Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Elder Scrolls Online: AuA and the Road Ahead

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Yesterday the Elder Scrolls Online community was provided two useful sources of information to quell their burgeoning questions and to whet their appetite for things to come. The first was Game Director Matt Firor’s the Road Ahead and the second was an Ask us Anything (AuA) hosted on Reddit by the Zenimax Online Studios team. 

Read more of Rob Lashley's Elder Scrolls Online: AuA and the Road Ahead.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431

They also talked about an idea to have everything scale to VR10 in all factions once you reach VR10. That along with the Thieves guild/Dark Brotherhood and a justice system could make playing post VR10 a lot of fun in your starter faction.

Just depends on how fast thing come out. We know the first large update will be coming soon. But the Justice system, Thieves guild and Dark Brotherhood need to come in the next couple of patches after the Adventure zone IMO. Hopefully it will be in with or close to the Console launch, but I doubt they could do it that fast.

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

• KinadoKinado Member Posts: 198

Guild Kiosks, that's very Age of Wushu like.

I really hope that they step away from the themepark features and focus on the sandbox ones for future content. The game is already overloaded with themepark ones now that Craiglorn is coming out.

They shouldn't lose more time making more quests with more dialogue, all efforts should go to make player interactivity fun between players. It's a MMO godamnit! Let players create their own content.

What's fun about Skyrim (specially modded) is that anything can happen in the world and your choices have consequences, like stealing or killing an NPC. ESO is as predictable as it can be, boring as hell.

There should be an Open World PVP option once you reach rank 10 veteran. You would only get phased with other rank 10 people who chose to have open world pvp enabled.

Zenimax created a huge world, its time to take advantage of it instead of painting the zones with boring been-there-done-that quests.

I'm pretty sure that giving ESO players more freedom will flood the game with people. It's what gamers want, freedom to do in-game what they can't in real life.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Kinado

I really hope that they step away from the themepark features and focus on the sandbox ones for future content. The game is already overloaded with themepark ones now that Craiglorn is coming out.

They shouldn't lose more time making more quests with more dialogue, all efforts should go to make player interactivity fun between players. It's a MMO godamnit! Let players create their own content.

What's fun about Skyrim (specially modded) is that anything can happen in the world and your choices have consequences, like stealing or killing an NPC. ESO is as predictable as it can be, boring as hell.

There should be an Open World PVP option once you reach rank 10 veteran. You would only get phased with other rank 10 people who chose to have open world pvp enabled.

Zenimax created a huge world, its time to take advantage of it instead of painting the zones with boring been-there-done-that quests.

I'm pretty sure that giving ESO players more freedom will flood the game with people. It's what gamers want, freedom to do in-game what they can't in real life.

I thought the samething. The foundation is there. It would be awesome if they took development in that direction .

There seems like there just might be an Wpvp option on the way following the justice system. They said in the AuA that they want players to be able to arrest other players. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950
    Can't say I'm not bothered by the lack of any mention of the next adventure zones after Craglorn. Craglorn was always touted as the first of the zones, If this is where they're going with endgame pve, then I'd like to see why they think just one is going to be enough.
    double post
    Originally posted by sketocafe
    Can't say I'm not bothered by the lack of any mention of the next adventure zones after Craglorn. Craglorn was always touted as the first of the zones, If this is where they're going with endgame pve, then I'd like to see why they think just one is going to be enough.

There is never enough PvE... PvE only guy will always demand more.

Originally posted by bcbully

Doesn't mean not nearly enough is acceptable.

You see in the review thread where they where complaining ESO only launched with 30 dungeons and 100 variations? 

• lttexxanlttexxan Member UncommonPosts: 429

I'm not sure what your agenda is here BC ole boy...but

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...it might just look and feel like all the other ducks.

I have played MMORPGs since U.O. I...like many others here know when we see innovation and creativity...and when we see cut and paste..cookie cutter cave designs that can be walked through in your sleep in under 10 minutes start to finish.

You must be the kind of consumer that is happy with having 30 white 2 door sedans to choose from to drive...with 100 different variations on the design of the mirrors....I want a red 4 door sedan with no mirrors...occasionally.

Variety being the "spice of life'...and all that.

Just sayin....

It's better to lurk in forums and be thought a fool...than to endlessly "Quote" and remove all doubts.

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195
    I will gladly take over an avatar that is invulnerable and draws no aggro and personally teleport from dungeon to dungeon and manually ban/remove botters. I would love it and all I'd ask is a free day or unit of playtime per botter I remove manually. They can even put a maximum on the amount. or not.  Not looking for a free lifetime membership or anything but I'll take one. I really like the atmosphere, stories and gameplay myself.  Some people call this game junk...I call it a treasure. (to paraphrase every other merchant in Skyrim...lol)

• jacktorsjacktors Member UncommonPosts: 180

I am very happy with the game for the most part, but I am still going to point what I believe is design flaws and bad developer decisions.  I want this game to survive and flourish, but there are some glaring issues that will lose subscriptions in the long run. 

1.  The public dungeons are too simplistic and boring.  They are all carbon copies of each other.  I expected much more from  an Elder Scrolls game.

2. It drives me crazy when I do a dungeon crawl, and as I find a spot where items are lootable, only "some" of the items are able to be picked up, and the rest are props.  It just kills immersion. I believe that is another bad developer decision.  In my opinion, either allow items be lootable, or just take the art away from the game. Especially in a dungeon.  How is it that some Urns are lootable, and some are not. 

3. I would like to see more treasure chests in the game, especially at the end of dungeons and/or in remote explorable locations. There needs to be more reward for exploring off the beaten path. 

4. I love the idea of having phased open world pvp for Vet rank 10+ players. If they open the other factions to opposite factions, why not add open world pvp.  Obviously they have the technology for it.  That type of content is a game changer for a mmorpg. Plus, it would not affect pve community at all. 

5. Regularly scheduled content updates are extremely important for a subscription mmorpg.  Most of the ESO hate is the fact that people do not feel that the game is worth a $60 price plus $15 dollar monthly subscription.  Well Zenimax can win many of these people over if they start blasting out content early and often.  Let the people see that Zenimax is dedicated to delivering a lot of content to their customers.  It will justify the extra money paid each month. 

That is some of the things I feel are important for ESO to continue to build a large community. 

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195
    Originally posted by jacktors

I am very happy with the game for the most part, but I am still going to point what I believe is design flaws and bad developer decisions.  I want this game to survive and flourish, but there are some glaring issues that will lose subscriptions in the long run. 

1.  The public dungeons are too simplistic and boring.  They are all carbon copies of each other.  I expected much more from  an Elder Scrolls game.

2. It drives me crazy when I do a dungeon crawl, and as I find a spot where items are lootable, only "some" of the items are able to be picked up, and the rest are props.  It just kills immersion. I believe that is another bad developer decision.  In my opinion, either allow items be lootable, or just take the art away from the game. Especially in a dungeon.  How is it that some Urns are lootable, and some are not. 

3. I would like to see more treasure chests in the game, especially at the end of dungeons and/or in remote explorable locations. There needs to be more reward for exploring off the beaten path. 

4. I love the idea of having phased open world pvp for Vet rank 10+ players. If they open the other factions to opposite factions, why not add open world pvp.  Obviously they have the technology for it.  That type of content is a game changer for a mmorpg. Plus, it would not affect pve community at all. 

5. Regularly scheduled content updates are extremely important for a subscription mmorpg.  Most of the ESO hate is the fact that people do not feel that the game is worth a $60 price plus $15 dollar monthly subscription.  Well Zenimax can win many of these people over if they start blasting out content early and often.  Let the people see that Zenimax is dedicated to delivering a lot of content to their customers.  It will justify the extra money paid each month. 

That is some of the things I feel are important for ESO to continue to build a large community. 

I can not disagree and the last one is key. Especially with todays MMO market...

• Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023
    seems all the right additions...they are doing a good job - no questions...still i just think there are just not enough sandbox features to give the game the longevity im looking for...otherwise it would be great...

You see in the review thread where they where complaining ESO only launched with 30 dungeons and 100 variations? 

Leveling content is leveling content. I'm talking about adventure zones. Every bit of info about Craglorn started with "Our first Adventure Zone, Craglorn..." and now the map for the rest of the year doesn't mention a second. I'd like for Craglorn to be enough to keep people occupied forever with no back up, but I don't see how that is possible.  

And i've seen that info graphic. Delves are delves. They're meant to be short little things and we've never needed 130 unique 5-minute 'dungeons.'

1. Delves are simplistic and boring, but they're meant to be little bite-sized 'dungeons' you can do in 5 minutes. The actual Public Dungeons are sweet and unique. They may not be EQ-tier public dungeons you can get lost in, but they're far better than the absolutely nothing we've had since. 

2. Yep, that's a thing they're working on though.

3. I find a lot of chests.

4. That would be fucking sweet.

5. I'm hoping they do this, that's why I was kind of bummed with their roadmap for the rest of the year when they didn't mention the next adventure zone after Craglorn.

• EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Originally posted by artemisentr4

They also talked about an idea to have everything scale to VR10 in all factions once you reach VR10. That along with the Thieves guild/Dark Brotherhood and a justice system could make playing post VR10 a lot of fun in your starter faction.

Just depends on how fast thing come out. We know the first large update will be coming soon. But the Justice system, Thieves guild and Dark Brotherhood need to come in the next couple of patches after the Adventure zone IMO. Hopefully it will be in with or close to the Console launch, but I doubt they could do it that fast.

As long as the VR10 scaling is an OPTION and not mandatory.  I for one do not want GW2 syndrome where you reach max level and feel like you've accomplished little to nothing because everything is scaled.

• mongedmonged Member Posts: 1
    People demanding content need to realise how long it takes to create this content. ZOS have a lot on their plate atm
  • CultOfXtcCultOfXtc Member Posts: 378
    Even if all of those items were added, it doesn't seem much content for 7 months of subscription.

THE SECRET WORLD - PAY ONCE PLAY FOREVER - Give it a go!

http://www.thesecretworld.com/buy/

OR PM ME FOR A BUDDY KEY (need your email address).

• VaporsVapors Member UncommonPosts: 407
    Originally posted by Kinado

I thought the samething. The foundation is there. It would be awesome if they took development in that direction .

There seems like there just might be an Wpvp option on the way following the justice system. They said in the AuA that they want players to be able to arrest other players. 

Yeah open world pvp sounds nice, but in reality the majority of players are PVE ones, and I can imagine the cry on the forum "omg i just want to my achievements and i get ganked all the time".

• cprikcprik Member UncommonPosts: 38
    Why the hell isnt there any wpvp?? Im playing a game that takes place in a fantasy world filled with dragons and trolls and ogres and what not. And your telling me i cant kill other races in the world that my race is at WAR with??
  • AsariashaAsariasha Member UncommonPosts: 252

Was so obvious that the complainers complain again. I wonder if they will ever understand that games are not made to perfectly cater to their personal wishes.

/ontopic

Zenimax created a really nice list of things to be implemented in the futrue.

• Grouping allows players to see each other in different phases. This could lead to more problems. Atm when a player is not there, then he is in another phase and has to fast travel to the group leader

• Justice System. Stealing items will matter. I guess this one comes with the thieves guild. Will be interesting.

• Field of View adjustments. Well, why not. I think some people have problöems with the FoV

• Armor Dyeing and tinting. Yes. Yes. Yes! I hope the add it similar like in DAoC. Basic dyes purchasable. Special dyes craftable by Alchemists.

• Two new Vet Dungeons: Crypt of Hearts and City of Ash. More dungeons are always good!

• New region in Craglorn (and a new trial). Already excited about Craglorn, though I doubt that I will be VR10 when it is released.

• Increased ability to pick up items in the world (because my bags aren’t full enough). Wondering where this aims to. Probably picking up swords, shields, etcpp that are currently not collectable?

• Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood (storyline and quests) YAY!

• Spellcrafting Craftable Jewelry? Great!

• Horse Racing. Hmm. Not my thing, but definitely interesting for the one or the other player.

• Dragonster Arena This one will be something like a 4 player adventure zone. Good thing!

• Improvements to fishing I never liked fishing. Hope they will add recipes for buff food.

• Crafting system improvements Ok. Curious about this one.

• Better NPC facial animations Impressions and such? Will be interesting.

• Guild functionality updates Hopefully they add detailed search functions, so that I can drop some of the search add ons.

• Auto leveling dungeons Auto-scaling dungeons. Level will be set to group leaders level. Love this idea.

• Awards when you repeat dungeons. Never been that much of an Achievement hunter, but why not. :-)

• Imperial City PvP dungeon (aka Darkness Falls 2.0) Yes! Yes! Yes! Give us DF!

They will add a lot of interesting stuff within the next months. I'm excited! :-)
  • Gobstopper3DGobstopper3D Member RarePosts: 966

A large portion of today's gamers will hate on anything they have to pay for.  The entitlement generation will never be happy with anything they have to shell dime out for.  Zeni shouldn't worry about those types and just focus on keeping the players who are willing to pay.  It's a fine line they are walking in keeping the game balanced MMO and Single player elements.  They aren't going to please everyone.  Many MMO types want it to be more like a traditional mmo and some TES fans want less of that and more single player elements.  It's almost a no-win situation for them.

I'm not an IT Specialist, Game Developer, or Clairvoyant in real life, but like others on here, I play one on the internet.

• fdlsfusoeiffdlsfusoeif Member Posts: 1
    ==== http://www.kkship4biz.com
    2014 comes, in order to thank everyone, characteristic, novel style, varieties, low price and good quality, and the low sale price. ThankS everyone Welcome to ====  http://www.kkship4biz.com==
    Top nike Air Jordan (1-45) shoes $35
    Top Nike Jordan (1-22)&2009 shoes $45
    Air max shoe $35
    Nike shox (R4, NZ, OZ, TL1, TL2, TL3) $35
    NBA,NHL,MLB Jerseys
    Handbags ( Coach Lv fendi D&G) $34
    T-shirts (polo, ed hardy, lacoste) $14
    Jean (True Religion, ed hardy, coogi)$34
    SUNGLASSES ( Oakey, coach, Gucci, Armaini)$16
    Leather Belts
    New era cap $16
    Bikini (Ed hardy, polo) $18