just...something interesting)

Once you get into the actual first zone(s) the game gets quite a bit better. (Except the forest one for Exiles...Didn't really enjoy that one too much myself.)

Edit: I am one of those that will be playing it at launch and enjoying it a ton. I hate PvE in MMO's for the most part, but this PvE is simply the best I have ever played.

• stormannnnstormannnn Member Posts: 31
    Originally posted by Jimmydean
    Originally posted by stormannnn
    Originally posted by SBFord

For those of you who can't tell, DO NOT actually try this game simply because they developers (using reverse psychology) told you to.. 

It is yet another marketing ploy to increase the traffic to their game, don't be fooled by companies. Make your own choices. Disregard this challenge and you will empower yourself simply because you're not doing -exactly- what they want you to do. Time is worth money, which is what they want you to spend on their game.. Time.. and Money.. 

Look to the long term, and see that at some point the money that the TIME you spend on the game is worth will be more than the money they will ask you for to continue to play the game. I know it's a hard pill to swallow, and hey I'm not saying don't play any games ever NOR AM I SAYING DON'T PAY FOR THIS GAME. 

I'm simply saying, don't fall into the trap that this propaganda represents. Don't make this 'challenge' the reason you play this game, as much as you want to prove the developers wrong. Rest easy knowing they're less smart than you, which in turn means they are less powerful (knowledge is power)

Be safe guys.

It's a trap! They might take up a portion of your hard drive for a time frame set by you in order to try out their game! Oh the humanity.

[mod edit]

In case you're not well versed in the business aspects of MMORPGs, there are things that are worth money that aren't literally CASH. Such as Advertisement. Game traffic. Word of mouth. All of these things would cost money if the company itself had to do it, though they are getting it for free by simply challenging the public. What do we get out the interaction? Well, nothing actually.. Of course there is the possibility that you enjoy the game and it's worth its entertainment value. However there is no way to prove that every player who gets marketed to (which is where the company makes money) will also get their money's worth in entertainment. 

This is why I will continue to advise people not to waste their time, and to realize the power that we all hold in the form of our consumer status. 

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

I don't think the game is "the best" at anything it does, but it's still a pretty complete package with lots of love in its details. Like the game or not, but it has soul.

Anyway the EU servers were all low, except for one that went to medium later in the evening. I guess by now everyone who was/is interested in the game already had enough chance to get an impression on the previous weekends and there wasn't a huge run on the EU servers.

"It's the best MMO, jump in and prove us wrong"... what is wrong about the game (UI, performance, classes/bugs, amps, starting areas and more) has been posted in and out on the forums and to a certain part been ignored by the "devs who are listening".

• JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290
    Originally posted by Volgore

I don't think the game is "the best" at anything it does, but it's still a pretty complete package with lots of love in its details. Like the game or not, but it has soul.

Anyway the EU servers were all low, except for one that went to medium later in the evening. I guess by now everyone who was/is interested in the game already had enough chance to get an impression on the previous weekends and there wasn't a huge run on the EU servers.

"It's the best MMO, jump in and prove us wrong"... what is wrong about the game (UI, performance, classes/bugs, amps, starting areas and more) has been posted in and out on the forums and to a certain part been ignored by the "devs who are listening".

Except that if you actually played / payed attention to the game, you would see that the UI was already completely rehauled, the performance is continually being optimized, and the housing truly is the best out of any mmorpg to date.

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

wait a second, "best damn" is copyright Star Citizen/CIG!

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    • “We have the best damn MMO that’s you’re going to play this year. Period. End.” – Mike Donatelli I played. I disagree.  The game is childish and obnoxious (not because of the graphics either)
    • “If you are going to sell an MMO for the box price with a $15 subscription you got to give them the value. Month after month we will release more content for every play style.” – Mike Donatelli I can't speak on this, but if you find this game not annoying, it does have a ton of stuff to throw at you.
    • “We have an entire expansion worth of content that we plan to launch over the next 12 months,” Mike Donatelli Could be true, but CHALLENGE STARTED ruins it for me.
    • “We have a whole zone that’s coming in the very first patch post-launch,” Mike Donatelli Again, probably true... but it's still Wildstar which is not a good thing to me.
    • “Best Housing of any MMO, ever,” Matt Mocarski I'm sure somebody will disagree with this bold statement. I'm not equipped to argue.
    • “We are the first ever MMO to do mount customizations (we have hoverboards in the game if you didn’t know),” Matt Mocarski  Whoopty fucking do. The game isn't really visually appealing enough for me to care.
    • “The 40 man Raid is bat s$@# insane,” Mike Donatelli Yes. It is because the combat system is the only thing really engaging about the game.
    • “We definitely have the best Raids of any MMO,” Stephan Frost Say it two times because that's all Wildstar really has IMO... the combat.

The game runs better than it did before, but like I said... it's still WIldstar. I'm sure others will enjoy it.  I honestly don't understand why they shelved Blade & Soul for Wildstar.

"As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯