Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

uninstall wtf

MakidianMakidian Member UncommonPosts: 208
Ok so I want to remove some games from my pc, I go to uninstall programs like I always did and there's nowhere near as many programs as there should be. It only lists 25 programs total and show only a few games out of about 20 games that I have. It always showed them before, so why the hell isn't it showing all programs and games now. Hopefully its something easy, any ideas ? Thx guys.

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    Not all games install themselves such that they need to be uninstalled through the control panel.  Some games keep everything in the folder where they are installed, so if you delete that folder, the game is completely gone.  One quick way to test this is to copy and paste the folder to a different drive; if the game still works flawlessly running from a different drive and nothing seems to be missing (e.g., this could lose your settings, controls, or saved games), then the whole game was in that folder.
  • MakidianMakidian Member UncommonPosts: 208
    Well when I would go to uninstall a program all the games would be listed there. Now there not, anyway to get them back? Doesn't make any sense, and I really dont want to have to go to each game file and do it manually.
  • SmikisSmikis Member UncommonPosts: 1,045

, there are few options,

1 just delete the folder of game you dont want

2 check that folder for uninstall exe and run it

3 get an uninstaller  that will remove the game and all files/registry associated with it

4 it isnt stone age anymore, its time to learn how to use a computer, get on with it...

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788

The list of programs available under the "Add/Remove Programs" or "Programs and Features" section of Windows is pulled directly from the registry.  If you have multiple games and programs not showing up, then the registry is probably been corrupted in places.

You could have or had a virus/malware that caused some collateral damage.  Or you could have used a program like Hijack this without knowing what you were doing, and inadvertently deleted a bunch of stuff.  It's kind of hard to say, and really just a moot point.

If you really want to make sure the programs are removed properly, then you will need to actually install them again, then uninstall them.  That way the MSI service cleans up registry entries, and unregisters any dlls associated with the program.

You make me like charity

Also for some reason most on my icons at desktop have a padlock in the bottom left corner. That just happened without me doing anything, possible that might have something to do with it ?
  • Quazal.AQuazal.A Member UncommonPosts: 859

Sounds like a permissions styled pad lock, could be that the user is not the admin account

dont be fooled into thinking that admin accounts are always so, windows 8 particularly (and windows 7) by default dont give admin accounts out.

this is just  guess, but woudl also be why some items are not shown in add/remove program if you dont have 'full admin' account

This post is all my opinion, but I welcome debate on anything i have put, however, personal slander / name calling belongs in game where of course you're welcome to call me names im often found lounging about in EvE online.
    Use this code for 21days trial in eve online https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=d385aff2-794a-44a4-96f1-3967ccf6d720&action=buddy

Originally posted by Makidian
    Also for some reason most on my icons at desktop have a padlock in the bottom left corner. That just happened without me doing anything, possible that might have something to do with it ?

You are currently infected with malware.  The padlock icon means the owner of the file or folders has been changed to the system account.  I've seen many things do this, sometimes even going so far as to mark stuff as hidden as well.  When that happens you can see weird stuff like mousing over a folder that's reported to be empty, even though there's stuff inside.

I would suggest going to bleeping computer and starting a new thread detailing what you've mentioned here.

You make me like charity

Originally posted by asmkm22

You are currently infected with malware.  The padlock icon means the owner of the file or folders has been changed to the system account.  I've seen many things do this, sometimes even going so far as to mark stuff as hidden as well.  When that happens you can see weird stuff like mousing over a folder that's reported to be empty, even though there's stuff inside.

I would suggest going to bleeping computer and starting a new thread detailing what you've mentioned here.

Just posted at bleeping computer thx, not sure how the hell I got infected : (

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Originally posted by Quizzical
    Not all games install themselves such that they need to be uninstalled through the control panel.  Some games keep everything in the folder where they are installed, so if you delete that folder, the game is completely gone.  One quick way to test this is to copy and paste the folder to a different drive; if the game still works flawlessly running from a different drive and nothing seems to be missing (e.g., this could lose your settings, controls, or saved games), then the whole game was in that folder.

This is not necessarily true. A lot of games will just recreate their registry entries when they are re-run from a different spot, and a lot of games use default file spots that are not in their install folder (Such as c:UsersXXXAppData)

You could move the game install folder, but still have a lot of crap installed under "Default" folders that wasn't moved and wouldn't get preserved if you. For instance, if you copied the game folder from one computer to another as opposed to running the game from a different location on the same computer.

If you move the install folder to a different ~computer~ and it runs fine, yes, what Quiz states is true. But moving the install folder on the same computer doesn't necessarily prove anything.

• syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378

Do you use Internet Explorer?  Is your OS Windows XP?  Do you have an ad blocker?  Do you keep your OS patched?

Originally posted by asmkm22

They are generally very helpful, as long as you follow their instructions.  Someone there will post giving a basic introduction and, unless it's a very trivial problem, they'll have you start by running a few programs and pasting the log results into the forum thread.

You make me like charity

Originally posted by syntax42

Do you use Internet Explorer?  Is your OS Windows XP?  Do you have an ad blocker?  Do you keep your OS patched?

Use chrome, win 7 pro, of course, yes.