Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

[Interview] Elder Scrolls Online: Creative Director Paul Sage on Launch, Craglorn, and the Future

124»

Comments

  • HorusraHorusra maryland, MDPosts: 2,583Member Uncommon
    To the Nay-Sayers...."May ya turn into cheese and be eternally nawed by skeevers."
  • cesmode8cesmode8 Posts: 318Member Uncommon

    I love how these so called developers are astonished at how fast we chew through content, or how many bots there are, or whatever.  Like its the first time its ever happened. 

    Seriously..every single time a game launches the developer is amazed at these things.  Get a clue.

     

  • NetspookNetspook OsloPosts: 1,503Member Uncommon

    Reading about the 1.1 patch, and the group content:

    So, first they made the whole leveling process mostly a single player experience. Heck, youtube is full of vids of people soloing even group instances. And you can't even bring friends doing main story quests, according to posts on these forums.

    Then they're making entire high-lvl zones for 4 and 12 player groups only, and nothing for casuals mentioned in this patch. The 12-player area even prevents you to be resurrected more than 5 times per week.

    Are they trying to kill their own game on purpose, or wtf are they thinking? It's like reading about two completely different games.

    I hoped that my "reasons to still not buy" list would shrink over time, but it's getting longer every day.

    Wondering what cash shop model they'll use when this is going F2P...

  • uriel_mafessuriel_mafess neguritownPosts: 15Member

    Things arent going well for ESO. Not that it surprises me after tasting its beta for several days. Its still early but if we dont see some news by the end of the month boasting about the +1M subs it would confirm what other ppl has been analyzing using x-fire, pvp etc statistics.

    Thats lees than 300k subs. Even if that its true and the game doesnt take off after 1.1 and "bug" (actually what ppl call bugs is just bad mechanixs) fixing we wont see it going F2P before 2015. Maybe for xmas.

  • HorusraHorusra maryland, MDPosts: 2,583Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by uriel_mafess

    Things arent going well for ESO. Not that it surprises me after tasting its beta for several days. Its still early but if we dont see some news by the end of the month boasting about the +1M subs it would confirm what other ppl has been analyzing using x-fire, pvp etc statistics.

    Thats lees than 300k subs. Even if that its true and the game doesnt take off after 1.1 and "bug" (actually what ppl call bugs is just bad mechanixs) fixing we wont see it going F2P before 2015. Maybe for xmas.

    I have doubts it would go F2P...Zenimax being producer and developer...does not have to concede to a big company demanding top performance like EA would.

  • SadisticSaviorSadisticSavior Denver, COPosts: 2Member
    Originally posted by flizzer
    About the launch ,"It may have seemed pretty smooth to players".  I didnt't realize this was a comedic interview. You must warn me. I was eating at the time and almost lost it!

    Was pretty smooth for me. No lag. minimal disruptions, no broken quests or items or powers. I wish all MMO launches were this smooth. I was very happy with it. 

  • MoiraeMoirae New Orleans, LAPosts: 2,746Member Uncommon
    Wow, I get tired of the "look over here, I have something shiny so you will forget the massive game breaking bugs on release". 
  • SBE1SBE1 New York, NYPosts: 335Member
    I still have about 40 million gold.  Hahaha.
  • neofitneofit TrappesPosts: 11Member Uncommon
    Still waiting for an announcement of a no-pvp switch or a PvE server. Not holding my breath, I am having fun playing other games in the meantime.
  • JudgeUKJudgeUK Posts: 847Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by SadisticSavior
    Originally posted by flizzer
    About the launch ,"It may have seemed pretty smooth to players".  I didnt't realize this was a comedic interview. You must warn me. I was eating at the time and almost lost it!

    Was pretty smooth for me. No lag. minimal disruptions, no broken quests or items or powers. I wish all MMO launches were this smooth. I was very happy with it. 

    This highlights the variable state of the game experience that players have had. Some have been lucky enough, like the above poster, to have smooth uninterrupted game play.

    Others haven't.

    You can check the posts on the official forum re the EU server location. Unfortunately people did experience lag which affected more or less everything they did. Cyrodiil was unplayable because of this, and even basic pve resulted in repeated character deaths due to characters freezing for a while.

    As for bugs, well the most frustrating ones where the none appearing story quest npcs. In the AD story line players where stopped, literally waiting days near the location for the npcs to appear.

    Powers, well I cannot give a truly accurate personal opinion on this. Why? Well often I would select the skill and nothing would appear to happen. But for a wider opinion, look again at the forum, where players have detailed specific skills not working as stated.

    Now - all these issues can eventually be fixed. Probably the longest timescale will be the EU server move.

    But the question is of course, will those players who have had a bad experience return to the game. Some like myself feel extremely frustrated with the virtual ruination of the game through lag, and the consequent non-playability of Cyrodiil. All for which funds had been handed over.

    Why would I hand more money over to a company that has taken funds once and not given me a game I can play properly, or at all in the pvp area?

  • uriel_mafessuriel_mafess neguritownPosts: 15Member
    Originally posted by Horusra
    Originally posted by uriel_mafess

    Things arent going well for ESO. Not that it surprises me after tasting its beta for several days. Its still early but if we dont see some news by the end of the month boasting about the +1M subs it would confirm what other ppl has been analyzing using x-fire, pvp etc statistics.

    Thats lees than 300k subs. Even if that its true and the game doesnt take off after 1.1 and "bug" (actually what ppl call bugs is just bad mechanixs) fixing we wont see it going F2P before 2015. Maybe for xmas.

    I have doubts it would go F2P...Zenimax being producer and developer...does not have to concede to a big company demanding top performance like EA would.

    Yeah I have my doubts to. If they can operate with a few hundred thousand subs I think they will try to stay that way as long as posible. You can go f2p anytime but you cant turn back from that decission.

    About the smooth launch for some regions I have my own theory. They didnt get as many ppl as they expected (preorder offers continuosly lowering price is quite a good indicator of how those sales where going) from the beta data. And they focused on giving "local" players priority. So you had servers with priority that didnt fill even near as they had planned and servers for the rest with  the handicap. No game with +1M players trying to login at once is out of issues for the first 24h. Another hint about the number of players there.

  • Srfrogg23Srfrogg23 Albuquerque, NMPosts: 4Member

    "Lots of positive spin from Mr Sage, sidestepping the big issues of the many bugs people are experiencing (some which impede progress), the combat and chat latency, the queues for Cyrodill preventing people from PVPing at all. New content is great, but these are some of ESO's biggest issues right now.

    Oh and time trials for PVE content? Way to promote rushed exploitative play over skill and knowledge."  -some guy up above this post.

     

    Yeah, I think the article would have been so much better if he moped morosely about how hard it is to program an MMO.  Of course he's going to put a positive spin on it!  He's confident!  He knows that he's working with a good group of people that are going to work their asses off to fix the issues that the game is having because they want to pay their bills with this game for a long time to come.

     

    No successful person, ever, anywhere, has ever solved their problems by wallowing in self pity, especially not in front of a journalist.  

     

    Oh, and on the by and by, they have been rolling out consistent patches to fix bugs and have announced plans to change some of the systems that were counter-productive to social experiences.  Plus, they plan on adding a lot of new stuff.

     
  • uriel_mafessuriel_mafess neguritownPosts: 15Member

    They anounced a delay in console launches of 6 months. Something that was vital to make the game stable. So yeah its cool to see how the PC gamers are the guinea pigs of this company for the first half year (60+60$) until they launch a more complete (fixed) version in consoles.

    If I should guess they saw that pc launch was terribad and decided to polish things, as they should have before launch cause beta already gave that feedback,  for the markets they hope to get true profit from. So in the end pc eats 6 months of beta paying and after being neglected and forfeited they focus on their real target, the consoles.

    Time will tell but I see their "move" and "intentions"pretty clear. As if the casualization of Oblivion and Skyrim, to adapt to console gaming, wasnt bad enough now they tarnish the elder scrolls name to this extent by blatantly using the pc community/players as guinea pigs to get a few million sales in consoles.

  • MothanosMothanos ArnhemPosts: 1,860Member Uncommon

    Ah yes 6 downtimes a week and half the skill lines not even working or passives bugging out.

    Dupes left and right exploits here and exploits there.

    Hundreds of bots inside public dungeons, sometimes even 30 bots at a time 1 shotting the mini boss.

    Lazy Veteran design, as the hardest part of the game so far rewards you 1 gold a kill !!!
    Mini bosses reward you with 3 gold !!!!
    Gear repairs 1500/2500 gold !
    Last quest in the game gives you a !!!!! blue level 50 neck !!!!

    This game wasnt ready to be released by a long shot.

    shall we talk about Cyrodiil ?

    V10's one shotting V5's like they are level 10.
    Group mass crashes.
    lag ability delay and passvies bugging out that needa relog to get them working again.
    but you may be trying to log back in for 15 minutes as you can have multiple infinite loading screens.
    And if you finaly get back in you can crash a few moments later and do that stuff all over again.

    Leaderboards not reseted after the vampire debacle, wait for 3 months untill a new campaign starts...
    This game is going to be hitted by a shitstorm even the haters cant imagen.

    I had insane fun leveling to 50 tough !!
    It was good and engaging, sbut most quests are just bleh and could have been so much more then only a handfull of quest lines worth mentioning.
    But it was fun up to level 50.

    But at V1 you can delete your bow and try a respec 3 or 4 times to get a build that might work for the contend that is ahead of you.
    As many skills are lackluster or not working properly.
    Mobs with increased health but your stats stay the same all the way to V10.
    Ability lag or massive lag spikes is realy common on "EU" server EU as we are still waiting for our servers that should have been installed 2 weeks after launch.

    This game has so many frustrated issues atm that it cant be called a succes, not in launch or post launch.

    And the future ? the future is free to play.
    No anouncement made about sold units shows me that this tittle is not selling well.
    A quick look at the EU campaings show that it struggles to get a 1 filled campaign at prime time.
    Thats 2000 players....
    9 campaigns are ghostowns or have a handfull of people running around doing quest or getting emperor skill line.

    I never tought i would rant about this mmo so hard, but my eyes have been blown wide open
    after listening to this Paul Sage.

    The future looks grim i can tell you that Sir Paul Sage.


  • CetraCetra SingaporePosts: 354Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Mothanos

    Ah yes 6 downtimes a week and half the skill lines not even working or passives bugging out.

    Dupes left and right exploits here and exploits there.

    Hundreds of bots inside public dungeons, sometimes even 30 bots at a time 1 shotting the mini boss.

    Lazy Veteran design, as the hardest part of the game so far rewards you 1 gold a kill !!!
    Mini bosses reward you with 3 gold !!!!
    Gear repairs 1500/2500 gold !
    Last quest in the game gives you a !!!!! blue level 50 neck !!!!

    This game wasnt ready to be released by a long shot.

    shall we talk about Cyrodiil ?

    V10's one shotting V5's like they are level 10.
    Group mass crashes.
    lag ability delay and passvies bugging out that needa relog to get them working again.
    but you may be trying to log back in for 15 minutes as you can have multiple infinite loading screens.
    And if you finaly get back in you can crash a few moments later and do that stuff all over again.

    Leaderboards not reseted after the vampire debacle, wait for 3 months untill a new campaign starts...
    This game is going to be hitted by a shitstorm even the haters cant imagen.

    I had insane fun leveling to 50 tough !!
    It was good and engaging, sbut most quests are just bleh and could have been so much more then only a handfull of quest lines worth mentioning.
    But it was fun up to level 50.

    But at V1 you can delete your bow and try a respec 3 or 4 times to get a build that might work for the contend that is ahead of you.
    As many skills are lackluster or not working properly.
    Mobs with increased health but your stats stay the same all the way to V10.
    Ability lag or massive lag spikes is realy common on "EU" server EU as we are still waiting for our servers that should have been installed 2 weeks after launch.

    This game has so many frustrated issues atm that it cant be called a succes, not in launch or post launch.

    And the future ? the future is free to play.
    No anouncement made about sold units shows me that this tittle is not selling well.
    A quick look at the EU campaings show that it struggles to get a 1 filled campaign at prime time.
    Thats 2000 players....
    9 campaigns are ghostowns or have a handfull of people running around doing quest or getting emperor skill line.

    I never tought i would rant about this mmo so hard, but my eyes have been blown wide open
    after listening to this Paul Sage.

    The future looks grim i can tell you that Sir Paul Sage.

     

     

     

     agreed with everything.

  • JDis25JDis25 Posts: 715Member Uncommon
    If you don't like the game leave. Sorry you paid money for something that sucks (for you), that is life, get over it. You'd think this game is an unplayable piece of shit, but from what I have seen nearing level 50 is hours of fun for both me and my GF. Idk maybe I am a positive person? This game just feels so much different to any MMO i have ever played, sure it isn't perfect but what game is? If there is a game like that, then just go back to where you all came from so that the ESO community can become a positive community to be apart of.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid hell, NJPosts: 6,778Member Uncommon
    cant wait for The Elder Scrolls VI... and some heavy duty fixing on ESO too.

    image
124»
Sign In or Register to comment.