Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 or ESO - help me choose!

BluppBlupp Member Posts: 131

Hi guys!

First I wanna say I am posting this thread on bothe GW2 forum and ESO forum (hope the moderaters dont get mad :P)

As the title says: GW2 or ESO? Yes, how the h** should u know? But please gimme some pros and cons of each games (u guys who played both - or just gimme your opinion).

History: I have played almost every mmorpg there is. My favorites been Lineage 2 and Anarchy Online (yeah been in the business quite some time hehe).

I have also played GW2 before at the launch but my L2-addicition made my impression not so fair I guess.

Even though I dont PvP very much I want it to be possible and I want it to be very rewarding (like Lineage 2). What game makes that best?

Sooooo basicly, gimme your honest opinion and I will be gratefull, thanx folks!

Comments

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083

GW2:

Pros:

Great PvE content while leveling, beautiful scenery, fun class choices, WvW is fun especially if you like large battles

Cons:

No end game PvE, WvW is strictly zerg vs zerg most of the time and a lot times it's just keep swapping and karma trains. No expansion content in sight.

ESO:

Pros:

Massive open world, beautiful scenery, diverse build choices for each class, AvA also has it's fair share of zerging, but there is far more skirmish/small man fighting

Cons:

Fraught with bugs at the moment, leveling takes longer than GW2 by a wide margin, Sub fee (this could be a pro or con depending on which way you prefer your games)

Good luck out there, I enjoy both games, hope this helps you out a little!

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• XssivXssiv Member UncommonPosts: 359
    Originally posted by Aeonblades

GW2:

Pros:

Great PvE content while leveling, beautiful scenery, fun class choices, WvW is fun especially if you like large battles

Cons:

No end game PvE, WvW is strictly zerg vs zerg most of the time and a lot times it's just keep swapping and karma trains. No expansion content in sight.

ESO:

Pros:

Massive open world, beautiful scenery, diverse build choices for each class, AvA also has it's fair share of zerging, but there is far more skirmish/small man fighting

Cons:

Fraught with bugs at the moment, leveling takes longer than GW2 by a wide margin, Sub fee (this could be a pro or con depending on which way you prefer your games)

Good luck out there, I enjoy both games, hope this helps you out a little!

This pretty much sums it up.  +1

• BaitnessBaitness Member UncommonPosts: 675
    I would say both are in a spot where they have serious problems right now and I would hold off and see if one of the developers starts listening to their players and fixes their game up.
  • observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Try GW2 first, then wait until ESO goes f2p.  Currently it's plagued with bugs and everything else that comes with launch days.  That's what i would do.
  • MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977
    Originally posted by observer
    Try GW2 first, then wait until ESO goes f2p.  Currently it's plagued with bugs and everything else that comes with launch days.  That's what i would do.

Signed. GW2 gets you more for less, plain and simple. Its superior game and ESO may chatch up in few years, but it will be F2P well before that so no reason to waste money.

Unless you are dying for linear quest grinder, in that case ESO (but in this case i would say SWTOR over ESO if you didnt play it yet)

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610

ESO > GW2 in every way. Combat, PvE, PvP, Crafting and world exploration are far far superior in ESO than GW2.

ESO is what GW2 wishes it could be. :)

• parpinparpin Member UncommonPosts: 220

GW2 for sure, aside from pros folk already mentioned in their replies to you. the good thing about gw2 is that it is casual game, there is no gear grinding unless you want legendary weapons which is totally optional, this means you can leave gw2 whenever you want to and play other games and come back when they added new content like living story without being worried about being far behind others because you took a break . gw2 is great casual game to have on your hard drive and play it from time to time.and on top of all pvp is very rewarding you can even make legendary weapon just by playing pvp.

ESO well wait do not buy it now, wait for fixes and some changes, i personally dont care about sub fee, money is not issue, the problem with ESO  is bugs and bots. so wait imo. 

• HolluHollu Member UncommonPosts: 3

Both are boring games as for me. I saw some lineage2 clans actively playing wvw 1 year ago though I wouldn't recommend playing any of these games, it's not as fun as is sounds.  Maybe it's not my cup of tea, they're just boring! :/ If you're bored and just looking for mmo, try gw2 it's way cheaper and gives the same feeling as TESO xD Really, save your time

Also first time I played World of warcraft after I got bored with gw2 and I'd say it's superior than gw2 in many aspects such as story, lore, seamless world, dungeons etc. Saying story I mean not lore but actual story-telling in the game.

Try Blade&Soul or slasher dungeon (ORPG) games like Vindictus/PSO2 and such, they're more fun than what gw2 tries to be o.o Even monster hunter is more fun :p That's only my opinion, sorry for my english!

• jcsadonejcsadone Member UncommonPosts: 60

As a someone who played GW2 for very long and ESO for a short period of time (I didn't like it that much) - read posts above, find what You value more.

GW2 is definatly cheaper in a good and very veeeery bad way. At the moment in my opinion game is struggling between beeing "good simple game with wasted potential" and "medicore coarse game with burned out potential" and I don't think Anet have any idea at all, what they want to do with their product. Their last big patch is doing changes in all directions, but mainly is pushing me away from the game ;).

ESO have some major flaws in design and a really fcked up PvE experience if You want to play with friends. If they sort their shit out, game maybe a really good stuff, but as for now - I'm waiting for f2p, because I don't believe Zenimax deserve full price for the box product, not even counting the subscription model (with a lot of cash shop like money grabs on the way). Again - standing ovation for wasted potential in another great brand.

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273

If you prefer to solo and story/lore is important to you, and you don't mind vertical progression = ESO.

If you like fast combat and a very casual game that you can put down without ever feeling left out = GW2.

Personally, I much prefer ESO - and I don't think the GW2 design makes sense at all, but there's no denying it has plenty of stuff to like anyway.

• cptndunselcptndunsel Member UncommonPosts: 136

If you played and liked Skyrim - ESO 100%. 

GW2 was a fine experience for me - been there since Beta. However - once you get a toon to level 80 the fun factor drops off. I've got 4 80s now - getting those last 2 to level 80 was painful as you are doing the same stuff you already did over and over again. At 80 there is no end game and not much to do. Anet has nerfed world drops to the point where getting a precursor for a legendary, getting the mats needed etc. to build the thing can consume months of time - grind fest. Its a game where its now all about "the skins" - reskin armor and weapons. Cash store gets a bit obnoxious as Anet throws new skins at you that can only be obtained by spending real $. 

Population has been dropping and Anet recently consolidated servers into more of a sandbox.

New content is added occassionally, but a lot of content is added on a temp basis then removed. For example - we've gotten new dungeons which they get pulled, leaving just the same old dungeons to run... gets boring.

PVP and WVWVW gets old as well. Need the "one spec" that works for a class to be competitive and taken seriously, and WVWVW is zerg train 24x7.

ESO - too new to know whats coming next. Having a lot of fun with it so far. Yes there are bugs - Gw2 had a mess of bugs on release as well. They get fixed. Moving on. Sub fee means new content will be added, and no annoying gem store begging for $ to get the newest exclusive for cash only item.

ESO devs appear to be listening to the community whereas Anet seems to enjoy flipping its users the bird.

• Skooma2Skooma2 Member UncommonPosts: 697
    The prior posts appear to fairly and accurately portray the difference between the games.  However, all things being equal, in ESO  you are far more likely to find people to group with in starter zones than in GW2. In GW2, because it is the older game, most of the players have progressed to the max level zones.

Hedonismbot: Your latest performance was as delectable as dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.

• eimaiegoeimaiego Member Posts: 24
    Originally posted by immodium

ESO > GW2 in every way. Combat, PvE, PvP, Crafting and world exploration are far far superior in ESO than GW2.

ESO is what GW2 wishes it could be. :)

Put this man in jail

ololo

• nator316nator316 Member Posts: 3

Want to get a clear picture which is better see these 2 videos made me take a choice.

Guild Wars 2 Review

http://youtu.be/Ax-_06Acj8Y

ESO Review

http://youtu.be/Ov3B26h12C4

Clearly after 1 hour of seeing both videos GW2 all way

• RabidMouthRabidMouth Member Posts: 196
    GW2 by a long shot. It offers so much more for your money.

You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by Skooma2
    The prior posts appear to fairly and accurately portray the difference between the games.  However, all things being equal, in ESO  you are far more likely to find people to group with in starter zones than in GW2. In GW2, because it is the older game, most of the players have progressed to the max level zones.

With the megaserver and champ trains you will see tons of people in ALL GW2 zones.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• snoockysnoocky Member UncommonPosts: 724
    ESO, you get bored with GW2 very quick...

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allan Poe

• VaporsVapors Member UncommonPosts: 407

GW2 is cheaper for long term play. Couldn't play it, the animations were just to lighty, in events my whole screen was filled with colours. sPVP is fun to play, dunno if you can level up there finnaly, else its useless for progression.

ESO is new, few bugs few exploiters. Would wait for the 1.1 patch before you buy it, level progression is actually fun. PVP is okay currently the character balance is totally out of mind, hope it gets better in 1.1  and you maybe can level up in pvp then aswell.

I really don't understand why developers do not inscrease the pvp exp in all games. It's awesome for people who want to do new chars and don't want to repeat the content.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

GW2, easily. Better value.. no sub. GW2 has this wonder effect on you the first time you play it. Yeah, it wears off but ESO will never do that to you. It might immerse you for a week but soon you'll realise it's all talk -> go to marker -> reward.. sure, there's exploration but all there is to find is more talk -> go to marker -> reward. GW2's events spice things up, ESO has NONE. Anchors are NOT dynamic events, they are static timed events that offer zero reward other than filling in your map marker.

Whoever said there's no endgame in GW2 is insane. ESOs only endgame is a handful of dungeons and replaying other levelling zones (NOT endgame). You can reply the all the levelling zones in GW2 as well, since it downscales.. so they are basically equal on that front. GW2 has way more dungeons and a REASON to keep replaying PVE events, if you choose to. Plus Fractals, which are basically mini-Raid style (progressive) but with a normal size group instead. GW2 has mountains of things to collect at endgame, ESO has very little. GW2 has instanced PvP battlegrounds as well as 3-faction PvP. ESO only has 3-faction PvP.

I like them both, but GW2 is clearly the better deal and, at the moment, definitely the better game.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • KinadoKinado Member Posts: 198

GW2 is a better game overall, much much more to do than in ESO. More polished, its just better.

Honestly I'd save my money and go for Wildstar or Archeage. I tried really hard to get into GW2 but it isn t my cup of tea. I got into ESO really easily but the game is just crap at the moment.

• nastyjmannastyjman Member Posts: 161

GW2.

I've played the beta ESO, and I was actually impressed by the game. But I didn't buy it because of the plague of bugs and issues. And then I read a feedback from reddit about skill and weapon swap delays (link). That was the deciding factor for me not to get ESO.

• AngryBeaverAngryBeaver Member UncommonPosts: 46
    They are both the same with different graphics and events.   Just another copy of the games we have seen for the last 10 years.
  • koljanekoljane Member UncommonPosts: 171
    Originally posted by AngryBeaver
    They are both the same with different graphics and events.   Just another copy of the games we have seen for the last 10 years.

Agree with Beaver.

Honestly, tomorrow (8th may) you ll have open beta for Wildstar.  

It is new and there so many things you can do that your head can explode. 

ESO is also new but it is more for people that like Eldar Scroll and hardly for people that dont.

• nikibishnikibish Member UncommonPosts: 44

I have both and I can honestly say I have no urge to launch the gw2 launcher. I only bought it maybe a month ago because it was half off and free for life. 

I just bought ESO and quite honestly, I really like the game. I do not see myself quitting it either since they will have updates on a regular basis due to the sub fee. Theres so much to do and the visuals are pretty stunning.  There is a bot problem though but it has not hindered me in any way and after leaving the first zone I was in, I havent seen one in 4 hrs of playing.

• PiratePetePiratePete Member Posts: 105

I'd say GW2 is best to spend your money on instead of ESO. 

Admittedly there isn't a lot of end game material because they don't throw in arbitrary gear grinds from monster drops. (because face it that's all end game seemingly is when people complain about no end game material.) There's still a lot to do after you hit 80. And while WvW isn't stellar there are still decent fights to be had.

Essentially you're getting three games in one with GW2, pve stories and dungeons, structured pvp in a arena like gameplay, and WvW. Of which with the megaserver business could eventually leave  with the dilution of servers to the three different coulours and perhaps some revamps to the WvW system as a result (Larger maps, more objectives, higher player cap etc) 

There are also updates to pve stuff (usually) every 2 weeks allowing for gradually more and more content being out there to play. With the end of the last living story content we're going to be heading into new maps to explore, new enemies to face, probably new dungeons, and eventually a new dragon to fight. 

The living stories are a gradual expansion of sorts that doesn't themepark the game but requires you to be involved and take part weekly as events go on and changes to the world are made. 

As for ESO I see it becoming f2p relatively soon. My friends who play GW2 and ESO have since stopped playing after they got through the gists of the pve. 

One of the most redeeming features though is their RvR system makes camps and such quite vital to defend (as they effect the defense/repairs/etc of towers and keeps). It irks me to no end that gw2 has a system where you go "oh it's just a camp, not use defending it." 

This discussion has been closed.