Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EVE Online: Summer Expansion, Kronos, Announced

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

During this weekend's CCP Fanfest 2014, the EVE Online team took to the stage to discuss its new development model that will see up to ten meaningful, yet smaller, content expansions released each year. The summer's first installment in the new development model is Kronos.

Kronos also marks a major shift in EVE development from two expansions per year to around 10 releases annually as CCP aims to deliver more content, more frequently, to its legendary playerbase..

Vast industrial operations are behind the famous player wars that rage across EVE’s sprawling universe, while smaller individual efforts generate wealth, meaning and power at a personal level. Kronos will create dynamic shifts in the industrial landscape by adding cost-scale differences, specialized workers and teams, changes to reprocessing, and more. 

Read more on the EVE Online  site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• IngvarIngvar Member UncommonPosts: 193
    yey for moar internet spaceships
  • ThumbtackJThumbtackJ Member UncommonPosts: 669
    Qo'noS?
  • fearufearu Member UncommonPosts: 288

All small mining related changes, moving ore spawns around, rate changes and a new cloaky mining frigate.

At least ninja mining should get even more interesting.

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    Originally posted by FearU

All small mining related changes, moving ore spawns around, rate changes and a new cloaky mining frigate.

This is just one of things coming in Kronos. Other highlights:

* Mordus Legion faction ships.

* Massive ship rebalancing for Pirate Faction ships.

* Complete rework of industry. (Jobs, slots, and new additions.)

* Lots of other small changes.

Kronos is a fairly large expansion. And the last of its kind for now. CCP will be moving to 6 week iterations/releases from Kronos and forward.

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

I cancelled my 2 accounts because the cost of £80 per year was too much for the small amount of new content that was being introduced twice a year.

My money was being used to fund flops (DUST, WoD). Valkyrie should do OK, but I reckon it will be upstaged by Elite: Dangerous.

I think CCP is also spending too much time, money, and emotional energy on PR. 

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

The mining changes are at best laughable.  Mining is so badly designed it is a joke.  They don't want to change it because they don't want to stir up the 0.0 denizens.  They have abjectly failed to address the mining bot issue and that just about kills any chance of some changes.

Just for an example, I went mining last night in a system with 34 asteroid belts, I gave up trying to find a belt that was not completely mined out.  That is so absurd as to be ridiculous!

About the only thing CCP has going for it, it basically has no competition.  It seems only fantasy MMO's are getting funded these days.

• MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

About the only thing CCP has going for it, it basically has no competition.  It seems only fantasy MMO's are getting funded these days.

My first thought watching in-game footage from Star Citizen and Elite: Dangerous was "Ohhhhh, Eve is in trouble...".

Not, mind, that I think either or both will 'kill' Eve. A lot of Eve's success, such as it is, is based on catering to and encouraging a certain sociopathic bent among its playerbase that, as far as I know, neither game is targeting or even likely to be willing to tolerate. However, Eve, even more so than WoW, has been abundantly blessed for many years with an utter lack of viable competition and it's hard to imagine either Star Citizen nor Elite: Dangerous, if they're at all successful, not having a fairly noticable impact.

Given that, the tendency of late for CCP to seem to be rather flailing about is a bit curious. I wonder if it's just bad timing, or if they are aware enough to realize they could be in some deep serious and just aren't very sure what to do about it.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Originally posted by Mors.Magne

It isn't even that. It's them spending so much money working on games that aren't Eve that have to do with Eve. Dust didn't do very well at all, it might have gained enough to earn them what they spent on it but I really doubt it. Now they are working on another FPS with the oculus rift? After dumping all of the work they had done on WOD? I just feel like as a company they want to grow but don't know how so they are just trying to do everything, which in turn is screwing them over.

• Dr_ShivinskiDr_Shivinski Member UncommonPosts: 311
    Originally posted by Panther2103
    Originally posted by Mors.Magne

It isn't even that. It's them spending so much money working on games that aren't Eve that have to do with Eve. Dust didn't do very well at all, it might have gained enough to earn them what they spent on it but I really doubt it. Now they are working on another FPS with the oculus rift? After dumping all of the work they had done on WOD? I just feel like as a company they want to grow but don't know how so they are just trying to do everything, which in turn is screwing them over.

Someone once said that CCP is less of a game development studio and more of an R&D outfit these days, and I would agree for the most part. But atleast they are polishing the ever living shit out of EVE finally.

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    Originally posted by Myria

Not, mind, that I think either or both will 'kill' Eve. A lot of Eve's success, such as it is, is based on catering to and encouraging a certain sociopathic bent among its playerbase that, as far as I know, neither game is targeting or even likely to be willing to tolerate. However, Eve, even more so than WoW, has been abundantly blessed for many years with an utter lack of viable competition and it's hard to imagine either Star Citizen nor Elite: Dangerous, if they're at all successful, not having a fairly noticable impact.

You are partly right. Neither Elite nor SC will kill EVE. But not for the reasons you state.

If you try to break down what really makes the core EVE players return to the game again and again, you realise that none of those games offer anything remotely similar.

Take a look at Perpetuum. The game, if you look at it like you do with Elite and SC, should have negatively affected EVE. Yet it has not. Once you figure out WHY that is (no, I am not going to explain, sorry), then you see why those two games cant touch EVE.

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

The mining changes are at best laughable.  Mining is so badly designed it is a joke.  They don't want to change it because they don't want to stir up the 0.0 denizens.  They have abjectly failed to address the mining bot issue and that just about kills any chance of some changes.

Just for an example, I went mining last night in a system with 34 asteroid belts, I gave up trying to find a belt that was not completely mined out.  That is so absurd as to be ridiculous!

What are you talking about? The "0.0 denizens" are the ones who most urgently want mining & industry changes

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043
    Originally posted by Myria

My first thought watching in-game footage from Star Citizen and Elite: Dangerous was "Ohhhhh, Eve is in trouble...".

Given that, the tendency of late for CCP to seem to be rather flailing about is a bit curious. I wonder if it's just bad timing, or if they are aware enough to realize they could be in some deep serious and just aren't very sure what to do about it.

I've always been an EVE Fanboi but I knew in the back of my mind, EVE was only where it was because there was nothing to touch it.

That's about to change

and I'd say CCP know it. but like you asked, they don't quite know how to deal with it. In there own words, adapt or die. They might very well be forced to live by the sword.

• XuicatXuicat Member Posts: 4

EVE has been around for 11 years now and isn't going anywhere. It just gets better and better with each new expansion (and now, new releases every 6 weeks).

EVE is the only true sandbox MMO left on the market where player choices and actions still have real consequences and butterfly effect. You can set almost any goal for yourself and engage in any playstyle you want - just remember, every action has a consequence, often unintended.

The best way to get into this game and see if it's for you is to use a 21-day trial code.

https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=ddd0f597-abeb-4f06-9d73-f7f756a235f6&action=buddy

• XuicatXuicat Member Posts: 4

EVE has been around for 11 years now and isn't going anywhere. It just gets better and better with each new expansion (and now, new releases every 6 weeks).

EVE is the only true sandbox MMO left on the market where player choices and actions still have real consequences and butterfly effect. You can set almost any goal for yourself and engage in any playstyle you want - just remember, every action has a consequence, often unintended.

The best way to get into this game and see if it's for you is to use a 21-day trial code.

https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=ddd0f597-abeb-4f06-9d73-f7f756a235f6&action=buddy

• Aison2Aison2 Member CommonPosts: 624
    star citizen is not direct competition to eve. star citizen is to eve as halo is to starcraft. EvE players will especially not like the p2win modell with ships getting sold for $$ in star citizen.

Pi*1337/100 = 42

• CalfisCalfis Member UncommonPosts: 381

There are places in EVE with that many belts and never get mined...