Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Confirmation on video optimization?

ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
So clearly, video optimization for this game is effecting a lot of people such as myself.  A few have told me they have a driver update planned or something to fix all of it and give us back our frames, anyone have confirmation on this? Honestly if it runs smoothly as it should I'll probably end up pre-ordering.  

Played-Everything
Playing-LoL

Comments

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379
    This has been my biggest concern as well and would like any news regarding the fix. I have rarely experienced headaches from playing a game and the stuttering in WS has given me headaches every time I have tested it. At this point I won't even touch it for that reason alone so I am waiting to see what they do about the framerate issue.

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

This past beta weekend was a bit worse for me than the previous (the one I made the pre-order decision with).  

I installed the newest release drivers (I was using the beta drivers before) so ill see if that improves any, and im going to be checking out forcing the client to run dx9 and try dx11 forced as well, to see if there is any improvement.

Wish this game had ESO's optimization, for all its faults it ran very nice on my machine.

• xtravertxtravert Member UncommonPosts: 134

I have to start my comment off by saying I really like the gameplay, style, graphics, in-your-face attitude and a lot of other aspects of the game I've experienced during the beta.  I have a laptop with the NVidia 650m, not a great card but solid.  I usually get 20-30fps with all the graphics options turned down.  Around 60fps with my desktop which has the AMD 6950 in it with everything minimized.  Performance is a concern for me.  No matter how much you like a game, if it doesn't run well... well it can be a big disappointment.  If they can straighten the fps out then I'll hopefully get many hours of entertainment from the game and hopefully without playing at minimum settings.

• NecropsieNecropsie Member UncommonPosts: 142
    Originally posted by Chrisbox
    So clearly, video optimization for this game is effecting a lot of people such as myself.  A few have told me they have a driver update planned or something to fix all of it and give us back our frames, anyone have confirmation on this? Honestly if it runs smoothly as it should I'll probably end up pre-ordering.  

Help me to understand this.. Why do you plan to pre-purchase a game like this?

"Wildstar will ultimately end up with every other themepark in the f2p graveyard.  It's your typical WoW-clone with slight variations on combat systems.  Unfortunately the variations this time around aren't even good, telegraphs out the *** aren't exactly innovative. "

This is your post. From.. yesterday. http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/6316288

So really, help me understand. You think game is garbage but yet, interested in optimizations and thinking pre-ordering, right?

Stages of a new mmo: 1) It's just beta. It still has plenty of time before release. 2) It just launched. Give it time. WoW wasn't built in a day. 3) We don't need you anyway. 4) F2P announced. 5)Huge influx of players. 6) Look how much has changed. 7) Cash shop is the only thing developed lately. 8) It has been a long journey and we thank everyone who was part of it. Shutting down in 3 months. (Courtesy of Robokapp.)

• Big-CronkBig-Cronk Member Posts: 61
    Busted, sad that this is the way things usually go. Post about how much you hate a game with one hand, then talk about pre-ordering with the other. Shame on you OP

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

i just dont understand whats going on with people talking about video problems.

I have 2 cards, 580 gtx and a 570 gtx, both considerably old, on 2 different computers. 2600k 8gb RAM, and other is an i5. I ran the game at 50 fps with everything max except shadows in crowded areas, and considerably higher fps when out questing. The lowest I saw it go was 45 fps during a large amount of permanent particles around a heavily populated quest hub.

There was one person this recent closed beta constantly spamming chat about how poorly the game ran, when asked what gfx card he has he said a Nvidia 260. 

We aren't new to PC gaming, we should all be aware as newer games come out, older gfx cards WILL be taxed more in performance. I just don't get it, unless I am missing something completely. I understand everyones rig is different, but from what I saw this weekend there was a LOT of people blowing things out of proportion in order to stand high on their soap box.

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379
    Originally posted by Nevulus

I have 2 cards, 580 gtx and a 570 gtx, both considerably old, on 2 different computers. 2600k 8gb RAM, and other is an i5. I ran the game at 50 fps with everything max except shadows in crowded areas, and considerably higher fps when out questing. The lowest I saw it go was 45 fps during a large amount of permanent particles around a heavily populated quest hub.

There was one person this recent closed beta constantly spamming chat about how poorly the game ran, when asked what gfx card he has he said a Nvidia 260. 

We aren't new to PC gaming, we should all be aware as newer games come out, older gfx cards WILL be taxed more in performance. I just don't get it, unless I am missing something completely. I understand everyones rig is different, but from what I saw this weekend there was a LOT of people blowing things out of proportion in order to stand high on their soap box.

I am not sure why you assume people are blowing things out of proportion. I have been able to run every MMORPG to date just fine with the exception of WS on my Nvidia GTS 450 which is a decent mid range video card. While I respect that you aren't experiencing the same issues that others are, how about offering up helpful information instead of proclaiming we are here to stand on a soapbox and over embellishing our experiences. I get as high as 50 fps and then experience drops to as low as 15. On top of all of that there is a stutter that causes my head and eyes to ache after playing for roughly an hour. What I don't understand as why folks like you continue with this head in the sand defense of something when people like me want to enjoy the game and are looking for answers to a fix. While the OP may have been busted as trolling, I legitimately wanted some information and instead I get this drivel.  

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

Don´t expect any "super magic optimization"...

Players getting 20 fps are not going to get 60 fps or more all of the sudden...

They have a problem with the game and they know it.

PS: And for those pretending that people are complaining about optimization  because they are running the game on a toaster... don´t lie... game runs poorly on high end computers as well.

• tetiteti Member Posts: 26

I do not have the graphics issues  as related to FPS that a lot of people seem to have/had and I play from a laptop. I am not trying to deny that people are having problems, it is just odd as to the why of it IMO.  ...just for reference, I am on a 50/50M FO connection and playing on Sager that has an SSD, 16gigs RAM, GTX680M and an i7-3610 CPU - built around 20120701.

I will have to look at my notes on 'bad' FPS days (yes, I log that kind of stuff - try not to laugh) for that information, but in general the thing that bothered me the most so far was having to use an addon to keep name tags from dropping.

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    Originally posted by Necropsie

"Wildstar will ultimately end up with every other themepark in the f2p graveyard.  It's your typical WoW-clone with slight variations on combat systems.  Unfortunately the variations this time around aren't even good, telegraphs out the *** aren't exactly innovative. "

This is your post. From.. yesterday. http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/6316288

So really, help me understand. You think game is garbage but yet, interested in optimizations and thinking pre-ordering, right?

I began to think a lot of my rage derived from the fact that I was on 20-40 fps the entire time. Like someone said before me, awful performance can ruins ones enjoyment regardless of gameplay.  I am certainly one of those people.   I was also not in a very good state of mind at the time I wrote that. Please stick to the topic at hand. 

Though to be completely truthful, it's still possible that this game could go under just as any themepark that gets released in todays market.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

Originally posted by Zzad

Don´t expect any "super magic optimization"...

Players getting 20 fps are not going to get 60 fps or more all of the sudden...

They have a problem with the game and they know it.

PS: And for those pretending that people are complaining about optimization  because they are running the game on a toaster... don´t lie... game runs poorly on high end computers as well.

No I'm not running on a toaster at all, the problem is i'm getting the same exact fps as the people that are running on toasters.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• Greymantle4Greymantle4 Member UncommonPosts: 809
    My feeling is a lot of people don't even know its running bad. I don't know how many times I would bring up the subject in chat and people claim it runs fine. I then ask them what their fps is and they don't even know how to find out. I tell them and over half the time they are getting around 20 to 25 fps. :P
    Originally posted by Nevulus

I'm not standing on any soapbox. I also don't think bringing up the older gfx/new games arguement is valid because this game hasn't broken any new boundaries in terms of graphics at all.  People know the limitations of their own computers, they know what games they can run, and if I'm running every other game at full ultra no problem this of all things shouldn't cause one.  It's not just in populated areas either, the frame drops were just too real this last beta weekend.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• Insurgent99Insurgent99 Member Posts: 58

i7 3000 something

NVidia 650m

8 gigs ram

windows 7

latest drivers

no background shit running

I get 15-30 FPS while in Wildstar....even when I'm standing still and regardless of graphics settings/options enabled.

I can play most games and nearly all MMOs at max settings with no prob.

WS definitely has a optimization problem; with the large number of people reporting these symptoms, I'm REALLY hoping the devs are frantically and feverishly working on a fix!

I'm hella excited for the game and I like what I've seen so far...I just don't want to play a power point presentation.

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967

I got twin 660 TI, get a stable 4.5 from my processor, all drivers up to date all other AAA games run fine and Wildstar was running like shit for me from day one.  The FPS was all over the effing place regardless of the settings. The foliage was stretching and distorting all over the screen etc.  Between that and how the game got increasingly more obnoxious as I played I just gave up on the title. I tried everything possible before that.  It's not my problem anymore.

[mod edit]

"As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • zethcarnzethcarn Member UncommonPosts: 1,558
    It's a major concern.  Lag is one the biggest turnoffs for me.  Plan to download the open beta and see how it goes.  Hopefully they will have a queue for the servers or they will be jam packed and create even more lag.
    Originally posted by FlyByKnight

I got twin 660 TI, get a stable 4.5 from my processor, all drivers up to date all other AAA games run fine and Wildstar was running like shit for me from day one.  The FPS was all over the effing place regardless of the settings. The foliage was stretching and distorting all over the screen etc.  Between that and how the game got increasingly more obnoxious as I played I just gave up on the title. I tried everything possible before that.  It's not my problem anymore.

[mod edit]

Agreed on all points.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• MidBossMidBoss Member Posts: 93

The latest news from the Dev tracker is that the newest batch of optimizations should be in at open beta.

And they post almost every day they know people are worried about it. So saying the issue is being ignored is frankly false.

Also:

I know it sounds silly to people but you really can break optimization in an area by doing something as small as adding a tree in the middle of the zone. It's not something you really want to do until the very end.

• MaelzraelMaelzrael Member UncommonPosts: 405
    Ran at 60fps give or take all weekend. i7 and 660 ti, 32gigs... So either my machine is badass, or the game is fine. Not sure which. 

• KinadoKinado Member Posts: 198

I began to think a lot of my rage derived from the fact that I was on 20-40 fps the entire time. Like someone said before me, awful performance can ruins ones enjoyment regardless of gameplay.  I am certainly one of those people.   I was also not in a very good state of mind at the time I wrote that. Please stick to the topic at hand. 

Though to be completely truthful, it's still possible that this game could go under just as any themepark that gets released in todays market.  

You mean you have multiple personality disorder? Or in other words you are... a COMPLETE WACKO?! lol just kidding. Or am I?

But yes, Wildstar is as themeparkish as it gets but its a fun game to play with a lot of depth, that's a good start. Comparing it to WoW is...innacurate. I played WoW for 6 years so I would notice it.

Video optimization however is the main problem of Wildstar at this point, I really like the game but all the choppy FPS made me stop playing it during the beta weekend. It's just not enjoyable to play a game with inconsistent FPS. Not to mention anti-aliasing is awful since they removed the ability to increase the render scale.

I m buying it anyway though, great game.

Originally posted by Kinado

You mean you have multiple personality disorder? Or in other words you are... a COMPLETE WACKO?! lol just kidding. Or am I?

But yes, Wildstar is as themeparkish as it gets but its a fun game to play with a lot of depth, that's a good start. Comparing it to WoW is...innacurate. I played WoW for 6 years so I would notice it.

Video optimization however is the main problem of Wildstar at this point, I really like the game but all the choppy FPS made me stop playing it during the beta weekend. It's just not enjoyable to play a game with inconsistent FPS. Not to mention anti-aliasing is awful since they removed the ability to increase the render scale.

I m buying it anyway though, great game.

Lol yea anti-aliasing is kind of sad too.  I didn't try forcing it though from nvidia control panel like 8x MSAA would it even allow that? I would imagine not.

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

Originally posted by Maelzrael
    Ran at 60fps give or take all weekend. i7 and 660 ti, 32gigs... So either my machine is badass, or the game is fine. Not sure which. 

Video optimization doesn't necessarily effect every rig out there.  There will always be some who are untouched.  Though 60 could be a slight bit below for the rig you described depending on whether or not you're using vsync...

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• PanzerbasePanzerbase Member Posts: 423
    670GTX with an older i7 on the desktop, runs great. laptop, again older i7 and middle of the road mobile card, works just fine...
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    I thought the whole point of them making the gfx ultra stylized was to improve performance for the big raids. If I run around solo at 30 fps imagine a large raid. There isnt much else that I could consider a bigger gamebreaker than fps issues. I keep seeing people say dont expect a big increase in fps even if they do "fix" things...that is disheartening.
    Originally posted by Mardukk
    I thought the whole point of them making the gfx ultra stylized was to improve performance for the big raids. If I run around solo at 30 fps imagine a large raid. There isnt much else that I could consider a bigger gamebreaker than fps issues. I keep seeing people say dont expect a big increase in fps even if they do "fix" things...that is disheartening.

Yea it does worry me too, the raids are my main draw to this game and if its that bad alone questing then idk.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL