Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best themepark mmorpg in years?

Comments

• superconductingsuperconducting Member UncommonPosts: 871

Don't understand the hate either.

This is an AMAZING game. And it's only getting better and better.

Best MMO I've ever played, that's for sure.

Angry Joe hasn't a clue what he's talking about

Originally posted by DMKano

Best? No, not even close IMO.

Newness is what it has going for it, once it wears off you realize how shallow ESO is.

Quest, craft and PvP are the only 3 activities available in ESO currently - now compare that to other AAA themeparks on the market and you'll see the problem immediately.

Take into account the free games available that offer more, once newness of ESO wears off serious questions of "why am I playing this" start to come up.

ESO is decent, the problem is a sub game you must be *killer* as the market is full of decent themeparks already and most of them are freemium/f2p.

Yeah, but remember other AAA MMO's have been out for years. They've had time to add feature after feature.

ESO had a TON of stuff at launch with much more coming fairly soon.

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356
    TSW and GW2 are better theme parks, but TESO... well, not bad.
    (edit- nevermind)

• Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023
    i absolutly think it its the best themepark in years...but its still just that a themepark - have you seen one, youve seen all... and i think most of us just have mmo fatigue and just cant do the same things again and again...we need something truly new! a player driven world!
  • Moar61Moar61 Member UncommonPosts: 260
    There are tons that love it, then there are tons that love to hate it, whatever. ESO finally brought me back into mmo's, which GW2 failed to do for me. Before that I was gone quite some time. Glad to be back into the mmo genre 
  • Colt47Colt47 Member UncommonPosts: 549

Well, to pitch in my own reasons I didn't buy ESO, I found the game spreads itself too thin in the places where it needed more work.  Dungeons, as someone pointed out via a compiled image, are basically the equivalent of four dungeon tiles from pathfinder and have zero depth to them.  From what I've observed of the questing, it's linear and doesn't encourage any kind of exploration of the gaming world off a beaten path.  

Also, outside of the massive pvp battles the entire presentation of the gameplay seems lack-luster.   Bosses being farmed in open world dungeons to the point where their are piles of bodies just laying about the spawn points, the minimal scope of the invasion points is surprising given the scope of some mods in skyrim, and the lack of group questing accommodations is pretty bad.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

Totally agree with OP. Could it be better? Yes. Could the world feel more alive. Yes. Will the game get better. Yes. Will it get as good as I would like it to be...probably not. Regardless, it is the best 'exploration' based themepark that I've ever played.

Tried Rift, just felt way too much like every game before it with tab targeting and wall of texts along with a VERY boring story line and lackluster quests. GW2, though I LOVED the artwork of some of the cities, started out great, felt fresh, but by level 20 most of the skills that were interesting you accumulated, there was no feeling of progression, and the entire dynamic hype was far from as dynamic as advertised. You felt by end game like you were doing the exact same thing over and over again with no progression. Wildstar just isn't my target crowd with its cartoony goofy theme and its fake explorer class which is nothing more than a platform pull the character on a leash questing system. I tried Final Fantasy, just felt like Rift but in a more more charming world. May try it again from the comfort of my couch on my PS4.

For the next few months, I don't see leaving ESO. Will it keep me 2-4 years, I doubt any game will. There is way too much on the horizon with Virtual Reality, newer games on PC and consoles, but if they add some exciting stuff down the line if the game succeeds longer term who knows.

There Is Always Hope!

Originally posted by keithian

Totally agree with OP. Could it be better? Yes. Could the world feel more alive. Yes. Will the game get better. Yes. Will it get as good as I would like it to be...probably not. Regardless, it is the best 'exploration' based themepark that I've ever played.

Tried Rift, just felt way too much like every game before it with tab targeting and wall of texts along with a VERY boring story line and lackluster quests. GW2, though I LOVED the artwork of some of the cities, started out great, felt fresh, but by level 20 most of the skills that were interesting you accumulated, there was no feeling of progression, and the entire dynamic hype was far from as dynamic as advertised. You felt by end game like you were doing the exact same thing over and over again with no progression. Wildstar just isn't my target crowd with its cartoony goofy theme and its fake explorer class which is nothing more than a platform pull the character on a leash questing system. I tried Final Fantasy, just felt like Rift but in a more more charming world. May try it again from the comfort of my couch on my PS4.

For the next few months, I don't see leaving ESO. Will it keep me 2-4 years, I doubt any game will. There is way too much on the horizon with Virtual Reality, newer games on PC and consoles, but if they add some exciting stuff down the line if the game succeeds longer term who knows.

It's the best exploration based themepark game?  Everything I've seen online from reviews and lets plays seems to suggest that it is incredibly boring to explore.  What is there to make exploring worth it for the player?  

• JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353

I don't think this game is boring gameplay wise. The only thing I hope they change is the Vet zones. I actually like the fact that people can't run dungeons and avoid questing because many public dungeons have so many enemies you will be glad that there are people doing them with you. I love to explore the world but sometimes you need help from people on group content as (pub dungeons, anchors, world bosses etc)

I hope they keep their promise of increasing mob XP in Veteran ranks. I also hope you can run Vet dungeons and get a considerable amount of XP to avoid questing all of the time. It's fun but too much of a good thing....can be a bad thing.

I think Craglorn is going to be some of the best "Endgame" the MMO world has seen. Enough of traditional raiding, its just too much waiting around for people, organizing runs, and makes the game feel like work to be able to see content. Craglorn I hope will be getting into a group and fighting baddies with some buddies or guildmates. 

I think the party system needs some improvements but overall, I am beyond pleased with my decision to play, i am not sure what people want in an MMO anymore?

Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • SolarRainSolarRain Member UncommonPosts: 32

Had a blast from 1 - 50, really enjoyable game and definitely the best themepark mmo I've played since Rift. It actually feels much less themepark than most because of the variety of options open to you for levelling. But once you hit them VR levels be prepared for a major kick in the balls if you're already burned out and fed up with questing, because that becomes your ONLY option. I got to VR2 then almost immediately cancelled my sub. Mobs were giving equivalent exp and gold for about level 20-30 kind of levels.

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793
    I would say Rift, TSW, and GW2 are better. But you're entitled to your opinion. Glad you found a game that you enjoy.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Vorch
    I would say Rift, TSW, and GW2 are better. But you're entitled to your opinion. Glad you found a game that you enjoy.

I've played all 3 of those and I enjoyed them. But I'm with the OP, this one is better.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• WildbeardWildbeard Member UncommonPosts: 137
    Originally posted by Colt47

Well, to pitch in my own reasons I didn't buy ESO, I found the game spreads itself too thin in the places where it needed more work.  Dungeons, as someone pointed out via a compiled image, are basically the equivalent of four dungeon tiles from pathfinder and have zero depth to them.  From what I've observed of the questing, it's linear and doesn't encourage any kind of exploration of the gaming world off a beaten path.  

Also, outside of the massive pvp battles the entire presentation of the gameplay seems lack-luster.   Bosses being farmed in open world dungeons to the point where their are piles of bodies just laying about the spawn points, the minimal scope of the invasion points is surprising given the scope of some mods in skyrim, and the lack of group questing accommodations is pretty bad.

always great when people who didnt buy the game pitch in ....  mod edit?

Originally posted by keithian

It's the best exploration based themepark game?  Everything I've seen online from reviews and lets plays seems to suggest that it is incredibly boring to explore.  What is there to make exploring worth it for the player?  

see ....this annoys me with humans sometimes..... its like because you see it on fox it gotto be the  truth

• Mordeth123Mordeth123 Member Posts: 15
    Originally posted by Wildbeard

He is pretty much spot on though. I hope some of these things pointed out will be fixed in near future though.

Originally posted by SolarRain

Had a blast from 1 - 50, really enjoyable game and definitely the best themepark mmo I've played since Rift. It actually feels much less themepark than most because of the variety of options open to you for levelling. But once you hit them VR levels be prepared for a major kick in the balls if you're already burned out and fed up with questing, because that becomes your ONLY option. I got to VR2 then almost immediately cancelled my sub. Mobs were giving equivalent exp and gold for about level 20-30 kind of levels.

its good that they raising that then.....also good that they implement that a month or longer from release,....the locust have gotten to VR 10 already, will make it easier for rest to catch up.

I have 4 days 15 hours playtime and am level 35 atm...got several guildies at VR 10 and they still going strong. i hope to get to vet 1  by the time craglorn releases.

Originally posted by Mordeth123
    Originally posted by Wildbeard

He is pretty much spot on though. I hope some of these things pointed out will be fixed in near future though.

game has room for improvement. and it will get it  i believe.....there are concessions to be made.....but am not gonna give up on a babe , just cause she has a pimple and a croocked teeth....cause really , check out that body , and that angelic voice :)

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
     Im glad the OP is enjoyin his game but ESo hit the polar opposite for me as being one of the most dissapointing themeparks in recent history
  • GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

Rift has it beat easily. WoW still has it beat. SWTOR has it beat. EQ2 has it beat. I guess its better than the asian f2p crap.

Wonder what game you were fawning over last time. I'm willing to bet you said the exact same crap then quit in a month or two.

• EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868

I'm VR6 and I'd say it's the best theme park in a long time, overall better (read: more fun) than Rift, GW2, Secret World, LOTRO, EQ2, SWTOR, Aeon, Tera, and pretty much every AAA MMO since WoW.  Also, it's better than WoW.

That being said, it's still not great like it could have been, and there's a lot of basic stuff still missing.  But it's early yet and hopefully they improve it.

Originally posted by Scorchien
     Im glad the OP is enjoyin his game but ESo hit the polar opposite for me as being one of the most dissapointing themeparks in recent history

They talked about it at the MMORPG panel back at PAX east.  The game will survive, be profitable, and probably be a fun game for some.  However, this is definitely one of the games that was conceived back when companies saw the success of WoW, thought that if they could snag some of that pie they would be rich, and ended up getting crowded by about 90+ other people thinking the same thing.   It definitely wont make back the money that was invested into making it or come close to the financial success of Skyrim.

Edit:

Also, to Wildbeard:  people who have chosen not to buy ESO have as much a right to say their own reasons as someone who has bought it and played it.  For that matter, the Fox News analogy is rather off base as that is assuming a LOT of things about a poster that you've probably barely had any interaction with.  

• TyrozTyroz Member Posts: 23

Purchased it on Saturday so I've only dipped my feet into the game, but so far I admit I'm having a blast. I love being able to find loot/crafting materials pretty much anywhere. I know I'm nowhere near giving a real impression about the game but I've went into it with a non-biased attitude and was pleasantly surprised by what I've seen so far.

I'm not rushing to the finish line, I'm going to see if I can get my £70 worth before I decide to sub or not. Only level 5 at the moment, would be higher but I couldn't decide what to start as. Currently trying out a Battle Mage (2handed sword Sorcerer) and loving it, hoping the customization is as good as my imagination. Also heard about the Spellcrafting thing, that will be even better for me being a Sorcerer which is something I'm really looking forward too.

I'll give it a few weeks before I give a real decision about it, but so far it does seem to have potential. I'm especially digging the combat system. Game doesn't look half bad either on Ultra, is a few things that could be better but I'm certainly not going to complain when I've only seen a fraction of what it has to offer.

• svandysvandy Member UncommonPosts: 277

I'm glad you like it OP, really like it based on how much you're posting, but I just don't see it. I like a themepark from time to time, but TESO fell short in every category for me. Gameplay was boring, combat sluggish, classes uninteresting, customization superficial at best, graphics unimaginative, and group play practically non-existant.

The only good reasons I can think of to play TESO are because you are a huge fan of the IP or you won't let your $60+ go to waste.

Please visit my youtube channel for some H1Z1/DayZ casual roleplay videos!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrQoK5VZlwBBzpsksmXtjMQ

• AngztAngzt Member Posts: 230
    Originally posted by Jacxolope
    (...)

-Because I disagree. 

I see ESO as a cash grab and a ton of wasted potential.

On the graphics and music and voice acting- Top notch. The World is stunning imho. Just bland and boring. Pretty colors and great visuals are nice but should be secondary to gameplay.

So we will have to agree to disagree.

Ummm- On the best "theme park" in years- You MAY be right. But imho that isnt saying much.

well, alot of us disagree. with you too 

as i said before, love it or leave it - that's how it works.

i totaly love the game how it is atm, and i seriously hope they won't change it too much for people who don't like it anyway ^^

"believe me, mike.. i calculated the odds of this working against the odds that i was doing something incredibly stupid… and i did it anyway!"