Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Editorial] WildStar: Gauging the Critical Reception

Comments

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    Originally posted by Metrica
    After beta testing it, I'm sure that this game is just not for me.  I'll stick with ESO for next six months, but I think a lot of people are going to be severely disappointed with WildStar because it's just the same tired crap with a fresh coat of hideous technicolor furry paint.  I'll pass, this title isn't going anywhere. 

Define "same tired crap" in a bit more detail please.

..Cake..

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by sgel
    Originally posted by Deerhunter71
    Originally posted by Azzras
    It will get 7/10 at release.  Later it will be 5/10 at best after the rose tinted glasses wear off.

+1 and for those people saying you need to get to lvl 20 to really enjoy this game - then right there is a MAJOR design flaw in a MMO right off the bat.  Sorry but a GOOD game does not make you yawn until you are 20 - it keeps you engaged in various manners.

It's actually not a design flaw.

Also you're an ESO fanboi so one would expect you to dislike Wildstar and post random comments about it.. just like you do. 

Actually I was in the boat many were in - I was HYPED beyond for WIldstar and was not looking forward to ESO one bit.  The way they described the path system sounded so innovative.  Fast forward and I played a few betas and then found out the "path" system is really just more standard quests and honestly was nothing innovative at all.

ESO trust me has its flaws also but at the end of the day offers a lot more than WIldstar in my opinion.  When I played the beta weekends for WS I just kept having that feeling I had played this game before and I had - it is so close to WoW but in a sci-fi setting and lots of neon colors.  So no I am not an ESO fanboy - it has its problems also but if you need to hit lvl 20 in Wildstar to enjoy it then yes that is a problem for a game.

I think you're confusing the boats... there's never really been many in in Wildstar's hype boat... the community is even urging Carbine to market the game more and let people know about it.

How on earth can you say that ESO offers more?... Just write down all the features side by side and count them.

I've played both games.. one of them bored me.. I'm still playing the other.

Well I'm not the guy you are directing this to, but the games have a different feature set to the point where obviously each is going to attract a different player base.

ESO focuses on open world exploration, RvR style PvP, and lore/story telling, realism

WildStar focuses on quest hubs, battleground PvP, and end game raiding, stylized

Two totally different games, both with it's own strong points and merits, but they are going to attract different audiences based off the users preference.

All of that being said, I enjoy ESO now, and I have enjoyed my time with the WS beta test over the last few months. I plan on buying WS once the optimization issues are sorted out and playing both, as they both offer things I enjoy to some extent.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by Aeonblades
    Originally posted by Azzras
    It will get 7/10 at release.  Later it will be 5/10 at best after the rose tinted glasses wear off.

+1 and for those people saying you need to get to lvl 20 to really enjoy this game - then right there is a MAJOR design flaw in a MMO right off the bat.  Sorry but a GOOD game does not make you yawn until you are 20 - it keeps you engaged in various manners.

It's actually not a design flaw.

Also you're an ESO fanboi so one would expect you to dislike Wildstar and post random comments about it.. just like you do. 

Actually I was in the boat many were in - I was HYPED beyond for WIldstar and was not looking forward to ESO one bit.  The way they described the path system sounded so innovative.  Fast forward and I played a few betas and then found out the "path" system is really just more standard quests and honestly was nothing innovative at all.

ESO trust me has its flaws also but at the end of the day offers a lot more than WIldstar in my opinion.  When I played the beta weekends for WS I just kept having that feeling I had played this game before and I had - it is so close to WoW but in a sci-fi setting and lots of neon colors.  So no I am not an ESO fanboy - it has its problems also but if you need to hit lvl 20 in Wildstar to enjoy it then yes that is a problem for a game.

I think you're confusing the boats... there's never really been many in in Wildstar's hype boat... the community is even urging Carbine to market the game more and let people know about it.

How on earth can you say that ESO offers more?... Just write down all the features side by side and count them.

I've played both games.. one of them bored me.. I'm still playing the other.

Well I'm not the guy you are directing this to, but the games have a different feature set to the point where obviously each is going to attract a different player base.

ESO focuses on open world exploration, RvR style PvP, and lore/story telling, realism

WildStar focuses on quest hubs, battleground PvP, and end game raiding, stylized

Two totally different games, both with it's own strong points and merits, but they are going to attract different audiences based off the users preference.

All of that being said, I enjoy ESO now, and I have enjoyed my time with the WS beta test over the last few months. I plan on buying WS once the optimization issues are sorted out and playing both, as they both offer things I enjoy to some extent.

I player ESO and Wildstar and Wildstar is far from a quest hub game. Much like ESO you get 50-75% of your quest out in a field of mobs. Unlike ESO who often has you return to where you get the quest, Wildstar keeps you moving forward most times and handing in, in another area. Wildstar is as quest hubish as ESOm if not less so then ESO. ESO had me looking for exclamation marks in cities more then Wildstar ever did.

Originally posted by Nanfoodle

I player ESO and Wildstar and Wildstar is far from a quest hub game. Much like ESO you get 50-75% of your quest out in a field of mobs. Unlike ESO who often has you return to where you get the quest, Wildstar keeps you moving forward most times and handing in, in another area. Wildstar is as quest hubish as ESOm if not less so then ESO.

Eh, I found WS to be a bit more quest hubish personally. I will say you do find some quests out in the field, but a majority of the game is moving from town to town and picking up 4-6 quests then heading into the wilderness. Either way I still enjoy it, but I believe it's a little dishonest to say WS has the open world questing the same way ESO has. It's not a weakness, it's just different /shrug.

I player ESO and Wildstar and Wildstar is far from a quest hub game. Much like ESO you get 50-75% of your quest out in a field of mobs. Unlike ESO who often has you return to where you get the quest, Wildstar keeps you moving forward most times and handing in, in another area. Wildstar is as quest hubish as ESOm if not less so then ESO.

Eh, I found WS to be a bit more quest hubish personally. I will say you do find some quests out in the field, but a majority of the game is moving from town to town and picking up 4-6 quests then heading into the wilderness. Either way I still enjoy it, but I believe it's a little dishonest to say WS has the open world questing the same way ESO has. It's not a weakness, it's just different /shrug.

Nope... there were times I walked into a new town to only find 2 quests and I was wondering what was gona happen, only to get another 15 quests while doing the 2 I found in town. How happy I was that the two I finished did not send me to where I got them but sent me to a new area to be greeted with again 1-2 quests. Heck in the opening city in ESO took me 30-60 min of running around town just to pick up all the quests. Wildstar on the other hand had me back out in the action in a few min. I would call ESO much more quest hubish. I would agree with one thing, ESO is more of a listen to the story kinda game. I liked that but telling lies about another game does not make another look better. I played both and liked both. ESO would have my money now if they didnt make the game mostly about playing solo.

Nope... there were times I walked into a new town to only find 2 quests and I was wondering what was gona happen, only to get another 15 quests while doing the 2 I found in town. How happy I was that the two I finished did not send me to where I got them but sent me to a new area to be greeted with again 1-2 quests. Heck in the opening city in ESO took me 30-60 min of running around town just to pick up all the quests. Wildstar on the other hand had me back out in the action in a few min. I would call ESO much more quest hubish. I would agree with one thing, ESO is more of a listen to the story kinda game. I liked that but telling lies about another game does not make another look better. I played both and liked both. ESO would have my money now if they didnt make the game mostly about playing solo.

To each their own, your mileage may vary, etc etc :)

• Big-CronkBig-Cronk Member Posts: 61
    Originally posted by Wighty

Using the ol' 1-10 scale I rate a game like a rate a chic...

I won't go out with a girl below a 7...

This game is a soft 6 despite having a good personality, I don't want to have to gnaw off my arm in the morning to get away.

I sincerely doubt that. And either way you look at it, your discarded six's are somebody else's 10's. My guess is Wildstar will need a strong launch and some optimization to put it above 80. If they don't optimize the graphics before launch then there will be a lot of reason for some of the terrible critics to overlook the good and go straight for the bad

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,846

Originally posted by Azzras It will get 7/10 at release.  Later it will be 5/10 at best after the rose tinted glasses wear off.

Well, sorry that Wildstar is unable to fulfill your instant gratification, "Gotta have it NOW!" needs.

It funny that people keep saying that UO, EQ1 and DAoC were such great MMOs but the first dozen hours in those MMOs when they launched werent exactly thrill rides either.

However, that was a time when MMO players wouldnt even think to abandon a new MMO so soon. That time, sadly, is long gone.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I know where it stands with me.A game that on paper looks amazing but in reality is just a sub par game in all areas.

I do not accept the term Themepark as an excuse to NOT provide a MMORPG.To me Themepark is just a mess of following markers around.

Just for arguments sake,i go to a  Themepark i am not following markers around,i am free to ride ANY ride at any time.Having to follow a set path is like when you see all those little kids being lead down the sidewalk by several teachers as the kids hang onto a rope so they don't get lost or separated.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• RakujiRakuji Member UncommonPosts: 144
    Well I had high hopes for this game, and several others that already released. The problem with MMOs is they try to do to much at once. And with this problem they never truly polish any one thing in their games. I wanted so much for this game to be awesome, and while it is decent, the combat is lacking. Speed it up and make it more action oriented. Let me MOVE and CAST don't make me stand still it mutes the point of my cast being in a cone effect. and if you don't want us to move and cast, get rid of cast times and increase cool downs. Do Something cause as of right now, no matter how much I want to jump right in and start working on my house, the combat keeps me from buying the game and investing my time into Smite.

Kick to the Face.

• BruhzaBruhza Member UncommonPosts: 391

I'm sure not many will read this, but, I think Wildstar will get around an 83, though I think it deserves much higher.

I base this on several things, some reviewers don't take the amount of time needed to review an actual long-term MMO. Lets face it, Wildstar is by no means a fast leveling MMO, though its not the slowest one either.

The PVE that starts at 20 (Referring to dungeons) is by far the best part of this game (Cant really say on raids, haven't done one yet) and depending on if the reviewer gets a group together to actually do one, will make or break their score.

And who said WoW in space was a bad thing? We need another quality WoW, as the one we have now is getting old and boring.

When it comes to games, we all spinning our wheels lol

• SmirchSmirch Member Posts: 163
    In my opinion anything short of the critical rating of "crap your pants with joy" is going to be a biased rating. The game is effin' amazing.
  • reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

The only real knock against Wildstar is that it's almost pure WoW clone.

But critics loved FFXIV ARR and it was pure unadulterated WoW clone.

The only things FFXIV ARR has that Wildstar doesn't is the FF brand and a less cartoony graphics style.  I think Wildstar is better on almost every other count so I don't really see any reason Wildstar would score lower than FFXIV ARR unless people are simply giving ARR added points for FF nostalgia.

• RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 711

If the review has information on the mechanics behind the game or on the features, I'll read it.  Generally, for the most part, I ignore reviews.  They are typically biased in either direction.  Very few approach a game without bias.  "Too different", "Not enough like <insert game here>", "I've done this before".

<br>

Honestly, who cares?  If the game is fun, play it.  If it isn't, don't.  I expect Wildstar to do well.  It'll have its detractors, that much is for certain.  However, it'll garner enough attention to be successful, and may even become the "best" on the market.

<br>

Personally, I'm 50/50 on if I'm going to play it or not.  As someone that has been MMO gaming since EQ1 launch (well, 5 months after the fact when my server opened), I've become a little jaded with the genre.  I keep wanting another "EQ1" in terms of how it grips me, but with some of the old styles from back in the day and some of the new ones.

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: Nioh 2, Civ6
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon, Elden Ring

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity
  • LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266

If they can iron out most major bugs and improve optimization (two big ifs, but I'm just assuming since Carbine's devs are experienced and competent, that it will get done), than it'd be a low 70's. 

Yes, they have a lot of the "more of the same" going on, but the things they do differently aren't that great, either. There will be a niche audience that is absolutely wild about this game and you can already see them in beta. They are either former hardcore WoW players looking for a new version of WoW, or they're general MMO players looking for their new big PvP scene.

You mentioned a few things above so I'll touch on those as well:

- Movement and Combat: As a big action combat fan whose played every action combat MMO I could get my hands on the past 3 years, this game is a bit of a let down. Playing to max in both Wildstar and ESO the past year, and at one point being so committed to each of them that I joined a guild and had every intention of playing them long term, I'm back playing TERA. The movement and combat, like many other aspects of this game, are very shallow in design. Dodge roll is merely a "move faster out of the red stuff" skill and not actually a dodge roll to be skillfully timed to evade attacks. The action combat is a tab target background with most skills merely being aimed AoEs ending up in a lot of fast paced aiming, but little in the way of thoughtful pre-planning and strategy mixed with fast paced skillful timing of skills found in other action games. Heck, they don't even have active defenses like most action games do - no manual blocking or iframe evasions. Just feels like they slapped aimed AoEs down on a tab target game at the last second in development once they realized the MMO world was going in that direction. Sure it's different, but not good enough for an action combat vet whose seen it all. I suspect for a WoW fan who hasn't seen anything different, it's likely the breath of fresh air they're looking for.

- Housing - Ok this can get a few points, but not many. The housing is interesting and fun to waste money and time on, but it's nothing other games haven't been doing the past few years. Aion and RIFT just to name a couple off the top of my head.

- Standard PvE and PvP systems - you know the MMO genre is in a sad state of affairs when I'm willing to give this big points (although personally I'm not a fan of their BG designs but I suspect if I liked their combat more I'd like the BGs more).

- Character and personality - Like the combat and movement, this feels very shallow and soulless. On the surface the game seems to have a lot of character and personality, but as you play through it, you don't get immersed in it much, nor have much of a clue what the details of the lore and people are. You don't feel like you're playing in this cool new world they created, it just feels like another generic new MMO. I think a lot of things go into that, not the least of which is their short Twitter sized quests and lack of cutscenes for big story events. I'm not one to normally read through every bit of text, but even skipping through lots of stuff in Aion and WoW, I still felt that those worlds had depth. Now I'm not saying Aion's story is award winning, but the game had plenty of atmosphere to make it enjoyable. Wildstar could work on their presentation a bit. Personally though, if the combat was better, I wouldn't really care about the shallow character this game has. 

"The camp of us that thinks WS will end up with a compiled score of 80+ think that the only real detractor to Carbine’s game is the fact that it tends to have a “More of the Same” feeling to its general questing and gameplay. By not trying too hard to reinvent the wheel, is Carbine limiting their game?"

Not sure how to quote on these forums, but I have to disagree there. More of the same can be good or bad, but it's entirely dependent on the rest of the game. In a game like TERA, there's plenty of that "more of the same" feeling but it doesn't really matter, since what makes TERA great is the combat, gameplay, and visuals. In Wildstar, I think it's neither good nor bad since it's what many players and certainly their core audience, want and expect. The question will be, are those different things enough for players. For me, no. 

Beyond what I already listed, there's the other things that make them different:

Art and graphics - I'm not a huge fan of the art style. Personally I like the traditional fantasy stuff but if I enjoyed the rest of the game I can live with it. Graphically I think it lacks in details compared to other games and that makes it seem more simplistic and not as high quality. That really annoys me more than the art style.

40 man raids - There are both PvP and PvE 40 man raids. There's a certain (but small) subset of gamers that really love this sort of thing so Wildstar is really the only place for them right now. But there's also a lot more gamers that don't care, or prefer smaller raids. There are more games out there for these players to choose between so I'm not sure if Wildstar has enough to attract them. 

All in all it's a well made game and I think it will have a strong core community for years to come, but I don't think the unique elements are good enough to attract a huge audience, nor to earn a better score. It's a good game, but that's really it. There's nothing special about it and if it weren't for a number of games in the past few years lowering our expectations, I would have changed that "good" to "average".

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    I am not sure how it will do... I was in beta for a while and it is a themepark which is something that a lot of people will like and a lot of people will get bored of. To me it felt too similar to other themeparks and I will not be subscribing but others who enjoy themeparks will probably love it.

Smile

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Originally posted by DMKano

I have no clue where WS will score on Metacritic - could be 60% could be 80%, most likely somewhere in the middle.

One thing I am 100% certain, i won't be playing it no matter how it scores.

Of course you won't, it is not a Trion game.

• VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817

Well, i really do support MMORPG.COM, i have for a very long time, other account i deleted in a fit of rage.

BUT !

MMORPG.COM has extremely biased reviews, and they tend to lean on .....  if its AAA they get a huge high score review.

I am hoping that maybe for once they pick someone who is truly unbiased (ie: not played a beta) and the person that gives the review gives an honest experience..... Bill M, yer a good reviewer... but your waaaaaaaaay too biased where wildstar is concerned.

Lolipops !

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960

Logged in to open beta.

Selected a character.

Got into the game, saw I was still getting 15 FPS on a system which exceeds recommended specs.

Logged out, deleted game, and am now attempting to get a refund through Green Man Gaming. Should that fail, I'll go through my credit card company.

No reason for this game to run so poorly, at all. SWTOR and Rift, two games which are well known for having terribly optimized engines, both run better than this. FFXIV runs better than this. Hell, TERA online runs far better (and looks phenomenal) on max settings than this. Not paying $55 for a slideshow.

I do wish Carbine the best of luck though, and hope those without problems enjoy the game. I won't be one of them.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

When it comes to games, we all spinning our wheels lol

If you think WS is open I'd really like for you to play a truly open world, seamless, exploration centric game like Asheron's Call.  It would blow your mind at the sheer scope of openness and you'd never ever ever in a million years call a game like Wildstar open or non-hubish. 

IMO that's the problem with the newer generation of MMO players.  they think a few quests sprinkled out in the open world gives the game elements of open world.  When in all actuality it is nothing of the sort.  Like ESO and like every Themepark game developed the last 7 years, the very nature of the designs of the Themepark lend itself t not being open.  And no amount of wishful thinking will tell it is otherwise.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• tihi85tihi85 Member UncommonPosts: 25
    Game engine is not well optimized, i like my mmorpgs smooth. So WoW is a winner there.
  • ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,079

Developers should really put more stake in making a fun, engaging game more than trying to revolutionize anything. We've seen many "innovations" attempted over the last few years, and it's so often that I feel like developers forget they're making a game that's supposed to sustain & last for the long-term. Zenithesda did a commendable job with ESO in making it last more than 2 weeks before you're capped out and have nothing to do, but we've yet to see what their updates will truly hold.

Wildstar is the first game to come out in so long that is literally jam packed with content from the get-go and that's why I'm so excited about it, it provides a very open world in many ways, but it is in fact a themepark with sandbox novelties connected to it. A sandpark, maybe. But there's nothing wrong with trying to blend the two together, as both by themselves tend to become boring for their own respective shortcomings in the end. I really have a feeling that Wildstar could end up being something that surprises people, especially as they update the game and we see where they go. It has a broader appeal than most MMO's have had probably since WoW, as most of them have been based on an already existing franchise that seeks to appeal almost entirely to that specific fan base. Wildstar is a fresh, brand new IP with an extremely high level of potential.

There are a few things wrong with it, of course. It's not fully optimized for performance yet, but the developers on the official forums have posted on this subject numerous times, as recently as yesterday that they were just in a meeting about optimization. It's a work in progress, they've said from the start that optimization was going to be the last thing they did once all the launch content was in. They're now at that point, everything's in the game that should be there at launch and now they're about to go to town on polish. The best thing any of us can do is actually test and play the game so that they get the data they need to improve it. There's incentives to do this, by the way, as you earn costumes and special mounts for launch by testing the game.

• zellmerzellmer Member UncommonPosts: 442

It's Guild Wars 2 with a subscription and some awful "comedy"..

You can spin it however you want, but it's just more of the same.....with a subscription...

• killahhkillahh Member UncommonPosts: 445

might get a bit better rating due to the fact that if you dont like the theme, nor the graphics, nor the complete WOWness, you dont care wether this game lives or dies.

over 20 years of mmorpg's and counting...