Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Defiance: The New Age of Freedom Coming in June

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Trion Worlds has announced that Defiance will officially be going free to play on June 4th for PC and tentatively on July 15th for PlayStation 3. The team is also in discussions about bringing Defiance to the XBox 360.

Trion Worlds announced today its popular massive online shooter, Defiance, will become free-to-play starting this June 4 on PC. Trion is targeting July 15 on the PlayStation 3™; and currently discussing details about the Xbox 360 release. New players will be able jump in to experience the entire Bay Area storyline, original end-game content and future missions completely for free, so fuel up your roller, load your weapons, and get ready: brand new missions are on the way that will further unfold the unique storyline, coupled with the second season of Defiance, the television series from Syfy.

Find out more on the Defiance site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• akronakron Member UncommonPosts: 38
    Isn't this just a double post?
  • MkilbrideMkilbride Member UncommonPosts: 643

Ha ha  ha.

I told everyone it'd be be F2P in a year.

Help get Camelot Unchained made, a old-school MMORPG, with no hand holding!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    This was predictable.  Given how matters stand at Trion, I wonder what the next step will be.
    "If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Originally posted by Mkilbride

Ha ha  ha.

Yes, it sucks. When you posted that it will go F2P back then you got a warning or a ban.

Now they cheer upon it as if it is the best thing to ever happen to the game.

• zaylinzaylin Member UncommonPosts: 794
    well at least trion makes there games more true to F2P than most, Rift is by far the best F2P I have played, compaired to others with cash shop blocks and such.
  • Starbuck1771Starbuck1771 Member UncommonPosts: 375

Author & Editor please verify facts

When is Defiance going free-to-play?

Defiance will go free-to-play on June 4 for PC. We are targeting July 15 for PS3™ and currently working with Microsoft on plans for Defiance Free-to-Play on Xbox 360®.

The reason they are working on plans with microsoft is because all you have to do to play the game on the 360 is buy the game for $10. So they are not bringing it to the 360 and the PS4 was never mentioned.

• MkilbrideMkilbride Member UncommonPosts: 643
    Originally posted by Volgore

Ha ha  ha.

Yes, it sucks. When you posted that it will go F2P back then you got a warning or a ban.

Indeed, I got a 3 day temp ban for 'trolling' and such, people telling me that "Defiance is different than Rift" and bam, here we are.

I in less than 6 months the  game went from 59.99$ to 9.99$, it wasn't hard to figure out what happened next :P

Help get Camelot Unchained made, a old-school MMORPG, with no hand holding!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained

• ValetharValethar Member UncommonPosts: 16
    Someone lied at Trion when they said Defiance was popular.
  • Master.RyuMaster.Ryu Member UncommonPosts: 52

Ha ha  ha.

Indeed, I got a 3 day temp ban for 'trolling' and such, people telling me that "Defiance is different than Rift" and bam, here we are.

I in less than 6 months the  game went from 59.99$ to 9.99$, it wasn't hard to figure out what happened next :P

They should have given you a cookie for telling them that their own game wouldn't succeed? I don't understand what else you were looking for. 

Played the beta, I'll be looking to give this game a shot.

• DeadlyneDeadlyne Member UncommonPosts: 232
    This one was an obvious stinker.  Everyone predicted this, don't feel special about it.

Just to question the philosophy. Army of Socrates.

• EspionEspion Member UncommonPosts: 62
    I enjoyed the beta, but it had issues that werent fixed. I did buy the game for like 5 to 10 dollars, but never installed it. I love the tv show though!
  • EbanyEbany Member UncommonPosts: 56

I bought the game and the DLC on pre-order, by far the singular most stupid thing I've ever done.  Because of how the patch system worked and the terribly slow speeds I got from their servers it took 2 weeks just to download the game which then failed to install and made me download the whole 50+GB again.  Customer service was absolutely shocking.  Because I managed to login for 8 hours, not play just login, they wouldn't give me a refund on the game or the DLC package.

Will never touch Trion again, they are the worst scum alive.  In fact, thanks to them I no longer pre-order, found games, or do Kickstart.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

It was already B2P with prices as low as $4.99 on special once or twice.

It was already functionally F2P already, for all intents and purposes, so who cares?

• RolleZRolleZ Member UncommonPosts: 42
    Have they fixed the god awful FOV on the PC?
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

How did the game do with the tie-in to the show?  Did they do it and it turned out, "Meh", or did they not really get that off the ground?

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373

Ha ha  ha.

You know if you need your ego stroked, maybe you should just ask.  Might be easier going the direct route.

• CarnicideCarnicide Member UncommonPosts: 222
    Originally posted by SBFord

Trion Worlds has announced that Defiance will officially be going free to play on June 4th for PC and tentatively on July 15th for PlayStation 4. The team is also in discussions about bringing Defiance to the XBox 360.

Am I reading this correctly, or was it a typo? Is it coming to PS4?

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Right now the game cost a few dollars on steam with everything included. As F2P it will have a "voluntary" subscription which mean that you will have to pay to access parts of the game and that stuff will be sold in an itemshop.

I guess we define freedom different ways...

• Starbuck1771Starbuck1771 Member UncommonPosts: 375
    Originally posted by Carnicide

Trion Worlds has announced that Defiance will officially be going free to play on June 4th for PC and tentatively on July 15th for PlayStation 4. The team is also in discussions about bringing Defiance to the XBox 360.

it will not. author didn't check facts.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Originally posted by Starbuck1771
    Originally posted by Carnicide

it will not. author didn't check facts.

Only real journalists/editors do that.