Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Freedom VS Safety (in mmos).

maccarthur2004maccarthur2004 Member UncommonPosts: 511

A poll.

"They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety"

Benjamim Franklin

Comments

• Matt_GeeMatt_Gee Member Posts: 3
    That is one of my favorite quotes of all time image. It kind of leads the direction of the poll though.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Depends on what I'm playing the MMO for. I play MO and EVE for the risk/reward and consequence to actions, so I would take freedom over safety in those. I play most other MMOs for the PvE or the non-combat PvP, so I would prefer safety over freedom in those. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    I like the ability to cheat and steal...the general freedom to trick people out of their accounts...but....I like the safety of knowing the company is going to keep my personal info safe...keep game exploits under control....choices choices.
  • VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601

Originally posted by maccarthur2004
    A poll.

"They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety"

Benjamim Franklin

And yet Ben franklin chose to continue living in a society of laws, in a society that enforced those laws and drafted many new laws and then enforced those laws.

Interesting don't you think?

For those who don't get it, it means that he choose to sacrifice some liberty (not murdering, stealing....) for safety.

So the better question is, "what are essential liberties?" and how do they apply in MMO's?

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Originally posted by VengeSunsoar

A poll.

Benjamim Franklin

And yet Ben franklin chose to continue living in a society of laws, in a society that enforced those laws and drafted many new laws and then enforced those laws.

Interesting don't you think?

For those who don't get it, it means that he choose to sacrifice some liberty (not murdering, stealing....) for safety.

So the better question is, "what are essential liberties?" and how do they apply in MMO's?

"Freedom to oppress others." ...I wonder what Ben would've said about that.

OP says freedom but means anarchy.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    I feel that game-makers should be free to choose the most fun possible rules and features to their game, and safe in knowledge that adults understand those are not political nor ideological choices and won't try to dictate that because of some politic or ideology fun should be had this way and not that way.

Robokapp that's not quite what I meant. I rewrote my earlier post, hope it's more clear now.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

How is it freedom if someone else can choose how you play, for you ?

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

"They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety"Benjamim Franklin
    And Benjamin later went on to form all kinds of laws that limit freedoms. Nice words. Hard to practice.

I voted "Safety", which I doubt surprises anyone. Player online have shown time and time again that they CAN NOT behave themselves. Because of these few, the rest have to suffer with limited Freedoms.

I'd prefer freedom over safety. I just can not trust others to act accordingly.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• ethanlallaethanlalla Member UncommonPosts: 105
    Playing or interested in playing SWTOR? Use my referral link here and we will both get rewards! Including a week of game time for you, if you are a preferred status player! Click here for more info!
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

There is no freedom without safety.

Originally posted by ethanlalla

Freedom!

http://www.faceofmankind.com/

I don't necessarily agree, I think freedom: http://wizard101.com

• KJ30KJ30 Member Posts: 47

You cannot have liberty without responsibility.

Fear is the true foundation of safety.

• eldariseldaris Member UncommonPosts: 353

If you want responsibility how about ffa games having permadeath followed by a complete ban of the account ? Really sad using quotes from patriots or revolutionaries which risked their own life to justify a style of play which exists only because the "hardcore" griefer is just risking a few hours of grinding again their armour/skills even in most hardcore ffa games.

• KJ30KJ30 Member Posts: 47
    Originally posted by eldaris

If you want responsibility how about ffa games having permadeath followed by a complete ban of the account ? Really sad using quotes from patriots or revolutionaries which risked their own life to justify a style of play which exists only because the "hardcore" griefer is just risking a few hours of grinding again their armour/skills even in most hardcore ffa games.

Hi eldaris,

I was not trying to justify any playstyle , with the 2 quotes. What i was trying to point is that, Freedom without responsibility in every aspect of life and in game communities does not make any sense. Always somebody will try to take advantage of this freedom and create problems to the rest community. In an ideal world 9 out of 10 people/gamers would choose freedom. Unfortunately this is not the case.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

A poll.

Benjamim Franklin

Wonderful quote, and fine example of rhetoric.

It's pure rhetoric because "essential Liberty" is not defined in that quote.

So what that ringing quote really means is:

"If you are prepared to give up (my definition of) Liberty, you deserve neither (my or your definition of) Liberty nor any Safety."

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

i choose freedom, any day. You can have safety without affecting freedom, but you cannot have freedom if there is too much safety. The problem is that game companies that try to promote "freedom of choice / do whatever you want", either do it wrong or they do it right but forget about the rest of the game so it falls flat.

Gotta focus on the entire game. Trying to win people over by adding one cool feature and do presidential campaign level of marketing on that one feature only is not good for games, gamers, and game makers.

• LithuanianLithuanian Member UncommonPosts: 542
    Safety only.  Can't see use of huge world where on every step my lvl.7 toon may be and will ge killed by some lvl. 77 just out of fun. Just because I am lvl.7 or because it is Monday or just because "noobz deserve to die".
  • eldariseldaris Member UncommonPosts: 353

Originally posted by KJ30
    Originally posted by eldaris If you want responsibility how about ffa games having permadeath followed by a complete ban of the account ? Really sad using quotes from patriots or revolutionaries which risked their own life to justify a style of play which exists only because the "hardcore" griefer is just risking a few hours of grinding again their armour/skills even in most hardcore ffa games.
    Hi eldaris,

I was not trying to justify any playstyle , with the 2 quotes. What i was trying to point is that, Freedom without responsibility in every aspect of life and in game communities does not make any sense. Always somebody will try to take advantage of this freedom and create problems to the rest community. In an ideal world 9 out of 10 people/gamers would choose freedom. Unfortunately this is not the case.

Sorry, I was referring to OP quote but saw your post about responsibility and used that in the start of my post. I agree with you about responsibility and this is the problem with ffa pvp - a small number of people have the freedom to destroy the game while there is no way to keep the griefers under control, they only lose a few hours of game time needed to farm the items/skills again.

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

What. The. Frak ?

I would need a BIT more explanation.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

How can you have Freedom if there's no Safety?

Anything forced upon players is not Freedom to me.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

I'm reminded of New Hampshires state motto:  LIVE FREE OR DIE

(its on all the auto license plates)

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

Benjamim Franklin

And Benjamin later went on to form all kinds of laws that limit freedoms. Nice words. Hard to practice.

I voted "Safety", which I doubt surprises anyone. Player online have shown time and time again that they CAN NOT behave themselves. Because of these few, the rest have to suffer with limited Freedoms.

Agreed 100%. Freedom is nice, but it's only truly reliable among small communities. As long as the the griefers can hide in numbers and anonymity freedom will be mostly a pipe dream.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

Benjamim Franklin

This becomes an interesting topic in behavioral science.  Do laws prevent crime? Or are they there just to punish?  It's already been settled that law enforcement agencies are not there to protect the people, they clean up the mess.

I think it's more interesting if the game lets you break the law but punishes in return.  A little simulated danger is fun, after all we are still playing a game.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910
    Originally posted by Reklaw

How can you have Freedom if there's no Safety?

Anything forced upon players is not Freedom to me.

If we take a look at Darkfall or Eve, are players free to do what they wish?  Not really.  Gather resources in the wrong area or just go some place alone and you are likely to end up dead, with no supplies left to your name because other players have decided that you are not free to do as you wish.  The idea that games that allow this to happen are providing "freedom" is false.

What games are providing is a rule set that the players like.  There is no more freedom in Eve than there is in WoW.  Players are doing what they want and the experience of "freedom" is the same in either game for different players.  It just depends on which set of rules a person wants to follow.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.