It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!
Alright so just wanted to relay my experience with the alpha.
I gambled my $150 based on the feature set of AA. I always knew I'd hate the art-style and the UI but those are just taste things and I can get over them if the game is compelling enough.
I have been playing ESO since launch and honestly I think it totally spoiled me.
AA is very "old school" and not in a good way. It reminds me a lot of the current way DAOC starts. But I want to love it as it has SO many features that I've wanted from a well-made game for so long like FFA PvP, naval combat, etc.
Here's what I got out of it.
- It's very pretty
- The animations are fantastically crafted
- FFA PvP
- Justice System
- Naval combat
- Sitting just about anywhere
- No quest VO
- Overbearing, unimmersive UI
- Painful connect-the-dots questing
- Boring, unimaginitive and grindy, 10-year-old combat
- No context or immersion into the world
- Unconnected story-less collect/kill quests
- The freaking awful ! and ? graphics really bother me for some reason
- God-awful movement controls
- Ridiculously unintuitive menus
- The freakin' popups
- Old-school camera system with no true first person
- Global Cool-downs
- Nameplates freakin' EVERYWHERE by default
STUFF THAT IS A CON BUT DOESN'T BOTHER ME AND/OR WILL OBVIOUSLY BE FIXED:
- Art-style (personally prefer realistic/gritty/western)
- Non-translated text (I wonder what it all means!)
Seriously, I want to love this game, but it gives me a headache and I honestly think ESO's immersive,minimal UI, believable art-style, story-drive questing and action-based combat REALLY spoiled me for older-school games like this.
So I'm asking for people to tell me whether or not it gets better and if I should stick with it and why they are loving it (since a lot of people CLEARLY do). If I am looking for an immersive, engaging experience, should I stick with this? Cuz right now it seems like a typical mindless Asian grind-fest with some cool features tacked on.