Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If you are playing the AA alpha instead of ESO live

Comments

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    Originally posted by darkhalf357x     I'm playing an alt and will roll my real character when open beta comes around.  Game is a lot of fun.

So the open beta characters are not going to be wiped?

• SkymourneSkymourne Member UncommonPosts: 380
    Originally posted by General-Zod
    Originally posted by Skymourne
    Originally posted by syriinx

One is a game in alpha with numerous, frustrating bugs

the other is Archeage

Fixed.  All joking aside, Archeage seems to be really hitting something with the Western audience.  ESO is gaining a seriously poor reputation with every day that goes by.  I mean think about it, people are paying 150 bucks to play an Alpha instead of playing a game that is supposedly released and is release quality.  The answer is right there.

If you're just going off what people are saying about a game... you will never have the satisfaction of formulating your own opinion. You should try it out... it's nice (all joking aside)

Oh i did.  VR5 Templar.  Quit the game after i realized the Veteran grind was garbage and the fact that the last quest in Cadwell's Sliver(spelled Silver in the game) is bugged.  Oh and the 50 other bugged quests on the way to veteran content.  So yeah, i tried it, so my opinion is well formed.  The game is awful.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    So far this game has been very interesting to play.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

I love people talking about Archeage's alpha having considerably less bugs than ESO's launched client. As if Archeage wasn't released almost a year and a half ago in Korea. Most of the main issues have had plenty of time to remedy..between the actual alpha and betas years ago before the Korean launch. Mostly just bugs arising from translating it over to another market.

Don't get me wrong..I want to play it something fierce and I am playing ESO (and enjoying it immensely)...but come on..AA is only in alpha for the purposes of a new market..and..if we're being honest , bug hunting and feedback is probably not it's primary goal. It is pretty likely that the main reason is so TRION can get founder pack moola before the no-money-down version releases. NMD is really what F2P should be called because , face-it, they expect you to pay something at some point.lol.

Don't get me wrong on the last point either...I fully plan on forking over $150.00 very soon. I will play both..as well as a few other MMOS. I like to have a handful of MMOs with which to alternate depending on my moods and needs. I tend to throw in a few SPGs and FPss/3rdPSs as well.

• MenacerxMenacerx Member UncommonPosts: 21
    Originally posted by BarCrow

I love people talking about Archeage's alpha having considerably less bugs than ESO's launched client. As if Archeage wasn't released almost a year and a half ago in Korea. Most of the main issues have had plenty of time to remedy..between the actual alpha and betas years ago before the Korean launch. Mostly just bugs arising from translating it over to another market.

This right here, everytime someone says Archeage is in Alpha and compares it to ESO in release I just laugh out loud.  AA has been out for a year plus.  ESO just released.  AA is in alpha for translation purposes ONLY.  

AA quests suck, they are just terrible.  And at least until level 21, the level I currently am, it is just a straight quest grind.  

AA graphics are not good at all (yes running at max settings) when people say it looks better than ESO I just shake my head.  

To have a house (which everybody talks about) you HAVE to be a subscriber.  

So ... you can plant crops and sail on a boat .... ok ... so ... stoked ...

The love AA gets and the hate ESO gets, I just don't get it.

Menacer

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    Originally posted by Menacerx

This right here, everytime someone says Archeage is in Alpha and compares it to ESO in release I just laugh out loud.  AA has been out for a year plus.  ESO just released.  AA is in alpha for translation purposes ONLY.  

AA quests suck, they are just terrible.  And at least until level 21, the level I currently am, it is just a straight quest grind.  

AA graphics are not good at all (yes running at max settings) when people say it looks better than ESO I just shake my head.  

Menacer

ESO has been in development actually far longer than AA was.   AA was released in Korea and had far less bugs than ESO has and had less development time.   When beta testers like me reported bugs for ESO they went unfixed and ignored.   Even right up until release they went live...lots and lots if them.    There is no excuse for that.   

• SkymourneSkymourne Member UncommonPosts: 380

Menacer

Matter of opinion i suppose.  Sure, Archeage has been out for a while overseas, but the Western audience is getting their hands on it for the first time and it has no bugs and that looks wonderful to many people, especially if they just played ESO. Bug, exploiting, and cheating central.  A lot of folks are tired of these games launching in such a dilapidated state.  I'm personally not going to keep excusing the behavior over and over again.  Have a better launch and this won't happen.

• BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
    I'm really tempted to purchase ArcheAge. I've been watching that game for so long now, lol. However, it's in alpha which means character wipes. Which is making me hesitant.

So true, no need investing in a character that will be wiped it will just lead to early burnout and from the looks of this game I really don't want to burnout before I get to the good stuff. I'll be waiting.

• ubermutubermut Member UncommonPosts: 272
    Originally posted by Braindome
    I'm really tempted to purchase ArcheAge. I've been watching that game for so long now, lol. However, it's in alpha which means character wipes. Which is making me hesitant.

So true, no need investing in a character that will be wiped it will just lead to early burnout and from the looks of this game I really don't want to burnout before I get to the good stuff. I'll be waiting.

ya I hear ya, I usually don't play betas for this reason.  however, this game is very complex, the world is huge, and the systems are deep.  Plus things like finding hidden spots so you can plant your tree farms are actually very helpful in this game, or where to find other peoples hidden farms and steal their goods.  

My point is, for once there is a game where I don't give a damn if I get wiped, learning the systems and getting real life experience makes it worth it for me and I feel like I'm progressing myself in terms of getting a several month head start of play experience.

yikes that doesn't make a lot of sense but, loving the game :) been playing constantly and still don't know crap about so much.  It's an exciting feeling that I thought I wouldn't experience again w/ modern mmos. 

150$ tho is a ton of money and it sucks they are charging that for alpha.  I'm embarrassed that I paid it but am having a blast.

• JeepEscapeJeepEscape Member UncommonPosts: 64
    Originally posted by ubermut
    Originally posted by Braindome

ya I hear ya, I usually don't play betas for this reason.  however, this game is very complex, the world is huge, and the systems are deep.  Plus things like finding hidden spots so you can plant your tree farms are actually very helpful in this game, or where to find other peoples hidden farms and steal their goods.  

My point is, for once there is a game where I don't give a damn if I get wiped, learning the systems and getting real life experience makes it worth it for me and I feel like I'm progressing myself in terms of getting a several month head start of play experience.

yikes that doesn't make a lot of sense but, loving the game :) been playing constantly and still don't know crap about so much.  It's an exciting feeling that I thought I wouldn't experience again w/ modern mmos. 

150$ tho is a ton of money and it sucks they are charging that for alpha.  I'm embarrassed that I paid it but am having a blast.

I explained this to my daughter today.  A game like ArcheAge is complex enough that even playing it pre-release isn't likely to burn you out.  It's more like getting a chance to learn the games systems early so you can just take off with a plan a launch.  I played Star Wars Galaxies for 3 years and never got bored.  This game seems to have enough to keep me busy for a long while past launch, at least.  It's not all that far off either.

• LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    Originally posted by MMOredfalcon
    Originally posted by MMOredfalcon

Acheage features : making a unique character class, 

ESO features:  decent skill system 

Come on now.  ESO's skill system allows for more uniqueness than AA.  

ArcheAge certainly has more to do, but ESO does actually have a more sandboxy class system.  AA still comes down to the old 3 skill tree approach.

You're possibly right. I haven't reached max level in AA to tell you differently. But still the point is....how does ESO really beat AA in all other features? I don't recall in ESO being able to build your own house or boat. Or growing your own resources. Having to raise your own pets/mounts. 

Honestly, I don't care about any of those things and neither do many MMO'ers. I'm not saying they're bad, but those opinions aren't shared by the masses playing all the tons of other MMORPG's out there.

• fantasyfreak112fantasyfreak112 Member Posts: 499

One is a game with numerous, frustrating bugs

the other is in alpha

Epic yet fitting response.

• Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023
    Originally posted by eyesadi

Quite simply, a far better game.....AND

Were in Alpha!

By the time we get to compare final versions your question will be totally rhetorical....

There simply is no comparison tween the two.

A/A is GOTY material.

You heard it here first.......

...no offense, but this gets wrongly said so many times - this is just a translation it is not a normal alpha -there will not be any huge changes for release. Beta will start in june and then open in august which means a release in fall - no big changes will be seen till then.

give me aa with eso quests, class system and combat and a slightly improved engine and im hooked...
  • SinsaiSinsai Member UncommonPosts: 405

Because it's free, period.

I paid nothing for my invite.

• MenacerxMenacerx Member UncommonPosts: 21
    Originally posted by Teala

ESO has been in development actually far longer than AA was.   AA was released in Korea and had far less bugs than ESO has and had less development time.   When beta testers like me reported bugs for ESO they went unfixed and ignored.   Even right up until release they went live...lots and lots if them.    There is no excuse for that.   

AA started development in 2006.

ESO started development in 2007.  

Not sure where you are getting that "ESO has been in development far longer than AA" from.   But whatever.  

The bug thing is very frustrating, taking your time to report something and then developers not really seeming to care sucks.

But I am still confused as to why AA is the "golden child" of MMORPG.com.  To each his own.  

Menacer

• MachkeznhoMachkeznho Member UncommonPosts: 424

150$ for an Alpha that will eventually launch into a F2P title? Um let me think about that....no

Why when i can just wait for it to go free to play try it out and see if its worthy of putting money into (at which point im sure you will get far more in return for spending that 150$ at that point in time as most companies dont give a crap about testers).  I would be far more concerned with the crowd that will be playing AA if anything else I am not sure I want to invest time into an MMORPG with the F2P rift-raft cesspool at my side..

• AngztAngzt Member Posts: 230

just for the record, this is surely NOT an alpha. and if the devs call it this way, it's getting worse and worse every day....

"uh what phase are we in?" "no idea, but our game is buggy as hell, let's call it alpha, no idea what that means but i bet the players will love to say 'haha, i was in alpha, damn noob!'"

"believe me, mike.. i calculated the odds of this working against the odds that i was doing something incredibly stupid… and i did it anyway!"

• DivonaDivona Member UncommonPosts: 189

I'm playing both. At the moment I'm liking the story quests in ESO over ArcheAge, and the smoothness of their animation. It just feel more polish, while ArcheAge still giving me that eastern MMORPG grinding feel to it. It could be the art style, world design, UI, I'm not quite point my finger directly at it. It just bothering me a bit while playing.

Currently, I'm playing ArcheAge to understand it game functions, what it has to offer. Even with $150 up front, the community still feel a little toxic. It could turn to be even worst when the game goes live. The game is OK to play, but still not as polish as western MMORPG standard. Combat could have been improve. I don't like the holding button to spam skill bit. What good about ArcheAge is the sandbox bit. I like it farming, housing system, and trading between region.

When I actually want to have some fun adventuring, I login to ESO. Questing in that game is much better.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

But I am still confused as to why AA is the "golden child" of MMORPG.com.  To each his own.  

Because MMOs started with features that allowed for you to play in a living breathing world.

Something that has been slowly lost and drained away from the genre over the years.  This game (ArcheAge) brings back the classic feel of UO,EQ, and SWG.  You know, the golden age of MMOs. 

Golden age = Golden Child. 

Hope that helps.

i kinda dont like the idea of going through 50 lvls of tedious grinding and questiong (assuming from what i heard the quests and combat are rather boring) just to get to the good stuff...its kinda meh...
  • Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654
    Originally posted by Nemesis7884
    i kinda dont like the idea of going through 50 lvls of tedious grinding and questiong (assuming from what i heard the quests and combat are rather boring) just to get to the good stuff...its kinda meh...

Hmm interesting, I've heard you can immediately start gathering and crafting and building right away, that you can level by gathering etc.

So I think you might want to check that.

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789

Let me explain how trion does testing. (Atleast with Rift and Defiance)

Alpha is the 24/7 testing server.

Beta is a SEPARATE server that has beta weekends for stress testing.

Alpha will be rolled into the PTS server.

There will be a wipe before release.

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• Walkyier70Walkyier70 Member UncommonPosts: 67

why ?   bored of everything out there

aa is worth every cent alpha has been more then what i expected

i can go down the list of comparisons between eso but its all irrelevant

safe to say when aa launches itll put all this other stuff to shame

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

People seem to forget XL Games launched AA almost what ? 2 years ago ?
    ESO launched 1 month ago.
    Cant realy make a fair judgement on bugs do we :P ?

I am frustated alot by many ESO bugs, skill delays in EU, passives not working properly, high respec costs etc etc.
    Yet when most of that stuff is fixed ESO has something magical.

I would rate ESO a 6/10 atm due to numerous things that makes me rage.
    But sometimes everything is working flawlessly and when it does i must admit i havent had this feeling since the early days of mmo's...

Toss in Radeon Pro / ESO launcher and a nice preset and this mmo is pure yaw dropping eye candy.
    Gameplay in both PVE and PVP is beyond epic.
    By far the most immersive mmo ever created.

I am looking forward to AA, but will not buy it due to character wipes so ESO it is :)
    Zenimax needs to be on the ball and give it 250% and bring us EU servers to make this mmo playeble in Europe.