Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If you are playing the AA alpha instead of ESO live

d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878

Why?

This question is directed at people who have purchased both ESO and the AA founder's pack which gives alpha access, as the title implies.

Comments

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383

One is a game with numerous, frustrating bugs

the other is in alpha

real answer:  different people like different things.  I dont think one game is better than the other from what I have seen, they are just different.

• LiquidElectronLiquidElectron Member UncommonPosts: 18
    Why does what other people choose to do with their time and money bother some people so badly?
  • eyesadieyesadi Member UncommonPosts: 56

Quite simply, a far better game.....AND

Were in Alpha!

By the time we get to compare final versions your question will be totally rhetorical....

There simply is no comparison tween the two.

A/A is GOTY material.

You heard it here first.......

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    Originally posted by LiquidElectron
    Why does what other people choose to do with their time and money bother some people so badly?

It doesn't bother me. I'm thinking about buying.

• MMOredfalconMMOredfalcon Member UncommonPosts: 167

Acheage features : Housing, boats, crafting, open world PvP, Factions PvP, PvE, no loading screens, lots of skills, making a unique character class, boat PvP, castles built by players, mounts, pet system Decent graphics, and not so buggy.

ESO features: PvE questing. Faction PvP, mounts, crafting, decent skill system and decent graphics......a lot more bugs.

So the real question is....why limit your gaming experience to ESO Live when you could be playing a fun game like AA?

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,625
    Purchased ESO and loved it. Friends did not. After a while of playing by myself, I decided not to resub. Purchased AA alpha, and so did friends. Been having a great time ever since.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Member UncommonPosts: 604
    Once you actually step into the world of ArcheAge you get lost in it's beauty.  I am in no way a graphics snob either being that I am currently playing runescape as my main game. It just looks like and feels like an actual world you are inhabiting.  ESO felt a little funneled and to be honest I was not a fan of the combat and well, having to do the same quest 15 times.
  • syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Originally posted by MMOredfalcon

Acheage features : making a unique character class, 

ESO features:  decent skill system 

Come on now.  ESO's skill system allows for more uniqueness than AA.  

ArcheAge certainly has more to do, but ESO does actually have a more sandboxy class system.  AA still comes down to the old 3 skill tree approach.

• JeepEscapeJeepEscape Member UncommonPosts: 64

Quite frankly, ESO is a game that is holding on to the same old themepark standards that we've all played for the past *decade* now, where AA brings more open world and emergent gameplay to the table.  AA is not a game for someone looking for an easy, super-casual experience.  You work for what you get in AA, and that makes it all the better.

I've seen a few AA people post that they aren't excited about the quests, and that's because this game isn't about the quests.  You can quest, and to get some faster XP, you should quest to some extent, but the game is about much more than that.  If you try to play this like Guild Wars 2, you won't last long.  If you get off the quest train and start enjoying time with your guildmates, exploring, crafting, trying some PvP (or supporting your guild's PvP players with crafting, healing, buffs, whatever) on land or sea, then you will find a whole new MMORPG adventure has arrived. 

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878

Okay, you guys talked me into it (as I was hoping you would).

I've bought it and I'm downloading it now.

• VooDoo_PapaVooDoo_Papa Member UncommonPosts: 897
    Originally posted by bestever
    Originally posted by syriinx

ArcheAge certainly has more to do, but ESO does actually have a more sandboxy class system.  AA still comes down to the old 3 skill tree approach.

Sorry ESO's skill system is not more sandboxy then the class system in AA. You can build anything you want. It's not based off of weapons, its based on a bunch of classes and you can choose 3 at a time like rift. It's the best class system I've ever seen.

ya know, having 3 class trees isn't quite the same as the vast amount of skills and abilities you can choose in ESO. I mean you mention only weapons and forget about the 3 class trees, guild skills, race skills, armor skills. 

though comparing the skill system in AA to rift was pretty close, but Rift is a bit more complex

• MMOredfalconMMOredfalcon Member UncommonPosts: 167

You're possibly right. I haven't reached max level in AA to tell you differently. But still the point is....how does ESO really beat AA in all other features? I don't recall in ESO being able to build your own house or boat. Or growing your own resources. Having to raise your own pets/mounts. Or a large open world without loading screens.... How does ESO compare to those features? AA does have much more to do,  well worth the price of admission...and is certainly worthy of a monthly sub game.

Of course that is my opinion...to each their own.

• sinnerbylawsinnerbylaw Member Posts: 11
    AA has 10 classes, and you have to pick 3 classes together. Which means 30 different ways you can combine them, but the thing that sucks is that you only get 23 skill points. You also need 12 skill points to get the last passive skill of any class, so you can max out the passive skills of only one class.
  • elvenwolfelvenwolf Member UncommonPosts: 146

I can buy the alpha access only after the 10th of this month... I am hoping to be in time to buy it, seeing I understand is somehow limited... Should I be too late I'll go for the gold prepurchase.

What attract me to AA , for what I have seen so far is that it seem to feel more like a world, to explain, when I logged in Vanguard, I felt the sky was the limit, roaming around seeking hidden corners, looking from afar a storm develope, and knowing that if I could see it, I could try to reach it, and maybe fall into a dungeon or some breathtaking vista.

This is the feeling I hope to reach when I log intoAA. and for what I have seen, is more probable I find something like this inAA than ESO. 

This is for me the reason I'll go more toward AA than ESO.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067
    I am getting this but closer to beta since I am buying the beta which I understand is in June.
    Chamber of Chains
  • SkymourneSkymourne Member UncommonPosts: 380

One is a game in alpha with numerous, frustrating bugs

the other is Archeage

Fixed.  All joking aside, Archeage seems to be really hitting something with the Western audience.  ESO is gaining a seriously poor reputation with every day that goes by.  I mean think about it, people are paying 150 bucks to play an Alpha instead of playing a game that is supposedly released and is release quality.  The answer is right there.

• General-ZodGeneral-Zod Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Originally posted by Skymourne

the other is Archeage

Fixed.  All joking aside, Archeage seems to be really hitting something with the Western audience.  ESO is gaining a seriously poor reputation with every day that goes by.  I mean think about it, people are paying 150 bucks to play an Alpha instead of playing a game that is supposedly released and is release quality.  The answer is right there.

If you're just going off what people are saying about a game... you will never have the satisfaction of formulating your own opinion. You should try it out... it's nice (all joking aside)

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    Originally posted by Skymourne

the other is Archeage

I think you are right Skymourne.  Look at the mess ESO has been since beta.   Bugs, exploits, poorly executed game play mechanics - and these persist into the released game.  Now take a game that has been out for over a year in Korea, that is being released in the west with more polish and far better game play mechanics and content.   ESO maybe a released game, but it cannot compete with a game that doesn't have all the bugs, exploits, and just crappy game play mechanics.    ArcheAge wins.    I'd much rather spend money on a game like ArcheAge rather than a half-baked, bug ridden game like ESO.

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701
    Originally posted by cheyane
    I am getting this but closer to beta since I am buying the beta which I understand is in June.

Same here, although I am loving ESO in the meantime as well.

• GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894

I have them both and enjoy them both but AA will be wiped. Until that happens I do not want to get too invested. Until then I just level through ESO and by the time I'm vet Rank I'm sure Craglorn will be out. 

Once AA wipes are done I'll be in that pretty hardcore.

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701
    Originally posted by Grakulen

I have them both and enjoy them both but AA will be wiped. Until that happens I do not want to get too invested. Until then I just level through ESO and by the time I'm vet Rank I'm sure Craglorn will be out. 

by the time I am vet ranked, AA will be out lol

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911

As far as I am aware the alpha server won't be wiped unless Trion are left with no realistic choice. The Alpha server will eventually become the test server. I don't know if we will have the option of a character transfer when Beta comes around, seems pretty unlikely.

In regards to the question, I'm simply bored of themeparks. I find them really unrewarding. I need to take risks where I can win big and lose big. Not just a little XP and armour or a small debuff butt something more meaningful.

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237
    Originally posted by d_20

Why?

This question is directed at people who have purchased both ESO and the AA founder's pack which gives alpha access, as the title implies.

I bought ESO. I bought Wildstar. And Archeum in ArcheAge.

I'll be honest, ESO started to give me that old everquest feeling that I haven't had in years.  It is a lot of fun and I was enjoying it.  The questing was engaging and the world felt vast.

I guess when I step back and look at  the meta, under the covers its still a linear quest based (though good) framework and while it allows me to progress almost endless it doesn't allow me to develop my character.

I started ArcheAge alpha and the questing was subpar.  The combat was older and the systems were a bit awkward. But you know what I absolutely love it.  With all of its flaws it gives a great sense of wonder and actually really allows you to do whatever you want. I am only level 13 and I've barely seen anything.  The game surprises me.  In one area (there are no zones that I have found yet, but probably exist) I heard a rumbling sound and couldn't figure out what it was until I was covered by a huge shadow.  Looking up I see the huge zepplin fly overhead.  I run up to board one.  The vistas are breath taking.  Then I decide to jump off and use my glider to a new area... except it didn't open and I fell to my death.  I haven't had that much fun in I don't know how long.  

I can play something like that for a long time.  The other MMOs get boring after max level.

ESO gives you a great story to play through.  ArcheAge gives you a great world to live in.

Its a matter of choice of which you enjoy better.

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237
    Originally posted by Arakazi

As far as I am aware the alpha server won't be wiped unless Trion are left with no realistic choice. The Alpha server will eventually become the test server. I don't know if we will have the option of a character transfer when Beta comes around, seems pretty unlikely.

In regards to the question, I'm simply bored of themeparks. I find them really unrewarding. I need to take risks where I can win big and lose big. Not just a little XP and armour or a small debuff butt something more meaningful.

Alpha will be live 24/7 and will become the public test server.  You will never be able to transfer your characters. I'm playing an alt and will roll my real character when open beta comes around.  Game is a lot of fun.